New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Tiriel

What the hell!! As Tiriel witnesses Elthan's transformation the she feels the bottom drops out of her stomach. Just what is this man? Is he a vampire as well now? Well whatever he's doing, it doesn't seem harmful...yet.

"Yix! How far are we from the mouth? And is there any dry land near it? A large rock or a ledge, anything?!"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

2. - Top - End - #62

Khazrael

Khazrael's exhuasted body finally reacts to the slow panic rising in his addled brain. His heart begins to race and he lurches forward into a standing position. His body begins to shake and he once again undergoes a subtle transformation, his legs bow out and he drops to a crawling position.

He crawls forward and rests an arm on Adalmar briefly, who briefly feels himself undergoing a similar change. He casts his gaze to the two smaller passengers and with a sigh of regret, briefly touches Akhby's arm, sending the little sorcerer into a brief spasm as his body accomodates the change.

His touch moves to Lissa and he closes his eyes, but she feels nothing. The cold hand grips tight enough to hurt a bit as the sorcerer turns his focus deeper inward, but the spell does not come forth. He steadies himself and slowly opens his brilliant blue eyes.

"I'm tapped out, I can't...the magic's all gone. Look, if nobody can figure anything out, everyone get to a wall. As long as your hands are free, you can climb like a fly. Lissa, I'm sorry, but maybe Adalmar can hold you on his back. If you have some rope, you could maybe make a harness or something. I might be able to help hold you up, but I'm not..."

...I'm not worth a drop of blood in hades if I can't get us out of this one.

He starts coughing and sinks to a seated position, looking drawn and clammy. His hands grip the side of the boat and he prepares to jump as soon as it's apparent that he'll have to.

((OOC: Casting an extended spider climb on myself, and using my remaining two second level slots to spider climb Adalmar and Akhby. Sorry Lissa, but I don't think Adalmar could support Akhby's weight, and if I can save all four of us, I've got to try.))

"Funny thing, I STILL wouldn't call this the worst day of my life."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa doesn't need to be told twice. She pulls a length of silk rope out of her pack, puts the pack on, and proceeds to tie the rope around her waist and shoulders. An improvised harness, just as Khazrael suggested. "Okay Adalmar, I'm going to tie the other end of this around your waist, then climb aboard. Again. Hopefully we won't need the rope." Her knots aren't terribly complicated, but it looks like they should do the job. Rope tied, Lissa climbs onto the ranger's back, arms clasped around his chest bandolier-style and legs locked around his waist. "Let me know when you're going to jump so I can brace myself. And... sorry you're getting stuck with the pack-mule job. I'm really not doing this on purpose."

OOC: No worries Koji, I know Lissa's the lightest one in this boat.
    Use Rope:[roll]1d20+5[/roll]
    EDIT: Ohhkay, what's up with the dice roller?

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Phasm; 2007-03-25 at 12:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

4. - Top - End - #64

Tiriel

Realizing that she may suddenly have to catch someone if something goes wrong, Tiriel takes off her cold weather gear and shoves it into her pack. She reluctantly realizes that she should take off her chain mail as well.

Tiriel takes off her cold weather gear, armor, sword, bow, etc... placing them into her bag of holding. She can now carry 130 lbs of weight while flying.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-03-25 at 09:40 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy unslings bow and guisarme and shove it next to his pack and the saddle bags he'd collected. If the weapons survived the fall, he might recover them, but more important was being free to move right now.

The half-orc begins scanning the tunnel they're flowing down. Was it wide enough to wedge a boat in crossways? It might by them some time to figure out a way to ferry themselves down safely. Experimentally, he uses an oar to judge the passage's width and the rowboat's length. He had to get it right though. Too short and they'd simply capsize and go down the falls without the benefit of even the boat's protection.

((OOC

If the tunnel looks to be less wide than the boat is long, Lumpy will try to use the oar to turn his boat and wedge it in place. I'm going to assume he's in the first boat.
    ))

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby looks to Khazrael gratefully. "Th-thank you. Er... wi-will it h-hold against the, the current?" he stutters nervously.
    Maybe they won't notice. Or they'll think my teeth are just chattering from the cold.

At the other sorcerer's last comment, Achkby tries to regain grasps for some remnant of his already tenuous and rapidly vanishing claim to bravery.
    "I wouldn't call this the worst day of the trip," he says with a raised eyebrow and an (admittedly brief) grin.
    And that's the truth.
    Last edited by HempRope; 2007-03-25 at 08:35 PM.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

7. - Top - End - #67

Khazrael

He chuckles as he hears the halfling's concerned question.

"Absolutely not. The current will rip you off the wall and throw you straight into whatever's below. We all need to stay out of the water."

8. - Top - End - #68

Adalmar

He notices Elthan's transformation out of the corner of one eye. Told them - you can't restrain mages this easily.

Khazrael's touch causes a wave of cold and a wave of heat to run through his body in short succession. He is surprised by the gesture, as if he didn't think the sorcerer had that in him. Or because he didn't expect to be chosen. He has a grateful look. Never underestimate your fellow humans. And those others have been in the Underdark !

He hurriedly gets rid of as much gear as possible, stashing it in his haversack. He takes out a rope, and ties it around his waist. He decides to carry the haversack on the front, to counterbalance Lissa's weight.

He starts steering the boat to the left wall. He lets Khaz and Achkby leave first, then proposes : "If one of you feels strong enough, he can hold one end of this rope and make it to the other side of the tunnel via the ceiling. If we can slow the boats down, we'll give the others some purchase. However, if you don't feel like you can hang to it, let go of it. We are done for if we fall in those currents." His tone is grim, and his features are drawn with tiredness.

Mielikki, lend me strength.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

Trinark gathers from the flurry of activity going on arround him that the others are trying to stop the boat. He also notes the increased pace of the water beneath them. He quickly comes to the logical conclusion: danger ahead. he casts arround him for his scaley friend, suspecting him to be in more danger than the others. Glad to find his friend safely out of the water he starts to worry about his own safety. People seemed to be considering abandoning the boats and he knew he couldn't swim well with what he was carrying.

"Tiriel, is there a place for my armor within your magic bag?" he says, removing it with all the swiftness he could muster. Even if she had no room, he would choose his life over the armor. Only a fool would throw his life away for valuables.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

10. - Top - End - #70

Tiriel

"I think so. Go ahead and try, but don't force it."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

11. - Top - End - #71

Katrin grabs the rope and attaches the grappling hook.

Yix zips ahead into the darkness, then all too quickly reappears. The waterfall is just ahead. No ledges. No rock. Just a long drop!

Many of you start to frantically stuff your gear into any available haversack. The sound of the waterfall rises to a near-deafening roar.

Elthan transforms into a bat and flaps to the lead boat, where Lumpy is trying to turn the boat perpindicular to the current. The half-orc grunts in displeasure when Elthan transforms back into his half-elf form, but is too busy trying to wedge the boat against the stone walls to notice when Elthan touches his shoulder.

Lumpy grows to enormous size before he realizes what has happened, almost capsizing the lead rowboat. Having no choice, the enormous warrior stumbles out of the boat into the swift current.

Wedging his body against the walls, floor, and ceiling simultaneously, manages to keep himself from being swept away. The four boats pile up against him, each boat tilting crazily. The rear two boats tip upward and begin to fill with water.

Khazrael leaps to the ceiling, clinging to the slick stone like a spider. Achkby joins him, shivering from the cold (or from fear, perhaps). Adalmar also leaps to a wall, Lissa strapped to his chest like a swaddled baby.

Tiriel and Trinark crouch in the lead boat. Aeroz and Fizahn clamber into the second, joining Thokk. Aeroz fishes a ring from one of his pockets and slips it on.

The lizardman and Callos struggle in the water, trying to hang on to the capsized boats, both to stay afloat and to keep from being washed away.

The weight of the four boats and the rapidly flowing stream press against Lumpy. Despite his half-orc's best efforts, the flotsam begins to push Lumpy backward.

Yix flaps about frantically. End of the line! End of the line!
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-03-26 at 11:49 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy didn't bother chastising or even offering comment to Elthan. There wasn't time, and he knew well enough to get off the boat when he started growing. He'd just have to kill the sorcerer later, was all.

There was almost a giddy sort of power to revel in with his increased size. He'd never been tall, and it was a feeling he'd have liked to enjoyed in less pressing circumstances. For now, he wedges his near ton of weight into the passage. his gauntles scrape and squeal against the edges of the passage in hopes of finding some unseen grasp. His boots, hobnails now the size of quarters, likewise scrabble against the floor beneath the rusing water.. Even his neck cords up in effort as he forces his scalp against the ceiling, leaving a bloody streak as he is inexoriably forced backwards.

He knew he was slipping, there was nothing he could do to stop it. He could only hang on,

"Everyone inta the first boat if ya can. Ain't njothing gonna stop us from going over now!"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin's boat abruptly tilts and she grabs onto the side to stop herself falling out. She throws her weight against the high side of the boat to try to stop it from completely capsizing. "Tiriel--help me right the boat!" At the same time, she looks desperately around for some place in the tunnel to secure the grappling hook.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix flies around frantically hoping that everyone thing will turn out okay. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Yix asks urgently

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

"Sonuva...!" was all that he managed to squeeze out before his boat went over to the wrong size and he was tossed into the water. Already shivering and sputtering with the cold as he struggled to stay afloat in the water and hang unto the boat. And what did he do while he was doing this? Pull out a rope! Of course he had a plan for the rope but it wasn't exactly a great one either.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #76

Khazrael

The only thing Khazrael's mind allows itself to focus on is the feel of the cold, slick stone against his palms. He shudders against the ceiling and slowly creeps forward, blocking the terror below out of his perception. He looks out past the falls, struck by the beauty of the place even as he searches for anything his companions beneath him can use to save themselves.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

((This is basically an addendum to my last post))

The necromancer scrambled back into the rapidly filling one and did as Lumpy asked, scrambling to the very first one. Once there though he was far from idle. Instead he held one hand over the rope clutched in the other and began to chant softly. Like the charlatans in the big cities the rope rose up into the air until it looked as if it was affixed to the ceiling of the cave and the necromancer was quick to begin scurrying up it.

"C'mon! This space will keep seven others besides myself self for about six hours before it collaspes. ONLY SEVEN! Even Lumpy can get in here. We'll have plenty of time to work on things during the time so come on!" He exclaimed, looking much like a mad man...until he disappeared at the end of Lissa's borrowed rope...

((To those who do go in...))

It lead up into a gray empty space with a window peering back out to were the rope had lead them from, and Callos sat down with a huff.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

Balls... Well, looks like we don't have much of a choice, unless we use that hole place to ferry people back and forth for the time bein...

The dwarf looks around for a second before hurrying over to the rope. He then turns around and motions to Fizahn and Aeroz

C'mon lads, we gotta get up here before the half breed can let go and clamber up himself

19. - Top - End - #79

Tiriel

Tiriel helps Katrine into one of the boats that's still upright before extending a hand out to druid and helping him aboard. "I don't know what he did, but everyone should get the rope and join Callos. I'll go with Yix and try to find a way to get everyone out of here."

Once everyone's out of danger, and the water, Tiriel will ride the boat until she's able to take to the air.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

20. - Top - End - #80

Lizardman Druid

As the boat flips and Callos plunges to the otherside, Ssathiya allows himself to submerge and dives for the bottom of the channel.

Swimming downward, he sinks his claws into the ground and begins to pull himself to the side away from the current. His body somersaults as his hands anchor him down and his head faces the oncoming current. Keeping his body low on the bed, he claws his way from the center. Occasionally his grip comes loose but he grabs hold and continues moving.

OOC: he will emerge when he is against a wall.
    Swim: 10,16 (Rolls=9,15 +7-6) I dunno if this is rough or stormy. if it's rough and i'm allowed to take 10, i will.
    Strength checks: 20, 4, 20, 8 (Rolls=18,2,18,6 +2)
    Hold breath:64 rounds
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

21. - Top - End - #81

Elthan

At once, the half-elf slumps back in the boat in relief. The stop was not as smooth as he had hoped, but everyone, with Callos' and Tiriels assistance, should be able to be safely taken down the fall. All he had to do now was wait for everyone to enter Callos' dimensional creation and then enjoy a nice ride down current with Tiriel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

22. - Top - End - #82

Aeroz

Heeding Callos' advice without his usual comment, Aeroz makes his way to the rope and climbs down into the safe area that the necromancer created.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

23. - Top - End - #83

Adalmar

"Khazrael, how long does this spell last ?" The answer goes some way towards reassuring him.

He repeats over and over to Lissa who is clutching him tightly. "It will be fine. It will be fine..."

When he realizes it is becoming more of a jabber, he stops.

Finally admitting, however disheartedly, that he can't do anything more for the remaining boats, he goes to the end of the tunnel and slowly starts the descent. He refuses to look down - he has never been one for heights. Though he tries to keep an eye out in case Achkby or Khazrael need help.

24. - Top - End - #84

Khazrael, Achkby, and Adalmar (carrying Lissa) scuttle past Lumpy towards the opening just past him. Clinging to the walls, they watch the water cascade downward into the darkness. The roar of the waterfall is deafening. The effect is both awe inspiring, disorienting, and terrifying.

Lumpy grits his teeth as he presses his limbs and neck against the slick rock as hard as he can, fighting the current for every inch. His efforts allow Katrin and Tiriel to stabilize the lead boat, which in turns gives Callos the chance to clamber aboard and create his rope trick.

The necromancer climbs up into the extradimensional space, followed one by one by Thokk, Trinark, Aeroz, and Elthan. Down below, Tiriel nods, and Katrin grabs the rope and joins the others.

Elthan pokes his head out of the sanctuary and makes eye contact with Lumpy and Tiriel in turn. He nods, then dispels the spell enlarging the half-orc. As Lumpy shrinks, he grabs on to the rope with one hand. The boats shudder, then accelerate over the precipice, plunging to their destruction.

Tiriel, left alone in the lead boat, steps off of its prow into empty space just as it tips over the edge of the waterfall. Calmly, she extends her wings and soars into the vast cavern beyond. Yix flies by her side, his tail flicking from side to side with pleasure.

Lumpy watches Tiriel sail off safely into the darkness, then climbs hand over hand up into Callos' little hideaway. He takes a quick headcount. There are seven people in the magic sanctuary, four of you clinging to the walls at the tunnel's end, and Tiriel and Yix are flying safely. He double checks his count then asks, "Where's the lizardman?"
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-03-31 at 09:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Tiriel

After leaving the boats Tiriel spends a moment simply enjoying the freedom that flying gives her. It had been quite sometime since she'd had an opportunity to just relax, for even a moment, with her feet off the ground.

Seeing Yix gently reminds her that others are waiting on here. With a small sigh she starts examining her surroundings hoping to find some dry land.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

26. - Top - End - #86

Khazrael

Khazrael skitters down the sheer wall alongside the waterfall, keeping his distance to avoid both the cold water and the threat of it dislodging him.
    He scans the area constantly, looking for any sort of shelf or ledge on which to rest. He cautiously eyes the space just before the drop as he edges away from it, wondering what will become of his friends if no solution is found.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

Yix flaps his wings lazily, looking around for a place to relax for a bit. This night was bringing to much excitement for this small dragon.

28. - Top - End - #88

Tiriel soars through the darkness. She is the party's only source of light. In the otherwise complete darkness, it is difficult to maintain a sense of scale, and at times she appears to be as small as a firefly.

Even those with darkvision have difficulty making out the limits of the chamber. Tiriel and Yix make an aerial survey and discover that the entire gallery appears to be an underground canyon carved by the rushing water.

The tunnel opening is an irregular diamond shape in a tall but narrow rock wall.

The ceiling of the cave lies about 50 feet above the waterfall opening and is made up of stalactites and curtains of rock. The chamber floor lies 200 feet below and is an irregular "V" in cross-section with scattered stalagmites further creating complex terrain.

The valley seems to stretch indefinitely into the distance with the stream, having reformed down below, wending its way east once again.

Tiriel spots a flat, open space down below, far enough away from the waterfall's base to be dry and relatively quiet. She hovers at the top of the waterfall, but the roar of the crashing water is too loud, and she can't make herself heard.

Instead, Yix uses his telepathic abilities to update the party members, serving as a link between those in the rope trick sanctuary and those clinging to the wet rock.

Quickly the news spreads: The lizardman is missing ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-03-31 at 06:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Adalmar

Before he started on the long way down, a quick glance at Thokk climbing a rope and disappearing informed him that they were mostly safe. It became easier to go down - no lingering sensation of having betrayed companions.

In the darkness, he has to be even more careful. Luckily, it seems the wall is very smooth - no unexpected ledges - so that the spell is enough.

He thinks back to Yix : "He is not with us."

30. - Top - End - #90

Khazrael

Knowing he can't be heard over the din of the waterfall, he instead tries pushing his thoughts back to the little dragon, trying to communicate as it does.

He was in the water, did he go over, or is he still up there?

He glances up to the top of the waterfall, then down towards the bottom.

If Raskoruran is at the top, he is holding on and may need help to get down. If he's at the bottom, he is dead or dying.

Those outside of the shelter can barely make out Khazrael as he swarms down the sheer wall, determined to locate the Lizardkin.