New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Trinark

Trinark, safely within the extra dimensional space feels the bottom of his stomache drop out. The cold, eptiness he suddenly felt was far worse than any thing subteranian water could cause. He makes a quick check of those within the space with him, as close to panic as he had been for... well, a long time. His friend, his dear friend was missing because he had not been concentrating enough. He hadn't been keeping track of his surroundings and now look where it had lead. It was irrational to blame himself, he knew, but he couldn't help it.

"Are you sure there is no sign of him?" he thinks back at Yix.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix flies back towards the falls, checking to see if the lizardkin really is missing.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

All Lissa can really do at this point is cling onto Adalmar, hoping against hope that she doesn't lose her grip and that if she does, her knots hold. Why did I think this was such a great idea again? Oh yeah. Waterfall. I hate being helpless! And it's so dark... ah, that sparks an idea! Lissa clings on extra-tight with one arm and both legs, freeing her right hand for just a few moments. With a gesture and a few words in Gnomish, Lissa's trademark quartet of pastel-colored dancing lights pop into existence over Adalmar's head. The moment the spell is done, her right arm is holding on again. "There we go, that ought to help a little."

Lissa's heart sinks at Yix's announcement. "Oh no..." she murmurs.

OOC: Cast dancing lights and keep them over Adalmar.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yix streaks back and forth across the waterfall, keeping just far enough away to not get caught in the water's grip. A heavy mist dampens the little dragon, but he continues to zig zag as he probes for any sign of the lost druid.

The pseudodragon is rewarded when he senses a tiny flash of consciousness. As the lizardman regains consciousness, his mind registers wet, cold, dark ... Yix senses this as well and relays a message to the others, He is alive!

5. - Top - End - #95

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby, unable to muster the courage to hang from the ceiling by three limbs for the time it would take him to cast a spell, continues to suffer the darkness. He does his best to climb after the sounds of Khazrael scrabbling ahead. Unlike the other sorcerer, he begins the decent feet first, peering about to see if he can find the others.

When Lissa conjures her own light, the halfling utters a small prayer to every member of the pantheon he can think of.

Then he looks down.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

Where is he? She asks Yix. While she waits for the little reptile's response Tiriel flies toward the island she'd spotted earlier. She lands and upends her bag in the middle of it; being careful to keep everything together in one pile. She then returns to the air with only her sword and her empty pack, waiting to hear what Yix has found out.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin's heart sinks at hearing that the lizardman is nowhere to be found, but rises again when Yix transmits that he is alive. Yix... do you know where he is, or what condition he's in?
    To the others in the rope trick space, she says "We have to find some way to get out of here; this space isn't going to last forever... Any ideas? This rope seems to be anchored pretty securely, maybe we could attach other ropes to it and climb down on those... although I don't know how I'd do that and hold onto this rope at the same time."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark echoes the other's thoughts with his own, sighing with evident relief. The churning of his stomache settled somewhat, though the remains of his consternation still battled with his empty interior.

"Where is he?"
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

"Whats all the ruckus about this place falling apart? We have a good six hours until it expels us back into the river so no rush. I plan on trying to catch some sleep while we figure out a way around this waterfall problem." Came the slightly annoyed response from Callos. The necromancer was stretched out on his back, both hands palms up resting on his forehead. The tall lanky man looked exhausted, what with almost all of his arcane energies being used.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #100

Achkby gulps and starts down.

Alright. Here we go. Brandobaris, lend me your grace. Right foot up... there, there... down. Hand, slide down... yes. Foot up... there, down. Good. Hand... yes. Foot... yes.

Whew. Okay. I can do this.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

11. - Top - End - #101

As long as the rope dangles down and holds the opening of the sanctuary open, the party members within the space are able to perceive Yix's telepathic messages.

The lizardman is alive, but where is he?

Through Yix, the druid's perceptions are relayed to the rest of you. Of course there is the deafening roar of falling water. You also perceive wet stone. The lizardman is still only semi-conscious. His eyes must be closed because you get no visual images.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

The Drow's heart goes out to the lizardman. He wishes there was something that he could do, but untill everyone else was safe there was nothing that could really be done. At least the lizardman was alive and his condition stable. He seemed tired more than scared, but then Lizardmen were far removed from most of the humanoids you delt with on a daily basis and the percieved feelings could be verry different from the actual ones. Trinark settles down for a long wait while things settle down.

Kurt

13. - Top - End - #103

Adalmar

"I can help !", he shouts - of course the main result is that Lissa jumps in surprise, since only his fellow spiderclimbers can hear him. He smiles apologetically, then thinks the same message to Yix.

Upon reaching the bottom of the wall, he helps Lissa release herself from the rope - to their mutual relief. Pausing to catch his breath, he concentrates and casts a spell.

Very focused now, he inspects quickly the bottom of the falls. But if he's alive, he is probably still up there - gripping a rock.
    He starts climbing back up - without any eagerness, but because he has to.

Spoiler
    Show
    My sheet is down, but I know I had prepared Embrace the Wild (and Hunter's Mercy), which I cast now : I gain Blindsense 30ft and +2 Spot, Listen for 70min. Blindsense especially should help.
    Adalmar still has his rope around the waist and with Lissa's permission will borrow her Light.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

14. - Top - End - #104

Tiriel

Tiriel searches the "base" of the falls looking for any sign of the missing druid. If that fails, she'll head back up towards the mouth of the waterfall, taking the side opposite of Adalmar.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

15. - Top - End - #105

Khazrael

Having reached the base of the falls, he pauses to think.

Wet. Cold. Loud. That sounds like the past two weeks of my life.
    Still, maybe...

Still pensive, he steps slowly towards the base of the falls. His eyes scan the darkness for any sign--or even any likely location for the Lizardman's location, including debris from the boats or dropped gear. Heavy footfalls carry him close enough for the sound to drown everything out, for the spray to soak him to the bone. To try and experience exactly what Yix described.

"GET UP! GET UP YOU BASTARD! I am not going to spend all night swimming the Styx to find you!"

His voice grows hoarse as he shouts in Draconic, but his mind remains focused.

16. - Top - End - #106

When he reaches the bottom of the falls, Achkby closes his eyes and takes deep breaths until his knees stop shaking.
    I didn't know what a blessing it was to be close to the ground. I think I'd like stay this way.

As Adalmar tries to grasp at the glowing orbs that dart about Lissa's head, Achkby tiredly withdraws a slingstone from the little pouch at his belt and mutters a few words that suffuse the flat pebble in a thin, yellowy glow. After a moment's hesitation, he passes the stone over to the warrior.
    "Don't lose it. It's lucky."

When Adalmar leaves, Achkby takes a quick look around, and edges towards Lissa, standing awkwardly less than an armspan from the gnome.
    Should I be doing something about the Druid? Lissa will want to...
    "Ah, what now?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Not knowing what to do, Yix waits and listens tosee if he can hear the lizardkin.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin is feeling impatient and nervous, and wants to get something done while the others wait around in a continually disintegrating extradimensional space. She pulls the rope trick rope up into the extradimensional space. "Does anyone else have any rope I can borrow? I'll probably need at least 200 feet more to reach the bottom of the falls."
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-04-05 at 11:41 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

19. - Top - End - #109

The lizardman slowly regains consciousness. The second to last thing he remembers is being surprised by the force of the underwater current. The last thing he remembers is being swept toward the waterfall's edge when one of his handholds crumbles ...

He opens his eyes and blinks as he reorients himself. He is in a cave of some kind, carved from countless centuries of flowing water. There is no light, but his darkvision reveals that the cave appears to be approximately 50 feet wide and 100 feet deep. The entrance is a wall of rushing water.

He recognizes the contact with Yix and finds the reptilian empathic link comforting. I am safe. he projects.

Yix relays this back to his companions.

Katrin looks to her companions for more rope. If they want to rappel down the sides of the waterfall, they will need at least three lengths she calculates. Alternatively, she supposes Tiriel could ferry them down to the base one-by-one if there is enough time.

20. - Top - End - #110

I'll be in Boston this weekend, but try to post anyways. Peace.

Whew. Thanks, Yix!

Achkby smiles a nervous, relieved smile. He sits stifly, happy to wait until someone else rescues the Druid.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

21. - Top - End - #111

Tiriel

Tiriel finds some relief in knowing that the druid is safe. She continues her assent until she reaches the top of the falls. Looking up to where the end of the rope disappears she says, "So now what? Should I take someone back down with me?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

22. - Top - End - #112

Ssathiya, Lizardkin Druid

The previous night had been an ordeal on its own right, the brush with watery death sapped all remaining strength out of him. Slumping to the ground, he undoes the inner trappings of his hide and rolls his pack beside him before fading into unconsciousness.

His harsh breathing slows and quietens.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

23. - Top - End - #113

Khazrael

He's safe, but where in Gehenna is he?

Khazrael's battered body cannot long keep up the search. He returns to Lissa and Akhby's location, suggesting that perhaps Raskoruran was caught on a ledge or some other odd geographical feature.

"If he's safe, then we need to focus on our friends up top. I don't have any rope or anything, but if Tiriel can carry me, then maybe she can carry them."

He goes silent for a moment. Heavy bloodloss makes it hard to concentrate.

"We need...we need to rest somewhere. All of us. My magic energy's all burned up."

He coughs so hard that a feather actually dislodges itself from his head and drifts to the ground. He squints at the two for a moment.

"If you aren't doing anything else, why don't you two search for a spot? I'll hit the other end of the chasm. Look for something with only one avenue of approach."

A hand slides to his belt and he produces a large knife. He turns to leave.

"And be careful."

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Bob View Post
    Tiriel and Yix make an aerial survey and discover that the entire gallery appears to be an underground canyon carved by the rushing water.

The tunnel opening is an irregular diamond shape in a tall but narrow rock wall.

The ceiling of the cave lies about 50 feet above the waterfall opening and is made up of stalactites and curtains of rock. The chamber floor lies 200 feet below and is an irregular "V" in cross-section with scattered stalagmites further creating complex terrain.

The valley seems to stretch indefinitely into the distance with the stream, having reformed down below, wending its way east once again.

Tiriel spots a flat, open space down below, far enough away from the waterfall's base to be dry and relatively quiet.
    The lizardman drops off to sleep before orienting himself, cutting off any way for Yix (and by extension the rest of the party) to locate him. Reassured, however, that the druid is safe for the moment, the rest of the party focuses on getting away from the waterfall.

Katrin knots the rope into a harness of sorts, allowing Tiriel to firmly grip each of the party members. Tiriel ferries each party member, including the ones clinging to the rock walls, one by one to the open area she and Yix had scouted earlier.

The area is essentially a stone bowl, perhaps 30 feet in diameter. The edges of the bowl are made up of a ring of stalagmites, providing a measure of security, should the dark cavern prove to be uninhabited.

Cold, damp, and somewhat demoralized, the party huddles together at the bottom of the bowl. The light sources keep the darkness at bay, but generate no heat. Field rations are consumed, though most of you find yourselves with little appetite. The roar of the waterfall, though diminished by distance, is incessant.

On the positive side, the locator rune appears to have faded from Lissa's neck, whether because she is now "out of range" or because the flowing water somehow blocks its effect.

Taking shifts, as usual, you manage to finally get some rest, for the first time in who knows how long. Sleep and meditation take a little bit of the edge off of your misery. You awaken refreshed, but surrounded by darkness and the sound of rushing water.

The first order of business is to retrieve the druid. Yix flies back to waterfall and manages to triangulate a location for the lizardman. To the pseudodragon's surprise, the druid appears to be behind the waterfall, close to its top.

Back at the "camp", Trinark frowns. The drow is used to this kind of environment, and more than anyone else in the party should be at home here, but something seems somehow wrong to him. For the Upperdark, this cavern appears to be a bit too quiet. Though caverns like this often appear barren of life to members of the surface races, the drow is used to at least some signs of the usual Upperdark fauna - cave fish, bats, the occasional kobold, etc. The drow quickly surveys the area and find no signs of life at all.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-07 at 07:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

"Strange..." he mutters to himself in undercommon as his watch ends and he prepares to meditate for his deities blessings. He elaborates in common for the benefit of everyone else.

"It is strange here. I would expect some..." he searches for the right phrase, "signs of life... in a place like this." He pauses as he mentally translates the next part. "There is no movement in the water. I was thinking of food," he hints, "and how I used to sometimes fish in the under-dark lakes as a child. Dangerous to fish. Difficult to see what's in water sometimes, but there is always something. Now... now I see nothing."

He looks, discomfort clear on his face, at the complete stillness that was the water before them. Barely a ripple even reached this far from the waterfall.

Kurt

26. - Top - End - #116

Khazrael

Rest and recuperation have worked wonders for Khazrael. With freshly applied kohl, a full night's sleep, and refilled inner energy, he seems almost unaffected by the previous day's harrowing events, save for his slight pallor and slowly healing bite wound.

He catches Trinark's remark just as he returns to the group, and offers, "I hate to suggest this, given that I was just washing in it, but there might be something wrong with the water. Maybe it's poisoned or something."

27. - Top - End - #117

Adalmar

His sleep is agitated, but dreamless. He wakes up to a world of darkness. Not sure what to do, he busies himself feeding Kir.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

28. - Top - End - #118

Lizardman Druid

Ssathiya awakens from his slumber. Picking himself up he examines his surroundings more throughly this time after donning his armor.

If the cave has nothing of interest, he eats a meal and prays for his spells.

He peers carefully from the edge of the cave mouth for a clear path to climb down with little risk of being washed away. Seeing no other alternative he will climb down and try to locate his friends.

He carves a short prayer of thanks to Semuanya in Druidic near the cave mouth before doing so.

OOC: If there is another path down from the cave i'll follow it. If not i'll just spider climb myself and climb down and follow Yix or Tiriel if they fly and guide me to the others.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-04-10 at 02:38 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

After awakening, Katrin retrieves her crossbow, sword, throwing daggers, bolts, and the rest of her usual gear from her Handy Haversack, so she can access it more easily.
    "That is strange... Trinark, what explanation could there be for this? I don't know very much about the Underdark, but during the time I was in the Underdark before, there was a lot more life, as you said."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix sensing the lizardkins mind tries to communicate with him "How are you faring my friend?"