New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1530
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos, Damian and Tiriel huddle over the ring. Tanner pushes between them and kneels before the ring, much to their bemusement.

The ring does not respond to their questions, keeping its tail tightly clamped in its mouth. Its eyes, however, are open and blinking as it regards you warily.

Grynde's shoulders sag, but he tries to hide whatever degree of disappointment he might have suffered from being rejected by the ring.

When Callos and Damian reach for the ring, they too are rebuffed. Only Tiriel is able to pick up the ring and hold it on her palm.

"It seems to like you," observes Faluil, who had been observing the event from a distance along with Retay.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Retay

The barbarian looks around at his partymates, confused. Why is everyone rasping and hissing? He ventures out of his corner and towards the ring on the floor, which he suddenly realises is moving.

"It's alive..." he murmurs, transfixed. Then, on a whim, he bends to pick it up.

{{I swear, I wrote this post before Dr. Bob said anything in the OOC thread.}}

EDIT: Dang, Dr. Bob beat me to it.
    Last edited by Naleh; 2007-09-13 at 02:13 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1173

Damian

"Well, Tiriel, do you want to risk actually putting the ring on? I'm not sure if you were around when Lissa was bit by it last night. It definitely seemed to 'choose' Grynde, but it seems like the ring may have different tastes than the dragon. Or it may not have a choice."

Damian turns to Callos after his long speech in draconic yields no response. "I don't think it can talk like that in any case. Have you ever heard of a ring like this? It's new to me..." His eyes quickly scan around the room, looking... "Where's... what's his name... Elthan. He might know something as well."
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1174

Fizahn:

Fizahn watches Tiriel pick up the ring with interest. Interesting. Very interesting. He moves closer to Tiriel and the ring as Damian speaks. "Yeah. Elthan might know something. I doubt it though. It's all getting pretty complex. I say that since it seems to like Tiriel. She can summon the dragon, and we could talk to him. I also think we should pass it around and see who gets bitten. There has to be some sort of pattern. Maybe the ring doesn't like spellcasters? That's why it refused to be touched by Lissa, Achkby, and you two. Then Grynde summoned the dragon somehow, only for the dragon to realize, Grynde's a slimebucket. No offense or anything Grynde."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

5. - Top - End - #1175

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Anika

Although Anika's expression shows no hint of it, her mind is near to panic. She had intended to pray to Selune for guidance on the very issue that Callos had brought up, but she had not had a chance yet today to go into the city, on the off chance that there might be a temple to the Moonmother under another name. She had to make her decision now...

She looks up from the dagger in her right hand, which she had been unconciously spinning again. "You killed Evendur to gain power. You killed him as a sacrifice to Shar, to gain power. Perhaps if he had attacked you, say, for worshipping Shar--which is not so farfetched for a paladin, by the way, because Shar, is an evil deity of darkness, forgetfulness, and loss--it might have been excusable."

She stares Elthan in the eyes. "But you killed him for power. To gain Shar's favor. You were unprovoked, and, if I remember correctly, he was unknowing and unarmed. There is no excuse for that." Anika continues staring at Elthan until he leaves the armory.
    Elthan

Elthan keeps his head bent down, avoiding the womans stare. "I know that very well, Anika, but that is not what I was asking. Let me make myself completely clear; I have no intention of excusing my actions either now or any time in the future to any being. I do not want to be excused, as that would mean the moral failing of anyone who would. I know full well what I have done, but there is nothing now I can do to change the fact that I killed him, or change how or why.

"All I ask, all I want to hear is that you do not hate me because of my inexcusable actions. Though I killed him, I wish I had not, and acknowledge all the faults in myself that lead to it. If you do not, then I shall leave and not press the issue again."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

6. - Top - End - #1176

Tiriel

Tiriel eyes the dragon-ring cautiously. "I don't know if it likes me or if it just hasn't bitten me yet. But I don't think it's a good idea to pass the ring around; that'd only end with more sore fingers and an irritated dragon...ring-thing.
    "I guess it would be kind of hard to talk with your tail in your mouth. Hrm...
    ."

Can the other rings switch wearers without a problem, or are they all finicky like the dragon? The best way seems to try one of the other rings first... And someone should hold onto the "spare."
    Elthan is out of the question, Khazrael, Anika, Lissa and Achkby are gone, Aeroz and Adlamar are still blanks in Tiriel's mental book (not that she doesn't trust them, just that she doesn't know much about them), and Fizahn... is a gnome with a fast mouth and fast hands. The people she met in the avalanche are a mixed bag - most seem like good people, but none of them have been mixed up in this business long enough for her to trust them with what she considers a "weapon" against Sethra.

Which leaves Callos, who has proven himself a pain in the ass, as many times as he's been helpful, is devoted to getting this Sethra business over with, and is currently on Tiriel's **** list. On the plus side, Tiriel knows she could beat him in a fight with little problem.

"I think, I'm going to try to summon it. Asking the dragon what's going on seems like the best way, so hopefully it can speak after it transforms. Err... just how big is it? Should we go outside?"

Tiriel holds the dragon ring toward Callos, angeled so he can read the word inscribed inside.* "What's it say, and what's it mean?"
    [*ooc: I assume it has a word in Draconic engraved on it like all the others...]
    looks to see if the dragon ring has a word inscribed along the inside like the others.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-09-13 at 09:56 PM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King_of_GRiffins View Post
    Elthan

Elthan keeps his head bent down, avoiding the womans stare. "I know that very well, Anika, but that is not what I was asking. Let me make myself completely clear; I have no intention of excusing my actions either now or any time in the future to any being. I do not want to be excused, as that would mean the moral failing of anyone who would. I know full well what I have done, but there is nothing now I can do to change the fact that I killed him, or change how or why.

"All I ask, all I want to hear is that you do not hate me because of my inexcusable actions. Though I killed him, I wish I had not, and acknowledge all the faults in myself that lead to it. If you do not, then I shall leave and not press the issue again."
    Anika

Anika frowns. "I wouldn't say I hate you so much as I distrust you. Whatever you say, your actions define what you believe, and now that you've murdered one person, it sets a precedent for you to be murdering others, which of course is a threat to everyone's safety.

"I don't want to hear anything else from you right now. Words mean nothing. Actions... mean everything. You're going to have to prove yourself--and you're going to have to do a hell of a lot to prove yourself--to regain my trust."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

8. - Top - End - #1178

Strangely, the "living" ring doesn't seem to have anything inscribed on its "belly".

9. - Top - End - #1179

Damian

Damian is about to speak up when Tiriel looks to the inside of the ring, because he had seen and mentioned the word on the inside of the ring last night. He stops midway through saying a word, then regains his composure. "It said something before it was activated, Tiriel. Darastrix. Dragon. It looks like it's activated, or something, now. Possibly because someone," and he glares sidelong at Grynde, "was playing with something he didn't fully understand. You could try repeating the word yourself. Maybe that'll de-activate it."

A brief thought crosses his mind. "Or, if that doesn't work, 'ring' - ring. It would make a strange sort of sense."
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-09-13 at 10:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1180

Adalmar

Moved by a sudden impulse, the ranger speaks the command word for his own ring, and in the strange, accelerated timeflow that is created, he exits the room. A few seconds later, he speaks the word again and the world readjusts itself. Might as well get used to that power.

He asks the Rashemi staff about caves and bats.

Spoiler
    Show
    Transferring to the Private Conversations thread - I had already posted there about starting to ask around.
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

11. - Top - End - #1181

Warily, Tiriel repeats the word, mimicking Damian's intonation as precisely as possible.

The ring subtly transforms, returning to its original inert state.

Tiriel looks around the room. Who wants to try it on?

12. - Top - End - #1182

Damian

Damian flinches slightly as Tiriel looks at him. "Not me. I might be able to make it work - I've got a hunch as to what's going on - but the last thing I want is a dragon mad at me for fooling it into thinking I'm something I'm not. It's either your temperament or your, " and Damian coughs, trying to find a delicate word, "... heritage. You might want to have Khazrael try, though from the looks of him he might be too terrified."

Damian looks over to Callos. "Now you should see if the other rings are 'tuned' to their owners as well. If that ring is particular about who its owner is, it might be better for you to leave as a spare one of the other rings which can be more freely spread around."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1183

Khazrael

"Oh no, leave me out of this. That thing looked like it wanted to take Grynde's head off!"

14. - Top - End - #1184

Tiriel

Seeing no volunteers, Tiriel shrugs and slips the cloisonne ring off her finger and slides the dragon ring on. She hesitates a second before handing Callos the "ixen/fire" ring.
    "Hold on to it for now. I guess everyone should stand back.

"Darastrix."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Bloody ring...why would Prozen give us a tempermental magical ring? It makes utterly no sense to me whatsoever." Callos mumbled to himself, eyes focused on the odd little dragon ring even as he took the fire one from Tiriel. Oddly enough he didn't feel frightened of the possibility of a dragon appearing from the ring, and didn't move away as she spoke the 'command' word for the dragon to appear.

What was the worst that could happen?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

16. - Top - End - #1186

The dragon returns, knocking Callos to the ground inadvertently. The brass dragon picks up the necromancer gingerly between two claws, then places him off to one side. The dragon wears an expression of disgust, as one might imagine a princess might wear if forced to dispose of a dead mouse.

The dragon again rears back, extending its wings, before settling back down on its haunches, crushing another table beneath its massive bulk. It lowers its head to the ground before Tiriel, purring like a kitten.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Tiriel

Tiriel takes an instinctive step back from the full grown dragon. Compared to this, Yix was a cute, playful, puppy. The brass dragon was very large and it's girth made Tiriel understood why the others had been reluctant to summon it again.
    Is it purring? Is that normal? It doesn't seem like it's violent... otherwise it'd have smashed Callos with the table. Right?

Tiriel takes a deep breath and then addresses the dragon, "Hello. I don't know if you can understand me or not, but...I ...err we, were wondering if you could tell us who you are and..." Tiriel stops there hoping that the dragon will either respond, or that someone who knows Draconic will translate for her.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

18. - Top - End - #1188

Damian

Damian leans over to Tiriel, and whispers. "Hello is draconic for Hello. Might start with that first, to see if it is even willing - or capable - of response." He then sidles over to Callos, with no expression of recognition that the necromancer was just tossed and repositioned like a chew toy.

"This can't be what it looks like. A portable dragon?! The other rings were useful, but this, this would just be crazy. The dragon could single-handedly take out a small army with little effort. Who was this person who you got the rings from?"
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1189

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks with awe once more at the dragon. He steps up next to Tiriel. "Come on Damian, don't you think it would just be easier to translate for her? She says, 'hello. She doesn't know if you can understand her or not, but we would like to know who you are and what a magnificent beast such as yourself is doing bound to a ring."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Goblin

Retay

Eventually, the barbarian ventures out from his corner, axe in hand.

Pausing only briefly to glare at Callos, he takes up position beside Tiriel. He watches the dragon warily, but as long as it is not hostile, neither is Retay.

"Are you sure the brass ones are the good ones?" he says nervously. "I'd have thought that would be the white ones..."

21. - Top - End - #1191

Damian

Damian rolls his eyes when Fizahn rapidly unleashes a torrent in draconic. Yes, Fizahn, it might've been easier, but I wanted to play it slow.

A bit of inspiration crosses Damian's mind, and his eyes briefly flash blue before settling back to a more normal light sky, and he looks to the dragon, studying any dweomer lingering about it. Granted, without having studied a normal dragon before, his chance at detecting anything out of the ordinary was slim.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic, first time per day (2 left).
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by blackfox View Post
    Anika

Anika frowns. "I wouldn't say I hate you so much as I distrust you. Whatever you say, your actions define what you believe, and now that you've murdered one person, it sets a precedent for you to be murdering others, which of course is a threat to everyone's safety.

