New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld thread IV: In memory of King Saline

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh.

Now why would the Great Minds be withholding that sort of information from Parson? While I can think of a few possible explanations, only one of them seems likely and satisfying in any measure to me - that being that they intend to use Parson to defeat Charlie, but afterwards turn against Gobwin Knob and dismantle Stanley and/or Wanda as well. Scary.

The interactions between Parson and Maggie when they are not talking about secrets and strategies, on the other hand, are as charming, adorable and a little bit sad as always.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Something just twigged after reading this update:

Spoiler
    Show
    Has it ever been commented on just how similar Archons are to Decrypted units when it comes to how they view their, for the lack of a better word, masters? It probably has but since I don't religiously read these threads, I don't recall it coming up before.

It was the thinkamancy link that made me realize what was probably blidingly obvious to others (in that they are very similar). Makes me wonder if the thinkamancy link is what causes that love/obsession/whatever.

Perhaps not completely as the decrypted Archons still had feelings for Charlie, IIRC. But I do wonder if that is a large part of it.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Something just twigged after reading this update:

Spoiler
    Show
    Has it ever been commented on just how similar Archons are to Decrypted units when it comes to how they view their, for the lack of a better word, masters? It probably has but since I don't religiously read these threads, I don't recall it coming up before.

It was the thinkamancy link that made me realize what was probably blidingly obvious to others (in that they are very similar). Makes me wonder if the thinkamancy link is what causes that love/obsession/whatever.

Perhaps not completely as the decrypted Archons still had feelings for Charlie, IIRC. But I do wonder if that is a large part of it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it's clear in any case that something about Arkentools makes the units linked to them - dwagons for the 'hammer, Archons for the 'dish, Decrypted for the 'pliers - (almost) unerringly loyal to the person attuned to the respective tool. Whether that's the thinkamancy strings Maggie is talking about in the latest update or not is probably of minor importance - severing that thinkamancy, if she is right, would destroy the attunement, thus ending the blind loyalty regardless of which magical effect of the 'tools exactly is causing it (though, as you say, some affection may remain).

I find it curious that the Arkenshoes seem to not have had any type of unit tied to it - that's unique amongst the 'tools we know about thus far. Maybe there was such a unit type, and Judy just never found out what those were and how to tame or create them...
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2014-11-25 at 05:23 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

4. - Top - End - #484
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    I think the Arkenhammer might be a little different than the Pliers and Dish. It tames Dwagons rather than is involved in their creation. So it may as less vulnerable to have it's powers turned off. We actually already knew that the Dycrpted could break away as we saw it in Book 2. Wanda is actually aware of the fact as well.

Wild Speculation I wonder if the person that is going to get the Arkenshoes is Jillian?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the Arkenhammer might be a little different than the Pliers and Dish. It tames Dwagons rather than is involved in their creation. So it may as less vulnerable to have it's powers turned off. We actually already knew that the Dycrpted could break away as we saw it in Book 2. Wanda is actually aware of the fact as well.

Wild Speculation I wonder if the person that is going to get the Arkenshoes is Jillian?
    Spoiler: The Arkenshoes
    Show
    The Arkenshoes are, as far as we know, gone from Erfworld. Overlady Judy clicked her heels and went home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Show
    The Arkenshoes are, as far as we know, gone from Erfworld. Overlady Judy clicked her heels and went home.
    Spoiler
    Show
    But did they STAY there though? Think a moment to the spell that could send Parson home. The only thing it does is break the Ultimate Warlord Spell keeping Parson in Erfworld. After the shoes took Judy home, they may have been forced to return to Erfworld. Of maybe Judy figured out a way to send them back. It's just a wild guess though. :)
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    But did they STAY there though? Think a moment to the spell that could send Parson home. The only thing it does is break the Ultimate Warlord Spell keeping Parson in Erfworld. After the shoes took Judy home, they may have been forced to return to Erfworld. Of maybe Judy figured out a way to send them back. It's just a wild guess though. :)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in the actual Wizard of Oz books, the shoes slipped off Dorothy's feet while transporting her back home - which did not interrupt her being transported back home, mind - and dropped down to Oz again (or more accurately, into the Deadly Desert). I would be immensely surprised if anything happened that was not Judy losing the Arkenshoes while returning home, with the 'shoes themselves returning to Erfworld.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    It seems plausible that the shoes remain somewhere on Erfworld though.

