New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ 5 Giant mutliplayer robot thread 10

Invite links have been sent.

If anyone has an issue with me playing Korea, speak and I shall change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Joined.

And let's just say theat the reason I picked Portugal was due to their... unique color scheme.

Is there an AI in this game?
    Because if there is I propose an unofficial alliance against it.
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    Joined.

And let's just say theat the reason I picked Portugal was due to their... unique color scheme.

Is there an AI in this game?
    Because if there is I propose an unofficial alliance against it.
    Everyone's voted against AI's, so I didn't leave any slots open for them.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #34

RedKnightGirl

Excellent.

Show

By Howl

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

So, I downloaded the client. It's not showing the game yet; is that because the game hasn't started? (It shows up on the website, so I'm inclined to think that's what's going on.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-10-06 at 06:03 PM.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

6. - Top - End - #36

RedKnightGirl

Same thing for me, I'm assuming that's what is happening. We need Driderman, Dodger, and Snark to officially join first.

Show

By Howl

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

All joined up here.

8. - Top - End - #38

RedKnightGirl

I hope the game starts soon. I can't wait to try out "Portugal".

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Show

By Howl

9. - Top - End - #39

I believe Thesnark still needs to join.

10. - Top - End - #40

So is everyone okay with if we don't get the last player to join, starting with an AI as a temp solution.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Joined, with apologies for the delay; it's been a busy couple of days.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Joined, with apologies for the delay; it's been a busy couple of days.
    It's okay. (I'll start the game in a couple of hours.)

13. - Top - End - #43

RedKnightGirl

Yay!
    For ease of spectators, I shall now post a list of what everybody is playing and what their Steam names that will show up on any scoreboards will be.

Ilven: draka393 is playing Korea
    GAAD: GAAD is playing "Portugal"
    OrcusMcP: Orcus is playing Egypt
    Carpe-Guitarrem: Carpe-Guitarrem [S-G] is playing Poland
    DodgerH20: DWThyme is playing Ethiopia
    Driderman: Sartain is playing Persia
    The_Snark: Bird of Purgatory is playing Morocco

I look forward to being creamed by playing you all.
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////slashslashslashslashslash

Show

By Howl

14. - Top - End - #44

We have begun!

I have set a turn timer for 24 hours (If there are any problems with that please bring them up now.)

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

The capital of Korea.

I'm ambivalent about here. Good access to luxuries, and coast. But lack of mountains or much hills.

15. - Top - End - #45

RedKnightGirl

In the time before time, a semi-great empire emerged. Led by the beautiful immortal Queen Maria, the nation of Portugal surveyed the lands of this great earth.

But then, a tragedy struck. Still far beyond our reaches of time, the Queen fell ill to madness. The lands she once held in high regard crumbled under her disuse, and her vassal states crumbled into isolation and barbarism.

In her last shreds of sanity, she willed it all to go away. And so it happened. By the grace of fate, all memory of her greatness faded from the world, and she fell into a deep slumber.

Millenia passed.

All echoes of this empire dissipated, though the echoes were never strong from an ancient civilization as weak as Portugal had been.

Then, a small band of nomads found the Queen lying in a desert, washed up by the flooding estuary, untouched by the ravages of time. They gently woke her by attempting to chop off her head and steal her belongings. Her madness, however, had not been cured by the endless slumber.

She knew one thing only: the number seven, and that it was important.

She intoned: "One other has risen, and five more have yet to arise."

Then, she relapsed into gibberish.

The nomads realized that this woman was truly immortal, and founded a city around her Throne of Voices.

To keep the peace and some semblance of order, the elders appointed a regent to govern this new land:

A small white cat named Mr. Scruffy.

OOC: Pictures are FINALLY up! Note to future self/others with this problem: After uploading the picture to Steam, go to your gallery, click on your screenshot, then right-click it and select "copy link address". THAT is something that this website will recognize.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

Behold the mighty Azure City!!!

Yeah, I went there. I have settled on this lovely piece of desert floodplains with absolutely NO useless desert. I hope to get a religion out ASAP; but I'm not sure which Pantheon to get. I mean, 2 stone, 3 fishing boat resources, AND 2 desert? Which pantheon do I get?

