New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Tashalatora: Requires monk levels or not?

Pretty simple topic. I want to hear people's opinion's regarding whether or not tashalatora requires a level of monk and why/why not. Me and my DM are trying to decide if we should require monk levels initially to stack.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tashalatora: Requires monk levels or not?

Neither Monastic Training nor Tashalatora require monk levels. I say, let them stay that way. You're burning two feats on a Psion; you don't get a huge amount out of it, since your BAB is poor, your HD is a d4, and you aren't Wisdom-based. (And if you're an unarmored/unarmed PsyWar, you're kind of doing it wrong)
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

While I'd let it work, it probably shouldn't. The absence of something in D&D is not 0, but instead Ø. Ø+1=Ø.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    While I'd let it work, it probably shouldn't. The absence of something in D&D is not 0, but instead Ø. Ø+1=Ø.
    What are some (less ambiguous than Tashalatora) examples of this principle in work? And/or an explicit callout of this rule?

I don't know that I disagree with you, just wondering what the bits of rules text are that lead you to this conclusion.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Male

Maybe yes, maybe no. After all, it's that way with ability scores, but it's not defined that way with anything else, to my knowledge, and Barkskin, for instance, goes the other direction with its explanation.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-02 at 12:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

This is the same stance my DM holds, but I somewhat agree with A_S, where does that assumption come from?
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Amulet of natural armor goes out of its way to clarify that a creature without a natural armor bonus has an effective natural armor bonus of +0, which means that without that clarifying text it would be nonexistent.

There are other examples, but I am on my phone and I can't look them up.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Male

Amulet of natural armor goes out of its way to clarify that a creature without a natural armor bonus has an effective natural armor bonus of +0, which means that without that clarifying text it would be nonexistent.
    Or zero.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-02 at 12:10 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Or zero.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    "A creature without a natural armor class bonus" (as defined by the spell) does not have a +0. It has no bonus. The spell then says that you should treat that as a +0, even though it isn't.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Male

"A creature without a natural armor class bonus" (as defined by the spell) does not have a +0. It has no bonus. The spell then says that you should treat that as a +0, even though it isn't.
    Actually, the spell defines "no bonus" as 0.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-02 at 12:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm not sure it really means that. There are a lot of cases in 3.5 rules text where something is specifically called out even though it would have been the case anyway. Off the top of my head, the Mobility feat specifies that Dodge bonuses stack with each other (even though they do anyway). No shortage of other cases like that.

Nonabilities are an interesting case, but it's not immediately obvious to me that not having any levels in Monk should be treated as having a "non-level" in Monk, rather than as "0 levels" of Monk.

Another case I can think of where this question applies is whether Anima Mage gets you effective Binder levels by advancing Soul Binding after you qualify for it using the Bind Vestige feat line. Of course, that doesn't really help us since people can't agree on that one either (here's an old thread on it that went...nowhere).

Interested to see what else the rules have to say about this.
    Last edited by A_S; 2014-10-02 at 12:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, the spell defines "no bonus" as 0.
    No, it defines the effective bonus for no bonus as +0. It doesn't say "a creature without a natural armor bonus has a natural armor bonus of +0", it says "a creature without a natural armor bonus has an effective natural armor bonus of +0."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Male

No, it defines the effective bonus for no bonus as +0. It doesn't say "a creature without a natural armor bonus has a natural armor bonus of +0", it says "a creature without a natural armor bonus has an effective natural armor bonus of +0."
    And yet it says nothing about being null, effective or otherwise.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-02 at 12:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

And why would monk's belt need special text for what to do with someone with no monk levels unless the absence of something is Ø and not 0?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

And yet it says nothing about being null, effective or otherwise.
    "A creature without a bonus" is the very definition of a null value. It is not a value of zero: there is no value at all.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Male

And why would monk's belt need special text for what to do with someone with no monk levels unless the absence of something is Ø and not 0?
    Because clarification.

That's what rules do, really.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

It looks like they were intending to require monk levels, but the requirement is certainly not present. DM call.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Male

"A creature without a bonus" is the very definition of a null value. It is not a value of zero: there is no value at all.
    A creature with 0 is also without a bonus, since a bonus indicates a positive numerical integer of some sort.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-02 at 02:31 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Modifiers
    A modifier is any bonus or penalty applying to a die roll. A positive modifier is a bonus
    Technically speaking, there's no such thing as a bonus of +0: It's a non-sequitur in D&D Parlance.

Which is why semantic debates lead to madness.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Pretty simple topic. I want to hear people's opinion's regarding whether or not tashalatora requires a level of monk and why/why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tashalatora
    Benefit: Your levels in the psionic class you selected for Monastic Traning stack with your monk levels to determine your AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage from the monk class.
    So, without Monk levels, what are your "AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage from the monk class"? Those don't exist, because Tashalatora doesn't grant you AC Bonus, Flurry of Blows, or Unarmed Damage class features. Taking Tashalatora without Monk levels is just like taking a PrC which grants "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" when you don't have any spellcasting class feature.

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

Look, do you really want to force any prospective Tashalatora Psion to take Monk levels?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Look, do you really want to force any prospective Tashalatora Psion to take Monk levels?
    Absolutely, because that's the benefit of the feat: enhancing your existing Monk abilities. If they don't want that single qualifying Monk level, they can take Superior Unarmed Strike and buy a Monk's Belt instead of taking Tashalatora: most of the returns yet with no class level cost.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    So, without Monk levels, what are your "AC bonus, flurry of blows attacks, and unarmed damage from the monk class"? Those don't exist, because Tashalatora doesn't grant you AC Bonus, Flurry of Blows, or Unarmed Damage class features. Taking Tashalatora without Monk levels is just like taking a PrC which grants "+1 level of existing spellcasting class" when you don't have any spellcasting class feature.
    That is what I read into it as well. Still not clear why they didn't require X feature from the monk class though (see Daring Outlaw, or Swift Hunter).