They're probably associated with munchkins or something similar.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The magic to break the link would be turnamancy wouldn't it? Maybe it wasn't Jillian that Charlie was mainly interested in protecting?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in the actual Wizard of Oz books, the shoes slipped off Dorothy's feet while transporting her back home - which did not interrupt her being transported back home, mind - and dropped down to Oz again (or more accurately, into the Deadly Desert). I would be immensely surprised if anything happened that was not Judy losing the Arkenshoes while returning home, with the 'shoes themselves returning to Erfworld.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I DID remember that correctly then. Wasn't sure about the shoes dropping off when Dororthy went back home.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Huh.

Now why would the Great Minds be withholding that sort of information from Parson? While I can think of a few possible explanations, only one of them seems likely and satisfying in any measure to me - that being that they intend to use Parson to defeat Charlie, but afterwards turn against Gobwin Knob and dismantle Stanley and/or Wanda as well. Scary.

The interactions between Parson and Maggie when they are not talking about secrets and strategies, on the other hand, are as charming, adorable and a little bit sad as always.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Thinkamancers probably judged that the information wasn't actionable, and revealed too much about how Thinkamancy works to be worth it. It's also possible that only Maggie knows about how the links can be severed, and that the information she claims the Thinkamancers are keeping from him is how Thinkamancy itself works, which we've already established they do so they have a trick up their sleeve at all times.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope Jillian doesn't end up with them. I don't want to see what she would even try to do with unlimited move. I believe the shoes do not bestow their effect on any other unit besides the wearer, right? Cause if it did and she decided to stack up some gwiffons and go after Ansom...

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope Jillian doesn't end up with them. I don't want to see what she would even try to do with unlimited move. I believe the shoes do not bestow their effect on any other unit besides the wearer, right? Cause if it did and she decided to stack up some gwiffons and go after Ansom...
    Spoiler: arkenshoes
    Show

the effects of an attuned arkentool are exceptional and beyond the standard level of power... so (for the shoes) they could easily apply to the whole stack the wearer is in. We don't know.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-11-25 at 02:36 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    The hobs and gobwins committed the regicide. Stanley was simply the one that benefited when he made them become allied again. There is still plausible deniability that Stan was the cause of the whole thing though. Even Sizemore didn't outright state that he believed that Stanley was the cause of Saline's death. Having it confirmed will almost certainly cause ripple effects, or else why have this set up to begin with?

It might not be other nations either. Maybe Charlie messages Sizemore and this bit of info becomes the last straw and causes him to defect. He really hates his kingdom right now, so I could see him being pushed into turning traitor.
    They may go for the theme of mind control. Very early in the summer updates there was update with Vurp and Parson and it ended with Vurp feeling loyalty for Parson. Charley can and does ruthless use his thinkamancy to alter people's loyalties and mind. Parson does inspire people to follow him out of their own decision. Maybe they will find out if loyalty and trust are simple stats or if they are more. And from Vurp's last look he seems to have regrets about the change of alliance.

For Sizemore is may mean something, but I think he already guessed it. And he doesn't really have anywhere to go; Gobwin Knob is his home and even in the Magic Kingdom Janis wants him to stay with Parson.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I think they are still in Earthworld. This would mean that only Parson is able to bring them back with the carnymancy scroll. Maybe he will attune and bring them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

One common theory I've seen with the Arkenshoes is that Parson will use the scroll to go back to earth, find the Arkenshoes, and use them to return to Erfworld, which he now considers his "home."

