New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Deladus

His report given, Deladus returns to the lookout rock outside and continues scanning the surroundings, glancing now and again at the position where he saw the figures.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oliana

Oliana looks up as if she had not really been paying attention. "I'm afraid that I don't have any special spells that allow me to see great distances."
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

3. - Top - End - #63

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak chuckles at Elis' mock bravado, and says, "Aye, that should keep them all at bay if they're smart."

~~

Leading the lumberjack quartet and cart, the trail back to the camp yields neither additonal conversation nor goblins interested in log thievery. So much the better that the ratio of excursions ending in dire shape is now a bit more balanced than before.

Arriving within the assumed borders of the camp, Kruhljak dismounts and begins removing Cinnamon's barding in anticipation of releasing her toward the grazing area.

He says to the others, "Find a clear spot near the cave and dump the wood and branches. No need to be fancy, as they'll be sorted through fairly soon, and if you can do it before I can, please let Nalik know we've all arrived back and that we have no incidents to report."

Patting Cinnamon on the neck, he returns fully to removing the barding.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

"I'll go," he says, leading Whiteboots and the cart back toward the camp. He picks a spot and stops the cavalcade, then goes to find Nalik.

"We're back. We've got a load of materials, but saw no sign of Leislyrin," he tells the Dwarven squad leader.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

5. - Top - End - #65

Planetar

Nalik

<Dwarven>Narf</Dwarven>. I want to talk to that druid.

Nalik will proceed outside to help unload the cart.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66

Kruhljak Wynde

Releasing the last strap, Kruhljak slides the remaining piece of barding from Cinnamon's haunch, slinging it over his right shoulder. The sorrel, knowing the routine, hops slightly as she canters quickly toward the grazing patch. Her master bends, retrieves and slings the remaining pieces of barding over his left shoulder and trudges heavily toward the cave.

On approaching, he notices the cart first, then Elis and Nalik exiting the cave mouth. He nods to them both, and says, "I'll be out in a moment to help unload. Just need to set these inside for now."

He then disappears inside, stacks the barding carefully near the still intact barrels, and exits, heading for the cart.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter & Sarrok

The white object turns out to be three long bones. A quick mental comparison between Carter's arms and legs and the bones suggest they might be human. Base camp is about 8 miles away now, and it will take a good hour and a half to get back with Carter going as fast as he can to keep up with the dog.

Base Camp

The sorting goes quickly, and you soon have two piles of wood: one with logs for your fence, and the other with wood ill suited to that task.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Looking at the piles of wood, he realizes that he has no clue what Kruhljak intends to do with it. He admits as much. "What's next? Do we dig, or lay things out, or lash them together?"
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Just keep walking. Just keep walking. Just keep breathing. "Geesh, doesn't that dog ever get tired?"
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Elisathalan, without any apparent guidance on the fence, sets to doing something useful: repairing the furniture with Nalik and Hertz. Deladus keeps watch. Kruhljak, Ziran, and Beregond stand around. By the time Carter and Sarrok come back into view, another two beds have been repaired. By the time they make it all the way back to camp, the total number of useable beds is up to 8. Aside from that, you have one whole water barrel.

It is evening, about dinnertime.

11. - Top - End - #71

Hertz

A bit tired of repairing beds - and his stomach grumbling - Hertz gets up and lights a campfire. "I'm no professional cook, but let me take care of dinner tonight." He goes back into the cave and looks through the provisions left for something consistant enough to satisfy both the lumbers and the scouts, who likely were exhausted.
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-03-26 at 07:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik joins Hertz as he gathers the goods to be used in preparing dinner. Once Hertz has all materials Nalik will offer a prayer to Thor to purify the food.

Spoiler
    Show
    purify food & water
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Kruhljak Wynde

When Elis asks about the plans for the wood, Kruhljak replies, "Well, first task is to size them so they're reasonably uniform, then lash them together into five foot wide panels. Once we get that done, then comes the digging of the shallow trenches, and lastly the fixing them together and to whatever supports we have on either side. Pretty simple, really, but it'll take a few hours."

He kicks at the pile in idle thought, then adds, "As for the branches, I'm not entirely sure what they're for. Someone mentioned something about using green leaves or branches to make smoke? I assume that's expected to be useful if, or when, we tackle the rathole situation."

Kruhljak nods to Elis when he excuses himself to tend to other things, then goes through the ritual of removing his armor, setting the plates inside on his pallet before returning out front to begin the work on the fence sections. But before he even starts, he pauses and gazes at the stack of narrow logs, then turns to survey the various access points leading into the cave entrance area.

A few more glances around inform him that Nalik is likely inside, so he returns, once again, to the innards of the cave and locates Nalik as he works with Hertz to prepare dinner.

"If you wouldn't mind, when you're through here, I'd like to discuss where I'll be placing the first sets of fences. I have the logical points in mind, but I'll need your confirmation to set them up." Following the last word he becomes quiet and still, standing with hands clasped behind his back, watching the dwarven priest in anticipation of his reply.

14. - Top - End - #74

Hertz

Hertz smiles as Nalik prays for the food and nods. "Thanks, that should help with the taste."
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-03-26 at 08:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

When the instructions on the fencing come, Elis hears them, and replies, "I hear. If light remains to us after supper, I'll help."

Secretly, he hoped someone would ask for a song after supper, to give him the chance to sing and play again. He wanted to do so, but the decision belonged to others just now. If none asked, he would content himself to continue working, or resting, and to watching Oliana.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

16. - Top - End - #76

Planetar

Nalik

To Hertz with a laugh,
    Unfortunately, Thor is not much concerned with our taste buds, The only thing for certain, is that if we die because of the food, it will be your cooking.

To Kruhljack,
    Certainly. Lets take a look at what you have in mind.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

Hertz

"I'll keep that in mind." He chuckles before focusing on the actual meal. It wouldn't do for him to get distracted by the defense plans as he cooked.

((I'll just take 10 for 14.))
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-03-26 at 08:34 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Deladus

Still outside, Deladus scans the horizon, mostly oblivious to whatever goes on inside the cavern base.

19. - Top - End - #79

Kruhljak Wynde

Accompanied outside by Nalik, Kruhljak directs him around the side to where the raw materials had been laid out.

"Alright, now based on my earlier suggestions, we can build five foot wide segments that can be easily lashed together with rope to form wider sections. Effectively, as long as we can secure the materials, we can make as many as we feel the need for. For now, we have, I'd gauge, enough lumber for about five segments. The only purpose at the moment is to help cut off a few of the entry points we either rarely or never use. Ultimately, these can be used as close-in barriers which can provide cover for us if we happen to be the target of raiders, but those will need to be built more sturdily and provide for arrow slits and such things. For later. Right now, we can fashion and erect these across two of the four narrow points. We can also add gates at some point, when we have some additional time."

His torrent of explanation paused, he looks at Nalik, then quickly adds, "I just need to know which two points to close off for now. We'll deal with all the rest of the issues after we retrieve our next batch of lumber. Oh, and the branches you see here, are, if I'm not mistaken, intended to be used to smoke out the rathole. I seem to recall Oliana mentioned something about the green branches producing a large amount of smoke."

He knew this sort of dull academia would probably bore Nalik, but unless he conferred autonomy on him with regard to the fencing and such, he'd have to hear the entire plan every time.

20. - Top - End - #80

Sarrok Balderk

As soon as He enters camp, Sarrok slides off his mount and walks over to Nalik. Without preamble Sarrok begins " Nalik, Cater and I followed the river to the base of the moutain. Half way there Cater spoted some green armor laying on the ground. It is in his pack, here he comes now. " He points to Cater "Then at the base of the moutain I found ripped cloth and some chain" He pulls the Chainmail and cloth out of the saddle bags and holds them out to Nalik.
    Last edited by WarBrute; 2007-03-27 at 01:59 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

Oliana

"I'm not an expert at armor and clothing, but I know a little about the history of the area. Maybe they have some marks that I may recognize. May I see what you have? And when Carter returns I'd like to look at the armor. Green armor seems fairly unique."

Oliana will look over the items for any signs of historical significance.

