New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default The Road to Omniscience

Greetings, Playground.

In an upcoming campaign, I intend on playing an Int-based caster (most likely) whose ultimate goal is to obtain the most knowledge of well... everything, in the universe! I was thinking of making it a psion, mainly for the thematic powers (Mind Probe comes to mind... hah). So, the base for this character is maximizing Intelligence by anyway possible and maximizing Knowledge skill checks.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: The Road to Omniscience

have you considered factotum?

they are not as good at casting as a wizard but no one else (bar the omncificer or the like ) can match there ability to know everything.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=2720.0 factotum

http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/1481596 omnicificer (highly TO)
    Last edited by captain fubar; 2014-10-10 at 03:09 AM. Reason: adding a link

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Typically, infinite loops are not something you'll likely get to use in a practical sense.

If you can convince a DM to allow you to use Pathfinder's version of Bardic Knowledge/Lore (where you gain a bonus on all Knowledge checks equal to 1/2 your class level)...
    ...then you could try Wizard (or Filidh from Dragon 324 pg 90) into PrCs like Paragnostic Apostle and Loremaster along with anything else advancing that class feature.

Couple that with a race that gains a bonus to Intelligence and that might give you a good start.
    Last edited by Andion Isurand; 2014-10-10 at 03:49 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually play an omnicificer only that it was an interesting bit of theoretical optimization in an area reverent to this topic. I imagine there are very few DMs that would allow a infinite damage loop to power all your skills then be negated by drown healing.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

For psions a good start is to be human (you want those skill points) and start working on your skills. Max intelligence and play a seer (?). Of course pick call to mind for one of your first powers and you have a solid start. Very easy to build too.

and don't forget that your psi crystal can also roll for all your knowledge checks and with shared call to mind twice. The checks won't be very high (low int and all) but I take 2 extra rolls any time of the day.