New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

MonkGuy

Default Re: The Quest of the Empyreal Knight

Xanesha Evermask casts haste on everyone.

Mummy starts 200 feet away. As of now, the mummy does not seem to notice the group or the spellcasting.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Justin runs forward (assuming he has a straight line), covering 120 feet in one round of movement. He brandishes his sword and yells loudly. "Come here, undead monster! I've got plenty of flesh for you to taint! Stand and fight for your unlife!"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

MonkGuy

Round 1

Spoiler: Mummy initiative
    Show

(1d20+2)[17]

Mummy turns at the sound of your challenge, and does a double move of 40 feet towards you.

Thon Fielderson moves with you, on your right.

Vekkel Bensen moves along with you, but keeps back 10 feet and only moves 110 feet closer

Xanesha Evermask moves only 60 feet forward and casts a spell on herself.

At the end of the round Justin and Thon are just 20 feet from the mummy. Vekkel is 30 feet away. Xanesha is back 100 feet away from the mummy.

The despair from the mummy is in range of Thon and Vekkel (Justin is immune).
    Spoiler: Saves
    Show

Thon (1d20+5)[15] (+4 from Justin)
    Vekkel (1d20+5)[20] '' '' ''

Vekkel throws off the fear.....but Thon is effected.
    Last edited by jedipotter; 2014-10-17 at 11:59 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Spoiler
    Show

Isn't Thon a fighter? The Bravery class feature should help him out with that saving throw.

"Give no quarter!" Justin yells, glaring at the monster. "Now, Helm, give me the power to send this creature back to the Nine Hells where it belongs!"

Filling himself with divine power, Justin moves forward and swings his blade in both hands, determined to slice the monster in two.

Spoiler
    Show

Justin uses his Smite Evil ability, giving him a +4 bonus to his AC against the mummy's attacks. He moves up 20' and attacks the mummy.

(1d20+13)[21] (Power Attack)
    Damage: (1d10+23)[32]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Thon
    Show
    Thon has the Cad Archtype, so no bravery....he is the shady non-guard that gets things done normal guards don't do...

Justin's swing misses the mummy by a couple inches.

6. - Top - End - #66

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, so then it's Vekkel and Xanesha's turns right? And can you roll 1d4 to see how many rounds Thon is panicked for?

Unless you want me to control Vekkel and Xanesha, which would be hard without character sheets :(

7. - Top - End - #67
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Thon's roll
    Show
    (1d4)[4]

Vekkel Bensen moves 30 feet towards the mummy, and moves over to the other side.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+6)[10] (1d6+1)[5] + (3d8)[13]

Xanesha Evermask moves 60 feet closer, and cast a spell........
    Spoiler: Mummy save
    Show
    [roll1d20+7

Mummy Attacks! swings a huge, wrapped fist at Justin!
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    [roll]1d20+8

8. - Top - End - #68
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: Rerolls
    Show

Save: (1d20+4)[7]

Attack: (1d20+8)[13]

The mummy's flesh twists and warps opening nice easy to reach weak spots, just ready to be hit...

The mummy's fist misses Justin.

Vekkel Bensen misses with his short sword....

Round 2
    Last edited by jedipotter; 2014-10-18 at 10:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

"Foul beast! I'll cut you down right now!" Justin declares, shifting his position before slamming his blade deep into the creature's side.

Spoiler
    Show

Justin will attempt to reposition so that he is flanking with Vekkel. Preferrably with a 5' step, since both he and Vekkel are adjacent to the creature, but if not he will take a move action and provoke an AoO. With 40' move speed, he should be able to step around and create a flanking position.

Attack: (1d20+15)[34]
    Damage: (1d10+23)[28]

Second attack (If he can flank with a 5' step)
    Attack: (1d20+10)[30]
    Damage: (1d10+17)[19]

10. - Top - End - #70

Spoiler
    Show

That is...a natural 19 and a natural 20.

The bastard sword threatens a critical on 19-20. So, here are my confirmation rolls:
    First attack: (1d20+15)[25]
    Second attack: (1d20+10)[29]

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Both attacks hit and are critical...

Lots of stuff(Pathfinder has soooo much stuff):

1.You get the levelx2 damage on your first successful smite attack
    2.Your forgetting your hasted +30 speed, +1 to hit, +1 one extra attack
    3.You forgot to state you were Smiting again, you should always state a game action
    4.You don't need to move or take any action so Vekkel can flank. He is already on the other side of the mummy. Only one character can flank, and he has the sneak attack...

5.How is your move 40?

12. - Top - End - #72

Spoiler
    Show

1. I took that into account, that's why my damage roll has +23 for the first attack and +17 for the second attack. Additionally, all three of my attacks ignore any Damage Reduction my targets may possess (including DR/- and DR/Epic)

2. The haste spell in Pathfinder only grants movement speed up to the base speed of the creature. So I only get +20' from it. I did forget my third attack though, let me go ahead and roll that one:

(1d20+14)[30]
    (1d10+17)[19]

3. In Pathfinder, a single Smite lasts until a creature dies or until the paladin rests for 8 hours. If you want me to restate that every round, fine, but it seems unnecessary.

4. Okay, sounds good. I wasn't aware we were already flanking.

My move speed is 20' base, and I get +20' from the haste spell, not +30'

Edit: 3rd attack is a hit, but not a crit, so that's double damage on the first two for 56+38+19 for a total of 113 beast mode damage. Can I make a Diplomacy check to see if Xanesha swoons at how freakin manly I am right now?
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2014-10-19 at 04:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Banned

MonkGuy

Show

1.How does all your damage avoid DR?

2.Haste gives an increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement. So normal 30. +30 = 60. 60 equals ''up to twice 30''.

3.It's just helpful to keep track of things.

Sure....lol

Your sword, blazing with the power of Helm, goes right through the head of the mummy...and continues right through the body. Cutting the mummy in half and having two half chunks of mummy fall to the ground.

14. - Top - End - #74

Spoiler
    Show

Core Rulebook p61, and the d20pfsrd:
    Once per day, a paladin can call out to the powers of good to aid her in her struggle against evil. As a swift action, the paladin chooses one target within sight to smite. If this target is evil, the paladin adds her Cha bonus (if any) to her attack rolls and adds her paladin level to all damage rolls made against the target of her smite. If the target of smite evil is an outsider with the evil subtype, an evil-aligned dragon, or an undead creature, the bonus to damage on the first successful attack increases to 2 points of damage per level the paladin possesses. Regardless of the target, smite evil attacks automatically bypass any DR the creature might possess.

Emphasis mine.

Yes, but since my movement speed is reduced to 20' with heavy armor I assumed that meant my maximum move speed was 40'. If you want to say it's +30 for 50', then I'll of course follow that interpretation.

Aw yeah. This is why I love paladins:
    Diplomacy for manliness: (1d20+17)[31]

Justin steps back and sheathes his blade. "May your spirit find eternal rest in the afterlife. I promise, I will find the monster that defiled your corpse so and end him the same way."

Justin walks over to Thon and places a hand on his shoulder. "It's quite alright my friend. You have nothing to fear now."

After calming Thon down, Justin will search the rotting creature's body for any signs of who the creature was in life, or anything else that might be of interest.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Banned

MonkGuy

Spoiler: OOc
    Show

1.Ah...well it's not like the DR helped with +100 damage...lol
    2.Oh heavy armor...I missed that

Thon Fielderson "I'm ok, it was just when I saw the mummy i felt such great fear I could not move. I feel fine now."

Xanesha Evermask "Well, my fleshtwist sure worked on the mummy. I was not sure it would work, but guess it had enough flesh. And...you Justin...you..you..were amazing!"

The mummy body is humanoid, but it's quite old and mummified. There is a lot of reddish hair all over the body. The head looks a bit short and has a bit of a longer jaw. The eye sockets are more oval shaped. It would seem that the mummy is not human, though it's race is not clear.

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe not here, but liches have DR 15, so if we encounter one earlier than level 11, it'll be important for me to get every last piece of damage I can on it!

Justin nods. "There is a great darkness and evil in these ruins, no doubt about that. We'll need to be careful as we advance. For now, let's take a moment to rest and gather our thoughts before we head on. Vekkel, are you alright?"

Justin raises an eyebrow at Xanesha's praise, his face turning bright red as he quickly coughs and tries to keep his composure. "Oh, really? I mean, I was just doing my job as an empyreal knight, my lady. Any undead we encounter in this crypt will be put to rest by my blade, you can be sure of that."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Banned

MonkGuy

Vekkel Bensen "I'm fine."

Xanesha Evermask "I really like a man with power, and I never thought you had that kind of power."

Thon Fielderson "Too bad we can't question it or anything.''

18. - Top - End - #78

Vekkel and Thon's words fall on deaf ears. "Oh crap. She 'likes' a man like me? Oh man, what do I do here? I'm a paladin, not a knight, I never received any training on how to court a lady properly! I don't know how to write poetry or sing ballads or anything like that! Damn...what would Thon or Vekkel do in this situation?"

Justin pulls out his most winning smile. "Well, my lady, if you're still impressed after we finish in the crypt, perhaps you'd allow me a few extra hours to buy you a drink and get to know you better?"

Justin will apologize to the group before slowly digging some dirt out of a nearby clearing so he can properly bury the mummy. He says a short prayer to Helm asking for lenience with the deceased's soul, and then organizes his group together. "Let's go. Treasure and one doomed necromancer await us."

Justin will lead the way towards the marked spot on his map, looking for any other signs of undead as he marches.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy to ask Xanesha out: (1d20+17)[26]
    Perception while walking: (1d20)[3]

19. - Top - End - #79
    Banned

MonkGuy

Xanesha Evermask "Well...maybe. Lets see." she says slyly.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Wow...what a perception roll...lol. So you ask her out and then like immediately walk into a tree. But I think that would fit with ''awkward with women''.

Thon Fielderson "Think it would be worth trying to figure out where it was going, or you set on getting to the crypt?"

20. - Top - End - #80

Spoiler
    Show

Lol, my character is charming, he's not very intuitive.

"Where it was going...oh, you mean the ruins? Hm. I wonder..." Justin says, glancing over in the direction the mummy was heading. "A mummy has meager intelligence, but only enough to understand the significance of its burial ground. It's not a vampire or a lich. If the mummy was heading somewhere, it's likely because that's what its creator told it to do. We may be walking into a trap, but...yes, let's go."

Justin carefully continues in the direction the mummy was heading, making sure to keep his eyes peeled for any trees that may be three inches in front of him.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

MonkGuy

The group moves on for a couple of hours across the rocky land. There is the occasional block of stone or rusted piece of metal, but not much along the way of ruins.

Until a bit past mid afternoon, when a flock of blue birds fly over head and circle the group several times. Then three of the birds fly off to the north, while the other ten fly over head in a circle.

A couple minutes after that, a hairy humanoid with think legs comes into view about 100 feet away from around a large rock. "Hail there travelers! Be you of the freindly sort? Good Crow-Mere-Eins?"

22. - Top - End - #82

Justin bows. "Hail! I am Justin Navidelle, a paladin of Helm. My party and I have come to investigate these ruins, as we intercepted a foul beast of undeath on its way here. We suspect there may be a necromancer hiding in this area. Have you seen anything strange?"

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+17)[28]

Perception on birds: (1d20)[19]

Perception on humanoid: (1d20)[19]

23. - Top - End - #83
    Banned

MonkGuy

The humanoid walks over to within ten feet. You can see he has hoofs and not feet, is covered in brown hair, and has two small horns on his head. "Why, yes, I have. I am Bruni. I have not seen a necromancer, but I have seen skeletons. They just showed up two days ago. Me and my brothers attempted to smash them...but...but...it did not go well. The skeletons killed them all. I got away, and have been looking for help. I was thinking about going and getting some Purple Knights...but I don't like going into human areas."

Show

What are the perception rolls for?

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show

Any information on the birds that that roll would give me, and any information on this guy, which you just gave me

"Skeletons? Never fear, Bruni! I can take care of that for you no problem!" Justin declares eagerly, rushing to the creature's side. "Are you wounded anywhere, my friend? I know some healing magic. I can tend to your injuries before I go and rid this area of its decay."

After offering to heal Bruni (and doing so if Bruni is still injured), Justin asks, "Did you notice anything pecuilar about these skeletons? Were they wearing a particular city's colors, or did they have strange weapons? Where did you last see them?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

MonkGuy

Bruni "A fey lady healed my wounds, but well thanks. I know not the ways of men or other creatures that are not part of nature. And of skeletons I know next to nothing. The four I speak of have not moved from the spot I first saw them. They just stand there...and kill what comes close. They have armor like yours, only not so heavy. And swords and shields, though I know not how strange they are...all metal of war is strange to me.''

The birds, that look like birds, fly over head, all 13 now in wide circles.

26. - Top - End - #86

Justin nods. "Those sound like true skeletons to me, not liches or skull knights or other dangerous creatures. They should be easily dispatched by our group, even with their matching number. Let's make haste. Thon, take point with me."

Justin gets Bruni to show him where the skeletons have not moved from and approaches them slowly.

Spoiler
    Show

Knowledge Religion, are these normal skeletons? (1d20+10)[22]
    Initiative: (1d20)[11]

27. - Top - End - #87
    Banned

MonkGuy

Bruni leads you through the rocky lands, and eventually up on top of a large rock. He stops and points to the distance, where some 500 feet away in a grassy field stand four skeletons. Each skeleton has on plate mail armor, a shield and a large sword. They are standing at attention, one each looking each of the four directions.

The field around the skeletons is lots of wild plants and grasses, all about knee high or so. And lots of broken stones all about dog size or so.

Spoiler: Check
    Show

Corja Slimsword, High Watcher of Helm information scroll on skeletons
    Skeletons are one of the most basic types of undead. Even low power necromancers, dark clerics, cultists and spellcasters of all sorts can animate skeletons. And as any adventurer can tell you, you can find them in all sorts of places like crypts and ruins.

Now a very important think to keep in mind is when is a skeleton a skeleton? Lots of undead look like skeletons. After all a great number of undead are just animated bodies that were once alive. Now if i were to ask you what a lich looked like I'm sure many of you would answer something like 'they look very much like a wizard, long robes, a pouch, a staff and that they were all skeletal. And you would all say a skeletal knight would be in fine knightly armor and with a glowing sword. But what if the lich was to take off it's robe or the knight to set down their sword? What would they look like then? A skeleton.

The point is you must always keep your helm open. Never just assume that a skeleton is a skeleton. Never just leap into battle with a foe that looks like a skeleton. And if your forced into a battle, be careful until you know what your dealing with

Never judge a skeleton by it's bones.

28. - Top - End - #88

"Well, they seem harmless enough. I doubt there are four liches here after all. And even if there's a skeletal champion among them, it can't be that much stronger than a mummy," Justin reasons to himself.

He gestures to the others to follow him and steps out heading boldly towards the skeletons. "Hey, mate! Can you help a thirsty traveler out with a bit of ale?" he calls loudly.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2014-10-22 at 09:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

MonkGuy

The skeletons hear your challenge and move to be ready to fight

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show

(1d20+2)[14]

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show

Second in initiative, but I'll go ahead and post my actions after the skeletons go

Justin moves up, drawing his blade quickly and swinging it in an arc, attempting to immediately sever one skeleton's head from its neck.
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack (Power Attack): (1d20+9)[29]
    Damage: (1d10+11)[12]

Second Attack (Assuming a skeleton moves and attacks him first since they won initiative)
    Attack: (1d20+4)[7]
    Damage: (1d10+11)[21]