New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Defenders of Highgate, Chapter 2

Hertz dashes forward, ready to assist those in melee with the creature. Sarrok launches a bolt at it that skims across its tough hide. Carter smashes his flail into the beast’s hide once again, a fine spray of red blood spattering across the sharp spikes.

Nalik
    moves up and switches weapons, standing ready to defend himself. Ziran casts a spell and an image of Carter appears next to the real Carter. Oliana moves up some, prepared to cast a spell if she finds an opening to do so.

The lizardlike thing, now fully awake, gives a rumbly, angry bellow and stands up. The eyes begin to glow more brightly, and Deladus lowers his guard, his face going slack and his hammer and shield falling out of his hands to lie at his feet. Carter feels something compelling him to do the same, but shakes it off.

Kruhljak moves up and brings his flail down, echoing Carter’s success. Elisathalan stays his bow and begins to sing. Deladus stands there, staring at the creature.

{
    initiative order:
    Hertz 20
    Sarrok 18
    Carter 17
    Nalik 16
    Ziran 15
    Oliana 14
    lizardy thing 14
    Kruhljak 10
    Elisathalan 8
    Deladus 8

Bard song now active: +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, saves vs. charm, and saves vs. fear

Deladus, Hertz, and Carter may take AoO’s provoked by it standing up from prone. Deladus may not otherwise act.
    map - This is a new hosting location. If anyone has trouble accessing it, let me know.

}

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Not wanting to miss a chance to crush this beast, Carter swings every oppertunity he gets.

Spoiler
    Show

Carter continues to pound on the beast, staying towards the back end where he won't have to look into is ugly glowing eyes. "Argh! Die beast die."

If I took that kind of beating, I'd be dead by now. What kind of freaky 4 legged lizard is this?
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Deladus

Slack-jawed, Deladus stares.

Spoiler
    Show

Here is the AoO from before:

Attack - (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage - (1d8+4)[10]

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oliana

Seeing between the branches that Deladus is transfixed, Oliana gets an idea. Moving as quickly as she can, she drops her pack and moves towards the beast's flank, taking off her robe and averting her eyes to the beast's eyes. When she gets to the beast she tosses her robe covering its head.

Spoiler
    Show
    {OOC: Not sure which way the Beasty is facing. NW or NE corner should both be in range.

Move to: M or K 9 (whichever the beasty is looking away most at. Tie = K9)
    Roll: 19 (see roll thread for where I "made up" the modifiers)}
    I'm not dead. I am also not a walrus.

5. - Top - End - #185

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran doesn't really understand what is going on, but he's pretty sure
    Deladus standing there defenseless is a bad thing, so he decides to
    let the people with weapons deal with the beast, and do what he can to
    keep the beast from killing anyone in the mean time. Thus, he
    concentrates on his illusion of Carter, having it move by the shortest
    route (who cares if an illusion provokes an attack of opportunity) to
    stand right in front of Deladus. Deladus isn't exactly moving around,
    so having an illusion in the same square as him shouldn't impede his
    fighting or anything.
    Seeing Oliana dashing up to the thing, he wishes he had some way of
    protecting her, and starts thinking how to shift his tactics to keep
    her uneaten. He has a few frantic seconds to think of something to do
    that might work.

6. - Top - End - #186

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik moves up to stand right behind Deladus.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Seeing Oliana charge up and throw her cloths over the beast, Carter thinks... and smiles. Ah, there we go. Teamwork. Now, that will keep me from from looking at the lizard.

Aw, come on, how am I supposed to focus on the lizard with her standing there like that. Come on... focus. Kill the beasty, kill the beasty...
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

8. - Top - End - #188

Sarrok Balderk

I'll never be able to get a clean shot with all of them standing there

He drops his crossbow draws his sword while wading thorugh the bush toward the lizard.

Moves to K 11 with short sword ready
    Last edited by WarBrute; 2007-04-12 at 11:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189

Kruhljak Wynde
    ( Init: 10 | AC: 16 | HP: 22/22 | Position: L14->L11 )

Though it seemed an unlikely success, managing to flip the beast over or at least to its side would give his comrades and himself a decided advantage, made more important now that Deladus had, apparently, been afflicted by the beast's eyes.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Trip attack attempt:

20 - melee touch attack to initiate trip (inc +2 from flanking via Hertz)

(I did not include a flanking bonus because I don't think Deladus threatens in his condition, however, Ziran's illusion of Carter might, depending on prevailing details I can't know about. If the +2 would make a difference, and it applies, please factor it in, both for the touch attack and the melee attack below.)

