New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 51 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

That night, you gather at the long table for dinner. Kiah is introduced to the Lord and Lady Ulrich, and she is warmly welcomed. Delphinia's and Hajih's absence is noted, but attributed to "ranger business". Ssilithos' body is kept outside in the stalls to forestall any decomposition until you can figure out how best to dispose of his remains. Though he was abrasive and foolish, you raise a glass to his memory.

Lord Ulrich is eager to hear how the two hydrae were slain, and he nearly spills his soup leaning forward to catch every detail. Once the story is complete, Lady Ulrich yawns and excuses herself, citing fatigue. With a rueful shrug, Lord Ulrich too rises from the table and bids you all good night.

Once again, vials of Lady Ulrich's healing elixir are provided for those who remain injured. A fine sherry and more cigars are also offered by Lord Ulrich's servants, and you are led to a richly furnished study to spend the evening sipping and puffing in the firelight.

A small chest lies in the center of an oak table by one of the windows. Inside the chest are, as promised, 2000 gold pieces that glitter in the light spilling in through the window from the full moon.

You begin to discuss how best to divide the reward among those present (and not present). A few sideways glances are sent Achkby's way, but if this bothers the halfling sorceror, he shows no signs of it.

Once Si'rene is sure that you are alone and not being observed, she waves everyone over next to the fireplace.

"When I found Kiah, I checked the hydrae's lair for any magical items left among the ... debris ... outside the cave."

The white-haired elf lays out three items before the hearth: an old rusted and pitted gauntlet, a clear crystalline prism, and a burnished silver ring. The silver ring appears to originally have been set with three rubies, but two of the stones are missing. Only a single red ruby remains, sparkling in the firelight.

Looking up, Si'rene asks, "Where is Katrin?"

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Oooh... perhaps they'll be magical... I probably won't get any, though. What am I talking about?! What did I do to deserve any. Grsha!

As the group gathers around, Achkby asks softly, "Might I see what I can divine of any... extra-ordinary properties they could have? Callos, perhaps you should do the same..."

[OOC]With a nod from Aeroz or Si'rene or somesuch, Achkby will cast Detect Magic as many times as necessary and make whatever Spellcraft or Knowledge (Arcana) checks would be appropriate, if any are. Both skills at +10.[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel
    "Katrine? I think she went up to her room. She didn't say anything, but maybe she's not feeling well? I'll go check on her, she won't want to miss this."

Tiriel will leave the group huddled around the objects and head up the stairs that she saw Katrine use earlier.
    it's not like I'll be of any help trying to figure out what they are any how....
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #4

Fizahn:

Fizahn examines the magical items with little interest. There's nothing there that particulary peaks his interest. He seems mostly interested in the gold and whenever ways to split it are discussed; he seems intent on splitting it with the fewest people possible.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, seems to be some strange findings, I be interested what they are? Any of you have any ideas? The gauntlet in particular interestes me, something like that should have rusted long ago, not merely remained in that state..."

*Thokk checks over all the items, merely looking at them and trying to see if he has remembered any of them or if he can figure anything un-usual about them.*

OOC: Knowledge check, +2 racial stonecunning and metal knowledge

*Between the meals and sitting around, Thokk approached and asked the Lord if he had permission to use a furnace and also if he could have a leatherworked assist him in working his hydra skin*

6. - Top - End - #6

Lizardkin Druid

Having helped the dwarf warrior haul some hydra skin back earlier, the druid had retreated to somewhere quiet.

The druid continues to meditate in solitude. He is unaware of the events in the hall but is aware the others are eating a meal together.

If hunger finds him again he has a couple of steaks wrapped nearby.

Sheyra..don't be frightened. Fight it.. fight it

He holds the tooth dangling around his neck and exhales.

As he rests the green ley lines start to from before his eyes and he feels stronger and more connected with the land. The exertions of the hunt and journey over the last few days strengthening him and adding on to his druidic ability.

