New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flash on CW

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Flash and Arrow (CW)

So I thought I'd make a thread about this since it airs tomorrow. Hopes, ideas, fears, questions?
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2015-04-06 at 07:30 PM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Flash on CW

It airs tomorrow? I thought it wasn't starting until next week?
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

3. - Top - End - #3

Huh, whoops. Don't know where i got my information. None the less, any interest?
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2014-10-02 at 04:32 PM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I like Arrow so I'll certainly give it a chance,
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I like Arrow so I'll watch it if I can find time. I fear it's gonna be dark and brooding though cause DC and WB have declare there official position is that super hero's are intrinsically serious business and they don't want humor being used much or at all in there stuff.

That use to be a Marvel problem and one of these day's I'm gonna figure out what happened.
    "I Burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    I like Arrow so I'll watch it if I can find time. I fear it's gonna be dark and brooding though cause DC and WB have declare there official position is that super hero's are intrinsically serious business and they don't want humor being used much or at all in there stuff.

That use to be a Marvel problem and one of these day's I'm gonna figure out what happened.
    First stab: The really popular Marvel movie in the mid-2000's was Iron Man, which had a sense of humor while the really popular DC movies in the mid-2000's were the Christopher Nolan Batman movies, which were ultra-serious.

So, each company is sticking to the tone that worked for their major money maker.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I meant the comic books. It use to be that Marvel characters existed to just have endless churn and torment in there lives. Got close to someone? Dead. Made Choice A? Choice B was the right one, city got leveled, tough luck. Ext.

DC, by contrast, the hero's could generally actually win. Supporting characters were more then just canon fodder for A listers to Angst about.

Somewhere along the way, that switched. Marvel are the light hearted funny one's when Joe Quesada 1 or 2 other outliers are safely chained in the basement and out of the way, And DC have adopted the no humor serious business all the time approach.
    "I Burn!"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I do hope they don't make it a teen angst melodrama. I also hope they don't find flimsy excuses to have the main star have his shirt off all the time. Previews already showed it happening once, but the blatant sexploitation of The Tomorrow People was annoying and will not help the show. They are well aware of The Flash tv show from 1990 and wanted to pay homage. They reached out to John Wesley Shipp to be involved in the show, and he agreed. He'll play Barry Allen's father. If only Amanda Pays was the mother! Still, she may yet make an appearance.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

9. - Top - End - #9

The pilot actually leaked like three months ago. It was solid, and it used Arrow's momentum to build up it's own larger plot more quickly. They took things pretty gritty but were open that they'd go camp later on.

10. - Top - End - #10

The "leaked" pilot was good, and definitely did its job of getting me hyped up for the show. As for the tone, from the look of things it will probably be a mix of the two. It had it's dark moments, but also it's lighthearted moments as well.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm def. looking forward to seeing this on Tues. Flash, and speedsters in general actually, are my fave type of characters.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I also hope they don't find flimsy excuses to have the main star have his shirt off all the time. Previews already showed it happening once, but the blatant sexploitation of The Tomorrow People was annoying and will not help the show.
    CW casting: the ugly people are "only" underwear models. Aside from that though Arrow was solid and I'll definitely give Flash a gander.
    Now with half the calories!

13. - Top - End - #13

So it's aired now, what think? Also, it appears that next weeks villian is Mob Rule?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

So far so good. Staple introduction to the character, obligatory cameo to showcase the spin-off. It is interesting they are not going heavy on the secret identity angle. Still remains to be seen if they go heavy drama or superhero genre. Heavy drama isn't bad, just an observation of show type.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

It was a pilot. It felt very pilot-y in every sense. Pacing was really quick to hit all the points they needed, it established the cast and basic conflict of the series with the meta-humans, lots of exposition dumps thrown out to get them out of the way, a basic showcase of the visual effects, and finally showing that it's tied into Arrow for those unaware, basic pilot stuff.