Interior of Azure City:

You may notice I'm building a Warrior. The reason for this is that I plan to expand fast (although Tradition-Legalism will be my first 2 policies, followed by Liberty and getting the rest of Tradition when necessary) and I need something to defend me against barbarians.

And since I'm going to expand soon:

Spoiler: My City Name List (For Everyone)
    Show
    1. Azure City
    2. Robinsegg
    3. Blueriver Fort
    4. Sunken Valley
    5. Serini's Tower
    6. Elvencastle

Hey spectators, can you think of some important locations I missed? And also: What do you people think of my choice of civilization?
    Last edited by GAAD; 2014-10-08 at 11:51 PM.

Show

By Howl

16. - Top - End - #46

OOC: How do I post the screenshots I took? It asks me for a URL, but they're located on my computer. I would like to share them with you guys, but I just have to deal with pure text updates for now. If you guys could show me, I'll be sure to edit this post with the appropriate pictures.
    If you take the screenshots through Steam you should be able to get a URL through the Steam Client. I use the natural MacOS screenshot function and then upload to ImageShack to host.
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

17. - Top - End - #47

Alright, 33.4 turns per day. Keep it up folks, and we'll be done in 2 weeks

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Solidarnosc.

Destiny through unity and solidarity. There was a people who rose up from the depths of history to spread across the lands, forging bonds within their civilization like none other. It was written that they would ride across the lands, carrying triumph upon their wings.

In a quiet time of beginnings, Poland first staked out its claim on this world, preparing to shape it for centuries to come.

As to whether it fulfills that destiny, well. You shall have to see.

Show

Not a bad starting location at all! I decided to use my workers to look around a bit. I should probably get back and put a farm on that wheat, though. Also, wine! GLUG GLUG! That'll be handy to trade off to people later.

I started out by researching Animal Husbandry, so that I can start raising horses and prepping for my marvelous unique building. LET THE POLES RIDE ON!

Finally, I started building the standard Monument. May as well capitalize on my social policies by getting even more social policies!
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-10-10 at 01:48 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

19. - Top - End - #49

Ra smiled upon Rameses, and upon Egypt. The lands surrounding them were plentiful and open, and Thebes was founded at the mouth of a fruitful river. Life would be good here, and none would ever make it otherwise.

Show

Nothing particular special about this start, but a river mouth with two wheats will allow me to grow very fast. Tradition will be very good to me. I plan to aim for a cultural victory, using my wonder specialty to get a head start.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

The Warsaw River runs on, as Poland begins to explore the surrounding lands. This is a good land, a fertile land. We will rule over it, and we will call it...this land.

Otherwise, the record is silent on Poland's progress. There will be a quiet building, and then they shall burst forth upon the world with a great swiftness!

Show

So, I realized that my second unit is a Warrior, not a Worker. Silly me! I'll have to build a Worker to work those farms. In the meantime, my Warriors have found a place that looks like it could be an excellent location for a second city! Based on my limited experience, that is. Lots of food!

21. - Top - End - #51

RedKnightGirl

It has been about 20 years since the founding of Azure City.
    We have located one of the lost settlements from beyond our time, containing a crude map detailing from where their doom had arisen: Unintelligent barbarians are camped in a desert to the north.

Show

Our Queen also had a premonition that the others had established themselves, or at least, that is what she said, according to Mr. Scruffy, according to the Grand Advisor At Duty.

He wrote down an abstract representation of our lands before the map had been sent to us.

The Queen mentioned something about us all living in a game for the amusement of others. We initially took this to be another of her delusions, until she produced a somewhat magical board with symbols and numbers, filled with question marks.
    "The game has arisen, and we are not in the lead."

Turn 2 Megaupdate

Spoiler: Players can hit just this spoiler, it won't spoil anything for you guys.
    Show
    Since this can be seen in-game anyway:
    Scoreboard!
    1: DodgerH20 has 14 points
    2: Driderman has 14 points
    3: The_Snark has 14 points
    4: GAAD has 13 points
    5: OrcusMcP has 13 points
    6: Carpe-Guitarrem has 13 points
    7: Ilven has 13 points

Show
    Spoiler: No! Seriously! Spectators Only! Most Spoileriffic Spoiler ever for players!
    Show
    Metagaming time!
    I can infer that since I have 13 points and settled on Coast, then Orcus, Carpe, and Ilven (with 13 points) settled Coastal while Dodger, Driderman, and Snark (With an extra point for an extra tile) settled inland.

