New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Tanner Gondsman

Tanner turns to his companions that helped save Olfacht and says, "I am going to take him to the door. Fight your way to the others and marshal there if you can. May Gond be with you!" Flying with the innert form of Olfacht, Tanner heads for the door. He throws a ball of flame at a ghoul or ghast as he goes.

Spoiler
    Show

Ranged Touch Attack - (1d20+9)[26]
    Fire Damage - (1d6+6)[10]

When he lands, he says to Damian, "Steal one of my healing spells and use it on him if he lives."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

2. - Top - End - #872
    Barbarian in the Playground

Damian

Damian's eyes widen as the figure along the wall takes aim at Lissa, Achkby, and Desmona. Oh, damn, this is going from bad to worse, very fast. He spins and takes aim, firing his crossbow, and calling out at the same time. Acrobatics and hiding - that, he could handle. But his talents never included climbing - not without aid, and his climbing kit was buried under several tons of snow.

[COLOR="Blue]"Tanner! Anika! We've got other problems! Someone's on the ridge, and they don't like us either!"[/COLOR]

His eyes watch as the crossbow bolt flies, hoping it strikes well. Luck would be useful right now. It certainly seems to have left them in recent times.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+9)[19] (Damage - (1d8)[1] - if the creature isn't undead - ha! - and can't see me, sneak attack damage might apply. If so, Damian's going to sacrifice 1d6 damage to try to take any spell-like ability (random, max 2nd level), and 1d6 to try to take any spells (random, max 3rd level).

When Tanner lands beside him with Olfacht, he's slightly surprised. His opinion of Olfacht's likely survival is low, however, and Tanner's suggestion surprises him. Still - he's a cleric. He has to hope for his survival. "Fine - just wait a moment until I gather myself. In the meantime," he points to the walkway, "we've got other company. You aim for him. I'll watch over Olfacht while he's still breathing."

"This is a trap, Tanner. A serious trap, and I don't think the others realize it. This isn't the time to be heroic. It's the time to flee."
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #873
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Without pausing to think, he hacks and stabs again at another ghoul, doing his level best to slay it. Again.

Spoiler
    Show

"Attack 1" - (1d20+9)[28] (Threat Check: 1d20+9=22)
    "Attack 2" - (1d20+9)[12]
    "Attack 3" - (1d20+4)[16]
    "Attack 4" - (1d20+4)[7]
    "Damage" - (1d6+4)[7]
    "Damage" - (1d6+4)[10]
    "Damage" - (1d6+3)[4]
    "Damage" - (1d6+3)[7]
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-08-08 at 06:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #874

Goblin

Retay, madman with a big axe

As Olfacht is rescued by the incredible flying cleric, Retay exercises all the tactical intelligence his sane mind posesses, and begins to move back towards the others. He continues to slash at any ghouls that approach him.

His face is disfigured by a ferocious snarl, but the fact that he is slowly retreating is evidence that he is keeping his rage under control... mostly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another full attack, while tactically retreating.
    Attack 1 - (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage - (1d12+5)[6]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+6)[14]
    Damage - (1d12+5)[14]

5. - Top - End - #875

The small intruder grunts as Damian's crossbow bolt strikes him in the shoulder. He murmurs something inaudible before yelling out in common, "QUIT JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS YOU LOUSY PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A GNOME-OID! I'M EVIL BECAUSE I'M OBVIOUSLY SHOOTING AT ACHKBY. THERE DEFINITELY AREN'T ANY GHOULS NEAR HIM OR ANYTHING!" Even over the shouted distance, the sarcasm is very noticeable.

The small man ducks behind a post, trying to take cover from Damian. At the same time, he fires his own crossbow towards Lissa, Achkby, and Desmona, striking a ghoul in the back. Lissa's face lights up in recognition, "FIZAHN!!!" she shouts back.

Grynde, Retay and Khazrael begin fighting their way towards the main gates. Working together, they manage to destroy another three ghouls before the undead can get their claws on them. They keep their backs to each other, forming an efficient triangle.

Tiriel, Faluil, and Adalmar also form an effective team. Tiriel's sword cleaves another ghoul in half before burying itself in its neighbor. That ghoul barely has time to open its mouth to hiss before Faluil splits its head in two down the middle. Adalmar protects their backs, fending off the ghouls as best he can without letting them get their claws on him.

Damian keeps his eyes on the intruder even as Tanner swoops down, carrying the still frozen body of Olfacht. The fight appears to be going well in that the ghouls seem unable to break through his companions' defenses, but the ghouls still have the advantage of numbers, swarming up out of the ground like ants.

6. - Top - End - #876

Adalmar

He continues to sidle slowly towards the exit with his group, careful to leave them some room for their wider swings. "Good job ! Go on !" he offers as a poor but well-meant attempt to hearten them.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+6)[14] (1d8+2)[8]
    (1d20+1)[15] (1d8+2)[10]

Still on the defensive.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

7. - Top - End - #877

Fizahn:

Still grumbling about the attacker, Fizahn reloads his crossbow and fires again. "Maybe I jumped to conclusions. Maybe he's really the enemy. He could have made a set up. Led everyone here, so the ghouls could ambush him. Now he's trying to off me before I help anyone. I don't think that's very nice. Damn the not subtle intrigues of the larger gnome-oids."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage - (1d6)[5]
    And I don't think I ever gave you initiative.
    Init - (1d20+3)[21]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

8. - Top - End - #878

Damian

Oh, my luck's just getting better and better, now isn't it? Damian's voice raises in pitch, clearly losing control for a moment. The gnome's rancor is exactly what he didn't need. "How was I supposed to know that? Clear a path for them back to the entrance!"

Still grumbling, his eyes flash over Tanner, seemingly looking for something that Tanner can't see. He reaches a hand out, and bizarrely touches Tanner on his right elbow. A surge of energy flows through him, and his grey eyes flare with a milky white, with slight golden sparkles. "I've got him. Go. Apparently the short one is supposed to be a friend of ours."

A grim frown crosses Damian's face as he looks down at Olfacht. He glances over the ravaged body, looking for any signs of life as he pulls back the lever on his crossbow and loads a new bolt.

(ooc: taking lesser vigor from Tanner.)
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

"Thank you, Damian," Tanner says as he looks down at Olfacht. "If he doesn't live, strip him of his gear and destroy his corpse, for it will return as one of them."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

10. - Top - End - #880

Khazrael

Khazrael weaves a familiar pattern and fires another purple flash of lightning from his outstretched hands.

((OOC:
    6d6=26, reflex DC 16 for half. Trying to hit as many ghouls as possible.))

11. - Top - End - #881

Damian draws healing energy from Tanner, but even as he does so, he senses that it is far too late for Olfacht.

Khazrael clears a path towards the gate with a lightning bolt, incinerating a half dozen ghouls at once. Retay and Grynde cut their way forward until all three have reached the gate.

Faluil, Tiriel, and Adalmar also force their way towards the exit. The ghouls are no match for their skill and/or armor.

The Rashemi too fight their way to the gates, dragging their paralyzed brother with them.

Only Desmona, Lissa, and Achkby are left inside, their backs to one of the fort's corners. Fizahn provides supporting fire from the walkway, but there are too many ghouls converging on the same area for the bolt to make much difference.

12. - Top - End - #882

Khazrael

Khazrael pants heavily and stops to catch his breath.

"Hey, we can get 'em surrounded now. Let's get back in there!"

Almost as an afterthought, he sends another trio of magic missiles streaking toward the ghouls.

((OOC: 3d4+3=14))

13. - Top - End - #883

Fizahn:

Fizahn curses some more in Gnomish as he sees his friends cornered by the ghouls. Desperately looking around, he shouts an order to Tanner. "Flying man! Rescue Lissa. Where's Tiriel? We need her to rescue Achkby!" I hope that other one can stand alone for a while. He releases another bolt towards the ghouls. For that matter, where are Thokk, Ssathiya, Callos, Lumpy, Aeroz, Elthan, (well no, not really Elthan, traitor) and Katrin? Someone needs to do some explaining, and if flying man doesn't move his butt the only two that actually know me are going to die. "Lissa, don't worry! I'm trying to get that flying person to save you and Achkby! I'm hoping he's smart enough to understand common! I'm not really sure though."

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+9)[14]
    Damage - (1d6)[3]
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

14. - Top - End - #884

Damian

With Tanner heading off (presumedly), Damian sighs and looks down at Olfacht. He briefly checks him over for signs of life, and then rapidly searches him over, taking anything of value from the body. His eyes flare blue briefly as he uses his arcane sense, stripping Olfacht of anything which emits a magical aura.

The movement of people to the outside catches his eyes, and he hurries his efforts. He was out of time. Very out of time.

(ooc: note, if he actually sees any ghouls approaching him, he'll grab what he can and bolt.)
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #885

Adalmar

Undecided as to whether he should jump back into the fray, he looks to others for guidance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Away for the WE - taking a plane.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Well, that was fun he says, with the air of someone who has just played a nice game of cards. Anybody want seconds, or are we ready for dessert?
    He seems undecided as to whether he should backtrack and re-kill some more ghouls, or run away again.
    'Ere, are we all buggering off? That'd make the second good scrap we'd've missed, y'know, and that's just a couple too many...
    You got the right idea, demonboy, let's get back out there!

And with that he moves towards the nearest ghoul and takes several stabs at it.
    Spoiler
    Show

We've still got ghouls around us, right? And they're within a five-foot-step and five-foot-reach? 'Cos that's neato...
    Attack 1: 22 for 6 damage
    Attack 2: 15 for 6 damage
    Attack 3: 27 for 5 damage
    Attack 4: 14 for 5 damage

Last edited by Matticus; 2007-08-11 at 05:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #887

Tiriel

While making her way to the gate Tiriel catches a glimpse of a hoard of ghouls converging on what looks like Desmona, Lissa, and Ackby. She glances back and forth between the relative safety of the gate and the three in need of a rescue. With a mental, "Ah screw it!" she changes directions and heads toward the ghouls, catching bits and pieces of a familiar voice shouting something about "flying man" and her name. The rest is gibberish to her.

When she gets within thirty feet of the nearest ghoul Tiriel's glamor breaks as she takes flight. A large pair of white wings propel her into the air above the reach of the ghouls and towards Desmona et. all. If she can safely land near them she'll do so, pick up Lissa and Achkby and ferry them to safety leaving Desmona to Tanner. If not, then she'll try to work out a way to pick them up one at a time and place them on the walkway near Fizahn.

ooc:
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #888
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

Once the ranger makes it out of the ghouls' grasps, he turns aghast at his comrades' desire to stay.

"Fools! We sprung the trap and survived! There may be too many to fight now! We need to run!"

He brings his greatsword up, however, ready to come to the assistance of any of his fellow warriors.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Defensive, basically

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

19. - Top - End - #889

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Pleased that most of the group will make it to safety, Tanner smile fades as he realizes that three of the group still remain inside. Without a moment's hesitation, he takes wing again and heads to the trio trapped inside. Throwing down a fiery bolt at a ghoul nearest his quarry, he is suprised at the white winged form of Tiriel flash below that picks up two of the three he was hoping to help. "Thank Gond," Tanner says as he is relieved to know that he does not need to make the difficult decision of which of the three to save over the others.

He says, "Your hand Des! Give me your hand!" as he reaches down to fly her to safety.

Spoiler
    Show

Ranged Touch Attack - (1d20+10)[18]
    Fire Damage - (1d6+6)[11]

Vitals:
    AC 19
    Fort Save: +9
    42 HP
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

20. - Top - End - #890
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika quickly realizes that the situation with the ghouls is much worse than she had expected, since the ghouls had surrounded the party.
    When Damian shouts at her to watch the ridge her heart sinks. She is sure there must be some sort of cleric forcing the ghouls to attack them. As if they need any coercion... When she hears Fizahn's voice, however, she is greatly relieved.

Anika trys to help clear a pathway for her friends to exit the fort.

(OOC: Attack Roll (1d20+8=14)
    Damage (1d8=2)
    Reload crossbow.)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

21. - Top - End - #891

Tiriel's transformation is startling to those who have not witnessed it before. Majestic white wings appear to sprout from her back. Her blond hair and comely visage shine as brightly as her armor. The ghouls pull back slightly as she swoops down and scoops up Achkby and Lissa under her arms, like small children.

Tanner lowers himself to the ground, his fur cape billowing about him with a life of its own. Desmona allows her chain to wrap itself about her shoulders and torso. Tossing her jet black hair out of her face, she grabs a hold of Tanner, clinging tightly as he rises back into the air, out of harms way.

The ghouls gnash their teeth in frustration, clawing at the air as their quarry escapes.

Seeing Achkby and Lissa rescured, Fizahn trots lightly along the upper walkway, before shimmying down the outside of the wall joining the others outside the main gate.

Having pushed your way out of the fort, you now have the ghouls bottled up inside the wooden walls. The Rashemi form a shoulder-to-shoulder barrier of grim faces and axes. They are frustrated to have left their fallen brethren behind, but the captain holds them at the gate.

Grynde recklessly steps forward, whirling about, slashing wildly with both swords. He cuts down another ghoul and pierces another through its open mouth. The tip of his blade exits through the back of its skull.

Having left the safety of the Rashemi phalanx, however, Grynde is easily surrounded. Five ghouls press forward from his front and both flanks. He fends them off as best he can, but two of the ghouls manage to grab a hold of his wrists. One clamps its jaws down on his forearm. The other sinks its fangs into his neck ...

OOC: Grynde takes a total of 8 damage and needs to make two DC 12 Fort saves.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-13 at 10:05 AM.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

His first instinct was to rush into the fray and save Grynde...but that would have been stupid. While ineffective compared to his sword, his bow would have the advantage in this situation.

He replaced his sword in its sheath and drew his bow, nocking an arrow as he went.

Damn undead abominations *grumble grumble*

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

23. - Top - End - #893

Fizahn:

Fizahn jumps at Tiriel's transformation. There she is. Can't believe I didn't see her. I'm never going to get used to that. He grins as he joins the main group at the gate. As Fizahn gets closer, you are able to notice how battered his appearance is. He is wearing a jacket that appears to have, at one point, been very fine. It's original color was green with gold trimming, but it now has brown mud stains covering it. There is a gaping hole in the right side of it revealing equally battered and mud stained chain armor. A crossbow bolt protrudes from his side. His black trousers and boots are also rough and tattered. There are a good deal of scars on his face, some just barely avoiding his piercing brown eyes. His red hair was cut short at one point, but has grown wildly and it is obvious he hasn't shaved in a while. Out of place compared to the rest of his equipment is an ornate wave blade dagger that appears to have seen little use. "They're rescued everyone. We should get out-" His grin fades as he sees Grynde get himself surrounded. "Or, we could rescue him. Do we really need to rescue him? Stupid arrogant, ignorant, foolish, pathetic excuse for a gnome-oid!" Sighing, he fires his crossbow at one of the ghouls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage - (1d6)[6]

I would just like to pretend for a moment that undead aren't immune to critical hits to make me feel better about Fizahn, and while I'm pretending that, I might as well pretend he's within 30 ft. and they're not immune to sneak attack either.
    Doubles the damage yay!
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-13 at 12:08 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

[ooc] Sorry, didnt have time to post at all while at the conference in Vegas, back now. [/ooc]

Tryntha had been caught up in the tactical retreat of her kinsman, never quite having enough time to enact another spell or bring her will to bear against them. Now, as a swarm came out of the fort and surrounded Grynde, she stepped up behind the rashemi wall of axes and anger and unleashed another wave of holy energy towards the ghouls.

Spoiler
    Show

Turning Check - (1d20+3)[12]
    Turning will effect undead up to 7HD
    Turning Damage - (2d8+6)[18]
    Turning will effect up to 18 HD of creatures. Creatures of 3HD or less are destroyed rather than turned.
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2007-08-13 at 02:34 PM.

25. - Top - End - #895
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Screaming and yelling, he takes a few steps back and struggles to get away from the things, swearing quite loudly in Elvish as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show

"Fort Save" - (1d20+7)[27]
    "Fort Save" - (1d20+7)[25]
    Mmkay, he's going to try get away from the ghouls with several probably hindered move actions.
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-08-13 at 03:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #896

Khazrael

"Stay together! Let's send 'em all crying home to Orcus!"

With confident gestures and bold intonations, Khazrael fires another volley of magic missiles, focusing on the ghouls around Grynde.

3d4+3[4,4,1,3] = (12)

27. - Top - End - #897

Adalmar

His trusty bow back in his hands, he aims a few shots at the nearest ghoul.

Spoiler
    Show
    Manyshot - (1d20+9)[19]
    (1d8+4)[10] (1d6)[1]
    (1d8+4)[12] (1d6)[1]

28. - Top - End - #898

Damian

(note: I'm assuming Damian slipped outside after grabbing what he could off of Olfacht. If not, uh, he tries to slip outside after grabbing what he could off of Olfacht. )

When Grynde dives towards the ghouls again, Damian rolls his eyes - no need for him to shout, everyone else already was! He spares a glance over to Tanner and shakes his head grimly, conveying what Tanner probably already knew. I can't tell him I didn't get a chance to destroy the corpse - not now. If we do stem this tide, we can do it then. If not, we wouldn't've been able to afford him trying a fool's errand rescue mission anyway.

He looses a bolt towards the ghouls near Grynde, glancing at Fizahn as he expresses his frustration at the ranger's foolhardy nature. "Hey, I'm supposed to be the brash voice of reason here. No fair usurping my role." A grin spreads across his face - a rare show of emotion from the normally stoic rogue.
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-08-14 at 05:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #899

Tiriel

Tiriel lands well outside the walls of the village (50'-100') and carefully lowers Lissa and Achkby into the snow. From what she can see, the group has managed to bottleneck the ghouls at the gate, preventing them from exiting. "Can either one of you set fire to the buildings or the fence?" she asks, "It might buy us some time."

ooc: yeah I know they've both been demoted to NPC status but they're also both spell casters argh.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

30. - Top - End - #900

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Flying back to the party's side of the gate, the Gondsman lowers Desmona and then lands. He takes count of the party and realizes that Grynde is back inside.

He sees the gear in Damian's hands and assumes the worst. After hearing Tiriel, he says, "I can do my best to light things if they cannot."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw