New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Khazrael

Khazrael watches the flames as though entranced. After several moments, he extends his left hand, and with his right, he grips the handle of his knife. He lays the blade flat against his left palm and listens to the howls of the burning ghouls.

He speaks aloud in Draconic.

"How many times," he muses, "Will it end like this? How far can we run, and how many will we give over to the cloying dark? A curse on this Sethra, and his Lady Valentine."

He slips the blade of the knife along his palm, and in a single sweeping motion with his left hand, sends a small amount of blood out over the snow. He throws his knife down, embedding the blade in the hard-packed powder. He crouches, places his bloodied palm on the snow, then scoops up his weapon and returns it to his belt.

His bizarre folk curse completed, Khazrael folds his wounded hand into a fist and spits in the snow before turning away.

"So...can we get the hells out of here now? I don't wanna be here when the next horrible thing happens to this place."

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

"One moment," he says as he approaches Olfacht's corpse. He bends down, takes off his spell component pouch and any magical items he may have, before lifting him up into the air. He say a short prayer to Gond, "I return ye to the forge." Tanner then drops Olfacht into the fire.

Tanner watches from above - making sure none escape. Tanner will look to see if Norgold's body was left to burn by the ghouls.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #933

Fizahn:

Fizahn watches the failure in the air without surprise. Maybe if they went a little away from the body, the ghouls would follow them and then they could make a swooping dive to save him. Nah. Probably way too many ghouls for that. He smiles at Anika. "Glad to hear it because if you do change it again, I will have to just give you one name of my choosing. Kind of like how we called Ssa- the lizardman- the druid." I've got to stop doing that. There was a cultural reason he didn't want people to know his name. Maybe I shouldn't be so free with my name either. I'll probably end up on a wanted poster sometime. Fizahn frowns at Grynde's statement. "She's much more likely to survive than you, human scum. I saw the amazing job you were doing keeping out of trouble over there. Oh help me blasty lady! I'm surrounded, eek!"

Fizahn walks over to Tiriel as she lands. He looks up at her and shrugs. "You did what you could. More than I could do. Not his fault he doesn't know there's safety in numbers." Fizahn returns Lissa's hug and grins broadly at everyone he knew. "I can't tell you how happy I am to see you guys. I mean, for a while I thought I was the only intelligent life anywhere. Oh, wait... Yeah. Darn." Fizahn shrugs and grins at his friends while taking a little jump out of their reach. "So, you want to know what happened to me? It was horrible. There was an entire fishy city. They all lived there in their little fishy paradise and they brought me there too. I cleverly used my hat as a bargaining chip to get me out of there. They'd never seen a hat before and I was able to help a fishy corner the hat market. They weren't going to let me go, so I snuck out at night. Or day. I'm not sure, it was the Underdark. That's when I ran into the tap-dancing mind flayers-" Fizahn pauses at a complaint from someone. He feigns a look of shock and starts talking defensively. "You don't believe me? Seriously? I thought it was completely plausible. I'm not sure what you're talking about. Fine, fine. I understand. You don't really want to know. You were just being polite."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-21 at 09:21 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

4. - Top - End - #934

Tiriel

Tiriel starts to reply to Fizahn but he'd already moved onto his, highly improbable, story of survival. She blinks in confusion (at such an assault of mind numbingly impossible things!) and then laughs, her frustration and anger defused. She nods to the captain. "Good. The sooner we get there the better."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

5. - Top - End - #935

Damian

With the giddy reunion of Fizahn with his former compatriots, Damian moves away from the rest, quietly. His eyes occasionally glance back toward the burning fort as he casually loads another bolt into his crossbow before setting the safety and slinging it over his shoulder. He casually draws one of the daggers hanging by his belt, twirling it idly.

Noble fools. We lost two men in there, for absolutely no reason. We should've burned the place to the ground the instant Anika told us that everyone was killed.

He glances back to the Rashemi guard as they make preparations to leave the fort. "Anytime you're ready. The stench will make us sick if we don't leave soon."
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #936
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

I don't understand what you called me just there, but I get the gist. Let me impart some wisdom to you, you pathetic migdet.
    He covers the distance between himself and Fizahn, and lifts Fizahn off his feet, face contorted with rage, holding one shortsword to his throat.
    DON'T PISS ME OFF!

OOC: He's only half human. Also, do I need to make a grapple check here?
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-08-22 at 01:47 AM.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

When he saw Grynde pick up and threaten the gnome, Faluil almost readied his bow again, this time at the half-human. But he understood the emotional trouble his companions were going through, having just lost two good friends. He decided to calm the wild man down the hard way.

Worst thing that happens, he thought, the half-human comes after me instead.

"Let the short one alone, cousin. Everybody knows gnomes are just jealous of the taller folk. They like to pick at our occasional shortcomings to compensate for their short statures."

He kept his hands on his bow, though, and kept it pointed towards the burning outpost.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, it is essentially a diplomacy check.

(1d20)[12]

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

8. - Top - End - #938

Fizahn:

Rage crosses Fizahn's eyes as Grynde picks him up. "Anger issues?" Note to self: This one is violent. Fizahn pushes Grynde's sword away from his throat enough so he can slip out of his jacket. He gracefully lands on the ground and springs away from the maddened half-elf. He looks at Faluil as he starts talking to Grynde. When Faluil stops talking, an expression of shock and hurt is on his face. "Jealous of humans? No thank you. I rather like being smart. If you're really curious, I'm sure Lissa would be willing to translate." Fizahn turns back to his friends, while keeping a wary eye on Grynde.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-22 at 07:13 AM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

9. - Top - End - #939

Damian

The shout from behind him drew his attention immediately, as he turned to see Grynde grab at Fizahn. Even as Faluil berated him, Damian strode quickly over to the half-elf, pulling a dagger smoothly from its strap along his belt.

"Don't even think about doing that again. This is not a pleasure trip for you to attack whomever you want. You attack one of our companions here, and I'll take you down personally. He may not have been here long, but he has earned the trust of several people who you owe your life to, might I remind you."

His eyes narrow cruelly, the white frost and gold sparkles dancing. "Or did you forget we just saved you from your own foolhardiness?"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika glares at Grynde. "Faluil, don't harass Fizahn any further. Fizahn, don't harass Grynde any further. Grynde... Put Fizahn down, or things will get ugly... uglier than they are already."

She tucks her hands behind her back, to give her better access to the dagger at the back of her belt.

(OOC: Untrained Intimidate Check (1d20+1=8))
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #941
    Orc in the Playground

Faluil

Faluil's eyes gleam a bit when the gnome converses with him in his native tongue and ignores the Ahhh...Gnomes. I have not had to deal with them since I left Silverymoon...oh, a long time ago.

"My apologies...Fizahn, is it? Just trying to get my over-eager cousin's temper under control with a bit of sarcasm. Your kind might occasionally slip under my notice, but so far as I have known gnomes, I have liked them."

"True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Villainous Monsters, providing a list of worthy opponents for use in any OGL game: monsters with PC levels

12. - Top - End - #942

Fizahn:

Fizahn sidles up to Katrin and whispers to her. "I never would have harassed him in the first place if I had known he was so bloodthirsty. Credit me with some intelligence, please. He did insult Tiriel though." Fizahn laughs at Faluil's comment. "I'm not sure that sarcasm is the way to ease his temper. I'm not sure if you noticed, but sarcasm is what got me into the mess. Albeit truthful sarcasm, but sarcasm nonetheless. That, and an ignorance of languages. Everyone knows the gnome language has nothing but nice words, right Lissa?" Fizahn practically breaks down laughing after he utters his final sentence. He takes a moment to calm himself. "Reunion, bickering, and mourning aside, I believe it's time to be on our way. Also, Grynde, I'd prefer if you gave me that jacket back at some point."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-22 at 10:49 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

13. - Top - End - #943

Adalmar

Adalmar, who is not a gifted mediator, stands aside for a time. When the commotion is over, he makes his way to Fizahn and gives him a friendly slap on the back - perhaps a bit too strong a slap, which may cause Fizzy to briefly lose his balance.
    "Good to have you back."