He slowly falls into trance

[pmed you DR. bob]
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VII: Lake of Tears II

Callos

The necromancer was almost completely unsurprised to find out that the green haired priest had been slain trying to fight a hydra alone. Still it was never a good idea to dishonor a dead persons memory. Too many things could interact, too many variables to predict that might lead to the man spontenously returning to life. So instead he busied himself with the trinkets found at the hydra's lair, peering over them just as intently as Ackby had done, if for no other reason then to keep himself busy. The ring and gauntlet in particular drew his attention.

((Right, doing the spellcraft and maybe arcana cheks for the items.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

8. - Top - End - #8

Elthan

Elthan picks up the crystaline prism and looks over it. Didn't Elthan have something similar to this while we where in the underdark? It certiantly looks similar, if nothing else.
    He places the crystal back on the table, and adresses the group. "Can I make a suggestion? Instead of directly splitting the gold among us, shouldn't we put some of the gold towards group assests? Group potions, scrolls, food, ammunition and such so the whole is well supplied. At this point it doesn't seem likely that we will part and go our own ways, so we might as well pool some of our earnings."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah will join Tiriel if she may. "Do you mind if I join you? Katrine looked down earlier, and I feel out of place here. Maybe I can help."

10. - Top - End - #10

Thokk judges the gauntlet to be structurally sound, though heavily oxidized. Callos notes that the gauntlet radiates a moderately strong aura of transmutation.

Elthan picks up the crystal prisms and peers through it with curiousity. He tosses it into the air once or twice, catching it in the palm of his hand. Coughing weakly, he places it back down on the floor. "It's bigger than an ioun stone and it doesn't seem to float," he observes.

"It seems to very faintly radiate evocation magic. I'm surprised that you even noticed it, Si'rene ..."

Eventually, attention turns to the silver ring with the single remaining ruby. "Is that what I think it is?" someone asks. Callos and Elthan both confirm that the ring radiates magic strongly. The aura is judged to be of the evocation school.

[hr]
    Tiriel and Kiah climb the stairs together. Tiriel is naturally concerned about her good friend. Kiah is simply looking for an excuse to stretch out her newly healed legs.

Katrin had uncharacteristically asked for a single room. The door is closed, of course, so Tiriel knocks lightly to see if everything is OK. There is no response from inside the bedroom.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

More of his attention turned towards the gauntlet that was covered in rust. Everyone else was paying the ring mind and the necromancer had no doubt that they would eventually figure it out. So instead he decided to investigate the gauntlet. Besides it worried him. Transmutation magic could be tricky, dangerous even, espicially if it was cursed.

"Thokk, let me take a look at that gauntlet. I want to try and discover its function. If at any point in time it seems to be causing me pain or any adverse affects and I do nothing of my own accord to remove, I want you to take it off. Forcibly if you have too."

He looked pointedly at the dwarf's bastard sword at the last part as he held his hand out for the gauntlet. If Thokk lets him look at it he'll slip it unto his hand and wait to see if it does anything of its own accord.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix climbs up on the table to appreciate all the new shiny (and rusty) objects. He is particularly fascinated with the gold, which he immefiately goes over to and begins counting.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy inserts his opinion on Silithos' rites rather pointedly,

"We ain't wasting any time in the morning sorting out that dead priest. I don't overmuch care who he worships, but here on land, ya don't get a burial at sea. If that was what he wanted, he should'a died much closer ta water, cause we ain't diverting fer his sake." He wrenches his knuckles together, cracking them noisily, "Now what I WILL do, on account'a I'm such a nice guy, is dig him his own plot in the frostbitten ground and see him buried there tonight. Anyone wants ta give anyone elses blessing on the matter, that's their business."

He joins the others briefly in the matter of the magical items, but seems to quickly lose interest at the sight of them. Nothing looked terribly useful to him; at least, no more useful than a share of gold might be. With a shrug, he sets out to find a shovel or three (to account for breakage) and bury the priest wherever is most convenient

((OOC: as an aside, if no one goes with him, he'll probably strip Silithos of anything valuable looking before burying him. no one come, please :P))

14. - Top - End - #14

Tiriel

Tiriel shrugs when Kiah offers to come with her. She seems nice enough after all, so whatever.

Hearing no response from the room, Tiriel knocks again, louder. " Katrin, it's me. Open up already."

If there is still no response, she's more than prepared to find out which is stronger, the door or herself.

::She'll try the door to see if it's locked, if so then:
    if the hinges face out, she'll simply lift the pegs (or the entire door), if not, ahh well I think we know what's coming....::

edit: yeah I guess I should have her try the door first...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

15. - Top - End - #15

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Nyssa nods to Lumpy. "You are correct. We don't have the time, and better he rests now. I will assist you, Lumpy. You should also secure any goods left on his body -- they will do him no good where he has gone. They can better assist the group."

{Nyssa dealt with death all of her life -- it's completely natural to her, and she's very pragmatic. Dead people don't need things. Living people do. She won't allow his holy symbol or any non-useful personal items (like clothing) to be taken. She'll help Lumpy sort out what's magical/worthwhile and not, as well.}

She then looks at Elthan. "And I believe your proposal is a good one. Those on the front lines get injured and must use potions, or the priests must use costly items on them. They keep people like me safe, but I bare none of the cost of it. It's not equitable."

With that, she gets up to follow Lumpy. "I trust the group will figure out a fair way to divide our rewards. Please keep in mind that two of our number have departed, but I think we should keep their shares for them until we're sure they're not returning."

16. - Top - End - #16

Aeroz

Aeroz stays present for the scanning/testing/identifying of the magic items. He keeps an eye on Callos and anyone else fiddling with the magic items, just in case what the wizard fears does happen. He also occasionally glances at Si'rene, Ginerva and Tiriel.

I dont trust the three of them at all. First they put me on that hellhole of a journey, and now they want to just be allies. Well, not mine, but, the point is there. Too many variables.

[OOC: Fixed DR, Stupid not reading things in their entirety.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

17. - Top - End - #17

Fizahn:

Fizahn keeps his eye on the gold. He grins as he sees Yix start counting. Fizahn decides to have fun with Yix and sidles over to the pseudodragon very nonchalantly. "Good idea counting it. Make sure it's all there and we weren't shorted any. Did you count that piece?" Fizahn asks, pointing to a piece he knows full well Yix has already counted. Fizahn busys himself trying to distract the tiny dragon and make him lose count. He also sneaks some of pieces the dragon's already counted back into the pile. When it's all said and done, the dragon's count comes up 2179 gold. Darn and I was so hoping to get 2180.

OOC: Completely useless and stupid, but it struck me as a kinda funny thing for Fizahn to do.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Ludo

Ludo gratefully accepts the healing elixir and drinks it. He sits quietly in a corner by the fire, letting its restorative effects work on his wound. He refuses the wine and cigars but instead sips water from a goblet. He watches Nyssa and Lumpy exit to bury the priest. Nolan has grown to respect the half-orc and he quietly meditates where he sits, trusting that his sister is in good hands.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*Working with Callos*

'Ach lad, sounds like a good idea, may also be good to take off yer belt pouch so yer dont start slingin spells around, Ill make sure I dont have to be too forcefull in removing the gauntlet'

*Thokk helps Callos any way he can, but lays his sword against the far wall, but still close enough to grab should the need arise*

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

The tiny dragon can't figure out why the king would give them more gold than he promised for teh reward. He sits there scratching his head for a few moments pondering, but eventually gives up, and begins to take more of an interest in the other items going around.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa's eyes fixed on the ruby ring the moment Si'rene brought it out. She picks it up almost reverently, examining the damaged piece of jewelry. "Great Golden Lords... people, I really think we should put some of the gold toward identify spells. At least one of you magic types can cast that one, right?" The gnome looks around at Achkby, Elthan, Callos and Nyssa. "I've heard tales about rings like this, but I don't want to look like a fool if I'm wrong. And you know how bards are, who knows how much of those tales was actually true. It would be wonderful if it were, though..." Her voice trails off, and she stares at the mysterious ring a moment more before putting it back with the rest of the loot.