This will probably affect my strategy.

Spoiler: Wonders
    Show
    My initial viewpoint on the Wonders:

Great Library: The king of all wonders. I am fifth in production right now, and with both Egypt and Korea in this game, I'm going to have to kiss this motherload goodbye. I hope it doesn't go to Ilven, since his UA gives him a HUGE additional bonus for snagging it. (Somewhere along the lines of a total of 3 free techs.)

Temple of Artemis: Not quite as competitive as the GL, I'd like the ToA for my grand strategy of being able to eventually afford six to eight tall cities. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to snag this either, since I'm not directly rushing it. Due to its defensive capabilities and aid in a tall empire, I've got my money on Orcus taking this one.

Chichen Itza: Sure, it comes later, but I'm putting this down now: DO NOT LET DRIDERMAN GET THIS. The bonus is nice, of course, but if Driderman gets his hands on it, with the right social policies (which of course nobody can stop him from getting) he'll be able to start a permanent golden age, which gives him a permanent OP army. If only you could give production in trade to other people's cities, I could help somebody else build it. Although it won't hurt to have it myself. I'm not planning on having a lot of Golden Ages, so extending them would be a nice bonus. If I don't do anything to prevent it, the incentive is great enough Driderman will get it.

Mausoleum: I'm probably going to go into the bottom of the tech tree after nabbing Sailing and Writing, and I have 2 Quarry resources already. Getting +4 gold per turn and +100 gold for every Great Person would be a pretty nice bonus for a Diplomatic civ like me. I don't see this as being too competitive, so out of all the wonders I'm interested in this should be the safest to get. I'll probably go for this if I'm beaten to the Great Lighthouse.

Stonehenge: This is the second wonder I'd like. I plan to get a religion fast (and hopefully get Papal Primacy) and this is a great permanent way to speed myself there while destroying everyone else. Unfortunately, I'm pegging Dodger to want this, as he's getting the first Pantheon no ifs, ands, or buts about it. However, he might decide he doesn't need it due to his UB, but it IS a competitive wonder for anyone else playing religiously.

Pyramids; Statue of Zeus, Terracotta Army, Great Wall, Hanging Gardens: Eh. These'll go to somebody, I'm sure. Don't have my eyes on them, but it should be nice to know who'll be surging ahead economically and militarily, so I know who to watch.

Petra: Bye! I hope Snark treats you nicely! Yeah, my strategy for this one is to try to sneak Colossus while Snark rushes it. She should have a desert start, AND should be trying to play diplomatically.

Oracle: Another free Social Policy and Great scientist point. Ilven, Orcus, and Carpe will probably be fighting over this one.

Colossus: This one is going to be high-priority for both me and Snark. I'm probably going for Lighthouse first, so if Snark (who settled coastal) gets this I could use the Lighthouse to take it from her.

Great Lighthouse: Extra Speed and Sight for my ships? In a Large map, spamming Naus with this Wonder will potentially get me even more money than the Colossus. I NEED this wonder, and I have Orcus, Carpe, and Ilven to worry about taking it from me. I. Will. Rush. This. One. (after I get 3 cities though, since I need to improve my infrastructure before trying for any wonders. If someone beats me to it, my backup will be Mausoleum and Colossus.)

Spoiler: Initial Diplomacy
    Show
    Ilven: Korea will surge in Science. First spy: in his cap. Also: I can't use a Nau rush on him, as his Turtle Ships will probably beat them. FRIENDLY

Orcus: Egypt will probably Wonderspam. As long as he doesn't take Great Lighthouse, I won't have much interest in him. I'll probably bribe him to rush Chichen Itza. NEUTRAL

Carpe: We've been trading favors back and forth "off-screen": keeping secrets, notifying about nearly-expired turns, that sort of thing. When we meet each other, I'm hoping our Newbie Alliance can become official. FRIENDLY

Dodger: My rival for religion, designed to be a tough nut to crack but with no penalties to warfare. GUARDED

Driderman: A veteran, playing a warlike civ. KEEP AWAY FROM CHICHEN ITZA BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. GUARDED

Snark: My direct rival. I anticipate a war in the late Renaissance to maybe steal her lucrative Port cities. Those lucrative waters are MINE, clammit! GUARDED

Spoiler: Strategy
    Show

I think it would be best if I could take Tradition-Culturebuilding-Liberty-Worker-Happinesspolicies-CapitalFood for my first policies.
    I'm choosing Desert Folklore for my pantheon, with a backup of faith from quarries.
    I'm building a Warrior, Settler, Worker, Scout in Azure City.
    Looking for ruins, taking out barb camps, settling four cities ASAP.
    Researching Pottery-Writing-Sailing-Mining-Masonry-Optics.
    Last edited by GAAD; 2014-10-11 at 06:32 PM.

Show

By Howl

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I thought that was just a GMR thing. You earn points on GMR by doin' stuff.

It was said that the defining moments of Poland's empire began with an impulse of opportunity. Their destiny would be shaped by one simple decision, a striking-forward and a trust in their ultimate destiny. The foundations of their future reign were laid here, in the depths of time, as they boldly sought for the bedrock of a lasting civilization.

Show

Oooh, shinies! Looks like I've found my next settlement location! Gold AND wheat! I might wanna try to tech into Currency to build Petra there.
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-10-11 at 06:44 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

@Gaad. The northern Azurite desert?

24. - Top - End - #54

RedKnightGirl

@Illven: So... much... contradiction...
    And sorry for spelling your "name" wrong in the Megaupdate.
    @Carpe: No, score is an abstract representation of your civilization's infrastructure as interpreted by the game engine. Those with more stuff in game have more points.
    Last edited by GAAD; 2014-10-11 at 06:37 PM.

Show

By Howl

25. - Top - End - #55

@Illven: So... much... contradiction...
    And sorry for spelling your "name" wrong in the Megaupdate.
    I will have so much fun with the eventual world map update.

And it's fine. Forgetting an l is common.
    Last edited by Illven; 2014-10-11 at 06:45 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

In normal Civ I tend to replace the leader/civ/religion names with my own, I won't be RPing Ethiopia so much as my own interpretation of their relevant abilities. My posts are likely to be more summaries and messages to other Civs once we meet up.

Show

Not much to report this early in the game. My start location so far looks okay, but I'm not too excited about it. I guess I'm going to try to get Calendar and a worker ASAP. I like the four mountains bordering my capital, could make it a good choke point. I am opting to explore southwest first, hoping it will be a good defensible peninsula with a spot for a second city.

27. - Top - End - #57

Right. Roleplay. I should try some of that.

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

Welcome to the beginnings of my glorious empire. Here we see the capital city of Seoul. Right now we are focusing on a band of cannon fodder loyal explorers, to help scout out the wilderness.

Right now we are focusing on making containers with which to hold food. Eventually we hope to set up areas with which to harvest the nearby oranges.

And this is my world.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

When the newcomers came to Warsaw, Poland saw fit to welcome them with a hearty chorus in celebration of the vast expansion of their new empire. Later additions to the empire would no doubt be feted with far less fervor, as the occurrence became more and more frequent. The villagers brought their own songs in return, treating Poland to their melodious strains.

The itsy-bitsy spider went up the water-spout;
    down came the rain and washed the spider out.
    Up came the sun and dried up all the rain,
    and the itsy-bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.

The entirety of Warsaw was mystified and in awe of the exotic poetry. They wondered at what a marvelous thing a spider might be, or a water-spout. One day, perhaps, they would discover the technology for such things.

Show

So! Our warriors found some friendly settlers in the ancient ruins! They've gone to increase Warsaw! Also, I spy sheep nearby. This is DEFINITELY going to be where my next city goes.

29. - Top - End - #59

I may have uploaded the wrong save to this game, I was not caffeinated enough this morning, sorry if reverting needs to happen.

30. - Top - End - #60

Okay, just tell me if it does need to be reverted.