I'll watch a few more episodes to develop a real opinion, but I do like that it isn't trying to be Arrow... on the other hand I have to say the guy who plays Flash looks like he's about 15 which is kind of an issue to my suspension of disbelief.

I hate CW casting. it never lets you forget you're watching a television show.

16. - Top - End - #16

PirateGuy

The opening of "see that red blur? That's me. And me. And me. And me again." was exactly the tone I was hoping for. I mostly go off JLU Flash and I really wanted them to keep that sense of fun.
    Last edited by The New Bruceski; 2014-10-07 at 10:19 PM.
    Now with half the calories!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Since I keep making a point of it . . .

Shirtless scene was relatively brief and wasn't dwelled upon, with an ok macho joke. Have to wait for further episodes to see how they handle this issue, ideally not being handled/an issue at all.

Let's just say The Tomorrow People really ticked me off about this.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I watched it.

It wasn't bad. Heck some of it was even interesting.

Then time travel.

**** time travel.

I'm not watching any more of this show.

Why does it always have to be ****ing time travel!?
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well traditionally the Flash has dealt with time travel much more than other DC heroes (with a few exceptions, such as Booster Gold). Basically he's fast enough that he can potentially break dimensional barriers, and has time traveled in the comics on multiple occasions. Doesn't help that when Barry Allen died he joined with the speed force and went back in time to be the lightning bolt that turned him into the Flash in the first place.

I'm not saying it's a good thing to have time travel, but there is sort of a precedent for time travel and the Flash.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I just watched the pilot. It was utterly predictable, but fun. I will definitely be watching episode 2 to see how it shapes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    I'm not saying it's a good thing to have time travel, but there is sort of a precedent for time travel and the Flash.
    Yeah. I generally hate time travel stuff and automatically downgrade the score of anything that involves time travel, but there are a few things that get a pass because its expected. I think the Flash falls in that category-- but I still hope they do it well. Time travel is so often not done well. Its very existence is problematic.

21. - Top - End - #21

Arrow was good, So I'll give this show the benefit of the doubt and keep watching, timetravel or not.
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2014-10-12 at 12:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I watched it.

It wasn't bad. Heck some of it was even interesting.

Then time travel.

**** time travel.

I'm not watching any more of this show.

Why does it always have to be ****ing time travel!?
    Spoiler: Spoilered Due to Flash Canon (Not the Pokemon Attack)
    Show
    Because it was time travel from the very beginning of the episode.

In the comics, Barry's first wife and mother were both killed by the same man, Eobard Thawne, also known as Reverse Flash/Professor Zoom. Starting from the first scenes of the fight around his mother, it was pretty evident that they were going to be using him as one of the core villains. The scene at the end of the episode, where he is looking at the newspaper from the future, just sort of cemented that.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

23. - Top - End - #23

We knew it'd be time travel from the Arrow crossover. Barry shows up and talks about a thing that exactly matches a guy with time travel as his M.O., complete with all the effects? You bet your ass he's fighting a dude from the future.

It's something they planned for from day one and they're already shooting. We've already seen the reverse flash suit.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

I liked it. It moved a bit fast and there was some stuff I wish they had showed more and not rushed through, but overall? I liked it. It did what it was supposed to and got me hooked.

Question: How many special effects tricks do they have for super speed? I think I've only seen the same 5 effects used, which is the motion blur, speed streak, sped up footage, teleportation speed effect, and the slo/stop motion effect. Oh and this is just in general, not just for this show. Like, in tv and movie media how many effects for super speed have you seen?
    Last edited by AnonymousX; 2014-10-13 at 11:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousX View Post
    I liked it. It moved a bit fast

Uh-huh. I see what you did there.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousX View Post
    Question: How many special effects tricks do they have for super speed? I think I've only seen the same 5 effects used, which is the motion blur, speed streak, sped up footage, teleportation speed effect, and the slo/stop motion effect. Oh and this is just in general, not just for this show. Like, in tv and movie media how many effects for super speed have you seen?
    That's a weird question. It's kinda like saying that you can only draw a face from the front, right or left, or above, or below. Are you interested in hearing that a face can also be drawn as a reflection in a mirror, or as a shadow on a wall... or would you rather see the best face drawings?