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Spoiler: arkenshoes
    Show

the effects of an attuned arkentool are exceptional and beyond the standard level of power... so (for the shoes) they could easily apply to the whole stack the wearer is in. We don't know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That doesn't actually like much of an upgrade though. Lone assassin to strike team is nice, but not a terrible game changer. Maybe with mastery you can move all forces under your command in the hex? Teleporting an army seems about on par with decryption. Requiring some preparation to maximize effectiveness, but a total game breaker once the conditions are fulfilled. And like decryption, the set up is fragile enough to lose everything if you get careless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    They may go for the theme of mind control. Very early in the summer updates there was update with Vurp and Parson and it ended with Vurp feeling loyalty for Parson. Charley can and does ruthless use his thinkamancy to alter people's loyalties and mind.
    True, but that's hardly something he has a monopoly on. Every turnamancer trades in at least the former, and pretty much every Ruler whether they like it or not uses some form of mind control. Point being, it was already essentially a part of the story, merely one of a dozen subsystems that keep everyone in line.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agreed. Between the literary allusion and the fact we know now it takes a magical effect for Parson merely to stay in Erfworld, it seems pretty likely we'll be seeing the shoes showing up in Erfworld again. Another attuned side entering the conflict at some point feels right, considering the widening scope book 3 has. Once this war spreads far enough, I imagine we'll be seeing Digdoug again. Someone is trying to defeat Charlie? Why yes we'd love to ally with Gobwin Knob.

Spoiler: On a completely different note...
    Show

"It looks lovely Lord. *looks at pillows* And quite comfortable, I'd imagine."
    "You own it all, by right of conquest, Lord. You oughtn't to be afraid to handle what is yours."

Look Maggie, this is all very well and entertaining...but this is still too subtle. That fact that you gave him copious amounts of alcohol also seems to working at cross purposes here.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: With regards to the flashback panel
    Show
    So Parson has heard of Death Note, or at least his shirt has. The manga was originally serialized in 2003-2006, and the anime broadcast 2006-2007 (and as I remember it, the manga was pretty obscure in America before the anime got popular). When exactly did Erfworld start, again? And does that make the reference at least somewhat anachronistic?

18. - Top - End - #498
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Show
    So Parson has heard of Death Note, or at least his shirt has. The manga was originally serialized in 2003-2006, and the anime broadcast 2006-2007 (and as I remember it, the manga was pretty obscure in America before the anime got popular). When exactly did Erfworld start, again? And does that make the reference at least somewhat anachronistic?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Parson got sent to Erfworld in the present day, minus however long he's been in Erfworld. Otherwise his earlier references to more recent Internet memes would be anachronistic.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EnragedFilia View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suspect the Earthworld he left is stuck in Comic Book Time™, and thus will always have some slightly-out-of-date references and such.

That said, Erfworld was somewhere in the middle of Book 1 when I joined in late 2007, IIRC.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's past 24 hours so stripping spoiler bars...

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I suspect the Earthworld he left is stuck in Comic Book Time™, and thus will always have some slightly-out-of-date references and such.

That said, Erfworld was somewhere in the middle of Book 1 when I joined in late 2007, IIRC.
    Erfworld launched on GitP Dec 7th, 2006 according to Wikipedia.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Calling it now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson break's charlie's attunement with the dish, causing the Archons to revert to their true master, who just happens to be "The only enemy worth fighting" thus killing off Charlie, wand "TOEWF" will be very hostile to Gobwin Knob and really most of the world. This is what causes Wanda to break with Parson, as she considers being attuned to the Pliers fated and thus Parson is going against Fate by breaking attunements.

Incoming addition to it as a joke

TOEWF it is an Elvis Impersonator(Titan)..who is trying to get his Satellite Dish, his hammer his pliers and his slippers so he can watch the super bowl.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2014-11-26 at 08:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Orc in the Playground

Aaaaand the schedule breaks, with multiple excuses. (Oddly, comics like Penny Arcade, Unsounded, Gunnerkrigg, etc all had no difficulty posting updates today.)

This indicates that there is exactly zero buffer for text updates, illustrated text updates, or full comic pages. It was my assumption that having a full-time paid art team (David plus unnamed minions) would avoid having this problem recur. I wonder how long before he starts to blame the artist again for delays?

23. - Top - End - #503
    Bugbear in the Playground

I count 13 comic/text/hybrid updates in the past month, and about the same number the month before. That's been plenty to maintain my interest. Actually, I just went back and read some of the old text stuff that I'd never gotten around to, so my interest in Erfworld is higher than it's been in a while.

Mostly unrelated, and at the risk of kicking a hornet's nest: after going through Book 0, my appreciation of Jillian as a character has increased.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    Mostly unrelated, and at the risk of kicking a hornet's nest: after going through Book 0, my appreciation of Jillian as a character has increased.
    It at least manages to make her later behaviour a whole lot more understandable and forgiveable. She may not have been the sharpest before, either, but I am willing to cut somebody a hell of a lot more slack knowing that they have been
    Spoiler
    Show
    subjected to terrible mental torture, made addicted to gruesome mind-influencing drugs, and then had whole pieces of their mind and soul ripped to shreds.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    That's not surprising; she's at her most sympathetic in book 0.

26. - Top - End - #506

It at least manages to make her later behaviour a whole lot more understandable and forgiveable. She may not have been the sharpest before, either, but I am willing to cut somebody a hell of a lot more slack knowing that they have been
    Spoiler
    Show
    subjected to terrible mental torture, made addicted to gruesome mind-influencing drugs, and then had whole pieces of their mind and soul ripped to shreds.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aye, though for me, it was more the treatment she endured at the hands of FAQ's court than anything that Wanda or Olive or Charlie put her through. The court's attitude towards Jillian was so massively, senselessly dysfunctional (rescue attempt notwithstanding) that it really textures Jillian's...ah...complicated relationship towards loyalty and duty.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Calling it now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Parson break's charlie's attunement with the dish, causing the Archons to revert to their true master, who just happens to be "The only enemy worth fighting" thus killing off Charlie, wand "TOEWF" will be very hostile to Gobwin Knob and really most of the world. This is what causes Wanda to break with Parson, as she considers being attuned to the Pliers fated and thus Parson is going against Fate by breaking attunements.

Incoming addition to it as a joke

TOEWF it is an Elvis Impersonator(Titan)..who is trying to get his Satellite Dish, his hammer his pliers and his slippers so he can watch the super bowl.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh dear god it's going to be Elvis Presto

You know, I never got the "Sofa King is Sofa-King finished" joke until I saw it explained on the wikipedia page right now
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2014-11-29 at 03:36 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Just started trying to read again and wow is the new website unfriendly to new and returning readers. I had to navigate through each individual comic back to the beginning of Book 3 and I still haven't found what hoops I have to jump through in order to access Book 2 to pick up from where I left off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #509

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    new website unfriendly ... I had to navigate
    through each individual comic back to the beginning of Book 3
    There are some big links at the top of the startpage, like "Book 0" .. "Book 3",
    which lead to the start of these books.

Also, the wiki has Plot Summary and Descriptive Table of Contents.
    Last edited by hajo; 2014-11-29 at 05:26 AM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Just started trying to read again and wow is the new website unfriendly to new and returning readers. I had to navigate through each individual comic back to the beginning of Book 3 and I still haven't found what hoops I have to jump through in order to access Book 2 to pick up from where I left off.
    You clicked on the "Comic" button, didn't you?

Yeah, that's the part where this website design is confusing; if you want to read the comic in a comfortable and easy to navigate fashion, you are basically supposed to avoid the Comic-button like the plague. Just click on the big Erfworld button (of which Comic is a subregister) itself, and it will take you to a page where you can access any individual comic you want straight away, with big links towards any Book you want (which then lead you to a neat overview of all the pages to easily find the one you need).
    LGBTitP Supporter
    - Lewis Carroll