New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Developing a Hierarchy.

Up until now, I've been following the feudal hierarchy provided in the pathfinder game mastery guide, with a few of my own additions, namely: Knight Captain, and Knight General.

Here's how I had it set up, in accordance with the above mentioned book:
    Emperor
    King
    Prince
    Duke
    Margrave
    Count/Earl
    Viscount
    Baron
    Knight/Lord
    Merchant
    Freeman
    Serf

My tweek sets the Knight General as an appointment made by the Emperor: Usually there are up to five of them in the entire empire. I'm not sure what equivalent status they should have, but they are basically the Emperor's personal guard, and an enforcer in the Emperor's absence. They're in charge of the Imperial Army. It's a landed title.
    Not sure about Knight Captains, not quite yet. My players have encountered Knight captains in the past, usually walking side by side with a baron.

Can I get some thoughts?

In a rival empire, the empress is a supreme legislator(the only official legislator in the country). Instead of an aristocracy, hers is a military dictatorship, in which generals enforce the empress's laws within a province.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-06 at 07:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Developing a Hierarchy.

I find it interesting that you have merchants listed as a separate rank, distinctly and inherently higher than freemen. To my understanding, merchants typically held superior rank only when their wealth allowed de facto importance greater than their fellow commoners—merchants were only a class in an unofficial sense, and typically came from the ranks of the commoners. (In feudal Japan, the merchants were considered the lowest of all, since they didn't actually produce anything.)

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingPirate

To be fair, I'm only using the feudal system out of convenience. Based on what little I know, feudalism never really existed in Europe; historical revisionism in the renaissance painted most of our modern picture of 'feudalism', but really it was a lot less uniform. Occasionally you'd get a land owning knight, but it was pretty much like you or me walking into a forest and proclaiming ownership of that forest arbitrarily.

As for the station of merchants, I only put them there to indicate that typically they're slightly wealthier than freemen, but in my setting they usually just rent land from a lord or knight, if they even do that. Same goes for freemen...
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-06 at 08:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I find it interesting that you have merchants listed as a separate rank, distinctly and inherently higher than freemen. To my understanding, merchants typically held superior rank only when their wealth allowed de facto importance greater than their fellow commoners—merchants were only a class in an unofficial sense...
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    ...As for the station of merchants, I only put them there to indicate that typically they're slightly wealthier than freemen...
    It might be worth listing official rank and de facto rank, i.e. real power, separately. That would make, for instance, a merchant and a freeman equal officially but different in real power. It also provides a possible answer for the Knight General and Knight Captain. Let the Knight Captain be officially the same as any other knight, but in actual power just a half step below whatever lord he serves. Similarly with the Knight General: he may be officially elevated to the equivalent of, say, a duke or count, but in actual power can intimidate a king.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps trading requires a certain privilege (either inherited or granted), thus making Merchants a distinct class?
    Last edited by Aolbain; 2014-10-07 at 10:44 AM.
    A million thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar!

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingPirate

If there is a merchant's guild, trading within their territory might require membership in the guild, which might itself have a lord in charge. I haven't quite worked that out yet, but I have established the existence of merchant's guilds. I've also established that, with the permission of a baron, they can found a village and run it as mayor, equal in power to a lord, with the exception that they do not get serfs.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-07 at 11:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Are there other guilds (Smiths, tanners, wizards etc.)? If so, merchants could be replaced with a broad guild-members class.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I like to have separate chains of feudal obligation. For example, a military one,
    Emperor
    Prince
    General
    Knight
    Lord

A religious one:
    High Priest
    Archbishop
    Bishop
    Priest
    Brother

A secular one:
    Duke
    Baron
    Earl
    Marquis
    Gentleman

And perhaps even various official positions in the commoners ranks, such as merchants, guildmasters, sheriffs, and so on. This structure allows for more infighting between the ranks, as several similarly ranked individuals from competing branches of government strive to assert their dominance, or to step up by stepping over a rival branch a notch higher than their own. Examples of this would be a Bishop attempting to usurp the power of a General by creating a competing military arm or a Merchant attempting to usurp the civil authority of a Marquis by buying off the henchmen and appointed civil administrators of the Mark.

With a few competing lines of fealty you can easily create a complex web of politics the PC's interested in such things must navigate. And for most PC's, such matters will be far above their pay grade anyway, so the more convoluted it appears from the outside, the more daunting entrance into the web of fealty appears. Recognition by a Prince may well earn the adventurer the enmity of the Archbishop who is competing with him, and the friendship of the merchant who seeks to destabilize the local priesthood for his own benefit.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingPirate

On the topic of guilds, there was a village lead by merchant mayor tod, who belongs to the merchant's guild of the barony of heiligenhafen. The barony was also home to several artisan guilds, like the smithy's guild, the weaver's guild and so on, as well as the state run mage's guild(existing to regulate legal use of magic).

Back on the topic of class systems, in my setting the emperor has struck a deal with the headmaster of a foreign assassination academy. He and the headmaster formed an organization calle the "shadow guard", which is basically a secret police force. members of the shadow guard are students of this foreign academy, and are mostly rogue/mages. each shadow guard base has a captain, and his unranked underlings, but they're all students, with the captain a senior. what rank might these guys have? as far as anyone ranked lord or lower is concerned, the shadowguard does not exist.
    Shadow guard captains answer directly to the emperor and the headmaster, but usually those ranked Baron or higher at least know of their existence, and give them permission to take care of subversive elements(not their true objective. even the barons don't know their true purpose).
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-07 at 03:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

If the shadow guard are foreigners they might exist outside the national rank system. That could be useful for a secret police organization.

If they aren't, and they necessarily need a position, I would make the captains Knights and the unranked, well, unranked.

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

So, most in the most recent game, my players found themselves locked in the middle of a rebellion in the city of soholm. they were asked for help by one of rebels for help. they learned that the baron's 16 year old son is leading the rebellion(against the empire). one of my players mentioned off hand that he was hoping to get something nice out of the deal. I'm wondering if my players are ready for that sort of thing, and whether or not it is appropriate to the scenario. the scenario is pretty straight forward: kick the imperials and shadow guard out, overthrow the baron(an imperial sympathizer), put the boy in charge. if they succeed, I was wondering what reward would be appropriate. this is pathfinder, and the average party level is 5.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    I find it interesting that you have merchants listed as a separate rank, distinctly and inherently higher than freemen. To my understanding, merchants typically held superior rank only when their wealth allowed de facto importance greater than their fellow commoners—merchants were only a class in an unofficial sense, and typically came from the ranks of the commoners. (In feudal Japan, the merchants were considered the lowest of all, since they didn't actually produce anything.)
    To pick a nit: all Confucian societies, including China and Japan at various points in history, officially placed merchants below craftsmen and farmers, on the basis that merchants produced nothing, they just moved stuff around. In practice, merchants always held as much power as their wealth allowed, which could vary considerably over time.

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    I like to have separate chains of feudal obligation. For example, a military one,
    Emperor
    Prince
    General
    Knight
    Lord

A religious one:
    High Priest
    Archbishop
    Bishop
    Priest
    Brother

A secular one:
    Duke
    Baron
    Earl
    Marquis
    Gentleman

And perhaps even various official positions in the commoners ranks, such as merchants, guildmasters, sheriffs, and so on. This structure allows for more infighting between the ranks, as several similarly ranked individuals from competing branches of government strive to assert their dominance, or to step up by stepping over a rival branch a notch higher than their own. Examples of this would be a Bishop attempting to usurp the power of a General by creating a competing military arm or a Merchant attempting to usurp the civil authority of a Marquis by buying off the henchmen and appointed civil administrators of the Mark.

With a few competing lines of fealty you can easily create a complex web of politics the PC's interested in such things must navigate. And for most PC's, such matters will be far above their pay grade anyway, so the more convoluted it appears from the outside, the more daunting entrance into the web of fealty appears. Recognition by a Prince may well earn the adventurer the enmity of the Archbishop who is competing with him, and the friendship of the merchant who seeks to destabilize the local priesthood for his own benefit.
    This is a realistic and interesting approach to take. Many historical cultures (and even present-day ones) had/have multiple separate hierarchies of power and influence that give people differing degrees of control over various aspects of society. Secular and religious hierarchies have clashed over political influence many times in history; ultimately, both want to control the commoners, and their goals do not always align. There is a lot of potential for story-building here.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingPirate

I was actually wondering how a religious hierarchy might work in a polytheistic setting. I can at least figure out how the state church would operate, but lets say as a reward for helping the rebels, my cleric player was given a permit by the new baron to build up a temple of Kord. within the empire, kord worship is a capital offense, right next to heironeous worship.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-08 at 08:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

In Ancient Rome the Pantheon was the official state religion, though they weren't really obsessed with getting rid of the religions of their slaves until the advent of Nero's blaming Christians for the fire that allowed him to build his private palace.

Small towns or villages would have a single temple dedicated to a single member of the pantheon, while larger towns and cities would have proportionally more temples. Of course, as the high priest of Zeus, the Emperor was in charge of all the various branches of the pantheistic faith.

However, your pantheon may have internal power struggles and competing hierarchies too, with parallel paths to power, so that while the High Priest of Zeus is technically in charge, those Archbishops of Apollo get uppity from time to time, and those meddling Herans are always up to mischief, spying on everyone and snooping.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage
    So, most in the most recent game, my players found themselves locked in the middle of a rebellion in the city of soholm. they were asked for help by one of rebels for help. they learned that the baron's 16 year old son is leading the rebellion(against the empire). one of my players mentioned off hand that he was hoping to get something nice out of the deal. I'm wondering if my players are ready for that sort of thing, and whether or not it is appropriate to the scenario. the scenario is pretty straight forward: kick the imperials and shadow guard out, overthrow the baron(an imperial sympathizer), put the boy in charge. if they succeed, I was wondering what reward would be appropriate. this is pathfinder, and the average party level is 5.
    They could betray the rebel an favor the Empire, earning the gratitude of the Imperial officer on the scene. Appropriate rewards would be money, naturally, and a position as that officer's troubleshooter squad. They could be sent in to the next possible hot spot to 'deal' with another uppity rival.

They could support the rebel for similar rewards, but in this scenario the Imperials will send in a massive retaliation squad which the rebel will naturally aim them at. Winning the battle is not equal to winning the war!

They could be focused against the Shadow Guard exclusively, in which case the Imperials may not know of them, (though the Shadow Guard will, and will not forget.) In this case they effectively replace, or are suborned by, the shadow guard. Whether they continue to act as agents of fear to dominate the populace or whether they act as agents of salvation against the forces of fear, their work is cut out for them. A society that has been ruled by fear for generations does not easily throw that beast off their backs. Even if the Shadow Guard is gone, others within the community will attempt to continue the 'normal' practice of domination by fear, either in competition with or outright hostility against the PC's.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    If they succeed then they are Enemies of the Empire, just like the rebel leader they aided. The best reward would be either protection or something that helps them protect themselves. False papers and safe passage the hell out of empire-controlled territory come to mind. Or hats of disguise for everyone.

If they betray the rebel leader and aid the emipre, then a suitable reward would be the overlooking of other crimes. "And they'll stay overlooked as long as you continue to be of use to us, capisci?"
    Last edited by jqavins; 2014-10-08 at 01:35 PM.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

With relation to "lord" and "knight" specifically: depending on the area, "lord" historically might or might not have had a specific meaning; usually it was very general. However usually lords were nobles (some petty "lords of the manor" might have been merely freemen) and in colloquial meaning "lord" generally refers to a member of the aristocracy. As I say, it depends where you are: in Scotland a laird (translated into English as "lord") really just means "owner of freehold land" which is where all those bogus internet noble titles come from. It's all a bit more complicated than that, vague and ill-defined, and hard for modern minds to understand, of course.

A knight, on the other hand, is a military qualification but doesn't necessarily denote membership of the noble class. A noble is not necessarily a knight (although most are) and many - probably most - knights were (and certainly are) commoners. Over time, knights tended to develop into a class of their own (which, combined with civilian persons of status, ultimately became the gentry) but they were not, strictly, members of the aristocracy and did not have noble privileges - though they might have had knightly privileges. Many of them would not even have owned land.

There is a further title in English often overlooked which bridges the gap - the baronet - which is a sort of hereditary knighthood. It doesn't indicate noble rank, but it's a marked social step above other commoners.

The important thing to note is the military/civilian distinction: a renowned knight, although often a very junior noble or even a commoner, might well be given command in battle over inexperienced members of the aristocracy (or, more subtly, deployed alongside a senior one in a distinction between titular and de facto commanders). Obvious examples from England would be John and William Marshal, Sir Walter Manny, Sir John Fastolf, and Sir John Talbot. Of course, many of those were later given higher noble titles in recognition of their wartime deeds, but that came after they had already held command.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingPirate

Great replies so far, thanks everyone for your help. This has actually gone a long way towards helping me to figure out what this world looks like, socially speaking. Before, I had a very vague idea of what it was like: I knew there would be an emperor on top, and I've dealt somewhat between Lord and Baron(in terms of power, one controlled a village, the other controlled a city, and outlying areas). I'm hoping that I am on the right track, so far.

I had a vague idea of Knight Generals, because of the backstory of the current emperor- that before he became emperor, he was a knight general, and climbed the ranks starting as just a squire at the bottom. Mostly, he impressed a lot of people thanks to his prowess. It helped that at the time Heironeous worship was the chief religion in the empire, and he was a Paladin of Heironeous(the reasons for why he is no longer a paladin are for another topic).

Actually, I'm playing with the idea that Emperor Adelard was a child of the previous emperor, and if this might help explain how he so easily climbed the ranks to becoming a Knight General by age 30... If he was an imperial prince, would it make sense for him to start out as a squire at age 15, as has already been established in game?
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-09 at 08:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Of course he would begin his training as a page at a much earlier age, and be squired by the time he 'came of age'. His rise to the top would be swift, as mentors at each step wish to stay in good graces with the current emperor. He would have to exhibit true incompetence for the various officers to not promote him at the earliest opportunity, and if he actually showed promise as an officer the promotions would come faster.