New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Where are Ice Assassin and Kender from?

Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    Tasslehoff's fear immunity in the books
    What is this? I didn't play 2e

pic mildly related

ice assassin is often invoked (humorously) to be able to clone gods since bits of hair or fingernail have no GP cost, so are in your spell components pouch by RAW
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    What is this? I didn't play 2e
    Tasslehoff is the kender from the Companions of the Lance, or whatever the name of the group was, and he was in various of the books for the War of the Lance, a pivotal event in the history of Krynn. As a book character and not a mechanical construct, he obviously doesn't translate well onto a character sheet, but the parts that stand out in my mind:

1.) He manages to get onto the back/head of a rather large red dragon, which then takes off in flight. Can't remember how this ends, but Tasslehoff wasn't even phased by the idea of a dragon, let alone it's fear aura.

2.) Lord Soth the Death Knight (the archetypal death knight) had a similar fear aura, but way more intense. Tasslehoff was actually scared of him when they met one time, and I believe the author made passing note of how the encounter scarred the kender (though their psychological resistance/stupidity/plot-armour means that not much about him changed in the end...he was a bit of a comic foil, admittedly).

So I always use virtual immunity (+20 vs fear effects) as opposed to straight-up immunity. This also takes into account how, even in the fluff for 2e, kender do actually mellow a bit with age (though casual observers might not notice). Their wanderlust dies down, they tell more stories as opposed to doing stuff themselves, and generally experience the general halfling tendency to settle on one group of friends, one occupation, and one community in which to annoy people.

As I said, I don't think annoying people is a verboten archetype. There are annoying people out there. And kender do often die due to their curiosity, but not half as often as one would think (they are as lucky as other halflings, generally).
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Tasslehoff is the kender from the Companions of the Lance, or whatever the name of the group was, and he was in various of the books for the War of the Lance, a pivotal event in the history of Krynn. As a book character and not a mechanical construct, he obviously doesn't translate well onto a character sheet, but the parts that stand out in my mind:

1.) He manages to get onto the back/head of a rather large red dragon, which then takes off in flight. Can't remember how this ends, but Tasslehoff wasn't even phased by the idea of a dragon, let alone it's fear aura.

2.) Lord Soth the Death Knight (the archetypal death knight) had a similar fear aura, but way more intense. Tasslehoff was actually scared of him when they met one time, and I believe the author made passing note of how the encounter scarred the kender (though their psychological resistance/stupidity/plot-armour means that not much about him changed in the end...he was a bit of a comic foil, admittedly).

So I always use virtual immunity (+20 vs fear effects) as opposed to straight-up immunity. This also takes into account how, even in the fluff for 2e, kender do actually mellow a bit with age (though casual observers might not notice). Their wanderlust dies down, they tell more stories as opposed to doing stuff themselves, and generally experience the general halfling tendency to settle on one group of friends, one occupation, and one community in which to annoy people.
    There is also the Tower of Wizardry encounter, where he could enter in the surronding forest (that had a aura of fear so strong that other characters couldn't even bear to look at the trees). He couldn't get throught it, tho.

This said, i'm actually surprised that in the whole book collection no bbeg even tries to wipe out kendermore.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gulnar View Post
    There is also the Tower of Wizardry encounter, where he could enter in the surronding forest (that had a aura of fear so strong that other characters couldn't even bear to look at the trees). He couldn't get throught it, tho.

This said, i'm actually surprised that in the whole book collection no bbeg even tries to wipe out kendermore.
    According to wikipedia:
    In 385 AC Kendermore was destroyed by the red dragon-overlord Malystryx.
    So someone finally did get sick of the place. That may have happened outside of the novels though.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So someone finally did get sick of the place. That may have happened outside of the novels though.
    I think it happened offscene or in a dragon preview, but the fallout is well referenced in the novels.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Malystryx's attack on Kendermore is detailed (at least in part; it's been a loooong time since I've read it) in the novel Spirit of the Wind, which was part of the Bridges of Time series.

Said book also details the last adventure of Riverwind, and was a pretty good read, if I recall.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-10-07 at 06:09 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Fun for the player who rolled up the Kender, maybe. I've only seen them used as excuses to be generally dickish to everyone else at the table, and playing a Kender as an excuse to mess with the other PCs is a good way to get your character offed.
    I played a kender without being a ****. It's really easy to do. I think my excuse for my Kender not messing with the other PCs was something along the lines of 'I've already gone through their stuff and they don't have anything interesting to borrow. All boring stuff like money, armor, and weapons. Bleh.'

Beyond that it was more playing up the happy go lucky, innocent bard who cheered on his friends and yelled insults to their enemies.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    Malystryx's attack on Kendermore is detailed (at least in part; it's been a loooong time since I've read it) in the novel Spirit of the Wind, which was part of the Bridges of Time series.

Said book also details the last adventure of Riverwind, and was a pretty good read, if I recall.
    I recommend all of the Dragonlance novels, actually. I read a good dozen or so of the ones from the time of the War of the Lance and its buildup through the Chronicles of the Twins, and they were pretty good reads. I'd probably nominate the Dragons of X series as some of the best, like Dragons of Spring Dawning, I think it was. As annoying as people find kenders, and as weird overall as that whole group was, for some reason the novels are really good and paint a very nice rendition of the lives of individual heroes as war on a vast scale unfolds.

The stuff about Raistlin's crazy attempt to become a god and Caramon's attempts to stop him are rather more self-indulgent reads, as is anything with kender/tinker gnome facilitated time travel. Not necessarily bad stuff, and gave me an entirely new respect for the depth of Raistlin's guts and determination (and...oh right, he's totally bonkers).

At least I was impressed back in middle school. Not sure how they would hold up to a reread now that I've actually read really, really good books.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

At least I was impressed back in middle school. Not sure how they would hold up to a reread now that I've actually read really, really good books.
    Speaking as someone who owns dozens of Dragonlance books, as a whole they don't really hold up. The Weis and Hickman novels, particularly the Chronicles and Legends trilogies, are pretty good, as are a few others like Legend of Huma or Doom Brigade, and most of the short story collections contain at least a few gems. But the majority are pretty standard and unremarkable fantasy fare, and there are quite a few stinkers - I find the early Fifth Age books in particular to be almost unreadable.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-10-07 at 06:56 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I saw a description of Kender that makes them seem a bit better. Instead of "compulsively steals things," use "no concept of personal property." Take the Wizard's spellbook to look at all the weird drawings, give it back as soon as he asks if anyone's seen it. It's not stealing, or even "borrowing" - just "this is an interesting thing I will pick it up and examine it - oh, you want it? here you go."

This would come across as a combination of kleptomania and generosity.

"his book" is just a shorter way to say "that book he always carries around and reads"
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I saw a description of Kender that makes them seem a bit better. Instead of "compulsively steals things," use "no concept of personal property." Take the Wizard's spellbook to look at all the weird drawings, give it back as soon as he asks if anyone's seen it. It's not stealing, or even "borrowing" - just "this is an interesting thing I will pick it up and examine it - oh, you want it? here you go."

This would come across as a combination of kleptomania and generosity.

"his book" is just a shorter way to say "that book he always carries around and reads"
    stoner anarcho-commie hippie kender
    wizard"where's my thing?"
    kender"here ya go. property is like, theft anyway, man"
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    stoner anarcho-commie hippie kender
    wizard"where's my thing?"
    kender"here ya go. property is like, theft anyway, man"
    Well I have my next 3.5 character. The Hippie Kender Druid.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.