New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Firbolg in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: D&D Next/5e: Mines of Madness - IC

"Worm is gone, let's just run while we can! If we run now we can come back later. If we die now we're stuck here forever!"

Rushing back, the gnome unleashed a bolt of electricity upon the Lich to try and make it so his allies could escape, before jumping back past the door frame.

Spoiler
    Show

Shocking Grasp: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (1d8)[2], (1d8)[3] extra on crit.
    Can't take Reactions for one round.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland - Human Rogue

"He's right," Roland said. "Let's get out of here." He draws his short sword as he chases after Biggles, taking a swipe at the undead thing as he rushes past.

Spoiler
    Show

Bonus action
    Disengage

Move
    Move past undead

Action
    Attack A as move past
    Attack - (1d20+7)[12]
    Damage - (1d6+5)[7] + Sneak attack - (2d6)[10]
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragul seeing everyone run, and now a dragon, he doesn't know what to do. He is not leaving this chamber alive. "I came here for the Forever Stone, and I'm not leaving without it." He stops and takes a knee. He stares at the dragon and the lich.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dragul delays his action. If he gets attacked he retaliates.

Attack whoever strikes him
    (1d20+7)[26]
    (1d8+5)[10]

Crit
    (2d8)[5]

Sweeping Attack if successful
    (1d8)[3]

4. - Top - End - #694
    Bugbear in the Playground

Abracadamus pauses as Dragul drops to a knee, unsure how to react the old mage lets down his clawed hands not wanting to attack a defenseless target. He holds up a hand to the dragon bidding it to wait while he frowns down at Dragul and Osrik. Dwarves! Rolling his eyes he lets out a loud sigh, "It's gone. I whooshed it away when your friend decided i looked like firewood."

He looks at Dragul and Osrik a moment more, "You two may well have been worthy," he leans to the side looking to Roland and shooting a glare at Biggles, "That one however, i think not. Come with me a moment," he says to Osrik and Dragul as if he doesn't expect any argument.

He then snaps his finger and Dragul, Osrik, the dragon, Verdigris, and the mage himself shine white for a second and then vanish.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    *If* you want to resist the teleport, roll a CON check DC14.
    If not let me know in the OOC thread or post something IC
    Last edited by Foodle; 2015-02-16 at 06:41 PM.
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Roland - Human Rogue

Roland stares at the space where the dragon and lich were, as well as his friends. "Ugh. Well, there goes my plan to lure the dragon into the path of the worm and see what happens. I suspect it would have been awesome, which is good, as it probably would have been the last thing I ever saw."

He puts away his sword and rolls his shoulders. "So what should we unworthy ones do? You think we might be able to find our way into that treasure room?"
    Donald S. Crankshaw
    Blog: Back of the Envelope

6. - Top - End - #696

RedKnightGirl

"...wait, I'm unworthy for trying to save my idiot friends life?!" Biggles shouts. "In Nerulls name what did they EXPECT me to do?! Let him die?! Dance a jig to distract them all?! Oh no, the wizard who took two claws to the face for his dumb a** friend who jumped in front of the spell designed to save his life is COMPLETELY UNWORTHY! WHY WOULD IT BE ANY OTHER WAY?!"

Taking a deep breath, Biggles sits down. "Sure, it's probably tapped to the Hells and back but you can go for it. If you give me some time I can at least check if there are any magical traps in there."

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Detect Magic as a ritual.

7. - Top - End - #697

The four figures vanish leaving Roland and Biggles alone in the mines, Roland's able to find the hidden door again easily enough due to the foot prints they had left in the thin layer of dust that covered the floor when Abracadamus opened it previously and Biggles starts his ritual. The hidden doors, all three of them, one to the west, east and south, all radiate strong abjuration magic. Roland pokes and prods but sadly there doesn't seem to be any way to open them.

"Argh! My eyes! Blasted light!" Osrik and Dragul hear Abracadamus' shrill voice behind them as they suddenly find themselves bathed in sunlight and outside once again and on the hillside near the sinkhole where the outhouse used to be. The green dragon can been seen diving from the air into the forest and a dull crash and roar can be heard.

"As i was saying," the old mage says shading his eyes. "I had a contingency in place should my life be threatened. The stone is long gone, which is a shame as i'm overdue to meet death. Now i can't just magic you away to the stone, that would be cheating. But!" he exclaims reaching into his robe and pulling out a sealed crystalline scroll tube which he holds out to Osrik. "If you have the stones..." he pauses letting out a small snicker, "and the wits. You can find it here."

The dragon comes lumbering back from the forest further downhill, mouth covered in blood form a fresh kill and starts cleaning itself while waiting for the mage. "Well time to be off. Nothing left for me here. Things to do, plants to water etc. etc." he says waving farewell offhandedly as he walks down towards the dragon and climbs awkwardly onto it's back. "I leave you with a question: Which is faster, a griffon heading to a rodeo or a hippogriff with its tail on fire? Hya!" he says thumping the dragons's sides ineffectually with his heels. Verdigris ignores him for a moment as he finishes cleaning his claws, then leaps into the air and flies off northward.

Below ground in the throne room with Biggles and Roland, all three secret doors lose their magical glow and slide open, sinking into the ground.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

"That is an easy question, the one with the bigger dragon chasing them is faster," Dragul answers as the wizard flies off. "Well poo. That was a waste of a few days. I got turned into a coins for nothing."

9. - Top - End - #699

RedKnightGirl

"Screw it. The doors are opened. Search for traps then let's grab everything we can and get out of here. Hopefully the others are still alive," Biggles mutters, deciding to follow his own advice.

Spoiler
    Show

Investigation: (1d20+5)[21]

If it comes up clean, Biggles will grab what he can and do what he just said.

10. - Top - End - #700

Biggles finds no traps, the horn resting in the treasure room emits a magical aura, so too do nine small cat statues inside one of the chests. To take all of it would require a return trip or two.

Spoiler: Treasure
    Show
    In the Room
    Ten casks of fine dwarven mead (worth 50 gp each)
    A magical horn, stuffed with 100 tiny, cut krimsonite gems worth 1 gp each
    15,000 cp
    5,000 sp

Chest 1
    • Nine silver cat statuettes. Each one is uniquely posed and radiating magic.

Chest 2
    • 500gp

Chest 3
    • Two potions of healing
    • A potion of heroism
    • A potion of water breathing
    All of which are a murky grey colour.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

11. - Top - End - #701

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Okay they do that. Should we RP them meeting up with Dragul and Osrik at the mouth of the mines, or should we assume information is exchanged and all the loot is brought back to the inn over the course of a week or so?

Also, Artificer to identitfy the magic items: (1d20+9)[27]

12. - Top - End - #702

Biggles and Roland grab what that can and head out, only to find the door leading out of the sacrificial altar room to be still stuck shut. Remembering the hole leading upwards in one of the alcoves around the worm's tunnels they risk it and with Roland climbing ahead and lowering a rope for Biggles, they emerge through the hole in the ground where the outhouse used to be to find Osrik and Dragul debating whether to walk back through the mines or try that same chute.

Over the next few days the group makes a couple of trips to and from the inn to collect the rest of the treasure left below. A new tunnel has been burrowed out heading deeper underground and the purple worm is missing on the second trip back, but there are signs of it again on your last trip.

Back at the Inn you're able to relax and recover from the past few days and count out your little hoard of treasure.

Spoiler: Magic Items
    Show
    You just need to spend a short rest holding/playing with an item to discern it's abilities. then another to attune to it, if it requires attunement.

Either way...
    Horn of Blasting
    You can use an action to speak the horn's command word (Jaggershield!) and then blow the horn, which emits a thunderous blast in a 30-foot cone that is audible 600 feet away.
    Each creature in the cone must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 5d6 thunder damage and is deafened for 1 minute.
    On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage and isn't deafened. Creatures and objects made of glass or crystal have disadvantage on the saving throw and take 10d6 thunder damage instead of 5d6.
    Each use of the horn's magic has a 20 percent chance of causing the horn to explode. The explosion deals 10d6 fire damage to the blower and destroys the horn.

Cat Statuette x9
    A character carrying a cat statuette can turn one failed death save into a success. Each statuette is a single-use wondrous item that disappears once its magic is spent.

Murky Potions (2x Healing, 1x Heroism, 1x Waterbreathing)
    These function as normal, except each time one of these potions is imbibed, there’s a 1-in-6 chance that the imbiber is turned to stone for 1 hour.

Golden Chainmail
    +1 suit of chainmail, worth twice as much as a standard +1 suit of chainmail.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2015-02-17 at 07:16 PM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map