"I don't want to hear anything else from you right now. Words mean nothing. Actions... mean everything. You're going to have to prove yourself--and you're going to have to do a hell of a lot to prove yourself--to regain my trust."
    Elthan

Slowly, Elthan raises his head and meets Anikas' gaze. "In rebuttal, I tasted that wine last night, but that's no indication I'd want to drink it again at any point." he says, grinning at bit now. He bows his head once more to Anika, "But, I understand you completely. Before I leave, the last thing I will ask is that you give me enough time to regain that trust.

"I'll see you later at the audience this evening. Good-bye for now, and thank you."
    Turning around, Elthan leaves and begins wandering around the castle, leaving Anika to what she was doing before he arrived.

(OOC: Elthan picks up 5 Masterwork spears and various items yet to be decided upon)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

23. - Top - End - #1193

The brass dragon looks down, head cocked to one side. It does not speak. Instead it lowers its head until it is resting on the floor. Its chin lies gently against Tiriel's foot.

Callos looks at the cloisonne ring in his hand. It doesn't seem to "mind" Tiriel's switch to a different ring. Perhaps each ring was not "bonded" to each party member after all ...

Without fanfare, Damian eyeballs the dragon, which radiates magic strongly. Whether this is due to its nature or its relationship to the ring is unclear.

With everyone's attention focused on the dragon, it is a while before anyone notices the newcomer. Faluil is the first to spot her. He clears his throat and nods towards the main doorway.

An armored woman in ornate plate mail and a spined shield stands with her mouth agape. A bastard sword is sheathed over her shoulder. The style of her armor and weapon suggest that she hails from Impiltur, to the north of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Her Rashemi escorts fall back in amazement before scurrying away, no doubt to tell the Iron Lord about the magical beast crouching in one of his dining halls.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Anika

Anika rolls her eyes at Elthan's retreating back and leaves the armory, intending to go out to the city. When she steps out into the courtyard, she stops short, staring at the colossal dragon taking up much of the space there. She reaches for the sword she isn't wearing before realizing the dragon wasn't any of the usual dragon colors she knew about: black, white, blue, green, or red. This, then, was one of the 'metallic dragons,' as she had heard them called. Where any of the colorful dragons were likely to eat you for accidently stumbling upon their hiding spaces, the metallic ones were likely to be amused at the antics of the poor human that discovered them and fled in panic at the sight of a dragon.

Anika moves forward slowly, out into the open, to get a better look at the magnificent dragon. When Faluil points out the newcomer, she attempts, fairly unsuccessfully, to keep an eye on the woman while still staring wide-eyed at a dragon like a country girl in a Waterdeep market.
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-09-16 at 06:08 PM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

25. - Top - End - #1195

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at the new woman for a second. He looks at the dragon for a second before walking over to greet her. Dragon's kinda boring actually. It doesn't talk. "Hello. Long way from home, huh? he says, eying her gear. "My name's Fizahn. That dragon bothering you? It's my friend's, I guess. So, what brings you to Imilmar? If you have business in this area, I promise we'll get the dragon sorted out soon."
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGirl

Woman in Plate Mail

The figure in the doorway, a short, muscular woman (at least, in human terms) with dark red hair clearly needs a few seconds before everything going on in the dining hall completely sinks in. Her mouth remains open for a while before realizing that someone had been talking to her. Blinking, she shifts attention from the dragon resting at the blond woman's feet and looks down at the gnome addressing her. "Um...I, ah...hello. Fizahn, was it? My name is Gala." She struggles for a second, trying to recall what else he said to her. "Um. My business here? Well, right now I'm looking for that group of people that came here last night, the ones the whole city's been talking about. Looks like finally somebody lit a fire under that big throne of the Iron Lord." She allows herself a quick grin. "From what I understand, they have some information about that army, those hordes of drow and demons. I'd like to hear what news they bear firsthand rather than listening to the vague rumors being spread around." She adjusts the large bastard sword, settling it more comfortably between her shoulder blades. "When you plan on fighting someone, I've found it's best to know as much as you can about them beforehand." Lifting her eyes and scanning the room, Gala notices that most of the group that was talking to, or about, the dragon doesn't look Rashemi at all. "Oh." Her eyes widen, and looking down at Fizahn excitedly, she asks, "Would those people happen to be you? Wow, I hadn't heard you guys had a dragon too. How'd you get it to listen to you? You must have quite a tale to tell." She steps forward into the room a bit more and looks around at everyone before focusing back on Fizahn. "So, are the rumors true? Do you have news about this army? Where they come from, who's in charge, or what they want? I've heard so many different stories, I don't know what to believe anymore."

27. - Top - End - #1197

Khazrael

Khazrael flashes Gala a grin from his chair. He has relaxed somewhat, but is still a bit awestruck by the enormous dragon.

"Don't mind the dragon. He's friendly...I think."

He brushes a bit of feathery hair back from his face before continuing.

"The Army of Darkness has been tearing all over the Great Dale, last I saw. It's been a few months since I was down there, but recently they've been popping up in this area as well."

28. - Top - End - #1198

Damian

Damian rubs his chin thoughtfully, staring at the dragon. Something doesn't seem right here, but I can't figure it out. Spells, he thinks, I need spells. He barely even notices the newcomer, and is content to let Fizahn address her, but the disappearance of the Rashemi guard stirs him. "Tiriel, maybe you should put the dragon away, for now - before all of the Iron Lord's army rushes in here and tries to claim it. I think you should get that ring identified. I don't think it's as obvious as it seems."

He casually reaches around to the back of his belt under his jacket, and pulls out a dagger that appears new and extremely well-made, and begins twirling it, absent-mindedly. "Why did the ring bite Lissa last night, and yet it's perfectly happy with Tiriel, even though it clearly 'chose' Grynde yesterday? And why do I have a bad feeling the answer isn't something I'm going to like? Where is Lissa, anyway?"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

Tryntha

The Rashemi woman was content to bide her time waiting for a response from Callos. She could understand how a brass dragon in the dining hall could be more important than the man's skeletal arm.

Against her will she could not help but smirk at the continued bickering amongst the group. She was almost not surprised at all when the dragon laid its head down at Tiriel's feet. These were strange people indeed, and strange tidings seemed to follow them everywhere.

At the newcomers comments, Tryntha moves to stand in front of her and addresses her formally in accented common,

"Good morrow unto you Gala. I am Tryntha, an Ethran of these lands. Your presence here bespeaks a certain level of acceptance into Rashemani lands, but that does not give the freedom to besmirch the sanctity of our Iron Throne, nor it's rightful occupant."

Tryntha's expression softens from one of admonition into one of curiosity as she continues,

"I will assume that when you speak of learning of those you wish to fight...that you mean the army and not those who have brought news of said army to these lands. If you do intend the latter, then I would caution against such things while they are within the protection of the Iron Lord, and more recently the dragon. Neither are a force you would likely wish to have against you in a land that is already barely tolerant of outsiders."

Though her speech is polite, it is stern enough to get her point across that proper manners would well be used when visiting a foreign land.

When finished with her statements, she looks to Tiriel, Fizahn, and Callos and offers a slight nod before moving to sit at a nearby table where she situates herself and begins busying herself with checking the healing supplies in her bundle, though she is quite obviously keeping an eye on the scene before her.

30. - Top - End - #1200

Lissa looks as puzzled as Damian, and a little bit hurt as well. Like, Grynde, she had been rejected by the ring, and it is not clear why.

A retainer arrives and, unable to tear his eyes away from the dragon filling the dining hall, mumbles something about the Iron Lord requesting the presence of Faluil, Desmona, Lissa, and Achkby.

The four of them - elf, human, gnome, and halfling - are escorted away for an early private audience with the Iron Lord.

The rest of you look over the newcomer, a fighter by her looks. She is clearly a recently arrived foreigner much like most of the rest of you.