New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default delete

trying to delete
    Last edited by Dakaran; 2015-05-24 at 01:49 PM. Reason: trying to delete
    Print and Play Minis | iheartprintandplay | Retired as of 2018, but my entire public collection of monsters, PCs, NPCs, environment pieces, and other supplements are still freely available (see links in top sticky post)
    Homebrew Projects | Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magic: the Gathering Minimalist Cards - Looking For Feedback

Future Sight (the set) already did the "cost along the left side" for their timeshifted cards, so your design's in good company there. Other critiques:

It is a little odd to have nothing but the mana symbol for the basics next to the titled, arted, and rules-texted Darksteel Citadel. Perhaps if you add a minimalized piece of art behind the mana symbol for the rest? It'd be more interesting, IMO, and wouldn't really clash with the minimalist philosophy and aims of the project.

The victim on Doom Blade's art is positioned oddly, and seems out of proportion with the slash. Similarly, the Pacifism guy appears top-heavy, at least to my mind.

Both Baru and Memnarch seem like odd choices: For all of Memnarch's artifact-ness, he's very much a blue-aligned mage, whereas we know precisely zilch about Baru except that somehow he inherited Kamahl's status as Fist of Krosa. Perhaps Weatherlight-era Karn and, idk, Melira as your green and artifact legends? (EDIT: Didn't realize you picked them from your EDH generals)

Have you considered making ones for the planeswalkers? Jace, Elspeth, and Chandra in particular would be excellent subjects, IMO.

EDIT: Also, things like the inconsistent P/T positioning and text layout really make these ill-suited for card size. However, I'd personally pay money for a poster-sized Cancel, and you could probably get some good money if you sold the designs to, IDK, ThinkGeek.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2014-10-08 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magic: the Gathering Minimalist Cards - Looking For Feedback

I liked the mana costs on the left, personally. It allows one to keep their hand in a more compact spread - handy if you want to cut down on tells. Love the new Doom Blade, am not certain what exactly changed about the Pacifism (Direct comparison seems to indicate you thickened the legs, but it's very subtle if it's there), bit saddened that you didn't add so much as a name to the basic lands (normal lands can get away with naught but a mana symbol because of the full-length art, which a minimalist project such as this must needs eschew). Adding the title and perhaps a watermark suggesting the type of land to each basic would be beneficial, I believe.

EDIT: And now I actually look at the basics and see that you did in fact add the titles. Herp derp.
    Last edited by Landis963; 2014-10-16 at 08:50 PM.