New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Shakespeare in the Playground

So I had reason today to think about Shakespeare in the Bush and it got me thinking, how would the various alignments interpret the story of Hamlet? What do the LG think of it vs the LE? CG vs. CE? Assuming the story more or less moves forward as is with no speak with dead, resurrect or other magic interference because of [reasons], and a bunch of exemplars were sitting around hearing about it, how would they react or interpret it?

So points awarded for entertaining/fun/absurd ways our exemplar friends would understand the story, bonus points if you provide their dialogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Shakespeare in the Playground

I don't think alignment is the correct lense for this. The elders in Shakespeare in the Bush have such a vastly different cultural background that the story is impossible to translate. At every step of the way, their worldview clashes with the worldview of Shakespear, and when they interpret the story through their cultural lense they arrive at different conclusions.

Alignment isn't as powerful a lense as culture, and I think that six people from the same general cultural background who only differ in alignment would arrive at the same themes and meanings in Hamlet. They just wouldn't care about certain aspects of the morality.
    Alignment is all about morality,.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well we might be able to say some things about how the alignments(or specific instances of the alignments) would judge the characters.

For instance,
    Hamlet is fulfilling a perceived duty to save his father's soul by unlawfully slaying his murderer.
    Instances of Lawful and Chaotic would have various opinions about whether this is a foolish or wise intention/method and for different reasons.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Personally I think that's what makes this an interesting exercise. Not only do we have the absolutism(ish) of D&D mortality to contrast to what we may consider in the real world, but also if you're able to consider exemplar races points of view, in which certain elements may be completely foreign, there's a lot of interesting depth to explore. Modron's for example, would probably take this in a very different way from both you and I, and a very different way from the denizens of the 9 Hells or the Slaad. I do understand your point though.
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGirl

Slaad would probably have been under the impression that it's a Monty Python production, and start making references to "launch the cow!" and how Hamlet's father was a hamster and his mother smelled of elderberry. Certainly, by the time Hamlet starts talking to himself for the second or third time, they'd likely rush onstage, fire the actors, rehire the actors and turn the whole thing into a Noh reinterpretation of Westside Story (Hamlet is Kruptkey, Ophelia is a very confused Maria who can't sing on-key).

This would be even more true if they were actually in the story interacting with real characters instead of actors, lol.
    In my dreams, I am currently a druid 20/wizard 10/arcane hierophant 10/warshaper 5. Actually, after giving birth to a galaxy by splitting a black hole, level is no longer relevant.

Extended Sigbox

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    I've never been able to put my finger on how to describe you Phelix, but I think I have an idea now.

You're Tippy's fluffy cousin...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
    I don't think alignment is the correct lense for this. The elders in Shakespeare in the Bush have such a vastly different cultural background that the story is impossible to translate. At every step of the way, their worldview clashes with the worldview of Shakespear, and when they interpret the story through their cultural lense they arrive at different conclusions.

Alignment isn't as powerful a lense as culture, and I think that six people from the same general cultural background who only differ in alignment would arrive at the same themes and meanings in Hamlet. They just wouldn't care about certain aspects of the morality.
    Alignment is all about morality,.
    Just alignment, no, but the various exemplar and iconic outsiders of various alignments would also have different cultural mores from one another while also having some awareness of the cultural mores of clueless primes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Might be easier to interpret it via the Monster Manual. After all, being a ghost gives you +2 CR and are hard to defeat with a magical weapon. So Kingy-Pants should not be so lazy and get his own dang revenge. And nothing says he can't appear to other people and get his story out, sheesh.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Might be easier to interpret it via the Monster Manual. After all, being a ghost gives you +2 CR and are hard to defeat with a magical weapon. So Kingy-Pants should not be so lazy and get his own dang revenge. And nothing says he can't appear to other people and get his story out, sheesh.
    The idea is to interpret from their points of view (just like Hamlet was interpreted by the Bushmen Elders' point of view).

A Ghost would probably be confused at Hamlet's skepticism, hesitance and confusion. This is finishing business after all, everything else pales in importance to the troubles of a ghost.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-10-07 at 08:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    since that's true, they'd conclude that king hamlet wasn't a ghost and thus didn't exist, actually being a side effect of a nightmare spell fortinbras cast on hamlet continually throughout the play, rendering him unable to sleep, or possibly x image line, so that once hamlet went nuts and killed everyone including himself, fortinbras would be poised to take over. it's at once a nonsensical, overly complicated, and completely implausible plan, even for deeandee

so what I'm saying is the drow would love it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

They believed that certain creatures existed, and followed certain. particular, rules. Hence why the suggestion to swap Alignment for the Monster Manual. After all, they're arguing over what a ghost does as opposed to a zombie. That sounds like many arguments I've had in game!

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    since that's true, they'd conclude that king hamlet wasn't a ghost and thus didn't exist, actually being a side effect of a nightmare spell fortinbras cast on hamlet continually throughout the play, rendering him unable to sleep, or possibly x image line, so that once hamlet went nuts and killed everyone including himself, fortinbras would be poised to take over. it's at once a nonsensical, overly complicated, and completely implausible plan, even for deeandee

so what I'm saying is the drow would love it.
    I dunno, the whole male humanoid killing another male humanoid for the male humanoid's female humanoid mate might just scandalize them at the very idea of a female humanoid being a prize rather than manipulating them all to eliminate all of her potential rivals.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I dunno, the whole male humanoid killing another male humanoid for the male humanoid's female humanoid mate might just scandalize them at the very idea of a female humanoid being a prize rather than manipulating them all to eliminate all of her potential rivals.
    but a sizable portion of the audience would say gertrude was complicit in claudius's plan to kill king hamlet the whole time, which is why she went along with it and tried to dissuade hamlet from his vendetta.

also, you're assuming they'd put it on as-is. hamlet's changed a lot since day 1. why would a drow version be exactly the same as a human version? at the very least, as you've mentioned, a rule 63 on the cast is likely. it's not like "hamlet" and such are gendered names on oerth, so they'd be down with the role being played by a lady.

actually, all drow performers are probably women, and they dress as men to do male roles, similar to how players in shakespeare's time did the opposite.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

also, you're assuming they'd put it on as-is.
    Yes, I was, because that is the premise of the OP and the thread so far, and you hadn't said anything about adapting it for Drow use until this post.
    Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    The idea is to interpret from their points of view (just like Hamlet was interpreted by the Bushmen Elders' point of view).

A Ghost would probably be confused at Hamlet's skepticism, hesitance and confusion. This is finishing business after all, everything else pales in importance to the troubles of a ghost.
    I was certainly hoping for interpretive views though "why didn't the ghost just take revenge" is a good point of view I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Yes, I was, because that is the premise of the OP and the thread so far, and you hadn't said anything about adapting it for Drow use until this post.
    I did want to maintain the premise of the story not changing but as several posters have expressed an interest in alternative versions, sure, that could be fun as well. Retold or interpretted by D&D races, such as ophelia's role in the eyes of the drow, especially if a female stow were to tell the story, would probably change it quite a bit.

So how to phrase the question then, how would hamlet, or any Shakespeare play be told, progressed, or been understood through the lens of D&D.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

A CE exemplar would consider it one of his finest comedies.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

By Monster Manual, I didn't mean the races within (Through the drow one would be interesting, maybe an explanation as to why men are incapable of leading), but rather the rules regarding the monsters (Say, a ghost) showing up in the story.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Reading this topic, I'm imagining a 'DM of the Rings'-esque reinterpretation of Shakespeare's best...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Reading this topic, I'm imagining a 'DM of the Rings'-esque reinterpretation of Shakespeare's best...
    I'd read that.

DM imposes all-bard party. party gets him back by rolling all drow. hilarity ensues.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #19

NecromancerGuy

I'd read that.

DM imposes all-bard party. party gets him back by rolling all drow. hilarity ensues.
    Second.

There needs to be something in here about forbidding Dragonforce, the all-kobold bard band, too.
    Homebrew