New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Advice on becoming a Lich

As the title say, wondering if anyone has advice on how my next character to become a Lich. I planned on starting him off as a simple wizard those to trick the rest of my group. I already spoke with my DM and he is perfectly fine with it. I just looking for any help to easy or better the character. I kind of want some with High Int and Cha (The cha to be able to bluff every one with ease) Also please no Pun-Pun method stuff cause I already know about that and im not trying to break the game just come up with a good idea on how to do it. Also to note I also plan to become a DemiLich after being the Lich. (Also its 3.5 )

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Advice on becoming a Lich

Can you tell us, at what level this is going on at? Also I'm not quite sure what specifically you're looking for. Just having the right item creation feat and creating the needed phylactory is enough. So is CL 11. Demi Lich is more of a problem, you need to be level 21 have the right epic item creation feat, especially because its a LA +8 or your CR increases by 8 (cant remember).

Anyways... I would not suggest demi-lich. Your abilities go crazy poor other party members.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

We start at level 6. And im just looking for anything to help my be a better Lich

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well liches basically have 4 abilities worth noting:
    Undead
    True Immortality (Phylactery)
    Paralyzing Touch
    Immunity to Cold and Negative Energy

To make full use of this you will want spellcasting(prerequisite) and a respectable attack modifier(for the Paralyzing Touch). So I would suggest making a spellcasting heavy gish. If you can get average BAB without losing caster levels, that would be ideal.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2014-10-09 at 02:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You need money, a fair bit as I recall, for the crafting. You need caster level 11, which isn't an issue. You need the time and space to do the crafting, which totally depends on your DM and campaign. And you probably shouldn't be good aligned.

So, over the next five levels you need the money and space to make your trinket. Time can possibly be negated by using a Dedicated Wright to do the crafting. After that your issues are that you ping evil and undead detectors, Nondetection and a Hat of Disguise ought to cover most of that untill True Seeing starts to come online.

You'll want a way to heal yourself, don't rely on others as they may not recognize you as undead and yry to cast cure spells on you.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Starting at level 6? Does that mean you have 6 class levels or are ECL 6? Because in the second case, prepare to drop into the negatives the moment a level-appropriate monster gets in a single hit and then die as your well-meaning party kills you with a Cure Light Wounds.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

A new Junkyard Wars round is up! Come join Weapon Bond + Weapon Specialization - Fighter!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7

Griffon

Remember to become a lich the minimum CL is 11. But I would just focus on really a lot of necromancy or just nasty abilities. Go through Heroes of Horror and LIbris Mortis... they are great books for undead.

8. - Top - End - #8

OldWizardGuy

Two things I can think that make being Lich easier. Savage Progress or Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm if you don't mind being Divine Based Dry Lich. Savage Progression means that you don't get dumped 4 levels of adjustment and temporarily outshine rest of the party. Dry Lich isn't automatically Evil, but it is non good.

There's also Grim Psion PrC for Psionic Characters from Wizard's website. Since they nuked all D&D stuff from 3.5 it's floating around in archive somewhere.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Two things I can think that make being Lich easier. Savage Progress or Walker in the Waste from Sandstorm if you don't mind being Divine Based Dry Lich. Savage Progression means that you don't get dumped 4 levels of adjustment and temporarily outshine rest of the party. Dry Lich isn't automatically Evil, but it is non good.

There's also Grim Psion PrC for Psionic Characters from Wizard's website. Since they nuked all D&D stuff from 3.5 it's floating around in archive somewhere.
    The hunt is on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

The problem with Dry Lich is that (IIRC) they are created through a ceremony which requires another Dry Lich, which might take some effort to find...

If you can find a link or URL for the 3.5 content, you could try the wayback machine on archive.org?

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

Oh, Wizards actually keep their archives. Grim Psion (old links don't work, new links have the "archive" prefix). It doesn't actually mention the word "Lich" in it, I just assumed it to be one due to it's 10th level cap power. Furthermore, it's 3.0, very late so. That means it's sort of bugged. You become Undeath at 1st class level, and then start to increasing your hit die towards d12.
    Last edited by darksolitaire; 2014-10-14 at 04:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a Hat of Disguise is sufficient. At best, you can look like another undead because you can't change your type with Disguise Self.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a Hat of Disguise is sufficient. At best, you can look like another undead because you can't change your type with Disguise Self.
    So look like a Vampire, put on some fake tan and some contacts.

Alternately, could you not simply preserve your body with gentle repose and use mending to close any wounds that occur?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)