New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Looking for Trip Magic items.

Hello everyone, i need some help looking for some trip magic items. I'm making a bull rush warpriest and I'm using the feat squash flat to get a free trip with every bull rush. so I"m looking for some items to boost this, i have a list of items that will help my bull rush, but nothing other then the +STR helps trip.
    Last edited by Drackstin; 2014-10-09 at 07:01 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Looking for Trip Magic items.

Theres a weapon enhancement called Sweeping in the Magic Item Compendium which gives a bonus on Trip attacks.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

Sorry but im only looking for pathfinder items or enchantments, I'm using it for a pathfinder society game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Trip is one of those handy maneuvers that is performed with your weapon, thus anything that boosts your weapon's to-hit will boost your CMB to trip. This includes things like the weapon's enhancement bonus, your free Weapon Focus feat, Bless,/Prayer, War Blessing, Divine Favor etc. Any items that boost your attack will help too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

that's very awesome to know, since i was having a very hard time finding things that added to trip other then feats. and most times that add to bull rush cant be applied to trip.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Drackstin View Post
    Sorry but im only looking for pathfinder items or enchantments, I'm using it for a pathfinder society game.
    Ah, ok. I didn't see a Pathfinder tag, so I just assumed this was for 3.x.
    Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.
    - G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Are you some sort of Wizard?
    This is Æl-Ceald, an ice-age fantasy campaign setting. Updated!

7. - Top - End - #7

that's very awesome to know, since i was having a very hard time finding things that added to trip other then feats. and most times that add to bull rush cant be applied to trip.
    Note that a lot of those will boost your bull rush too (e.g. Divine Favor.)

Basically it goes:

- Boosts attack rolls: affects all combat maneuvers.
    - Boosts weapon attack rolls: affects Trip.

Also note that anything that lowers an enemy's CMD will boost both of them too. For example, if you somehow had Ray of Enfeeblement or Ray of Exhaustion, they could be used to boost both maneuvers.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

well here is a question, if im attacking a sleeping target, to they have a CMD?

9. - Top - End - #9

well here is a question, if im attacking a sleeping target, to they have a CMD?
    Yes, but it is generally much lower because they are helpless (and thus lose their Dex and dodge bonuses), plus sleeping/helpless characters also generally get the bonus to be hit due to being prone (+4) which will apply to your bull rush. (If they're already prone then it tends to be irrelevant for tripping.)

Helpless

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent's mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (–5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target).
    But other factors to CMD still apply, like strength. Think of it this way - a very large and strong creature is just has hard to push whether it is asleep or not. A sleeping dragon or tarrasque does not become as light as a feather simply because it is asleep, thus it is still very hard to push anywhere. Similarly, other AC benefits that apply to CMD, like deflection or sacred, will still apply. If the gods are protecting you they will continue to do so for as long as that effect lasts whether you are asleep or not, and if there is a force bubble ablating attempts to move you that will continue to exist etc.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Trip is one of those handy maneuvers that is performed with your weapon, thus anything that boosts your weapon's to-hit will boost your CMB to trip. This includes things like the weapon's enhancement bonus, your free Weapon Focus feat, Bless,/Prayer, War Blessing, Divine Favor etc. Any items that boost your attack will help too.
    I had been under the assumption that this was only true for weapons with the trip property. Turns out that FAQ has been... FAQ'd away. Awesome, thanks for pointing this out.

11. - Top - End - #11

Yep - all the trip property does is point out weapons that don't cause you to get knocked prone if you tank the check.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12

PaladinGuy

ok well let me get all my facts together. ill use my base char at level 7 when i would have all the feats to use this technique, no gear modifies though. i would only have 1 attack, barbarian 2/warpriest 5, feats are Power Attack, Furious Focus, Improved bull rush, Merciless rush, Spiked Destroyer, Squash Flat. ill also not use spells for this because I'm just worried about stacking atm. STR is base 18, BAB is +5.

Start off, rage, STR is 22, charge + bull rush, i would have a CMB of +5 BAB +6 STR +2 Charge, +2 Imp bull rush. so thats a +15, if i win i would deal 6 damage from Merciless rush and get a free attack with my spike armor for a 1d6+8 from spike destroyer and power attack, not sure if furious focus kicks in or not, since its the first attack this round. i also get a free trip for +11, since i think the charge bonus only counts for the bull rush. if i win i get an AoO at +4, could i then use my knockback rage power to make a 2nd bull rush at a +17 (+4 for it being prone) that if i win i can do 12 damage from kockback and Merciless rush, and get another spike armor attack at 1d6+8?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The belt of superior maneuvers seems great for you.

The Brawling special property can help, depending on your weapon choice.

Edit: Gauntlets of the Skilled Maneuver could help. It's an untyped bonus, but it's only one type of combat maneuver.

If you ever find yourself needing to waste 15,600gp, you could get a Pelt of the Beast for a +2 competence bonus to trip checks.
    Last edited by Novawurmson; 2014-10-09 at 12:14 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class is in its Tier
    PF Optimization Guides Compendium | Extended Signature (Optimization/Conversion/Homebrew)

Quote Originally Posted by CTrees View Post
    Knowledge (local) being trained only, and not a class skill for many classes, means that your average human may well not be able to identify other humans! This may explain the exceptional quantity of half-human hybrids.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novawurmson View Post
    The belt of superior maneuvers seems great for you.

The Brawling special property can help, depending on your weapon choice.

Edit: Gauntlets of the Skilled Maneuver could help. It's an untyped bonus, but it's only one type of combat maneuver.

If you ever find yourself needing to waste 15,600gp, you could get a Pelt of the Beast for a +2 competence bonus to trip checks.
    the belt looks awesome, i might have to get one of those, but i wonder if a DM would disallow it due to me in full plate.
    i already have the gloves ready for bull rush and shoulders for the +2 bull rush with roll twice keep the higher roll. and im taking impact on my weapon for bull rush, I'm using a nadachi.

15. - Top - End - #15

Note that the belt is an enhancement bonus and so will not stack with the bonus on your weapon. But it will apply to both bull rush and trip.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Note that the belt is an enhancement bonus and so will not stack with the bonus on your weapon. But it will apply to both bull rush and trip.
    oh good ketch, so it would only work on bull rush if i have a +1 weapon. well that's good to know. since i can enhance my weapon with my sacred weapon ability, it might be worth it to get it and save the money on weapon enchantments. but i would need to do some math on it. if not its still a little boost to bull rush

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Dusty Rose Prism + Wayfinder = +2 insight bonus to CMB and CMD

The +1 Dueling property from Pathfinder Society Field Guide gives a luck bonus to trip, disarm and dirty tricks equal to 2x the enhancement bonus of the weapon.

18. - Top - End - #18

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by VexingFool View Post
    Dusty Rose Prism + Wayfinder = +2 insight bonus to CMB and CMD

The +1 Dueling property from Pathfinder Society Field Guide gives a luck bonus to trip, disarm and dirty tricks equal to 2x the enhancement bonus of the weapon.
    i think your talking about the brown thorny ioun stone, and that's only +2 to CMB, i also don't need the wayfinder but it helps, dusty rose adds +1 AC. and i might not have room for dueling but its a good find

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Did ring of the ram make it to PF? Because you should be able to use it to trigger Squash Flat from range.

20. - Top - End - #20

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Did ring of the ram make it to PF? Because you should be able to use it to trigger Squash Flat from range.
    i think it did, i was reading about it yesterday. ill look into it to see it it can trigger the trip. also i just read up on the wayfinder, so if i just get the thorny i get +2 to CMB for 8k, if i get the dusty rose and wayfinder i get +1 ac, +2 CMB and CMD for 5500, not bad at all.