Any way...

Various tricks with an analog clock - starting, stopping or opening a pocket watch, stopping a clock or having it go superfast etc.

Various sounds, such as a plain old clock-ticking noise. Or a sound being stopped mid-way, such as a church bell's ringing stopping mid-strike. Or background music stopping. The very low, deep NOOOOO shout is a classic too.

A scene changing very rapidly with most things staying the same, e.g. a shop window changing from summer swimsuits to winter furs etc. several times.

Pages of a calendar flying off.

The character being seen at several points in the same scene at once, often with one instance looking more normal and others looking ghostly, transparent or immaterial. Could be all of them in different places, or the ghost-doubles trailing after the real one.

This is text (so not a visual thing) but IIRC in a Discworld book a clock was going tick t-

A flash of light, as in a camera, happening just before time stops or changes.

Hue shift - blue, gray or sepia overlays over the stopped or slowed-down scene are rather common.

-ock but stopped mid-scene when the trouble happened.

27. - Top - End - #27

WolfInSheepsClothing

Haven't seen the Flash yet, though I enjoyed the cameo on Arrow. Looking forward to checking it out once I finish my Arrow binge.

Is there a thread for Arrow on the forums? I looked and couldn't find one, but maybe I missed it.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Interesting scene at the end of the pilot with Barry talking to his dad, played by John Wesley Shipp. In show it was all good and normal. Metashow it had to be done on purpose as a metaphorical passing the torch from the old Flash to the new one. It's an easter egg to the fans of the old show and much appreciated.

Anecdote: Mark Hamill first used his Joker voice playing The Trickster on the original Flash.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    That's a weird question. It's kinda like saying that you can only draw a face from the front, right or left, or above, or below. Are you interested in hearing that a face can also be drawn as a reflection in a mirror, or as a shadow on a wall... or would you rather see the best face drawings?

Any way...

Various tricks with an analog clock - starting, stopping or opening a pocket watch, stopping a clock or having it go superfast etc.

Various sounds, such as a plain old clock-ticking noise. Or a sound being stopped mid-way, such as a church bell's ringing stopping mid-strike. Or background music stopping. The very low, deep NOOOOO shout is a classic too.

A scene changing very rapidly with most things staying the same, e.g. a shop window changing from summer swimsuits to winter furs etc. several times.

Pages of a calendar flying off.

The character being seen at several points in the same scene at once, often with one instance looking more normal and others looking ghostly, transparent or immaterial. Could be all of them in different places, or the ghost-doubles trailing after the real one.

This is text (so not a visual thing) but IIRC in a Discworld book a clock was going tick t-

A flash of light, as in a camera, happening just before time stops or changes.

Hue shift - blue, gray or sepia overlays over the stopped or slowed-down scene are rather common.

-ock but stopped mid-scene when the trouble happened.
    Huh? Me saying I've only seen the same five for super speed wasn't a insult or anything. I was just wondering if there was other super speed effects for running besides the ones I listed is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    Interesting scene at the end of the pilot with Barry talking to his dad, played by John Wesley Shipp. In show it was all good and normal. Metashow it had to be done on purpose as a metaphorical passing the torch from the old Flash to the new one. It's an easter egg to the fans of the old show and much appreciated.

Anecdote: Mark Hamill first used his Joker voice playing The Trickster on the original Flash.
    Considering they brought in John Wesley Shipp and Amanda Pays from the 90's Flash series, do you think they'll bring in others from that series? Specifically, is it too much to ask for to see Mark Hamill in this show?
    Last edited by AnonymousX; 2014-10-13 at 07:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I think I read somewhere that Mark Hamill is currently busy with some project in England.