He leaves unsaid the obvious part : after we lost so many. He does say a silent prayer to Mielikki, recommending the souls of the fallen to the Huntress.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

14. - Top - End - #944
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

He stares into the space he had held Fizahn moments before, struggling to control his anger. Faluil's comments have an effect. Finally, seeming to have mastered himself, he backtracks several steps, and picks up his second sword where he dropped it.
    You watch yourself, gnome. I know a neat trick that'll make you shorter.
    It involves your legs, and a lot of blood he mutters under his breath.
    Turning to Damian, he says snidely At least I had the guts to do any fighting. Or did forget that you ran in the opposite direction when Olfacht screamed?
    Last edited by Matticus; 2007-08-23 at 02:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #945

Damian

Grynde's challenge doesn't phase him in the least - in fact, it seems to embolden him, stepping forward until he is merely a step away from him. "Forgotten? Forgotten? If you had done as I said - no, not just me - Anika, Khazrael, Adalmar - any of us, Norgold and Olfacht would still be alive. When Olfacht screamed, he was dead. Period. I knew that the instant I heard him. Was I wrong? Is he alive? You all certainly tried to save him. All your grandiose, brave, and stupid fighting did was put yourself in more danger. And gave the ghouls more time to finish off Norgold."

His voice raises in pitch, anger clearly rising. "You think I didn't plan on fighting? You think I didn't fight at all? See the blood coming from Fizahn's shoulder? That's from my bolt, because I thought he was behind the ghouls, attacking. You want to know why I rushed out? Because I'm not a moron. In there, we couldn't move, we couldn't regroup, and we had no idea of the strength of our enemy. That fort was a death trap, and two of us know that for a fact. Their deaths are on your conscience, not mine. I did everything I could to save them. And you."

"This isn't the first time you've drawn a blade on one of us. It will be the last. Save your swords for something that wants to kill you, or we will take them away."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #946

While you argue, the fort continues to burn. The Rashemi cut down any ghouls that try to escape through the main gates. The ghouls race about as they catch fire, crazed silhouettes that dance maniacally until one by one they collapse and turn to ash.

The captain watches the argument between Grynde and Fizahn and the others out of the corner of his eye. Tryntha notices a slight disapproving twitch of the corner of his mouth, but he says nothing.

Once Fizahn has wriggled free and retrieved his battered jacket, Lissa quietly lowers her crossbow, carefully removing the oily, dark bolt she had loaded. The poisoned bolt goes back into its special case. She is uncharacteristically silent through the entire confrontation, but her narrowed eyes focus on Grynde with a special intensity. Soon, she promises herself.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-08-23 at 08:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #947

PirateCaptain

Tanner Gondsman

After he is satisfied that there is no longer any threat, Tanner lands. He frowns with obvious disgust at the arguing that is going on. Even though he did not see Grynde threaten the newcomer, he is able to put it together when he sees the tell-tale gnomish coat in the ranger's hands and hearing Damian's words seals it.

Tanner looks around and says, "Are there any here who needs healing?"

He will administer to those that do (he will start by healing the Rashemi.)...but will pass over Grynde and refuse to heal him.

When he has a moment to talk to Tiriel, he will. "A word with you, Tiriel, if I may?"

Taking her aside (above is more like it...as he will fly up high into the air) so self-consciousness may be avoided and the others (especially Grynde) do not over hear. When he is above, he de-activates his hat of disguise so his wings may be seen by Tiriel. "I couldn't help but notice that you and I have similar...qualities. Mine are a gift from Gond, but without my devotion to the great maker, I would not have the strength nor the gift of flight. You, on the other hand, appear to have the blood of the heavens flowing through your veins. Because of this, I feel that I can speak freely to you. I know little of those that were with me when the caravan was overtaken by the snow, but I fear that Grynde is going to be a problem. I trust you have more experience in this matter with your companion, Khazrael. Reason has gotten us nowhere with Grynde. I fear that the only thing this one understands is force. If it comes to this, I will deal with him personally - but I wanted to let you know so you may pass this information along to your friends so that it will not shock them."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

