New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Skirmish + Order of the Bow Initiate?

Simple question, would Order of the Bow Initiate make for a viable PrC on a Skirmish-based build? I'd lose out on the skirmish progression, but next to +1d6/4 levels, +1d8/2 levels is pretty stellar. And it's standard-action ranged attacks, so I wouldn't need to worry about Travel Devotion shenanigans. Maybe something like Scout 6/Cloistered Cleric 1 (free weapon focus with favored weapon: comp. longbow off of War domain)/OotBI 10/Scout 3? Unless I should take Scout 7/OotBI 10/Scout 3 for the blindsense as a capstone. Not looking for anything high-op, just a fun precision-based ranged build. Pick up a Splitting bow and go to town with +5d8+3d6 damage on each of two arrows.

ETA: I am aware of Swift Hunter, and of the fact that it's overall probably better. I'm just curious about OotBI.

ETA2: fixed build progressions for BAB requirements.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-02 at 01:50 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Skirmish + Order of the Bow Initiate?

I don't see anything from the Ranged Precision entry that would make it not work with Skirmish, as long as both conditions are met of course.
    Pointy-eared and proud.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eonir View Post
    I don't see anything from the Ranged Precision entry that would make it not work with Skirmish, as long as both conditions are met of course.
    Definitely true. The 30 feet limitation is annoying, but I could always hover at 30 feet (move 10 feet away, and 10 feet forward, and improved skirmish+ranged precision).

Fitting (and very well-done) avatar, by the way. Seeing it a few days ago in some other thread was what got me thinking about this PrC to begin with
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Neither of your builds qualify for OotBI as it requires +5 BAB. Scout 6 has +4 and Scout 5/Cloistered Cleric 1 only has +3.

I DM'd for a Scout 4/Ranger 2/Order of the Bow Initiate 3 in a game that went from levels 6-9. It's not a very strong class. I gave him an accelerated precision damage progression (d8 per level instead of d8 per 2 levels) and allowed his Swift Hunter feat to apply the precision damage to his favored enemies along with skirmish damage, and that definitely helped him out, but he was still consistently outdamaged by the party's Blood Magus Warmage.

The problem is that by the time you're doing your +5d8+3d6 damage with your skirmishes, a Sorcerer with literally no investment other than a single spell known is casting Orb of Acid a minimum of 26 times a day, dealing 15d6 damage on a touch attack that ignores spell resistance and forces a save against a debuff; and if he does want to optimize his damage, 3 of those 26 are twinned, 5 are maximized, and 6 are empowered. Whereas in order to get your +5d8 damage, you had to give up all your vital, role-defining class skills and skill points. The benefits come too late and you have to give up way too much to get them.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2014-10-02 at 01:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ha thanks! Order of the Bow Initiate is not a great PrC, but it's definetly one of my favorites. Im particularly a fan of Scout3/Mystic Ranger7/OotBI10.

Again, not great. But a mystic swifthunter initiate is super fun and pew-pews like a bat out of hell.
    Pointy-eared and proud.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, that could totally work. If you do, though, you might want to drop a few levels on Cragtop Archer Highland Stalker for increased skirmish progression, or maybe pick up the Improved Skirmish feat (which you can qualify for with Scout 5).

Also consider Expeditious Dodge, Desert Fire, and Desert Wind Dodge: you'll be moving around a lot, so you might as well take advantage of it. Put aptitude on your bow and you can even get the tiny fringe benefit from Desert Wind Dodge on your bow.

If you want to get really weird, with an aptitude bow, you can take Stunning Fist and Forceful Staff Style, and then do stunning fist attempts at range that bull-rush, plus your skirmish and ranged precision.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2014-10-02 at 01:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whilst it's an interesting idea (which is always worth promoting) what most ranged skirmish builds seem to do is go for Greater Manyshot to get far more attacks as a standard action...

Still it's a fun idea for a class, and my archer PC got as far as Ranger 2 / Barbarian 2/ Hexblade 1 / OotBI 1 / Occult Slayer 1. The original idea was to push on the OotBI and the OS equally, but when I got there I changed my mind and was going to get the not provoke shot then stop taking OotBI but Living Greyhawk ended and I stopped playing him.