Then Lissa notices what Callos is doing, and just about falls out of her chair. "YOU IDIOT! Beshaba on a broomstick, a wizard of all people should know better than to wear an unidentified magic item! You complete and utter dolt! I lost a good friend of mine to an enchanted necklace that choked her to death! 'Oh, Lissa, you're so paranoid! I'm sure it's perfectly safe!' Last words she ever said." Finally she runs out of steam and just glares for a bit. Despite the glare, it's plain that Lissa is indeed very upset and worried.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

22. - Top - End - #22

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

As most of the group turns on the ring and Callos investigte the gauntlet, Achkby fineagles the crystal away. Callos has clearly got his piece under control, and while Achkby's heard as many stories as the rest--well, maybe not Lissa, but no one has her appetite for treasure (besides that Greedy Fizahn, of course. Gnomes!)--but it can't really be what they all hope it is. These things don't just lie about in the snow.
    He turns the crystal over and over in his hands, trying to remember if he's ever heard of this sort of thing. He did always try and pick up tales of magic as he travelled, but it had been so long since he'd heard any new ones...

[OOC]If you haven't already made the check, DR... Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+11=19)[/OOC]

However, when Lissa's tirade to Callos spews forth, his is forcibly pulled from his attempt at memory recall, and he grudgingly involves himself with intra-party politics.
    "Come on, now, Lissa, leave him at it. He knows what he's doing, better than most. 'Snice of you to watch out for him, an' all, but don't stop him at his work."

That's settled.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kiah

Kiah watches as Tiriel knocks and tries the door. If the door is locked and Tiriel can't break it first try she will hurry down to the group to see if anyone is good with locks.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark chose to remain in the background after their meal. He didn't partake of the luxuries, mainly because they were foreign to him.

Instead he remained seated back from the hearth, observing the goings on. He used his keen elven hearing to listen as his companions examined the items liberated from the lair of the hydras. He never learned much about magic beyond the limited divine flows he was able to channel.

He did take note the Tiriel and the older human woman left the room together.

25. - Top - End - #25

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

Well, I'm no good at digging, am I? She looked mournfully at the pitiful few dents she'd made in the frozen earth with her shovel.

Lumpy, meanwhile, had made astonishing progress in the time they'd been outside, and was already knee-deep in a substantial hole. He'd carried the body out on his own, sorted through the priest's possessions on his own, and was basically running the entire burial. She had a feeling that's how he preferred things, anyhow, and she went along, helping where she could.

I'm really getting nowhere. Still, Nyssa kept digging. Even if she couldn't contribute much, she could contribute something. She pulled her furs around her tighter and made another clumsy stab at the ground.

"So," Nyssa said, after a while, "where did you get that scar?" She could have pointed at any one of the dozens that marred the half-orc's body, but in the darkness, it was hard to tell.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy was in fact quite good at digging holes. When there had been digging to do back home, his mother's husband had made sure he was the one doing it. The militias usually made him too, come to think of it. He could swear up and down he'd dug every hole in Scardale. As he progressed, he gradually stripped extraneous furs from himself, heating up quickly beneath the bulky garments. Eventually, he's left only with his pair of homespun wool pants as well as boots and heavy gloves to aid his grip. And though the tip of his whole ear reddens and gooseflesh prickles along his leathery skin, he seems comfortable in the cold.

He drives the shovel into the ground with a grunt, the tool's handle creaking and bending under the applied force. Digging in the winter was stupid really, but he didn't need anyone else losing focus on their goal on account of alternative burials. He glances up in surprise as Nyssa speaks up, leaving his shovel stuck in the ground, swaying slightly,

"Huh?" A moment later, his mind catches up, processing the information and supplying an answer. He glances down at himself, then at her, as if trying to further divine her meaning, What's she playing at?Ah, whatever. . .. Regardless, he shrugs, tracing his finger along a number of scars as he rattles off their descriptions and cause. It almost seems he knows every one of them,

"Most'a these ones" He traces orderly marks traveling perpendicularily along both his forearms. Their order and alignment is uncannily good, "come from blocking swords. Beats getting hit in the face. The little round ones are from arrows. I picked up more than a few'a them up north, but a couple're from the Dales too.." His hands slide up to his scalp, where an oddly posistioned scar shimmies it's way along the top of his bony head "This one's actually where a crossbow bolt bounced off. It was a lousy shot. Most'a the other nicks here are from knife-fighting. They're always going fer the face, unless they know what they're doing" He points out cuts along his cheeks and nose, as well as his missing eartip, but then moves along to a nasty set of three jagged slashes curiving down his browline, narrowly missing one eye, " 'Cept this one. Big walking statue near tore my face off in the Underdark.""

He resumes shoveling, though he keeps speaking
    "Everything else's just normal wear and tear. Little nicks and scrapes happen when ya fight. Well, the ones on my back are lashings, but it's all basically the same."

27. - Top - End - #27

Lumpy and Nyssa chip away at the frozen earth. Once they get below the frozen crust, the digging gets a little easier, but not much.

Lumpy had managed to salvage a small ring from the green-haired priest's body, but little else seemed to have survived the hydra's teeth and claws.

By the time they have completed the burial, the moon is high in the clear night sky. The orc sentries had long ago lost interest in watching them, so the two of them sit quietly beside the mound of dirt watching as a pair of falling stars streak across the sky.

Suddenly Lumpy stands up, peering into the darkness. It might have been his imagination, but for a moment he thought he saw a dark shape slinking around in the distance. "Maybe we should head inside?" he suggests.

[hr]
    Callos flexes and opens his hand experimentally a few times, dislodging small flakes of rust that catch the firelight as they drift to the ground.

The necromancer randomly points and gestures, but the gauntlet seems to have no obvious effect.

Thokk leans in close, almost smelling the metal, and notes a series of fine complex spirals inscribed in the gauntlet.

Callos reaches for the fireplace poker, but when he grasps the tool with the gauntlet, it immediately oxidizes and crumbles into dust ...

[hr]
    Upstairs, Kiah tries the latch, but the door is locked from inside. Kiah is about to head downstairs to see if anyone is good at picking locks, but before she can do so, Tiriel has lifted a heavy booted foot and kicked the door in.

The bedroom is empty. Moonlight spills through and open window onto a bare floor.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"In the name of the gods..."

*Thokk jumps back and quickly rambles in high dwarven, before catching himself and speaking in common*

"Ach, that be a powerful weapon there lad! Bane to any fighter in existance! Take it off lad, I wish to try!"

*Thokk quickly stripes all metal objects off himself, except for a chain around his chest. He then politly reaches for the gauntlet, but all can note the eager look in his eyes*

29. - Top - End - #29

GreataxeFighterGirl

Nyssa

She listens to Lumpy's business-like listing of his scars, her shovel held still in her hands. "I think my brother and you are very alike, in some ways." She goes back to "shoveling" in silence.

When they've finished, Nyssa kneels down by the grave, touching it, then touching her forehead. She murmurs a quiet prayer to Kelemvor, then stands.

She looks once more at the grave. "May you be in peace. And may your goddess warn her other priests to not be so foolish."

Nyssa looks directly at Lumpy. "Life is far too precious to waste. He was a idiot. And now he's a dead idiot. But still, one trait that makes us who we are is how we treat the dead." She smiles. "Shall we?"

{Once they're back inside, she'll Detect Magic on the ring, and attempt to use Spellcraft (+11) and Knowledge: Arcana (+11) to determine its properties, if it's magical.}

30. - Top - End - #30

Tiriel

"Damn that girl. She's gone and done it again. Tiriel sighs and walks out of the room. Kiah looks at her questionaly as Tiriel closes the door behind them.
    "Look, all we can do is wait for her to come back. Whatever she's doing, she must have wanted to do it discretely."

Slightly peeved at being left out, Tiriel heads back downstairs to enjoy the food, and festivities.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2006-10-27 at 11:53 AM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel