New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Wizard Battlefield Control that doesn't disrupt ranged spells?

So, during my last session of a campaign I recently joined, I finally got to use a third level spell slot. I cast Stinking Cloud, and... then the argument broke out. While it didn't turn out bad in the end (I kept three kobold barbarians from doing anything but vomiting for 4 turns, and they were kind enough to walk towards us), the druid got... rather tetchy that I'd obscured line of sight for even one round. And, she's got a point. While I do think she overreacted, I am playing a Battle Field control Conjurer in a party with a blaster wizard, an Archer rogue, and the aforementioned druid (our frontline fighter, although she hasn't wildshaped yet and with 12 strength she isn't very accurate outside of it).

So, does anyone know any good battlefield control spells I can use that won't give enemies cover or concealment like web or stinking cloud would? I know glitterdust and grease will work, but what about other spells? I'd prefer core spells, since the GM has asked I try to stick to core since some of the party has expressed concernss (After last night I suspect the Druid, but I'm not going to bring that up) about my use of splatbooks, but if I talk to the party about why I want them, I think I can get approval on sparing uses of non-core spells (For the record, I banned Evocation and Enchantment, so those are out)
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-10-09 at 09:45 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Battlefield Control that doesn't disrupt ranged spells?

3.5 or PF? What class are you?

There's plenty of control that doesn't interfere with allied ranged attacks. Glitterdust, Web, Grease, Black Tentacles, Color Spray, Sleep/Deep Slumber...

EDIT: Scratch that last one since you banned enchantment but the rest should be accessible and those are only core. If you go out to splats (for both systems) there are even more options.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2014-10-09 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Battlefield Control that doesn't disrupt ranged spells?

The summon monster line is always decent at this. Summon a handful of luchadors good grapplers for bonus points.

Various items combined with unseen servant can control the battlefield. Shax has some hints on using it well.

Color spray works to a degree.

The ____ image spells also work if you're not actively in combat already.

Enlarge person makes your frontline druid bigger so they can block more squares and threaten in a wider area. Less effective without Combat Reflexes or against hordes.

These are all pretty low-level ways to do it that don't obscure sight (although enlarge person/summon monster might give soft cover in thinner passageways).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Wizard Battlefield Control that doesn't disrupt ranged spells?

Black tentacles is always a favorite.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Whoops, forgot to mention I was a 5th level wizard. Web doesn't work though unless I'm really careful where I space it, since the webbing provides cover.

EDIT: Black Tentacles is definately on my list of spells to learn when I hit 7th level, but it's off the table for now. I hadn't considered enlarge person since I expected the druid to wild shape, but as long as she isn't it does give her reach, and while it won't help her hit, she will hit harder when she connects.

I've been trying to avoid summons since combat takes long enough as it is, but I suppose they are an option. I do have Celestial Black Bear and Dire badger minis, so that could be fun, although the druid might get badger envy since she dotes on her badger animal companion.
    Last edited by Squark; 2014-10-09 at 10:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Scare. Slow. Summon Swarm.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    EDIT: Black Tentacles is definately on my list of spells to learn when I hit 7th level, but it's off the table for now. I hadn't considered enlarge person since I expected the druid to wild shape, but as long as she isn't it does give her reach, and while it won't help her hit, she will hit harder when she connects.
    Enlarge Person will work on the druid when she is wild shaped as well, because she retains her type (Humanoid).
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Enlarge Person will work on the druid when she is wild shaped as well, because she retains her type (Humanoid).
    Right! They changed polymorph effects.

Well, Definately preparing a few castings of that, then.

Thanks everyone, definately got a few spells to add to my spellbook next time we hit town. Which might be a while, but I think I can figure out ways to make things work until then.

9. - Top - End - #9

As you noted above, Web only provides cover if you don't place it properly. But part of being a controller is doing exactly that, placing your effects properly, and Web is a very good control spell.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, just to be clear, if I put my enemies at the edge of a web spell, they don't get cover, correct?

And hey, blaster wizard can always fireball them and burn the web away If something tries to hide in it.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So, just to be clear, if I put my enemies at the edge of a web spell, they don't get cover, correct?

And hey, blaster wizard can always fireball them and burn the web away If something tries to hide in it.
    Correct on both counts.

There's also the lower-level spell Web Bolt that will web one person without giving them cover. Also Mudball.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squark
    So, does anyone know any good battlefield control spells I can use that won't give enemies cover or concealment like web or stinking cloud would? I know glitterdust and grease will work, but what about other spells? I'd prefer core spells, since the GM has asked I try to stick to core since some of the party has expressed concernss (After last night I suspect the Druid, but I'm not going to bring that up) about my use of splatbooks, but if I talk to the party about why I want them, I think I can get approval on sparing uses of non-core spells (For the record, I banned Evocation and Enchantment, so those are out)
    Yeah, I tend to avoid cloud spells like the plague for exactly the Friendly Fire potential (plus the wind moves them, so it might just drift into your party instead).

Left out web and black tentacles (web gives cover, tentacles run afoul of shooting into a melee). I only went up to 4th because you mentioned it was the first time you got to use a 3rd level spell.

PHB spells:
    Color Spray (15' cone) - 1st lvl Illus
    Cause Fear (single target) - 1st lvl Necro
    Hypnotic Pattern (10' radius spread) - 2nd lvl Illus
    Blindness/Deafness (single target) - 2nd lvl Necro
    Scare (multiple targets) - 2nd lvl Necro
    Pyrotechnics (First use, 120') - 2nd lvl Trans
    Magic Circle (vs summons) - 3rd lvl Abjur
    Slow (targets) - 3rd lvl Transmutation
    Rainbow Pattern (20' radius) - 4th lvl Illus
    Fear (cone) - 4th lvl Necro

PHBII: