New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Best knight class?

Ok I have a few books that feature the knight class, all seem interesting yet very different at times. I was wondering which is overall the best and which one matches the flavor of knight I'm looking for. I'll list the knights and books they are within below...

Mongoose publishing power classes: knight

Adventuring classes a fistful of denarii: knight

Dungeons and dragons players handbook 2: knight

Legends of excalibur: knight

So which knight is the best?

The flavor I'm going for is a knightly swordmaster, specializing in a great sword and not being a damage taking tank.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best knight class?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Rose View Post
    Ok I have a few books that feature the knight class, all seem interesting yet very different at times. I was wondering which is overall the best and which one matches the flavor of knight I'm looking for. I'll list the knights and books they are within below...

Mongoose publishing power classes: knight

Adventuring classes a fistful of denarii: knight

Dungeons and dragons players handbook 2: knight

Legends of excalibur: knight

So which knight is the best?

The flavor I'm going for is a knightly swordmaster, specializing in a great sword and not being a damage taking tank.
    since this is the 3.5 forum, I think you're mostly gonna get responses about PHB2's knight. it's a pretty bad class, but person man wrote a great handbook about how to play one effectively.

as far as the others, I'm afraid I can't say, myself, but you might have better luck in the other systems board.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Warblade...
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    Warblade...
    Crusader would be my preference.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Crusader would be my preference.
    Fact is, Crusader doesn't have to tank (and the OP doesn't want him to), but he can, and he's pretty good at it. But yes, Crusader and Warblade are both quite capable of the "swordmaster in shining armor" angle.

Now, OP, the first question is: Are you attached to the class name of Knight, or the concept of a Knight? There are a hundred and one ways to do a trained warrior in shining armor. In 3.5 alone, you have Fighters, Paladins, Samurai, Crusaders, Warblades, Knights, Clerics, and several dozen other options. Any one of them can be called a knight - the class name is simply a label for the mechanics involved. You could be Sir Ufric, Knight of the Furious Blade, a Barbarian, if you really wanted.

So what do you want?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I'd go with Wardenr myself
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If you're just a Knight who serves their King/Lady I can easily see a Fighter build working well, just see if the DM will let you add Diplomacy & Knowledge (Royalty & Nobility) as a class skill.

If you're looking to be more like say King Arthur or Lancelot, a highly noble, honest and fair knight I'd lean towards a Paladin. But play them for as just say having high moral standards rather than say "Smite tigh evil!" and re fluff the smite evil power as say a cool sword trick, and the lay on hands as providing inspiration to your fellow brother in arms to keep going, special mount being a whistle to call your mount from nearby. Probably should also grab a variant to make the Paladin a spell-less kind, or get really creative in re-skinning all the spells to represent some kind of leadership or amazing sword trick.
    Oh hello! :)

Please note if you are replying to one of my d&d 3.5 topics asking about a character build, I just feel the need to inform you that there's a 95% chance I won't be using the character. I jump ideas, inspirations and motivations far too often and rarely end up sticking with a concept into play sadly.

But I enjoy being able to learn more on D&D and builds through the topics and giving the mind exercises for those who want it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Venger, afaik this board is as good a place as any to discuss 3rd party materials for the 3.5 game.

That said, in my opinion the best 'Knight' is the PF cavalier with the battle master archetype (archetyping over the horse abilities). Not entirely 3.5 (and even 3rd party for PF) but I has a lot of fun with it.

9. - Top - End - #9

It's not called "knight," but the Warder from Pathfinders Path of War is an excelent knight class.

I'm also a fan of the Cavalier Pathfinder core class, which pulls off the "knight in shining armor" schtick fairly well.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Venger, afaik this board is as good a place as any to discuss 3rd party materials for the 3.5 game.

That said, in my opinion the best 'Knight' is the PF cavalier with the battle master archetype (archetyping over the horse abilities). Not entirely 3.5 (and even 3rd party for PF) but I has a lot of fun with it.
    my mistake. I didn't recognize those other titles, so didn't know they were 3rd party 3.5 things.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11

Which book has the battle master archetype? We all play pathfinder and many of us want to be knights due to GOT. None of is want to be a mounted warrior.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

'The Genius Guide to Martial Archetypes' by SGG if I'm not mistaken.

13. - Top - End - #13

Knights are staples of fantasy fiction. I'm surprised theirs not a quality traditional knight sword fighter class.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Knights are staples of fantasy fiction. I'm surprised theirs not a quality traditional knight sword fighter class.
    I think you're missing what others have been saying: There are many. They're just not all called "knight."
    • You want the swordsman with brilliant weapon mastery and flourish? Warblade.
    • You want the shining warrior with an indomitable spirit who lives to protect others? Crusader.
    • You want the paragon of virtue who rides on a magical beast and wields holy justice? Paladin.
    • You want the honorable warrior whose honor demands that he challenge others to just duels? Knight.
    • You want the loyal swordsman vassal of a great lord? Samurai.
    • You want the trained warrior, master of weapons and armor? Fighter.
    You want me to go on?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Paladins are designed to match the classic "knight" trope.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

you can have any class fluffed/RPed as a knight. they don't even need to be melee brutes.

Iron Chef Medals!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Further to that, the traditional knight is a mounted warrior in armor that is not well represented within the rules of D&D combat.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I think you're missing what others have been saying: There are many. They're just not all called "knight."
    • You want the swordsman with brilliant weapon mastery and flourish? Warlord.
    • You want the shining warrior with an indomitable spirit who lives to protect others? Warder.
    • You want the paragon of virtue who rides on a magical beast and wields holy justice? Paladin.
    • You want the honorable warrior whose honor demands that he challenge others to just duels? Cavalier.
    You want me to go on?
    Fixed that for you, since he's using PF.
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Fixed that for you, since he's using PF.
    Thanks. I got thrown off by the mention in the OP of PHB II.

20. - Top - End - #20

• You want the swordsman with brilliant weapon mastery and flourish? Warblade.
    • You want the shining warrior with an indomitable spirit who lives to protect others? Crusader.
    • You want the honorable warrior whose honor demands that he challenge others to just duels? Knight.
    You want me to go on?
    I get what you're saying. I don't mean to be so annoying.

Just saying it would be nice to have said knight class prepared with all the fluff and what not. I will for sure check out all the stuff you mentioned.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Just saying it would be nice to have said knight class prepared with all the fluff and what not. I will for sure check out all the stuff you mentioned.
    As I said, that's the Paladin, AKA Knight in Shining Armor.

22. - Top - End - #22

Worth mentioning is that the PF Cavalier and Samurai both have archetypes that drop the mounted stuff. I think the Daring Champion archetype is probably better than the Swashbuckler class.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

there's so many takes on what a "Knight" is, and having a one size fits all is against everything that 3.5 (and therefore PF) was vs. 2nd ed, and that was massive customization.
    Last edited by SciChronic; 2014-10-09 at 11:53 AM.
    A single action cannot and should not define a character's alignment. While a single action can have an alignment, a character's alignment is the culmination of all actions taken, and most importantly the purpose and intent for why those actions were taken.
    My Homebrews:
    Alu-Fiend + Lesser Variant[PEACH]
    Benders, Avatar: The Last Airbender Inspired Classes [PEACH]

24. - Top - End - #24

ElfWarriorGuy

Knight 3 (phbII)
    Crusader 17 (tob)

Make sure to take thicket of blades, better with reach (so if you can be large size, that would be better). Now you're a heavy damage, heavy armored juggernaut that people can't get anywhere near without being punished. Combat reflexes also recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fresh and exciting doesn't exist in a game that's almost old enough to drive. Which is why it's extra fun every time someone comes in to say that no, fighters are totally a real character class, because you all missed that one thing or that other one thing and once I saw a fighter beat up a squirrel.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The PHB2 Knight is a bit...meh. Love the concept, but it's abilities are a little limited, and it takes a fair bit of op-fu to make it work well.

[edit] The Knight also has one of the worst skill sets of any base class. In my own games, I'm tempted to give them 4 skill points/level, and throw most of the Aristocrat skills on there as well. [/edit]

I own Legends of Excalibur, so I'll have a read over their Knight again and see how it stacks up...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    The Knight also has one of the worst skill sets of any base class. In my own games, I'm tempted to give them 4 skill points/level, and throw most of the Aristocrat skills on there as well.
    OA Samurai has 4+Int skills and the relevant class skills for a knight. Might copy those, or just use OA samurai, though it is rather meh.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

27. - Top - End - #27

What about the green ronin cavalier? I remember it had an option to not go the mounted warrior route.

Also has anyone checked out the knight in a fistful of denarii adventuring classes for pathfinder? It's a third party supplement.

28. - Top - End - #28

Ok I plan on playing a knight and seeing how it is, I'm going to honestly try to figure this out. Might eventually make a homebrew based on an amalgam of all the classes mentioned. One that's balanced yet powerful and fun to play.

29. - Top - End - #29

I finally sat down and looked through ToB and POW. ToB is 3.5, can it work in pathfinder? Does it require too much customization?

I'm really digging the combat options available in both, would it be useless to make both POW/ToB available for my PCs? Some of my veteran players so both books are horribly imbalanced.

Thoughts?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's been suggested to at least try splicing 3.5 and PF in a single game since the latter first existed. For the ToB, I'd say that the amount of porting you'd need to do is likely limited to translating things like skill lists and mentions of the standard combat maneuvers. If they're not able to keep pace as-is, I'd be VERY surprised.

Tell the grognards to at least try it first. The only lens in which that book can be viewed as overpowered is if you think the standard set by the Fighter is where it should be. Tell them to visit this page, maybe they'll get the idea. The overall placement of things on the tiers list has not changed all that much from 3.5 to PF.

Just as a personal thing though; I'd suggest that you try to nudge your players away from taking multiple base initiator classes. That can bog down the combat almost as quickly as a minionmancer can if not in experienced and knowledgeable hands.