[spoiler]
    {OOC: Knowledge history - (1d20+4)[8]}

22. - Top - End - #82

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik listens attentively as Kruhljack explains ad-nauseum about constructing the fences.
    Beyond saying that We need to maintain access to our water source, I am not sure that the order in which we block off access is of great concern. I believe you have the best vision as to what and how to construct our defenses. I will leave you in complete authority on what and how to construct these walls.

Nalik is admittedly a bit rushed towards the end of the conversation, because he has noticed that Sarrok and Carter are newly returned. He heads towards the duo at the same time as Sarrok approaches him. He listens a bit more attentively to the words of the scout than he did of the engineer. Taken to offered materials he examines them.
    Thank you Sarrok, Hertz is inside preparing an evening meal, why don't you take a moment to rest. We will want to take some time after eating to discuss what you have found.
    Nalik then examines the scraps to try and determine if he can determine what they were before they were rags.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nalik is trying to determine what part of the armor, or clothes they were. Did the scouts return the bones too, not that I know of them or anything :)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Looking to Olianna as she examines the armor, Carter says, "Yes, the green armor is quite unique. Of course, I only met her once briefly, it looks like Allianne's armor." Turning his attention to the remaining scraps and chainmail, Carter says, "I don't see anything unique in the rest of this, but it doesn't look like it was just dropped accidentally. It looks like it was forcibly removed."

Carter, still a bit out of breath sits down and drinks heavily from his canteen while pondering the situation and occasionally watching 'the boys' build their little fence.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

24. - Top - End - #84

Oliana

"Yes, your recollection of a recent person wearing this is probalby more information than I can recall without access to a library." Oliana hands the items back to Nalik.

25. - Top - End - #85

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik takes the goods being passed by Oliana. He turns it over, trying to determine if he can figure out what caused the damage.
    Allianne, was she one of the previous Defenders?

A little louder, so that everyone gathered can hear.
    Hertz should be just about done preparing a meal, lets eat and we can discuss what you have found.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak nods to Nalik, and says, "I'm not a master craftsman, but they'll be done up as well as possible given our resources. I'll get started right away."

As Nalik moves off to meet the returning scouts, the would-be carpenter selects and lays out, side by side, eight logs, then realizes he's forgotten to bring out the necessary rope.

Heading inside, he's about to collect a few lengths, and hears Nalik's informal instructions to prepare for the evening meal. He hadn't actually noticed the results of Hertz' efforts, but now that his attention was directed towards it, he had to admit it smelled good. Whatever it was.

Straightening his tunic, azure blue dyed despite his usual penchant for shades of red, he takes the nearest open spot beside the gathering group, and awaits his supper.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Upon hearing the summons to supper, Elis leaves the pile of wood arrayed around him and settles himself close to the group. He has been trying to mentally rehearse the re-construction of the beds so he will be better at it in the future. He thought he saw the remains of another bed that might come together quickly on the morrow, but Kruhljak needed help with the fence, Nalik needed to talk to the druid, and Carter and Sarrok had come back with something. Gods only knew what they would actually be doing from one day to the next.

He begins to hum absently, then stops himself.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

28. - Top - End - #88

Hertz

Noticing everyone gathering around him, Hertz finishes the meal before giving each of his companions a fair share of the supper. He then takes a more comfortable seat himself, choosing a spot near their new recruit. "Hello. I think we didn't have time for a proper introduction. I had to run off with Elis - he can get distracted sometimes. I'm Hertz, and welcome to the group. Try not to get killed."
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-03-28 at 07:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elis

Elis takes his portion of the meal, waits for one of the group's clerics to bless it and then eats. He listens to the conversation going on around him and smiles at Hertz's "He can get distracted" comment. Toward the end of the meal, he shivers a little and begins to move closer to the fire.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

30. - Top - End - #90

Oliana

Oliana stands and stretches a bit before lining up for dinner. She'd gotten used to more manual labor with resting and studying taking a back seat. Two days of barely moving had taken a toll on her; she is stiff and could use some exercise before heading back to bed.

"Kruhljak, if you'd like some help after dinner, I may not have all of my strength back, but I'd like to get some work in to justify this meal. Is there anything I can do to help?"