New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Not quite new magical items

I am going to start my first time as DM and am looking at magical items as treasure and character creation

We are going to start out at level two. One player who is running the cleric asked if he could start out with a wand of cure light wounds that only has 10 charges and only pay 10% of the DMG listed price. I am leaning towards saying yes just so he can start with a wand. This then lead me to thinking about treasure as we adventure.

AS a DM, will you let the party find magical items with less than a full charge as treasure? Find a wand that only has 25 charges instead of the full 50? Stumble across a robe of useful things with some of the patches and mundane items already used? That way they gain access to higher level spell wands or magical items before they would if I waited for things to be fully charged. How does that change the dynamics of game play with that early access when rolling up treasures or characters.

Say yes or no but also give an example or reasoning why or why not.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Not quite new magical items

Finding items with less than full capacity is perfectly sensible, although the mathematical reduction in value should always be measured against their impactfulness. After all, smart opponents will want to use those items themselves, which will consume charges.

Now, buying is a different story. I won't let players buy a partially-charged item.
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

As a DM I let my players finds partially charged as long as it does not give me more work.
    For exemple, a partially charged wand or staff is fine, but for the robe of bones or useful item, it is too much tracking.

I also allow not full wand/staves in some sort of shop like general traders but not in other like temple or magic shop.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I usually roll 2 d20s and a d10 to determine the number of charges left on a found wand. If the result ends up being below 25, I'll usually add 10 to the number of charges left.
    Check out my Campaign World, Hiltmarch
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...ikis/main-page

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Somewhere, Conan the Barbarian refuses to weep, and instead curses Crom for permitting WotC to botch his class so badly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by titans4ever View Post
    This then lead me to thinking about treasure as we adventure.
    For treasure I would really recommend giving them one of the feather tokens, preferrably an anchor or a tree. Itīs use is only limited by their creativity.

I am in favour of giving pcīs wands with less charges for a very simple reason. It gives them more options without hurting their WBL a lot. This is especially useful when you have a low power campain, or campain with tier ones banned, as wands increase character versatility by a lot.
    Last edited by evangaline; 2014-10-01 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimheul View Post
    *slow clap* That is an absolutely beautiful, completely in character post for a tech priest. *wipes tear from eye*
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    I'm just not sure if I should back away slowly, or arrest the man. But on what charges? There are so many...

Unnatural acts of tech sorcery? Theft? Coveting thee neighbors skull? Illegal punning?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by titans4ever View Post
    We are going to start out at level two. One player who is running the cleric asked if he could start out with a wand of cure light wounds that only has 10 charges and only pay 10% of the DMG listed price. I am leaning towards saying yes just so he can start with a wand. This then lead me to thinking about treasure as we adventure.
    I don't know if this was your math mistake, the player's, or both, but only paying 10% for 10 charges should be out of the question. 10 charges is 20% of a full wand (10/50 charges or 1/5).

Otherwise, it's reasonable to let your players buy used wands. If you want to randomize the number of charges a bit to keep a semblance of verisimilitude, that is reasonable. There will be a market for used wands so the player should be able to buy used wands. For common spells like Cure Light Wounds, the market is probably robust enough that the player can get a used wand with approximately the number of charges he wants, but not necessarily exactly 10 charges.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agincourt View Post
    I don't know if this was your math mistake, the player's, or both, but only paying 10% for 10 charges should be out of the question. 10 charges is 20% of a full wand (10/50 charges or 1/5).

Otherwise, it's reasonable to let your players buy used wands. If you want to randomize the number of charges a bit to keep a semblance of verisimilitude, that is reasonable. There will be a market for used wands so the player should be able to buy used wands. For common spells like Cure Light Wounds, the market is probably robust enough that the player can get a used wand with approximately the number of charges he wants, but not necessarily exactly 10 charges.
    Yeah, that was my math mistake. I just didn't want to spend a lot of time figuring prices every time they go into town. I like the idea of full charged items in stores but on the street or vendors may have some items with less than full items.