New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Tiriel

Tiriel had been surprised but not shocked by Khazrael's return to life. After all there was Evendur...the first time he died, and Trinark... she stops her train of thought once it hits the hollow space that had once been held by her missing companions. She'd never really gotten the chance to know any of them well. Even Si'rene (who, next to Katrine, was the person she'd spent the most time with).
    She mets Khazrael's eyes as he sweeps the room during his speech. She frowns when he gets to the part about "liking" destruction and hurting people. When he finishes she stands up, and walks over to him. For a moment she pauses contemplating him and what she's about to do, but the moment passes.

She grabs him by his upper arm and hauls him to his feet, "We should talk. Then we can both sleep. Come on." She leads him outside, by force if needed.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

2. - Top - End - #662

Khazrael

He stumbles along after Tiriel, still tired from the whole experience.

3. - Top - End - #663

Goblin

Retay, human barbarian

Not lowering his axe, Retay stares after Khazrael.

"We're supposed to believe that?" he mutters. "Drow don't have feathers."

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin stops sulking and starts listening when Khazrael starts talking. After his speech, she quickly begins to sulk again. The parallels with her own life were immediately apparent. She considered following Tiriel to wherever she was going to take Khazrael, but decided to let them be. His claim that he was a kind of demon seemed plausible. She had heard of people who had abyssal ancestry. Most of what she had heard were myths meant to scare children (The Red-Demon-Man eats little children who don't eat their green vegetables!), but she had heard enough first- or second-hand accounts that she believed such people existed. Most were bandits and thieves, hiding from the 'more civilized' people who had rejected them for being different. She pitied them for this, having been in the same situation, but from what she had heard, most of them enjoyed killing and stealing, as Khazrael had confirmed. He's fighting it, though... that's the least he can do. At least he has good intentions... I have good intentions...

Katrin begins pacing around under the outcropping, arms crossed. Khazrael's claim of living among the drow seemed truthful, too, given the scars on his back. Even with her limited experience in the Underdark, she was familiar with the drow mentality, and that the drow would consider Khazrael a curiousity, and later a danger, seemed like something they would do.

Katrin sits down on her bedroll and spends a while trying to figure out if Khazrael was with the drow for the first 10 years of his life, or the second 10 years, to keep her mind off the links she automatically between Khazrael's life and her own...
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-07-07 at 08:25 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

5. - Top - End - #665

Damian

Damian's eyes avert from Katrin's when she glares at him while he's studying her, but his peripheral vision is good enough to continue watching unobserved. When Khazrael begins to go on his long discussion of his heritage, his eyes continue glancing around, watching his former companion's responses.

Khazrael's heritage didn't interest him, other than intellectual curiosity. It's not like he was normal himself, and it's not like his entire life hadn't been filled with people trying to isolate him from society. He still had sneaking suspicions about Tiriel and Tanner as well, so it wasn't as if Khazrael was the only odd one. Still, Damian's lack of knowledge of creatures of the planes bothered him - it's not like Khazrael had been hiding his abilities - just not flouting his nature - and his choice of music distraction should've been a strong hint as well.

It was clear to him now that this group has seen some bizarre things, and several of them weren't exactly normal. He could be in severely dangerous company.

When Tiriel grabs Khazrael and pulls him outside, his self-preservation sense takes over, and he uses their distraction to duck into a shadow and hide within listening distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: yeah, I hate spying on party members, but Damian just would never let this opportunity go.)Hide - (1d20+13)[30]
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #666
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde, Isolated from internet for thirty-four hours.

A little stunned by his "friends'" revealation, he decides to find something to eat and maybe get rid of the headache he suddenly has.
    As he looks for something to eat other than the bugs Khazrael left behind, a thought strikes him, and he looks sideways at Tanner.

Does anybody else have something to reveal?

....Hmm.....Forget it. Where's my waterskin?

He drips some water onto his head to try and get rid of his headache.

I don't like being out of the loop...

OOC: Hi, outsider. Yeah, you, the flying guy. I'm on to you.
    Is everyone here part-something weird except Grynde??
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-07-08 at 02:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #667

Adalmar

Good ol'Adalmar should be dumb-founded by the dark tale weaved by Khazrael. But he's decided that from now on, he would not to be one step behind. So he's mainly thoughtful. Because of the World Below, he knows very little - only fragments of old tales, and they seem hardly believable.

The priest Tanner repeats his offer of healing, so he ends up giving in, and exposes his remaining wounds for his benefactor to heal. He thanks Tanner with a nod and a smile.

Finding the shredded remnants of his blanket, he covers himself as best he can, and goes to sleep wishing for a few uneventful hours of sleep.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

8. - Top - End - #668
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner listens intently to the tale woven by Khazrael. He meets his gaze with kind eyes and a knowing nod but does not interject. When he leaves the shelter with Tiriel, Tanner does not try to stop either but looks to make sure no one else does. He then returns to his work tending the wounded until...

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    Grynde, Isolated from internet for thirty-four hours.

Does anybody else have something to reveal?
    Tanner finishes administering to Adalmar and pats him on the shoulder before turning and facing Grynde. "You seem more out of sorts than normal, Grynde. Is something bothering you? Perhaps an after-effect of the wyrm's trill?" Tanner looks intently at Grynde for a moment and then decides, No - same Grynde...just a bit more irritable and irritating. Tanner smiles at Grynde, "If you would like to know more about me, all you have to do is ask." Tanner's voice grows louder and addresses the others with his gaze as he speaks to all. "I have nothing to reveal other than a minute understanding of Khazrael's plight. I am no expert on outsiders or people for that matter, but I do believe that one should be measured by their heart and their merit. As an outlander to the Rashemi, I wasn't trusted initially. This is no slight on the Rashemi at all," Tanner says looking at Tryntha, "but it is one that I am sure any of us here has done and will continue to do out of experience. Eventually, I became accepted within the Rashemi by remaining true to myself and to those I met, and I am thankful for that. Khazrael has hidden nothing from us and has only spoken truthfully to us - even if it would mean judgement by those here. I have no right to judge, for I am no god - I am simply a humble servant of one. Gond has granted me many great gifts, and I use these to emulate the best that Gond has to offer. Gond is a builder - a creator of things. Relationships are one thing that only we can build, and moments such as these are crucial to making something stronger than adamantine. Now, I cannot tell you how to think or what to feel, but I ask you to put yourselves in Khazrael's position. Think of how he must feel before you make a judgement; think of what you would want if roles were reversed. Then do what you think is right."

Tanner then looks everyone in the eyes again and resumes tending to the wounded before he takes his post on watch.
    Last edited by Darius; 2007-07-07 at 11:39 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #669
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

'Nothing to reveal'? Ch'yeah, and I'm Fenmarel Mestarine. Nobody seems to be normal around here. And nobody's an elf, either. It's like I'm back at home or something.

Sitting down, he reaches into his pack and pulls out a longsword. He begins to examine it's edge, making sure it's still in good condition after it's long stay in his slightly unusual pack.

10. - Top - End - #670

Goblin

Retay, human skeptic

The barbarian finally drops his axe, and retreats to his bedroll. He continues to mutter to himself about the revelation, but seems reluctant to speak up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Tanner Gondsman

"I am no expert on outsiders or people for that matter..."
    "Who brought up outsiders?"

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    "Khazrael has hidden nothing from us and has only spoken truthfully to us - even if it would mean judgement by those here."
    "He didn't even say what he claimed to be, he just chatted about the drow a bit. And having drow blood doesn't explain any of the facts."

Nevertheless, Retay doesn't raise any objection. Following Grynde's example, he examines his famous greataxe for any damage from the battle.

OOC: What? He's a barbarian, he's got low Int.

11. - Top - End - #671

The remainder of the night passes quietly. The remaining dead remain dead.

At first light, a funeral pyre is created. Retay and some others fell nearby evergreens, and the soft wood burns quickly and fiercely.

Tryntha offers a few words for the fallen. Included are the dozens of other caravaners lost in the avalanche and other fellow adventurers who have been lost along the way.

A light snow begins to fall. As soon as possible, the party moves out, accompanied by a single horse. The rangers keep the party moving north. Toward the end of the day, Adalmar announces that you've reached a road.

Stopping in your tracks, you look around, seeing only featureless, flat snow-covered ground all around.

Grynde agrees with Adalmar. He adds a single word, "Immilmar," pointing towards the setting sun ...

OOC: Tiriel and Khazrael (and Damian perhaps) can have their conversation in the Private Conversations thread (in my sig).
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-07-08 at 12:00 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner looks off in the distance and says, "Excellent work! It looks like we have a long road ahead of us. It is probably best if we rest here. I am worried about this snow, however. Not that our fine trackers could not find the trail again, I think we should mark our destination somehow."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Olfacht

"Oh civilization, how daddy misses you..."

14. - Top - End - #674
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Yeah, I bet everyone's real anxious to sleep our here in the cold and freezing, despite what happened last time we tried that.

He looks around at the desolate landscape, then back to the group of people he's beginning to tire of.

Is anyone hungry or in danger of loosing their extremities to the cold? Otherwise we should keep going.
    If we do have a long road ahead of us, it doesn't get any shorter by sleeping, and it'll go a lot slower if we're all minus our toes.

Wait, what am I saying? We'd lose our toes walking anyway.

He looks towards Khazrael, a strange expression on his face, which changes quickly as his confusion turns to anger.

You little prick, you cast a spell on me!!!!

He draws one of his swords and takes several threatening steps.
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-07-10 at 01:31 AM.

15. - Top - End - #675

Khazrael

He smiles at Grynde, quite aware of the proximity of the others.

"A little grumpy, eh? Settle down, you're lucky I didn't fry you on the spot."
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-07-10 at 04:11 AM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Olfacht

"No More Fighting! The sooner we stop bickering, the sooner we can get out of this featureless landscape and maybe, MAYBE find ourselves a nice warm bed to sleep in."

Spoiler
    Show

diplomacy check: 17 + 3 = 20
    Last edited by elliott20; 2007-07-10 at 10:08 AM.

17. - Top - End - #677

Tiriel

Tiriel tries to stay alert as they walk but the landscape is monotonous. Snow, rocks, maybe a bare twig, more snow, oh and more rocks.
    So finding a flat patch of snow that might be a road, while different, doesn't exactly get her excited. What does catch her attention is Grynde shouting at Khazrael.
    Tiriel doesn’t exactly count Khazrael as a friend but his attitude and actions make more sense after last night’s conversation. So she decides to watch the two of them just in case things get out of hand.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

As the morning dawns, those rising find Tryntha out in a small snow-cleared area kneeling. Deep in her prayers she gives thanks to the land for giving her new companion a second chance at a full life.

[ooc] Between Tanner and Tryntha, I'm fairly certain everyone would have been fully healed before resting. [/ooc]

She followed along near the front of the line lending her assistance with the landmarks and whatnot whenever she could. She was anxious to reach Immilmar and deliver the news of this approaching army.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Fry me on the spot? You're really lucky all these other people are here, or I'd cut you down where you stand.

Sheathing his sword, he walks away from Khazrael, aware that a number of eyes are watching him.

Bloody stupid magicians...I'll show them...Useless...
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-07-10 at 06:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #680

Damian

Walking near the front of the group, the bickering between Grynde and Khazrael barely makes him glance back, just for a moment. Just the slightest hint of a grin crosses his face when Olfacht jumps between them, and he glances back to the others as night begins to fall.

"If I can interrupt the entertainment for a moment... if we're going to find a place to stop for the night, we should start doing that soon. Then, Grynde, you can start challenging the guy who just came back from the dead. Plus, I could use some food."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Matticus View Post
    Grynde

You little prick, you cast a spell on me!!!!

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner walks to Grynde. He speaks to him softly in hopes that their conversation doesn't escalate the situation, "Grynde - what is this you are talking about? I had cast spells on you - healing spells and the elemental endurance - and you didn't behave in this way. At any rate, this is not helping our chances of survival. My spells are taxed, and Tyrntha is not an endless fountain of healing. The sooner we get to our destination, the sooner you can be rid of him and us. Can you do this, or is there going to be a problem?"
    Last edited by Darius; 2007-07-11 at 08:35 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

22. - Top - End - #682

Turning to the west, you trudge onward wearily through the night.

The temperature dips down even lower once the sun has set. Even the magical rations and warmth only serve to take the edge off of the misery. Tempers flare as the cold, hunger, and lack of sleep take their toll on your bodies.

The moon is hidden behind a layer of clouds, making it difficult to see where the snowy fields end and the horizon begins.

Weapons are kept at hand in case of danger, but the night passes uneventfully.

With your fingers, toes, and minds numbed by the piercing chill, it takes a while to notice the lightening of the sky behind you. Dawn almost catches you by surprise, the rays of sunlight casting long shadows before you. The sky has cleared. It looks like it is going to be a sunny day.

Occasionally, the rangers point out small stone markers, poking through the snow, which confirm that you are on the road to Immilmar.

Around mid-day, Adalmar raises a hand, stopping you in your tracks. Silently he points ahead. A large, pure-white wolf stands several hundred yards away in the center of the road. It observes you carefully, its ears pricked forward attentively. The party's lone horse snorts and stomps uneasily.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-07-11 at 04:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #683

Tiriel

"Don't any of you even think of attacking it until it makes a move first." Tiriel says loud enough for the entire group to hear.
    And thank the gods that Callos isn't here. He almost got all of us killed last time we saw wolves... I hope he's okay where ever he is, the bastard.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-07-11 at 12:58 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

Olfacht

He leans in slowly to Tiriel and whisper, "so umm... what do we do exactly? Do we.... do we throw something for it to eat?"

25. - Top - End - #685

Tiriel

"No we don't throw anything at it. We wait for it to leave and if that doesn't work then..." She'd been about to suggest that the lizardman druid talk to it, forgetting that they'd been forced to leave him in the cavern.
    "Well there's got to be someone here that could try talking to it." She finishes rather lamely.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The Rashemi woman looked on with concern at the lone white wolf. She knew wolves usually ran in packs. Thinking back to her experiences in the wilderness, she tries to think if she knew of anything specific about this kind of white wolf.

Survival - (1d20+7)[16]

"I do think we have quite a few woodsman here with us, perhaps one of them is skilled at handling animals. If not, I have a small amount of skill with the creatures local to these lands, and if necessary I have a scroll that would let me communicate with the wolf. But it is my only one and I would prefer to preserve it for perhaps a time of greater need."

27. - Top - End - #687
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Huh. You don't see one of those everyday.

No worries. It's just a wolf. I don't reckon anyone should make any sudden moves, but if it does go hostile, make yourself look big. Still...I can calm an animal, no worries. Give me a couple of minutes and I could be petting it and having it lick my face, like some kind of puppy.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

He frowns as his horse becomes uneasy.

"Shhh...settle Norwyn. What's the problem?"

He says as he eyes the wolf suspiciously.

Spoiler
    Show

Handle Animal - (1d20+6)[8]
    1st roll is Knowledge (nature); 2nd roll is Knowledge (arcana) (1d20+7=12, 1d20+4=24)

Handle animal is, of course, to settle my companion down.
    Nature is to find out if there's anything off about the wolf, arcana is if there's anything magic about it.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Kevka Palazzo; 2007-07-11 at 11:25 PM.

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

29. - Top - End - #689

Goblin

Retay, human barbarian

Hardly speaking throughout the trek, Retay's habits do not change now. As with the frost worm, he draws a bow and arrows from his pack, although this time he does not move to nock an arrow.

30. - Top - End - #690

Khazrael

Khazrael frowns at the canine, then decides to mumble a few strange words and wave his hand.

"These things don't hunt alone, right? What's it doing out here?"

((OOC: Detect Magic, looking at the wolf))
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-07-12 at 06:14 AM.