18. - Top - End - #948

Fizahn:

Fizahn loses his balance as Adalmar slaps his back. Hoping to save face, he converts his stumble into a roll to get further away from Grynde. Crouching in a ready to spring sort of fashion, he looks up at Adalmar and smiles. "Good to be back." He frowns at Grynde again and fingers his dagger. That's right. Make your threats. Just don't forget what's at slicing level for little old me. Assuming I could find it of course. You should also listen to Dame. He makes a lot of sense. What was that language he was speaking? Elven? Fizahn takes a closer look at Grynde, but from a distance. Nah. The ears aren't pointy enough for elves. Hmmm... Look kinda like Elthan's. Was Elthan a half-elf? Haven't met many half-elves, but they're already making a bad impression.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The Rashemi priestess leaned heavily on one of her kinsman and merely nodded at the captain's words. Channeling the energy to destroy those undead took much out of her, and her emotions got the better of her as she thought about all of the loss involved in her life recently.

Everyone at the avalanche
    The survivors who did not survive the wurm
    Her countrymen at the fort
    Olfacht
    Norgold
    The poor souls whose fate it was to become those wretched creatures that had killed her companions

She barely registered the actions of the warriors as they burned the fort. Her tear-laden eyes still saw all of the lifeless corpses in the area due to her Deathwatch spell.

Nodding at the captain as he lead her away from the inferno, Tryntha was too distressed to notice the changes to her companions, or to process that they were having an argument and threatening each other.

In a weak voice, she said the captain, but more to assure herself,

"Immilmar. Yes....the Iron Lord will know what to do. He will make things right in our lands again."

20. - Top - End - #950

Damian

When Tanner asks the others regarding healing, Damian quickly turns away from Grynde, before he can respond - even the beginnings of a response go unanswered. He quickly walks over to Tanner, and speaks up. "Tanner, let me do the first of the healing. I can't hold onto what I've taken from you for very long, and it's pointless to let it go to waste."

"It was noble of you to attempt to save Olfacht, incidentally. More than I would have done."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

"Well now that you know what he's like, don't do it again, obviously..." Anika scowls and starts observing the group in general and eavesdropping on everyone's conversations.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

22. - Top - End - #952

Tiriel

Tiriel catches the tail end of the confrontation between Fizahn and Grynde after talking to the captain. She's starts to move towards the commotion when Tanner pulls her aside. Reluctantly joining him in the sky she listens to what he has to say with some surprise and a bit of anger.
    "The half-elf is a problem. A rude, arrogant, and dangerous, problem. I don't think any of my friends will care what you do to him. But let me say this: I'm not going to wait for you to deal with him. If he threatens one of us again I'd say whoever's closer gets to deal with him first."

Tiriel leaves Tanner and rejoins her "friends." She looks over at Grynde before asking Fizahn, "So... why did the elf-ling have your coat Fizahn?"
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

23. - Top - End - #953

Fizahn:

Fizahn grins at Anika. "Now that I know what he's like, I need to think of ways to insult him without his knowledge. I'm just joking. I wouldn't risk my life anymore. I'm kind of attached to my head." Fizahn's grin changes from mischievous to sheepish as Tiriel questions him. "Well... He had my coat because coats make an ideal way to pick someone up. I mean, you grab a guy by the throat of his coat and hoist him into the air. it inconveniences him. It's not like someone would go around intentionally wearing a coat he could easily slip out of in case that sort of thing happen."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #954

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by kuja.girl View Post
    Tiriel

"The half-elf is a problem. A rude, arrogant, and dangerous, problem. I don't think any of my friends will care what you do to him. But let me say this: I'm not going to wait for you to deal with him. If he threatens one of us again I'd say whoever's closer gets to deal with him first."
    Tanner Gondsman

"I agree and understand on all accounts. Thank you for listening," he calls out to Tiriel as she flies back down. "What have you gotten yourself into now, Tanner?" he asks himself before returning to the others.

