New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Thumbs up *Posted by D&D 3.5 noob* Character creation.

I was wondering about character generators, obviously I know what they do and how to use them but I'm curious as to any that are overall better then the rest by popular opinion. If you could let me know what you think and why, also any you would recommend I avoid. At the moment, I can't download or pay for anything due to some personal obstacles in my life right now. Any and all help is greatly appreciate, thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: *Posted by D&D 3.5 noob* Character creation.

3.5 doesn't have any especially great automated character generators. The sheer amount of material for the game precludes the creation of a comprehensive one.

I think the closest you'd get to a full 3.5 character generator is posting a thread in this subforum with a concept, desired level, and list of house rules from your DM

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I think the closest you'd get to a full 3.5 character generator is posting a thread in this subforum with a concept, desired level, and list of house rules from your DM
    Honestly, I'm seconding this. The best way I know of to make a particular build viable (or to come up with one from nothing but a concept) is by posting about it here.

So what is it that you want your character to do? We're here to help (and argue over RAW vs. RAI)
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

This one is pretty extensive. I used it a bunch just to help keep things organized

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Well I'm still pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to 3.5, or PPD&D in general. I've already got a party of 3 created and am slowly learning how to actually play and my DM is adjusting from D&D V1 to 3.5 as well and teaching me along the way.

Right now I have;

Half-Elf Druid 2
    Human Ranger 1
    Dwarf Fighter 1
    Halfling Rogue 1 (Played by the DM)

We were going to do The Village With No Name (D&D1) but decided to switch to Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh since it's 3.5.

I wanted to do something with different races but I'm having trouble deciding what. I know I want a Minotaur Barb as my tank and possibly a Drow Cleric.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

It's definitely a challenge playing 3 characters at once on my first campaign.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by KingSmitty View Post
    http://www.pathguy.com/cg35.htm

This one is pretty extensive. I used it a bunch just to help keep things organized
    I will second this.

Do note however, that it is still

a) not anywhere close to offering a satisfactory variety of character options

b) not fully following the rules, partly due to coding restrictions and partly due to mistakes of the coder himself.

As such, it is better used for minor NPCs or quickly evaluating character concepts. If you want to properly make a character, you're still gonna have to do manually.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ubnauxush View Post
    It's definitely a challenge playing 3 characters at once on my first campaign.
    Wow, really? I played 2 on my first game and I had a hard time.

Then again, my paladin was built to be beyond useless.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm just having difficulty with keeping the timing together and not letting AOO happen. It's a challenge but I enjoy it.

I'm trying to figure out a decent companion for my druid, since my Ranger now has an Eagle for a companion. I screwed up and got an eagle for my Ranger without realizing that the Druid pet goes up a size every 4 levels and as far as I've found out and my DM will go. I'm leaning towards something like a bear, since I already have an eagle plus once the Druid hits 8 or even 12, he'll be plenty big for gear or as a mount.

Also, since my gnome is being played by the DM he's got this thing where he doesn't want to walk anywhere and always wants to be carried or is bitching about finding a horse or some transportation, could I possibly get a riding dog for my druid and then release him once he's built a relationship with the Halfling so he'll have transportation and I only have to wait 24 hours to try and get a new companion?

Thanks a lot for being so helpful, this is by far the best forum I've found in the past few months. I've only registered at 3 of the probably 50+ sites I've been too and the other two, just weren't what I was looking for. This site is really straight forward and everybody has been so kind.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ubnauxush View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a decent companion for my druid, since my Ranger now has an Eagle for a companion. I screwed up and got an eagle for my Ranger without realizing that the Druid pet goes up a size every 4 levels and as far as I've found out and my DM will go. I'm leaning towards something like a bear, since I already have an eagle plus once the Druid hits 8 or even 12, he'll be plenty big for gear or as a mount.
    Is this level 4? If so, yeah, the bear is a reasonable enough choice. Not at anywhere near fleshraker dinosaur (MM III, 40) levels, but it's definitely not a bad beatstick.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The usual approach for low to mid-level druids is something like wolf-->bear-->bigger bear-->tiger-->dire versions of the previous animals

I'd personally recommend that you steer clear of automated character generators. I've mentored a lot of new players into 3.5 over the past few years and in my experience, those who use character generation software take longer to learn the game mechanics and never achieve the same level of skill at the game as those who either work by hand or start with a blank spreadsheet and build their own character sheets.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

My first 3 character I made myself and I've read up and have books near me whenever I play so I'm getting the hang. I just wanted to see a general breakdown without having to write out every single idea. I'm trying to keep my actual playing characters on paper and where I have to actually focus.

D&D is sort of becoming my sobriety haha.