New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Level adjustments, i dont understand

i seem to be sayng this alot lol..but i dont really understand some things about the LA rules..i understand for a new character if they had half clestial template they are a ECL 4 ( effectivly lvl 4) ..untill you add the class lvl .making them ECL5 with 1 lvl in..lets say fighter correct?
    if thats the case..what happens when said caracter hits ECL 20? ..do they count as an epic character with +4 LA and 16 lvls in fighter? or do they not count untill they are at 20 lvls in fighter? ..do they qualify for epic feats? !?!?

answers would be wonderful :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Level adjustments, i dont understand

You only qualify for epic feats when you have 21 or more HD, regardless of ECL. All ECL determines is WBL and the amount of exp you should gain from a given encounter.

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

ECL also serves as a rule/guideline for the maximum level of a PC at character creation, which is a rule/guideline that every person that plays d&d in my city doesn't seem to grasp...
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2014-10-06 at 09:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Effective Character Level = total Hit Dice + total Level Adjustment.
    5 = 1 + 4(Half Celestial)
    PCs of equal ECL are treated as equal level in the DM's eyes.

5. - Top - End - #5

alright :) anything else i need to know about this? cause lately my group keeps trying to use LA characters

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by finaldooms View Post
    alright :) anything else i need to know about this? cause lately my group keeps trying to use LA characters
    Yes. WotC doesn't know what a fair LA is. Keep an eye out for a character being too weak (relative to the group) as a result of their level adjustment. In those cases, the DM should feel free to reduce their LA.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

LA: - is not the same as LA:0. LA:- means that the creature is not suitable as a PC. LA:0 means that there is no LA, such as the races in the PH.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

8. - Top - End - #8

yea..part of my group wanted to use some form of giant and ..we got to find out a normal stone giant is a lvl 18 character..before adding a class lvl lol..so i looked up a homebrew version that was a bit more ok for me cuase i didnt wana just flat out say no to them..and does a +4 for a half celestial template sound fair ? ..they got spells ..and a few immunites form what i saw is all

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Level adjustments, i dont understand

Savage Species has savage progressions of some races, essentially allowing you to start as a weaker version of a monster and as you level, gain more HD/LA and abilities. You may want to look in there. Although a few progressions will have to be modified slightly as some monsters changed between 3.0 and 3.5

Half Celestial is meh. I would say that it's not worth it being 4 levels behind for the abilities it offers. But there are certainly worse templates one could take. :)

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

yea..part of my group wanted to use some form of giant and ..we got to find out a normal stone giant is a lvl 18 character..before adding a class lvl lol..so i looked up a homebrew version that was a bit more ok for me cuase i didnt wana just flat out say no to them..and does a +4 for a half celestial template sound fair ? ..they got spells ..and a few immunites form what i saw is all
    Not counting LA +0 ones, about 99% of templates are worthless on a caster, and about 75% of them aren't worth the lost levels on a non-caster. Of the good ones, about 90% are LA +1 and the rest are LA +2. I can't think of a single template with LA +3 or more that's worth it.

11. - Top - End - #11

i figured that was the case ..honestly 90% of the time i dont see the point of not being a human.. i mean hey free feat and bonus skill points as needed? thats typically a win win situation

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Not counting LA +0 ones, about 99% of templates are worthless on a caster, and about 75% of them aren't worth the lost levels on a non-caster. Of the good ones, about 90% are LA +1 and the rest are LA +2. I can't think of a single template with LA +3 or more that's worth it.
    I can think of 1(!) LA+5 thats worth it as caster, but its rather cheesy since part of the abilities gained is 'cast as Sorcerer at HD+4', which if you read Monster Manual on advancing monsters includes class levels.
    Last edited by Sian; 2014-10-07 at 12:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

The most expensive template I know of that is usually worth its LA is the Monster of Legend from Monster Manual 2 at +7.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ranagrande View Post
    The most expensive template I know of that is usually worth its LA is the Monster of Legend from Monster Manual 2 at +7.
    Explain please?

15. - Top - End - #15

Let's see...

+5 Natural Armor, +3 to all saves, +10 str, +6 dex, +10 con, +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha, Improved Initiative and Multiattack as bonus feats, Fast Healing 5, permanent Spell Turning, and it gains spellcasting as a 5th level Cleric.

I'd say that's worth +7 LA. There are other options you could select too, but that would be my choice.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Let's see...

+5 Natural Armor, +3 to all saves, +10 str, +6 dex, +10 con, +2 int, +2 wis, +4 cha, Improved Initiative and Multiattack as bonus feats, Fast Healing 5, permanent Spell Turning, and it gains spellcasting as a 5th level Cleric.

I'd say that's worth +7 LA. There are other options you could select too, but that would be my choice.
    The cleric casting cannot be advanced and is limited to a small set of domains(without domain powers or domain slots). It is probably worth +5 LA but that decreases as the final ECL increases.

17. - Top - End - #17

I see no reason why the Cleric casting couldn't be advanced. Just take a level of Cleric and then go into whatever PRC you want. It should work according to the "Associated Class Levels" rule in the Monster Manual.

Their list isn't that limited either. Its the Protection, Strength, and War domains plus the regular Cleric list.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WhamBamSam View Post
    You only qualify for epic feats when you have 21 or more HD, regardless of ECL. All ECL determines is WBL and the amount of exp you should gain from a given encounter.
    Actually, monster characters become epic characters (and are able to select epic feats) once they reach ECL 21. Per the Dungeon Master's Guide:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon Master's Guide, Monsters as Epic Characters, p. 209
    The epic rules in this section also work for monsters with character levels, using the creature's effective character level (ECL) instead of just its class levels. For example, a bugbear (3 Hit Dice and +2 level adjustment) that is also a 14th-level fighter/3rd level blackguard is ECL 22 and thus gains an epic attack and save bonus.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2014-10-07 at 04:44 AM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see...

Lets see, you know what else could give you those saves and AC: a whole heck of a lot less than 7 levels worth of dips. A couple levels in fighter for the bonus feats. And as you pointed out, its casting only advances if you take for cleric levels. So You've pidgeonholed yourself into one class, only your two levels behind in doing what that class does, most of what you got doesn't particularly help, and now you're fragile as paper compared to anything you would go up against (as a level1 cleric Creature of legend would only have 5 more HP than an otherwise identical level 1 character, while a level 8 cleric would have about 8 times as many HP as a level 1 cleric). Fast Healing5 is only slightly more useful that fast healing1, and you can get that for a mere LA+1 template.

20. - Top - End - #20

That's all true, and I'm not sure I'd want to play a Monster of Legend starting at level 8. However, the gap actually closes as it gains levels, and at ECL 20, the MoL will actually have more HP than a Cleric 20 who started with less than a 20 constitution. And they'll both have 9th level spells.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

Read the LA buyoff rules and use them. It makes playing races with LA much more acceptable.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ra...djustments.htm

Second, I would alter the rules somewhat if you really wanted players to feel free to play many of the higher level monsters.

-

First, I would ignore the part about not counting RHD when buying off LA.

Second, I would ignore the table for when LA is bought off. I would just let them buy off a level of LA at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18 regardless of the LA they have.

I would also allow players to retrain a RHD into a class level at the same time as they buy off an LA (even if they don't have an LA.

The stone giant is playable as a 14th level character with 10 RHD, 4 class levels, and 0 LA. A hill giant is playable as a level 12 character with 8 RHD, 4 class levels, and no LA.

I would also state that a race cannot have it's RHD+LA reduced to lower than any casting levels it progresses, so a nymph cannot have lower than 6RHD and 1 LA due to the fact that it grants casting as a 7th level druid.

-

This would be for a mid to high level monster centered game though, as it would blow many core races out of the water as far as choices go. Fun if you want players to play monsters and not be crippled.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2014-10-07 at 08:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, I solve monster issues by playing gestalt. Just shove all the RHD and LA on one side, have that act as the "passive" side, while leaving room for actual class abilities on the other, "active" side.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    Actually, monster characters become epic characters (and are able to select epic feats) once they reach ECL 21. Per the Dungeon Master's Guide:
    THIS!!! ..if im reading this right my player who is a half celestial ( +4LA) will count as epic at ECL 21? aka ..17 lvls in cleric ( in his case) along with the +4 to = 21

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Male

Ghost is an excellent template at +5 LA, but only if you take malevolence as one of your abilities. Inhabit other monsters and use their bodies as ablative armor. Along with all the other goodies they get (plus the Ghostly Grasp feat), there are a lot of shenanigans you can pursue with that.

Also, pixie.
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-08 at 12:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

For further reading: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook. Most of what you're looking for should be in the fourth post, if memory (and my cursory review) serves me.
    Member in excellent standing of the Dunning-Kruger society

26. - Top - End - #26

i love how most of the things i asked are answered by that link to urpriest XD

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Also, pixie.
    Petal is my very favorite race. Although it's listed as having LA: +2 (Cohort), the vast majority of DMs I've played with have allowed it for PC use when asked. (yes, be sure to ask.)

Basically pixie minus 2 LA, some of the craziest stat mods (not all of them), and the invisibility. But still buckets of fun as long as you don't need strength or reach.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Ghost is an excellent template at +5 LA, but only if you take malevolence as one of your abilities. Inhabit other monsters and use their bodies as ablative armor. Along with all the other goodies they get (plus the Ghostly Grasp feat), there are a lot of shenanigans you can pursue with that.
    Eh, its better to take the template class than the whole template. Usual cut-off points are either 1st (grant the the undeadness, incorporealness,boatload of immunities that come with them, and CHA to AC), 2nd (lesser ghost power, usually telekineses [one of the others has friendly fire, and the other can be bought for a few feats]), or 4th (malevolence). 5th level isn't worth it, all that gives is another +2 to some perception and sneaky skills. So at the very least you save a point of LA.

29. - Top - End - #29

ElfPirate

With LA buy off remember you are supposed to buy them off at level = LA * 3, ie 9=LA3*3. This means that LA3 is the highest you can buy off in normal play. One LA at level 9, the next at level at 15, ant the last at level 18. With an LA of 4 it becomes first buy off at level 12, next at level 21 (outside of normal play).
    Hmm, seem to have left the last letter out of my name I wonder if I can change that somehow...

Vestige by Marlowe http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...2&postcount=70

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been mostly confused by LA rules as well.

Example:
    A Gnoll has 2HD and is a LA+1 race

So a Gnoll Ranger would count as a 2HD + 1LA +1 Ranger Class == 4 ECL? To advance to Ranger 2 he would then need to reach ECL 5, or 15,000XP for 2nd level ranger?

Or, while his ECL is 5, he would need (1LA + 1 Ranger, ie 2nd level equivelent) 3,000XP to reach 2nd level ranger?