- if hit is successful:

12 - opposed strength check (inc +4 from Imp. Trip)

- if I win the opposed check:

21 - "free" normal melee attack (inc +2 from flanking via Hertz)

- (note: creature is at -4AC when prone)

14 - damage if I hit

(rolls)

10. - Top - End - #190

Hertz

Not missing an opportunity, Hertz strikes out when the beast stands up, and he follows the strike with two very quick jabs. They had to bring that beast down quickly, else it could likely hurt Deladus or Oliana in a quite brutal manner.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm probably very crazy to do this, but I'm opting for a 'more rolls, more chance to get a 20' tactic. Either way, here goes:
    AoO) Attack Roll: 1d20+3=14, Damage Roll: 1d6=6.
    Flurry 1) Attack Roll: 1d20+1=7, Damage Roll: 1d6=2.
    Flurry 2) Attack Roll: 1d20+1=17, Damage Roll: 1d6=1.
    Look, people! I think I might contribute with 1 HP damage to that creature's death! We likely have flanking to thank for that too. Else, my flurry bonus would be negative.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

The blows against the beast from Carter and Deladus as it stood up sprayed blood on hertz, some from both sides.

Hertz managed to land a fist on the thing, thumping it well enough to leave a light welt. Sarrok and Nalik both move while Ziran directs his illusion and Oliana disrobes.

The creature turns towards Hertz and takes a vicious bite out of his torso, pulling away chunks of flesh and covering its maw and Hertz both in blood. Hertz falls to the ground, blood spurting out from his side. Kruhljak goes slack-jawed, just as Deladus did, dropping his flail.

Elisathalan stops singing and sends an arrow in, but sends it wide rather than hit an ally.

At this point, the creature looks well slashed, hacked, and pummeled, but it
    does not look ready to drop.

{
    initiative order:
    Hertz 20 (unconscious)
    Sarrok 18
    Carter 17
    Nalik 16
    Ziran 15
    Oliana 14
    lizardy thing 14
    Kruhljak 10 (slack-jawed)
    Elisathalan 8
    Deladus 8 (slack-jawed)

Bard song still active: +1 morale bonus to attack, damage, saves vs. charm, and saves vs. fear
    Oliana can make her own Will save DC 15 vs. charm [mind-affecting], as the outcome doesn’t affect this round
    Deladus is in the same square as the illusion of Carter '(C)'

map
    }
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2007-04-13 at 07:05 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Oliana

Oliana, feeling a bit dizzy and slow, but shaking it off, sees Hertz fall to the ground. Using the clear shot opportunity provided by Hertz falling, she flings the robe at the creature's head from her current position. Then moves quickly to Hertz and tries to pull him away from the fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    {OOC:
    Will save: 24
    Ranged Touch Attack: 13 (19, -2 for flanking and -4 for throwing into melee)
    Standard Action: Throw robe (Net has a range increment of 10', "improvised" weapons have 10' as well.)
    Move Action: Move to just behind Hertz and start to drag him out of the fight.}

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Seeing Deladus's issues, Carter steps to the right to M9 to provide a counterpoint to Sarrok. Carter swings his flail and stumbles on some roots sticking up at his new location.

Oh sure, just as soon as I get the proper amount of power into a swing I trip and miss. Grrr Stupid trees.

14. - Top - End - #194

Planetar

Nalik

Nalik is horrified at the rate his crew is being incapacitated.

Oliana, see what you can do to stabilize Hertz. I will get to him when I can.

He then reaches to pull Deladus out of the fray before the fighter can get hurt.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-04-13 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

Sarrok Balderk

His sword high into the air and plugles at the lizard at a doward angle.

Attack Roll= 18
    damage=4
    Last edited by WarBrute; 2007-04-13 at 11:10 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Sarrok stabs, making a small cut in the creature’s hide. Carter scrapes his flail along its tough hide, but his angle causes the blow to be only a glancing one. Nalik pulls Deladus out of the way. Ziran maintains his illusion while Oliana tosses her robe over the thing’s head, covering its eyes, then reaches over to start pulling Hertz out of the way.

The creature makes a snarling, grumbling noise from under the robe and starts snapping all around. One chomp of its jaws finds flesh in the form of Sarrok and tears off shreds of flesh that now hang in its teeth. Sarrok falls to the ground.

Elisathalan launches an arrow in, hitting it soundly in the neck, which causes it to stop grumbling and drop unceremoniously to the ground. Kruhljak and Deladus immediately waken from their pseudo-sleep.

{
    Hertz: -2, not stable
    Sarrok: -3, not stable
    }
    Last edited by dauphinous; 2007-04-14 at 12:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Deladus

Blinking rapidly, Deladus steps another step further away from the beast. Aloud, he asks, "By the gods, what was that?"

He doesn't seem shaken so much as surprised.

18. - Top - End - #198

Oliana

Oliana quickly runs to her pack and grabs it, pulling out some bandages and working at Hertz's wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

{OOC: Take ten if possible (for 15), but since it's under some duress, I'll guess it may not be. Heal - (1d20+5)[8]
    }

{Darn, re-try: Try 2: 20}
    Last edited by oliana0; 2007-04-14 at 01:06 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran rushes in, in preparation to use a color spray if he has to - and reallizes that the beast has already been finished. He then just stops, staring at the thing, trying to figure out what just happened.

20. - Top - End - #200

Kruhljak Wynde

Kruhljak swings bunched, empty hands down toward the motionless lizard as if carrying through on his earlier intended attack. Slightly off balance given the lack of expected weight in his hands and the momentum that comes with it, he staggers a step to the side before realizing the situation.

Shaking his head to clear the cobwebs, his eyes dart toward the ground, and his flail returns to his grip shortly thereafter.

"Well...I think I'm quite glad the rest of you were successful. My bits of armor would have clashed with the rest around here," he muses, tossing in a rather disingenuous chuckle for good measure.

21. - Top - End - #201

Planetar

Nalik

As the battle with the creature ends, 2 thoughts run through Nalik's mind. He wants to make sure the creature is dead, and that his 2 crew members do not die.

He looks to those still standing;

Make sure that creature is truly dead.

At the same time he looks to the 2 fallen members of the team. He could see that they were both fading fast, and would surely die without some strong action. His mind is on both Sarrok and Hertz as he bends over the gnome, and prays for his healing.
    Spoiler
    Show

1d8+2=9
    spending one use of turn undead to extend use of cure light wounds to Hertz and Sarrok

He is pleased to as Sarrok's wounds knit together, leaving just a slight scar. When he turns to provide healing to the monk, he is amazed to see that his wounds have also healed, leaving a scar similar to Sarroks.

The stunned dwarf takes a moment to reflect on what has just happened. The euphoria that he had been feeling all day is brought into sharp focus as he realizes that he is now more blessed of Thor than ever in the past.
    Last edited by anIceFan; 2007-04-15 at 11:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

Looking at the beast, Carter's stomach rumbles and he says, "Oh, I'll make sure its dead alright." With that Carter drops his flail and pulls out his sword. He begins to cut out large pieces of flash from the beast.

Whilst using his long sword to cut out the choice pieces of meat he sees Deladus standing there watching. Nodding at the prime cuts of meat Carter says, "Anything is better than the scraps that the rats left us. " After a pause, Carter adds"Hey what was up with you back there? This wasn't your first battle... but you froze up just like a first-timer."

With a smile Carter wonders, "What, did this thing look like a pet lizard you had in your childhood?"

Carter hollers over to Sarrok, "Hey Sarrok.. you want to get some of this meat for your doggie?" Carter finishs wrapping the good cuts in his spare cloak and puts them in his backpack.

He then wipes off his blade and returns it to its sheath before picking up his flail and declaring to the commander, "Its dead for sure now. What's the plan? Keep searching or head back?"

23. - Top - End - #203

Deladus

Recovering himself, he grins. "Hardly. Something about its eyes... One moment I was attacking it, then I saw its eyes, then everything got fuzzy, then it was dead."

Frowning, he continues, "With that in mind, is it safe to eat something that we can't identify? What if it is poisonous, eh?"

He pokes it with a toe, before retrieving his weaponry off the ground.

24. - Top - End - #204

Sarrok Balderk

"Uhg..." Sarrok pushes himslef up off the ground and looks at the meat cater is offering him. "Yeah sure, sure" On his way back to Ulfgard he pats Nalik on the back in thanks. After Ulfgard begins eating Sarrok bends and retreaves his crossbow he left behind and loads it.

25. - Top - End - #205

Kruhljak Wynde

With a shrug, Kruhljak jogs downhill a bit to recover Cinnamon, and mounts up. Flail again over his shoulder, he brings her up to the battle site and reins her in.

"So, do we remain on agenda? As we've only lost a bit of time on this...distraction, I assume so," he says to Nalik as he hovers over Sarrok and Hertz.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Carter

After Sarrok takes his share for his doggie, Carter says to Deladus, "Well, I guess if the dog gets sick, I'll have to reconsider my dinner plans." With a broad smile, Carter pats Deladus on the shoulder and walks over to wait near Nalik to find out the new orders.

27. - Top - End - #207

Ziran Blueboots

Ziran decides to pipe up, saying "Don't feel guilty - the eyes may have been the source of its stunning power, but you all weren't tricked by the eyes - it was actually using area of effect magic to stun, sort of like mine. Speaking of magic, shall we collect the magical trinkets lying on the ground, presumably from this thing's earlier victims? I was detecting magic to try to counter anything magical it did, but there didn't seem to be any better counter than hacking it to pieces. Anyway, just let me detect magic again, and I'll show you where and what we've got..."

With that, he casts his detection spell and begins a talkative running commentary as he locates each object, letting Nalik or someone else decide what will be done with the things he finds: "All right, we've got here right by the beast, its own personal favorite or something, a jade rock. Magic. Don't ask me what it does. Over here we've got a silver ring, no real markings, also magic, also completely unidentified. None of these are very powerful, as magic goes, but it doesn't take much magic to be useful now does it? Now here, we've got a wand, and a more powerful one at that. Perhaps some sort of blasting magic. Perhaps have Oliana have a look at that one, though I've heard that some clerics can use smiting spells as well. And, hidden over here we've got a wooden flask, again too weak an aura to be really sure what it is beyond being magic of some sort. Now, this is more interesting. A transmutation aura. Hmm, a stone, and palish blue - I think I've heard of something like this,
    except I have no idea what it does. A stone, and transmutation magic at that, is probably meant to be carried somehow to give some effect. Though there might be a command word or something for a temporary effect. Ok, here we've got an eagle feather or something on a leather cord. No idea what that does either. Another wand - too weak to figure anything out, but at least there are ways of testing those, and most don't do nasty painful things to you. Unless you aim them at your feet when it was a magic missile wand or something. A metal vial too, also no idea what that does. I guess you drink it though. Probably not a good area for experimentation, but it is magic too, or how else would I have found it with its aura? And lastly, in case you are wondering why I've been talking so long, there aren't just fun magics to do interesting things with. We've also got here the Comm we've been looking for. Or at least something just like it, no? Highgate crest, wooden amulet, leather cord, detects properly.

So, what do we do with this stuff? Comm included?"

28. - Top - End - #208

Deladus

Deladus grins at Carter, nodding in agreement. Listening to Ziran, he blinks a few times, looking slightly more stunned as the list progresses impressively. "...That's a lot of magic."

He looks at the surrounding armor pieces and mundane gear. "Can we assume that these are the remains of our... predacessors?"

29. - Top - End - #209

Hertz

As Hertz's wound were healed, he also felt energy come back to him. Once again he opens his eyes to find himself on the ground, his clothes covered in blood. But this time, however, he smiled. He was progressing, both with his focus and with his usefullness.

Still dizzied, Hertz stood up and brushed dirt away from his things. Much like Kruhljak, he walked to Kylin's mount and untied it before coming back to the group. Just in time to hear the end of Ziran's enumeration. "Very likely. Glad I did not join them, and that this fight was for more than keeping the area safe. What's next?"
    Last edited by Annalia; 2007-04-15 at 09:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Oliana

Oliana leans back away from Hertz as his wounds close quickly-faster than she thought they would. "Huh."

As Carter starts to carve away at the beast, she calls out, "Save the eyes! They mave prove valuable if they keep their odd coloration." She recollects her pack, and slips it on and moves to the stack of magical items that are accumulating at Ziran's feet.

"Anything you can't discern the school of magic, let me have a look, okay?"

Turning to Nalik, "And do we want to search the rest of the area to see if we can find anything else; maybe something to identify these people?"

{OOC: Spellcraft at +9 on the items that Ziran couldn't get an idea of. Cast Detect Magic, if necessary.}
    Last edited by oliana0; 2007-04-15 at 10:15 PM.