When Damian indicates that he must use the healing spell he pilfered from his own spells, Tanner nods and says to him, "Perhaps you should heal the new-comer? It may ease the tension between you two. As far as the noble thing to do...I would rather think it was the right thing to do. I only wish I could have done better for him and Norgold. Of course the one that I had saved from the owlbears proves to be a bitter reminder of my poor judgement. I wish we had listened to you, Damian. That I regret the most. But let us not dwell on things we cannot change, but remember them when we must make similar choices in the future."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

25. - Top - End - #955

Your shadows are lengthening by the time the flames die down, leaving only a charred pile of charcoal and ash.

The Rashemi create a sledge for their paralyzed comrade, then begin to move out in small groups. The captain nods to you. "Time to go."

The road is unpaved, but smooth and straight. You head directly west to Immilmar. By the time you arrive, night has fallen. The captain wastes no time and escorts you directly to the forbidding stone keep that looms over the center of the city, the seat of the Iron Lord.

You have little time to take in your surroundings as you are swept forward through the heavy iron gates into an inner courtyard. Torches cast flickering orange light over the icy cobblestones as your group waits to be admitted. Rashemi warriors line the walls of the courtyard. They seem unsurprised by your arrival, as though you were expected.

After several minutes delay, three figures emerge from a dark archway. They step forward, lowering their hoods. Several of you recognize them immediately - Callos, Elthan and Aeroz.

Callos smiles crookedly, "What took you so long?"

26. - Top - End - #956

Khazrael

A look of relief washes over his face when he sees the errant trio. Though he'd clashed with Callos and knew Elthan as little more than a dangerous cultist, he was at least glad to see that they hadn't been killed.

"Let me guess, your teleport point took you directly here?"

27. - Top - End - #957

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks shocked at Callos's and Aeroz's appearances. "I don't know. What took you so short? I heard you were lost in some mystical towers or some such nonsense." He shrugs and smiles. "So, I suppose you've already done the job we were supposed to do. Just one further addendum. Sethra's forces seem to be using the Underdark as a passageway and undead don't need to sleep. I know you already knew that, but I'm just mentioning it because I found that little fact to be very annoying and stressful. I suppose we can all settle down now. You, Callos, could raise the first good skeletal horde. Achkby and Lissa buy a house somewhere, raise the first half-gnome-quarter-lings. What exactly is a ling anyway? Half-halfling just didn't sound right. Anika, Aeroz, and I could probably start a "firm" somewhere. Elthan can continue murdering unsuspecting paladins in crisis situations. The usual." Fizahn tries to make eye contact with Callos. Having done that, he motions toward Grynde and slams his fist into his hand. I hope he gets the picture that the half-elf is extremely violent. I'm not too good at nonverbal communication.
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-24 at 04:32 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

"I wish. I've been to more places then I've ever really wanted to be at, including underwater somewhere which is a distinctly unpleasant place to simply pop into being at. As far as I know there isn't even a tower here to teleport too, we hitched a ride from someone." Callos responded with a snort to Khaz, rolling his eyes some as he mentally went back through the experience of...well almost drowning which hadn't been fun. Then his eyes swiveled down to Fizahn and an eyebrow arched.

"Aren't you supposed to be some horrible mixture of flesh and hideousness? That's what Trinark said anyway...and no, not quite. We still need to see the Iron Lord. Who are these new people? And more importantly why do they travel with you?" The necromancer asked, suspicion clear in his voice as he gestured at them with his cloak wrapped arm. Too many bad experiences with new people but then again he also knew that his companions had this habit of picking up strays that was rather alarming.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

29. - Top - End - #959
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Grynde

I think the Gnome's a horrible mixture of flesh and hideousness he interjects, but otherwise remains quiet.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika smirks at Fizahn's suggestion that the thieves in the group hire themselves out as partners in crime. She ignores Grynde and instead answers Callos. "We got caught in a... what do you call it... an avalanche. They got swept along with us, and we all pulled each other out of the snow. Nothing terribly exciting," she finishes sarcastically. "Why is your cloak wrapped around your arm?"
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show