New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Adalmar

"That noise was most likely the roof falling down. It means we can't go back now..."

He has goosebumps all over, and being underground doesn't make him feel any better. Gripping an oar, he begins to propel the boat forward as soon as the halfling sends his Dancing Lights to light the way.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

A pained expression came to his face when Elthan told him to take the one seat left and he groaned. "Yeah, I'm REALLY going to let you have a chance to die of the cold or to escape without getting my answers first. Get in the damn boat or I'll put you out and shove you in. I'll take the fourth one."

And with that said, Callos approached the fourth boat and clambered up into it. Shivering some from the cold, he looked about then took out his length of rope. How else could he get this boat to move...well there were a couple of options. One was tying the rope to another boat and have that one pull his own. The other was to tie it to the druid and let him pull the boat, if he was willing. The last was to have the druid in his boat and using his tail of the side as a means of propulsion.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #33

Tiriel

Against her better judgment Tiriel helps Elthan into the boat. Everyone is cold and tried, not to mention angry and confused and she can't bring herself to deny the man a dry perch.
    "Do we want to chance resting or keep moving?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark sits sereanly in the boat. It was as though a great weight had been lifted from his sholders. The familiar mustyness of damp cave greeted him like an old friend. And he could see, oh he could see! No more squinting under that impossibly bright sun, no more hiding beneath blankets to escape it's blinding glare. He might not be home but it was close enough.

Trinark makes room for the wizard clambering inside. He watches him with sad eyes. What could cause someone to kill an inocent person like the paladin? Dark magic? In a way he hoped that was the case, he hoped that it was under a compulsion, but if it was then what if the compulsion surfaced again? One could only hope that it could be removed.

On the other hand what if it had been off his own volition? Trinark could not imagine Elthan doing such a horrable deed. He had seemed such a nice quiet person. The answers would come in time, in time the answers would come. In the mean time Trinark would offer him the small comfort that no one else seemed to want to other than Callos, the benefit of the doubt.

"Come, sit by me."
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

The dwarf enjoys his newfound powers of climbing, and seems happy to be under the tunnels again. Eventually, however, his mood reverts to his normal self, and the damp does not help him
    "Ach, I suggest we let the caster types rest themselves. They aint a whole lot o use without being able to do that, and some of us dont need the rest to be effective. Restin on the boats seems to be our best bet, and we are also rather protected. Lets just keep floatin along and gather our wits"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin looks nervously at the darkness behind her. The sparks from the collapsed building remind her of the nightmares, who had started the fire in the first place, and a surprise attack by the nightmares was the last thing she wanted, although she had no idea how they could get through the shaft.
    "I'd let the boats float with the current and rest in shifts."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

7. - Top - End - #37

Aeroz

"Putting some distance between us and this place is a good idea. Presumably, the vampires have no clue this escape route is here, however, they could be searching the ruins to make sure that everyone is dead. They could come across the doorway at any point, so if they do, I would prefer not to be here to greet them."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"We can't stay here. Won't be long till the blood suckers find the hole, even if the building collasped on it, and I don't even know if this will keep them from following us. Though if it did, then this'd be the best spot to make a stand against the remaining skeletons. Wouldn't stop the demon horses though. This situation is just like that big black oozey thing we found in the Underdark, we keep moving and pray we lose it."

Callos managed to stammer out from his lonely craft as the cold began to set into his bones. Shivering and holding his wet clothes tightly around himself even as he cursed the lack of fire spells. Even if he had to set something on fire, that'd still be a good expenditure of arcane energy to keep him warm. Cause right now, yeah he wasn't looking his best. Pale and shivering with eyes sunk back into his head, dark rings underneath of his eyes and teeth chattering...he wasn't going to win Most Intimidating or Impressive Mage of the year award.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #39

Khazrael

"We're going to look pretty stupid sitting still in these boats when they figure out we're missing and come down here."

He leans over the edge and grabs the chain, rattling at it in an effort to try to unhook it somehow. When a gentle shake doesn't move it, he stares forlornly at the lizardman, not wanting to personally re-enter the water.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa points to the back of her neck, where the Evil Rune presumably lies dormant. "Until we can find a safe place to rest and one of the mages gets this thing off my neck, odds are good that the bloodsuckers will know exactly where we are. So lets get some flowing water between us and them, eh? Knowing where we are won't do them much good if they can't follow us." She peers uneasily into the inky depths of the subterranean river. "And a teeny little boat is not my idea of a safe place to rest. Who knows what might be swimming around down there?" Wringing out her wet braid over the side of the boat, Lissa looks over at Lumpy. "What do you think, Lumpy? You've got the tactical experience here."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy sits silent for a moment, still brooding over Elthan's consciousness, WHen he does speak, his tone is strained, but simple and to the point,

"Fact is, we can't afford niether not resting or not moving. If the mark still works, they'll sort out where we are eventually either way. Moving buys us time ta set up favorable circumstances, and resting makes sure there is such thing as a favorable circumstances."

He waves a hand at Callos,

"And if vampires aren't too keen on running water, then there may not be a better place fer it than here. Don't matter if it's flimsy, uncomfortable, or otherwise dangerous- some'a us gotta get the sleep ya can get when ya can get it."

He shrugs tiredly,

"Bottom line, I say we let the current take us and anyone what needs sleep fer magic or whatever else get it. Everyone else can steer and keep an eye on things fine."

12. - Top - End - #42

Lizardman Druid

Heaving himself onto the last boat, he alarms Callos who maneuvers as best as he can so that they don't capsize.

Sitting in the boat, the Lizardman is shivering very badly and dripping water onto the boat. He manages to dig out a blanket and wrap himself with it.

"WE Gooo.Theeere", he says with his teeth chattering.

We are too tired to paddle. Other ways will be too tiring.

He slumps down in the boat with nothing further to say. If Elthan turns to look at him, he finds that the reptilian avoids looking him in the face.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

13. - Top - End - #43

Tiriel

Tiriel watches the water running against the sides of the boats.
    "Is it just me, or is the current running East? I think our best bet would be to just let the boats float with it - it's going the way we were headed anyhow."
    Taking care not to move suddenly she reaches over and lifts up the chain until it's high enough to allow one of the boats to pass under, if the occupants duck. She figures that the others can pull their boats under the chain while she holds it before she pushes her boat through.

[ooc: Tiriel is also willing and ready to cast Light when Ackby's lights go out.]
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

One by one, the boats, including the empty one, drift under the chain being held aloft by Tiriel. She releases the chain, and your boats slowly drift with the current into a natural stone tunnel.

The tunnel wends its way eastward, with the passage wide enough for two boats to pass abreast. The current appears to flow more briskly in the center of the passage, however, and soon all four boats arrange themselves automatically into a line.

Finding yourselves at rest for the first time in what seems like an eternity, several of you simply drop off to sleep where you sit in your boats. When Achkby'd lights die out, Tiriel generates more light, which serves simply to assure everyone that you are indeed moving.

After an indeterminate period of time, the passage begins to narrow. As it does so, the current picks up speed. A low rumbling is felt more than heard in the distance.

15. - Top - End - #45

Khazrael

Khazrael dozes in and out of consciousness, his hand occasionally rising to rub at the painful bite wound in his neck.

16. - Top - End - #46

Adalmar

With the ebb of adrenaline comes the need to sleep. He fights drowsiness as best he can - there has to be someone awake, and he is on the leading craft. His eyes linger on the ring on his left hand, and he remembers the friend he took it from... Thanks for your gift, Matthias. You're not forgotten.

The distant rumbling is appeasing at first, but as it gets closer it brings him to his senses. "Guys, I'm afraid there may be a waterfall coming soon... Tiriel, can you fly ahead to scout ?" He is focused enough to forget his ambivalence with regard to his angel.

He tries to slow the boat down, first by back-paddling then, seeing his efforts are not enough to match the speed of the currents, he tries to let the boat get stuck across the tunnel. He even slows down the next boat, so that his doesn't get dislodged.

"If at all possible we should wait here until we know what's coming."
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Despite her initial misgivings, fatigue and the rocking motion of the boat conspire to lull Lissa to sleep. Just before she drifts off, she yawns and sleepily waves a hand. The gnome's soaked armor and clothing are instantly dry. Mmm, I love magic...

Lissa drifts back to consciousness after some time, happily nestled against something warm. And- moving? She opens her eyes to find that she apparently cuddled up to her seatmate, Achkby, in her sleep. Blushing under her dusky complexion, Lissa sits up abruptly. "Um. Sorry about that, I didn't mean to..."

OOC: Previous 'day's prestidigitation used to dry off. Once Lissa is done talking to Achkby, she'll pray for spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

18. - Top - End - #48

Tiriel looks dubiously at the low hanging rock overhead. It looks like she wouldn't have much clearance. Yix, on the other hand, has no problems zipping ahead into the darkness. He isn't gone long before he returns with a beautiful but alarming image ...

The tunnel you are floating down opens up into a vast cavern. An enormous waterfall cascades down a steep rocky face. The vertical drop is at least 200 feet.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark makes the rounds in his boat, starting with the two ladies. Elthan is not left out, however. His wounds are bound with the same care and respect as is offered the others. After that he settles down to rest as the current carries them lazily down the underground river.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Balls..."

The dwarf streaches himself out, still in his plate, then looks around

"Oi! Any of yer got another spider thingie? That could get several of us out of the way o the water. Im not exactly looking foward to a 200 foot drop"

21. - Top - End - #51

Elthan

Elthan huddles to himself in the boat, unable to rest with so much on his mind. Though Trinark offers to bandage Elthans cheek, the wound has already healed over externally for the most part, and any such mundane healing would serve no end.

Briefly during the ride, he looks up and checks everyone in the group with a gaze. When they stopped running, the inquiry would begin. Who would listen to him, understand, or sympathize? He ends on the Druid, and watches as the lizard-kin consciously looks away. Filled with a rather empty feeling, he huddles again and falls asleep.

He rouses himself as Yix makes his return trip and informs everyone of the impending danger. Unsure of what advice to give, he curls further into his now damp robes and grasps the edges of his cloak.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

22. - Top - End - #52

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

After he's climbed aboard, Achkby strips off the bulkiest of his clothes, checking his pack for any damage or anything that might have floated away. Some of his food supplies are ruined, and he regretfully tosses his soaked fennel and cumin overboard. The sugar is mostly washed away, but he self-consciously licks up what little has stuck to the cloth before jettisoning it, as well.

As he regains some energy, Achkby recalls the altercation back in the cavern.
    Wait... what was that about Elthan?
    As Lissa has fallen asleep -- pleasantly close to him, Achkby notices -- the halfling turns to Khazrael. He had been, after all, carrying Evendur's head.

"So, what was that about Elthan killing Evendur? Did a summoning go awry?"
    Huh... what could Elthan summon able to cut off a paladin's head?

[hr]
    As Lissa shifted against him, Achkby smiled. After a little while, he began gently stroking her hair, moving from the (now crooked) part in the top down to the end of her ponytail. When he found his fingers tracing over the spot of her finding rune, though, he quick stopped, and glanced around nervously, wondering if anyone had seen him.

When Lissa suddenly sits up, Achkby recoils sharply, but at her words, gives her his most serene smile.
    "Not a problem," he replies, "It was nice. Er, to be warm, I mean..."
    Last edited by HempRope; 2007-03-23 at 12:41 AM. Reason: see below...
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

23. - Top - End - #53

Fizahn:

Fizahn remains silent as they walk through the tunnels and get into the boats. He keeps as much distance between himself and Elthan as possible. He speaks a little to Thokk while he's walking. "Didn't appreciate my sarcastic comments, huh?Well, I don't appreciate his trying to deliver us all to the vampires. Would it be too harsh to say we should get rid of him now? Also, there's that rune on Lissa's neck. We should see if the mages can do something about that." Fizahn groans as Yix reports the waterfall. Waterfall. What do we do? "Is there any way to get out before we hit the waterfall? Everyone should slow the boats down as much as possible."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Oh no, a waterfall... we're going to have to get out before we hit it. "...what Fizahn said. Does anyone have a grappling hook or something that we could use to grab onto the wall of the tunnel?"
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

25. - Top - End - #55

Tiriel

How are we going to get down from that height? I could carry everyone one by one, but that would take forever...and it's not really safe.

"Oh. I have one, jut a second."
    Tiriel scrounges around in her bag and eventually manages to locate both her grappling hook and a long length of thin rope. She looks at Katrine, "Do you want to throw it or should I? It should be able to catch on the ground, riverbed, whatever."
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-03-23 at 08:29 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark waks to the sounds of increasing aggitation and worry. He streaches from his cramped position and hears his boatmates talking about grarabbing onto walls and catching onto the ground. He addresses Katrin.

"What is wrong? Has someone fallen out?"

It is at this moment he remembers the sword he had left at the top of the stairs in the building. A slight pang of loss gripps him. Afterall it had been a gift from Elistrae.

Kurt

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin accepts the grappling hook and the rope, and begins tying the rope to the hook. She explains briefly to Trinark that according to Yix, there is a large waterfall ahead. "If we could tie the boats together somehow and attach them to the wall of the tunnel, then we could stop them before we went over the waterfall. But we'd still have to get out of here, probably by climbing down... We could do it with ropes again, but we'd need some way to get to the falls in the first place, and then stop safely and get everyone out... any ideas?"
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Why did everything seem to be conspiring against them? Now it was nature! What had he...err...all of them ever done to deserve nature's wrath?! With a snarl the necromancer slammed his open spellbook shut in front of him and stuck it into the belt of his trousers. No way that he was going to let it's precious pages get wet and become ruined.

"Oh come on! Isn't there some way to just..stop the water?!"

29. - Top - End - #59

The walls of the tunnel are smooth and slick, offering little purchase. Gradually you notice that the walls of the passage are getting closer together, seeming to be about 10 feet apart at the moment. The current seems to be picking up speed as it narrows

The rumble intensifies into a roar. Yix seems agitated. We don't have much time!

30. - Top - End - #60

Elthan

Elthan curls in a bit more as the water speeds up. There wasn't anything he could do to save them, and what was worse is that he was reasonably certain he'd come out okay. All but perhaps two of his friends were about to be thrown off a cliff via running water, and he'll get to watch it happen from a safe distance.

It was just too much to bare, to first kill one then watch the rest die from inaction. Elthan stands up in the boat, and grasping the ends of his cape, transforms suddenly into a bat. The bat frantically flaps its way towards the first boat, and upon landing Elthan reappears behind Lumpy to the discomfort of the other three. "Lumpy" he says hurriedly while preparing for a spell, "I want you to jump into the water after I discharge the spell."

If Lumpy says anything, Elthan doesn't listen to it. As soon as he is casting, he gives Lumpy a push, commanding, "Now."

OOC: Casting Enlarge Person. Lumpy will now be a large creature and take up ten feet of space. As the passage narrows, he should block off all of the boats by standing.
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2007-03-24 at 08:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar