New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Arrows, crossbow bolts, and magic missiles strike the ghouls closing in on Grynde. The ghouls jerk and dance as the projectiles knock them backward, clearing space from around the foolhardy half-elf. More ghouls press forward, practically trampling over each other to get to Grynde.

Tryntha pushes her way between the Rashemi warriors and cries out to her god. More than a half dozen ghouls are vaporized by the intensity of her holy power. Grynde scrambles back to the safety of the Rashemi phalanx.

Damian rises from beside Olfacht's corpse. Disappointed, he places his empty hands into his pockets. Olfacht had surprisingly little in the way of possessions. Just several small bags full of herbs and chemicals.

Tanner lands softly beside Damian, setting Desmona gently on her feet. She brushes her chestnut hair out of her face, appearing to blush slightly as she disentangles herself from his embrace. Coughing, she loosens the chain wrapped around her torso.

Tanner looks around, counting the survivors. Including Olfacht and the paralyzed Rashemi, everyone is accounted for, or are they ...?

"Norgold!" he calls out. Tanner realizes that the gnome newcomer had thrown off his count. The party is one short ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-15 at 07:52 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

Fizahn's jaw drops in surprise as the Tryntha destroys the ghouls. If I could do that... A relieved sigh escapes his mouth as Grynde rejoins the group. Good. Now that we've got everyone, we can get out of here. I haven't been in a real city for- His train of thought is cut off as Tanner shouts for Norgold. "You poor foolish humans, why do so many of you get lost. Leave him! Whoever he is, he's already been swarmed by now. We need to get out of here. There are too may for us to fight, even with that woman's amazing skill! I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a quest! And it's seeming extremely important because, in case you didn't notice, Sethra's- army? Not an army. Maybe scouts. A taskforce? Well, I don't know what those ghouls were doing, but Sethra sent them and there will be more!" Fizahn halfheartedly turns to go, but he keeps looking over his shoulder, not really believing that they'll follow him. I'm sure that was real convincing, not knowing what to call the ghouls. Great. They're gonna try to save him aren't they? Don't they know it's too dangerous? Besides, how smart could he be if his name is Norgold. Probably really greedy too. I might seem really cold and unemotional to them right now. Making jokes about their swarmed comrade is not going to endear me to them. He also doesn't get far before he realizes he doesn't know the way to the city.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

3. - Top - End - #903

Damian

As Fizahn calmly advocates abandoning the missing gnome, Damian looks over to him, a bit surprised, and nods. "He's right. We'd never find him in there, anyway." Lowering his voice, he takes on a bemused tone. "I told you, stop speaking reason so much. That's my job."

Speaking to the rest again, he glances back towards the fort, still swarming. "Plus, I hate to be realistic, but he's almost certainly done for on his own. Unless someone's got a way to make themselves invisible to those creatures, I don't see how we can rescue him."

"Best I could suggest is for Tanner and Tiriel to take to the skies and look for him while we try to keep them at bay here for now. And for those of you who believe yourself invincible to these creatures," and he nods to Olfacht's corpse near the entrance, for effect, keep in mind. You don't know how many of them there are. They could still be coming up from below. There could be hundreds. Or thousands. And for most of us, one bite's enough to doom us."

He looks grimly to the entrance, and loads another bolt into his crossbow. "We're out of time. Very out of time."
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #904

Khazrael

Lightning? No, that's too focused, I need fire.

His hands move in a circular pattern before he thrusts both palms forward, as if pushing at some invisible object. Nothing seems to happen.

"Damn, I can't call the right magic!"

5. - Top - End - #905

Tiriel
    Tiriel nods at Damian, "Just what I was thinking. Everyone else should start moving. I'll catch up later."

Tiriel takes to the skies again, this time flying low over the town (but out of reach of the ghouls) looking for the missing "Norglod." What did he look like? I don't remember, too many new faces...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

6. - Top - End - #906

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Deep down in his heart, Tanner knows the others are right. However, he will do his best to find - if not save - the lost one. How am I to find him among all the others? Tanner wonders. Then it hits him. "Tiriel - if you have the means to detect magic, it may help us find Norgold." Tanner's eyes glow blue for a moment after he incants the divination. His eyes pass sadly over Olfacht's body as the cleric hopes that Norgold does not share the same fate.

Unless he something catches his eye, the Gondsman takes flight and begins to scan for the missing member.

Spoiler
    Show

cast detect magic - look at Olfacht first to make sure we do not leave any useful magical items - then will take flight and begin scanning the area for Norgold via magical detection.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

7. - Top - End - #907

Tanner and Tiriel take to the skies once again, circling over the Rashemi outpost.

Within its walls, at least two score ghouls mill about, trapped and unable to exit due to the Rashemi phalanx keeping them bottled up.

Tiriel sees many bodies lying on the ground, mostly ghouls and the original (slain) Rashemi warriors who had manned the outpost.

Tanner circles low to the ground, just staying out of reach of the ghouls' grasp, scanning for any magical auras. (Olfacht had not appeared to be carrying anything magical.) Tanner tries to remember if Norgold had carried any magical items. Norgold had carrried a spiked chain, not dissimilar to Desmona's, and had been the one who grew to giant size during the battle with the frost worm.

Tanner spins in midair when something catches the corner of his eye. In one of the far corners, a man lies face down, a half dozen ghouls lie before him, dismembered and inert. Three "live" ghouls crouch over his body.

8. - Top - End - #908

Fizahn:

Fizahn smirks at Damian's complaint. "I wouldn't complain. It's everyone's job to speak reason, and besides, some day I'm going to speak reason that you won't understand and we can get into an argument then. Also, don't think you're forgiven. I don't particularly like being shot at." I am going to mess with him some for that. It will be fun. Fizahn looks once more at the battlefield. We need to be done here. Right now would be better. He clears his voice to shout at the fliers. "Have you found him yet? If you haven't I suggest we leave. We can honor his sacrifice later!" If we remember him...
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

9. - Top - End - #909

Damian

Damian glances down at Fizahn. "I didn't particularly enjoy shooting you, either. You're tiny, and hard to hit. It took effort. How about this: you give me my bolt back, I'll heal up that wound with the magic I borrowed from our resident flying cleric, and we'll pretend it never happened. I won't even ask you to clean off the bolt. I'm nice that way."

The verbal joust doesn't seem to phase Damian at all. His face softens slightly, and his tone becomes more casual. "Your name's Fizahn, right? I'm Damian. Your friends got buried under an avalanche with us a ways back."

Damian glances over at the Rashemi, who have been their normal, wonderfully communicative selves, and calls out to the captain. "Are you going to object if we burn this desecrated area to the ground?"
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-08-17 at 05:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #910

Khazrael

Khazrael grows a bit antsy, now that his talents are no longer required. He shouts a bit of abyssal at no one in particular.

"Yahh-zeggyi! What, are we letting the ghouls go in peace like the bird-bears? Are they natural spirits too?"

He briefly considers charming one of the berserkers and kindly asking him to charge back into the fray, but the thought of being cut down by the hirsute horde should he fail is enough of a deterrent to curb any bad behavior.
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-08-17 at 05:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Calling out to Tiriel, Tanner signals, "Tiriel - here!" He then tosses a flaming ball down at one of the ghouls (hopefully one that looks like it was hurt).

Spoiler
    Show

Ranged Touch attack - (1d20+9)[24]
    Fire damage - (1d6+6)[8]

Tanner then flies lower, but out of reach, to get a closer look.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

12. - Top - End - #912

Fizahn:

"Oh really? They actually talked about me? I wouln't have thought that. I'm just the problem child, according to Achkby. Anyway, Dame. Can I call you Dame? Excellent, thank you." Fizahn pulls the bolt out of his side and holds it out to Damian. A grin once more on his face. "This is your bolt isn't it. You can have it back, but don't bother with the healing. I've had much worse before. I mean, one time, I stubbed my toe and it hurt like hell." Fizahn's mischievous grin fades and he feigns concern. "You're not a very good shot, are you?" He's a good shot. He pulls the bolt back as Damian reaches for it, and the grin reappears. "You know, I will clean it off for you. I'm just that nice of a gnome. I'm not going to clean it now of course. Perhaps when we rest, but it will be absolutely perfect when I get it back to you." Fizahn tucks the bolt into his quiver, which it doesn't exactly fit in, and turns away from Damian. After a second, he turns back to Damian, a badly hidden look of concern on his face. "You mentioned an avalanche? You wouldn't know what happened to Callos, Elthan, Katrin, Lumpy, Aeroz, Thokk, and Ssath- the druid are, would you?" Stupid natural disasters. I hope they're all fine.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-17 at 09:59 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

13. - Top - End - #913

Damian

The rapid-fire burst of words from the gnome doesn't seem to stir Damian at all, as he calmly waited for the torrent to calm. "Actually, they didn't talk about you at all, Fizzy. I just heard Lissa shout your name when you showed up." His frow burrows slightly, as if in thought over something unrelated. This one definitely talks too much. That could be a problem.

When Fizahn mentions the missing others, he quickly responds. "Katrin's here. She's just good at hiding. As for the others," and he shakes his head slightly, "I don't know. I know Lissa mentioned one of those names before - Callos, I think - so I don't think he was lost in the avalanche. But the others, I don't know. They could've been. We didn't have much time before we were nearly eaten by a giant beast. Well," and he lets loose a slight sigh of frustration, "some of us were. But I don't recognize any of the names you mentioned as being with us after the avalanche."
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-08-18 at 07:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #914

Adalmar

Another arrow nocked in case a ghoul gets too close to escaping, Asalmar replies to Fizahn without looking at him.
    "We... We lost many in the Underdark. The dwarf, the lizardman... Lumpy, too, we thought, but he found us again, only to..." His voice is thick with grief, though his focused expression doesn't waver.
    "We got separated from Callos, Elthan, Trinark and the elf due to a strange magical tower sending us different ways."
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika calls over to Fizahn. "Your friend 'Katrin' is still with you, Fizahn. My name is Anika now." Her eyes follow Tiriel through the sky, watching her flight. "Tiriel, what do you see up there?"

(OOC@Fizahn: Anika is now 5'4" (although it wouldn't make much of a difference to a gnome, everyone looks tall to Small characters) with blond hair, pale skin, and thin, pointed features. Her eyes are still green.)
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

16. - Top - End - #916
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

Apparently calmed considerably after his recent excursion, he watches the flying people with vague interest.
    Wish I had wings.... he mutters, before turning to watch the exchange between Damian and Fizahn.
    He grins at the gnome, but does not, for once, speak his mind.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

While keeping an arrow readied on his bow string, Faluil watches the flying figures engage the land-based ghouls. He was all for assaulting them, but he knew, logically, that that would be suicide, or at the very least very inconvenient.

The gnome that showed up seemed a friendly sort. Good to finally have a nice surprise for once during this trip., he thought.

Staring wistfully at Tanner and Tiriel wreaking havoc he comments,

"Kind of wish we could be down there. Ghouls...." *shudder* "abominations. Perversions of the natural order. If it wasn't suicide, I'd be down there, too."

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

18. - Top - End - #918

You watch with detached nonchalance as Tiriel and Tanner hover over the battlefield. Fizahn and Damian banter casually and lightheartedly, ignoring Olfacht's corpse that lies on the ground nearby.

Meanwhile the ghouls scuttle about chaotically, trapped within the confines of the fort by the Rashemi.

Tiriel shouts over that they've found Norgold. Tanner throws down a gob of flame, to little effect. As Tanner concentrates, the magical aura comes into clearer focus. The magic is radiating from Norgold's two gauntlets.

Tiriel and Tanner face a dilemma. If they land and attempt to grab Norgold, they will almost certainly be overwhelmed by the ghouls clustered on the ground beneath them. The ghouls eye both Tiriel and Tanner greedily, beckoning for them to come down with their claws or leaping futilely into the air, hoping to grab one of their feet.

Meanwhile, the Rashemi captain has made his decision. Four of his soldiers circle the fort, pouring flasks of oil strategically at the base of the wooden pilings that form the outer walls. It is clear that the captain intends to burn the fort down with the ghouls still inside ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-20 at 02:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919

Khazrael

This isn't like with the aboleths...we really don't have a way to pull him out of there.

Khazrael turns from the fortress and examines his nails, checking for any dirt or imperfections.

20. - Top - End - #920

Fizahn:

Fizahn's face drops as he hears about his companions' fates. He stands still for a moment, obviously shocked before he forces a slight grin onto his face. His voice is still sad and it's obvious that despite his attempt at a joke, he's just as sad as Adalmar for the losses of his companions. "So, the dwarf got himself killed again. I just hope he's stubborn enough to come back this time too. Glad to know Callos and Aeroz are still alive. Can't say I'm too happy about Elthan though..." Fizahn looks extremely confused as Anika talks to him. A look of complete bafflement remains on his face as he questions her. "What? Why? Did you get on the wrong side of the law somehow? Amazing. It truly takes skill to cross the law when, as far as I can tell, you haven't been in a city in weeks. Can't you just have one name? That's all I ever needed. Just one name. Other gnomes want sixteen or seventeen, but I'm content with one. Fizahn's fine. I can't believe you wouldn't talk about me either. You should share all my heroic deeds with people. I mean, I stopped at one point to recount the amazing skills of my friend Katrin, or at least, I would have if there was any intelligent life in the Underdark. Now, Anika, are you likely to change your name again anytime soon?" And there's my talking quota for life. Thank god I'm out of the Underdark, actually have a good night's sleep behind me, am traveling with real live people, and will probably get to a city sometime soon. I never realized how much there is to say except when there was no one to say it to.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #921

Tiriel
    Argh, he's gotten himself surrounded! Tiriel thinks to herself as she flies in circles above Norgold and his ghoul groupies.

"We found him, but there's no way to get to him. I'm going to try throwing him a rope." Tiriel shouts back to Anika. "If that doesn't work..." she leaves the end of her sentence unfinished. She doesn't want to leave him, but she's also not willing to dive into what is a hopeless situation. Tiriel rummages in her pack and pulls out her length of rope. She makes a quick knot on each end before lowering one half to Norgold, trying to avoid the grasping hands of the ghouls.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

22. - Top - End - #922

Norgold is paralyzed or dead. He lies motionless, face down, as Tiriel dangles the rope above him.

Two ghouls grab a hold of the rope, trying to pull Tiriel down to the ground. A third ghoul begins to climb the rope.

23. - Top - End - #923

Damian

Seeing the Rashemi line up to burn the fort down, Damian nods to himself. Should've started that a while ago. Good to know they have some sense.

Sensing Tiriel's frustration, he glances over to Tryntha. "Gods, we're idiots! Tryntha, do you have any more uses of 'turn the undead to dust' left? If they've found Norgold, and he's surrounded, you could clear a path. We've got two people who can fly. Tiriel can carry you, Tanner can rescue Norgold."

"If not, there's nothing we can do for him. But that's our last hope."
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #924

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

Positioning himself so he is between Tiriel and the ghoul, Tanner takes a bead on the ghoul climbing the rope. He flings the small ball of fire directly down at the creature that is unable to dodge his flaming missile.

Spoiler
    Show

Ranged Touch Attack - (1d20+9)[25]
    Fire Damage - (1d6+6)[12]
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

25. - Top - End - #925

Goblin

Retay, human barbarian

Retay has his back turned to the scene, panting heavily. There is a tic under his left eye, and he seems to be struggling with something. His hands are white from gripping his axe so hard.

I won't let it happen again... I won't let it happen again...

26. - Top - End - #926
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

His eyes move from Tiriel and Tanner back to the rest of the group.
    Who's next? C'mon, we got good odds on Tiriel now. Any takers? Because she'd be about the thirteenth damn person to die now if those things get her he says sarcasticly, a note of bitterness in his voice. Despite his bravado, he isn't too keen on seeing any others die.
    On the other hand, he is literally salivating at the thought of getting to do some more fighting.
    He glances across at the rest, and his eyes flick to Retay.
    He's gunna break that axe if he don't stop squeezing it...Or maybe his fingers...

27. - Top - End - #927

Tiriel

Tiriel drops the rope with a cry of frustration, spilling the three attached ghouls. Turning to Tanner she shouts, "Unless we can clear those things from him on the ground that's it. We don't even know if he's still alive anyway."
    She turns away from the prone Norgold and heads back to the gate.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

28. - Top - End - #928

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

"I am sorry, but I have only one spell that could do much good. It will fan a small area with flames in the shape of a cone. I had used my wall of fire already, and I have little else that can help."

Tanner tracks the ghoul he had hit if it still lives.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika blinks at Fizahn a couple of times. "...No, not anytime soon. I just changed names last night or the night before. It'll be a while..."

She looks dismayed upon hearing Tiriel's news. If only we had a mage that could fireball the undead into oblivion... Tiriel could carry him above the fort or something...
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

30. - Top - End - #930

One ghoul is incinerated, while the other two fall backward when Tiriel drops her rope. Frustrated, Tiriel and Tanner are forced to abandon Norgold's body. Landing outside the fort, they watch as flames begin to lick the sides of the wooden fort from all directions.

The Rashemi captain keeps his men in formation, blocking any escape for the ghouls inside. They ignore the ashes and sparks that singe their faces.

As the fort begins to burn, thick black smoke rises. "The huhrong will send men to investigate. Soon you will be in Immilmar ..." the captain says to Tryntha.

Lissa is exuberant, as usual, hugging Fizahn enthusiastically and demanding to know where he has been and how he managed to escape from the aboleths. Achkby is more reserved.