New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Metamagic - Worthwhile?

I am wondering whether metamagic is useful in Pathfinder. Are there any reducers? Are some of the feats still worth it without the reducers? Empower and Extend both spring to mind as still probably being useful, but I'm not sure.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Metamagic - Worthwhile?

Dazing spell is nice, because you can attach it to any saving throw you want, so it is really a save-or-die on any save. Also, unlike in 3.5, there is no way to gain immunity to daze in pathfinder.
    Persistent spell is decent if you are using spells which allow saving throws.

Rime spell is sort of a dazing spell lite. Although it applies to fewer spells, it is much cheaper.
    Still and Silent spells are about as useful as they are in 3.5 (situational).

Other than that, I usually just get a rod of quicken and a few other rods. Metamagic rods are very potent in pathfinder. Ooh, and weapon cords allow you to switch/pull out different metamagic rods more easily, and weapon cords are dirt cheap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Intensify and the one that trips with force spells are good (Magic Missile for x5 trip?).

You can reduce it by 2 for one spell with traits.

Sacred Geometry gives it for free with some math.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

There are a few reducers in PF but they are typically for a single spell.

Rods are still around so obviously those make any metamagic worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

There are two traits which can lower the level adjustment by 1 for a spell of your choice(Wayang spellhunter, magical lineage), unfortunately trait bonuses don't stack so you can't pick the same spell.

There's also a feat which gives you free metamagic for a single spell without increasing the level of the spell (spell perfection).

Many DMs that I play with outright ban dazing spell so I would check with your DM to see if they allow it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ahoy, fair adventurer, it be the line to get into the Salty Tavern of Optimized Character Builds. The roughest, toughest tavern ever to be built in an hour from a single plank of wood.

Only the most broken min/maxed wizards can get in. You need to have contingencies [flexes beard]. You need to have contingencies for your contingencies [flexes even more, creates even more beards]. You need to have contingencies on your eyeballs! [flexes his eyes, creating beards]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonocleRogue View Post
    There are two traits which can lower the level adjustment by 1 for a spell of your choice(Wayang spellhunter, magical lineage), unfortunately trait bonuses don't stack so you can't pick the same spell.
    If I'm not mistaken those traits don't actually give "bonuses" so the benefits would stack.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Persistent Spell. It's entirely different from 3.5 - enemies have to make saves twice against your spell and take the lowest - but more accessible at +2 levels and well worth it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Sacred Geometry gives it for free with some math.
    Sacred Geometry is worth it just to see the look on the DM's face the first time you bring it up.

Tenebrous Spell is cool if you make a Shadow Conjurer / Shadow Evoker, because it's free on those spells.

The two widely use Metamagic reducer Traits are Magical Lineage and Metamagic Master, by the way. Hey, I just learned the later only works on 3rd level spells and lower. Look at that. You learn something new everyday, I guess.
    Last edited by Raven777; 2014-10-03 at 07:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    The professionally offended will always find something to be angry about.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sacred Geometry is worth it just to see the look on the DM's face the first time you bring it up.
    Any DM who's ever played Final Fantasy Tactics will just glare at you for it, but damn if I don't want to try it sometime.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

10. - Top - End - #10

The two widely use Metamagic reducer Traits are Magical Lineage and Metamagic Master, by the way. Hey, I just learned the later only works on 3rd level spells and lower. Look at that. You learn something new everyday, I guess.
    MonocleRogue mentioned both of those (Wayang Spellhunter = Metamagic Master).
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #11

But I provided the links

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    I am wondering whether metamagic is useful in Pathfinder. Are there any reducers? Are some of the feats still worth it without the reducers? Empower and Extend both spring to mind as still probably being useful, but I'm not sure.
    Quicken spell is so good that it's worth the price, even without reducers.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

That is the most absurd ****ing feat I have ever seen. I love it, and want to try it some time just for the sheer madness of it. Anything related that would be of use?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by aleucard View Post
    That is the most absurd ****ing feat I have ever seen. I love it, and want to try it some time just for the sheer madness of it. Anything related that would be of use?
    Read and weep cheer
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Oooh, that is the most beautifully horrible feat, I love it
    Take it twice for auto-quickened, auto-heightened, auto-echoing, auto-dazing Acid Splash, anyone? Kill two enemy actions for one of yours?

ETA: Now that I've read through the entire thread, I have a new favorite thread.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2014-10-03 at 03:37 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

16. - Top - End - #16

Yeah, I had forgotten how much this thread delivered. Thanks for the link Psyren.

17. - Top - End - #17

You're both welcome - though if it were up to me, those feats would have been cremated and the ashes interred in a paving slab
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Pathfinder keeps forgeting metamagic does not actually raise a spell's level (not that 3.5 remembered that often) and there are a lot of things you can abuse from it.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Pathfinder keeps forgeting metamagic does not actually raise a spell's level (not that 3.5 remembered that often) and there are a lot of things you can abuse from it.
    It's a general rule in PF, so they don't have to state it in each individual feat's description. (Except Heighten, obviously.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I had to do something so I cut that post short.

Meant you could abuse a bunch of stuff based on spell level (and not spell slot) such as spellstoring weapons, the Channel the Gift spell and others.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2014-10-03 at 10:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Meant you could abuse a bunch of stuff based on spell level (and not spell slot) such as spellstoring weapons, the Channel the Gift spell and others.
    This doesn't work anymore, it got FAQ'd out of existence. Essentially you always use the least advantageous level to determine things. So an empowered fireball needs a concentration check as a 5th level spell but sets DC based on 3rd etc.

The three major power metamagic feats are Persistent, Dazing and Quicken. Persistent is better than Heighten in basically every situation and will drastically increase the chance of getting your spells to stick.

Dazing can be attached to spells targeting any save, to area and single target, to spells which deny SR and applies one of the most dangerous conditions in the game. Nothing is immune to daze. You can daze undead and plants (both immune to stun for example). You can daze golems with SR: No spells like Stone Call or Acid Arrow. You can attach daze to spells that do damage round after round and force multiple saves. Dazing wall of fire or blade barrier is basically a death sentence. Rolling a dazing aqueous orb around the battlefield is one of the most hilarious options going.

Quicken is the same as in 3.5 and is a cornerstone of mid and high level spellcaster combat supremacy.

I pretty much try always to have these three. There are several other contenders. A lesser extend rod is 3k and is great for stuff like resist energy and heroism. Reach Spell is strong for clerics and Oracles, especially on stuff like Plane Shift. Elemental Spell can be useful for avoiding resistances or immunities but isn't essential. Intensify and Empower can be combined with a level dip in crossblooded sorcerer to give various oracles, clerics, druids and wizards combat relevant direct damage. Ectoplasmic Spell can be handy to have as a Rod to allow your command undead to avoid the 50% fail chance. Otherwise most of the rest are of dubious benefit.

You also cannot talk about metamagic in PF without mentioning the Staff of the Master Necromancer. It has some irrelevant spells and 10 charges. When you cast a spell you can expend charges from the staff to add a metamagic feat you know to the spell costing a number of charges equal to the level adjustment of the feat. That's right, you can easily quicken your highest level spell at a cost of 4 charges or make it persistent or use whatever other feats you have. It is in effect an incredibly flexible metamagic rod and it only costs 30k.

Finally if you are going to reach level 15 you want to qualify for Spell Perfection. It isn't hard, it involves taking stuff you were getting anyway and gives you free metamagic on a single spell provided the adjusted level doesn't go over 9 as well as doubling feat bonuses. I quite like choosing chain lightning for easy dazing mass control but other options are available. Pick a summon monster and double the benefit of augment summoning and superior summoning. Pick animate dead for a huge increase to caster level from things like spell speicalisation and varisian tattoo. Pick Holy Word and at level 15 you can easily be dropping CL22 holy word spells, 26 with a necklace of prayer beads. It is a stupidly powerful feat and possibly the strongest feat in the game and can effectively turn a spell into an "I WIN" button.
    Last edited by andreww; 2014-10-04 at 06:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I like Spell Perfection on a Magical Lineage'd Shadow Evocation, myself, for the sheer flexibility it affords to what you can do on a moment to moment basis. A Perfect Quickened Tenebrous Intensified Fireball + Perfect Dazing Tenebrous Intensified Fireball is not something to be underestimated as a fight opener, especially once boosted by Spell Perfection's multiplicative effect on numerical bonuses like Spell Focus (Illusion) and Greater Spell Focus (Illusion).

Enemy's immune to fire? Next round, throw a Cold Dragon Breath and call it a day, or whip up some Ball Lightning which will keep on giving for the next couple rounds, or Detonate yourself for 1d8/level energy damage (choose which type) with only 20% of the backlash because you can automatically disbelieve your own illusion. Then scream and laugh when the muggles remember why they once were afraid of the dark.
    Last edited by Raven777; 2014-10-04 at 07:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is it clear how sacred geometry interacts with spell perfection, rods, magical lineage, and so forth? Geyser abusing builds (and similar) are probably all crying out with joy, this probably gives them a couple extra feats to play with.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by andreww View Post
    This doesn't work anymore, it got FAQ'd out of existence. Essentially you always use the least advantageous level to determine things. So an empowered fireball needs a concentration check as a 5th level spell but sets DC based on 3rd etc.
    What andreww said. See here.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy