New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Tiriel

After resting Tiriel upends her bag of holding and hands Trinark his armor before donning her own. Tiriel feels much more secure with her armor, her sword, and a "night's" rest. Yawning, she says, "I should go check on the druid. He may need help getting to us. I don't know anything about wildlife, but from what we saw last time in the Underdark it is rather empty here. We should probably get moving again soon."
    Tirel leaves and try to locate Rasko with Yix's help. She'll do what she can to assist him down the falls and then ferry him to the island if needed.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

2. - Top - End - #122

Lizardman Druid

'I live to hunt another day'

is the telepathic reply Yix receives in return. The sense of elation is quickly replaced with another of determination.

'Sethra and his dead.. abominations.. will not be spared so easily'

There are occasional pauses as he recalls an odd common word or two.
    He confirms that Spider-man(Callos)'s magic saved all the others and that he would mimic Feathers' spell and climb down as soon as he could find a path.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

The lizardman examines the small cave but finds little of interest. Standing at the cave's mouth, he touches the wall of water and can immediately feels its downward drag.

It soon becomes apparent that the druid's cave lies just below the upper lip of the waterfall. Perhaps the rock was softer here and was slowly eroded over time. When the druid was swept over the edge he must have somehow managed to catch the lip and tumble into the cave. Or perhaps Semuanya truly watches over him and guided him to safety ...

Getting out of the cave proves to be a bit of a challenge. Simply climbing out proves to be almost impossible, even with the help of a spider climb spell, due to the force of the falling water. In the end, using Yix's telepathic coordination, the druid and half-angel hit upon a bold plan.

The lizardman retreats to the back of the cave, then charges towards the opening, plunging directly into the waterfall itself. The water drags him downward, but as he pierces the front face of the waterfall, Tiriel swoops down from above, catches him under his arms and then peels him away from the waterfall.

The gamble pays off, and Tiriel ferries the druid back to the shelter of the stalagmite surrounded camp. Someone has produced an everburning torch so that the humans aren't left in complete darkness.

Refreshed and relatively dry, the party reorients itself. Underground, the temperature is cool, but not freezing. The underground stream continues to wend its way east, presumbly untimately emptying into (or under, Trinark points out) Lake Ashane. It might be possible to follow the stream to its destination.

The lack of life in this area remains concerning. The water itself is not obviously toxic. You consider the possibility of a predator nearby, making some of you nervous about having the torch bared.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-11 at 11:20 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

"For the gods sake Trinark, why do you have to bring up things like that right now?! I. Don't. Care. About. The. Lack. Of. Life. We just escaped from a battle that should have been the end of us in every sense of the word, and when we finally get a place to relax, you speak up with the 'This place is unnatural'. You know what? Let it be unnatural. For once, just once, let us see something disturbing and unnatural and do nothing about it. I'm tired, hurt, sleepy, grumpy, wet, and cold. A demon prince could come out of that stream and as long as he devoured my immortal essence quietly, I'd let him! Want to know something else? I have nothing left. Nothing. I'm running on the proverbial arcane fumes here. All I have, is the spell I cast up in the cistern and its of no use to us, not to mention I have to get up in the morning and crack open Elthan's, Feather Boy's, and...and...and that other guy's thoughts so that I might be able to try and rest easy at night without worrying about some Sethra or undead possessed person trying to knife me in the jugular vein. Lets not even talk about glow girl, cause thats a whole new can of worms and believe me when I say you don't want to go there!" Callos was panting by the time he had finished with his little rant, unable to keep in his frustration and irriatation any longer. It had just been poor Trinark's misfortune to hapeen to draw his attention when it had happened. And most of it was true as well, Callos was cold, wet, and tired as hell. The grown man looked as if he was ready to break down and cry from frustration....if it wasn't for the wild look in his eyes.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

With the seemingly grand feat done, Yix finally calms his mind and prepares for the task ahead.

6. - Top - End - #126

Tiriel

"Then shut up or do something Callos. Yelling at people isn't going to help anyone and we all feel like crap, not just you.
    At least we managed to get some rest."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

7. - Top - End - #127

You hear a strange mewing sound off in the darkness.

After a while, you are able to recognize it. It is the crying of a small child.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-12 at 09:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128

Elthan

Elthan, still huddling against the incline of the bowl after a poor rest, shows his first sign of activity by following Callos as he rants. Awaiting Tiriels accompanying snap, he attempts to cover up a short chortle of laughter. Swiftly, he calms himself down from the thought and proceeds to nod in agreement with Tiriel.

"I agree. Trinark did not suggest anything more than what you yourself said, that we should just move on hoping whatever it is doesn't bother us on the way out. Outburst won't help if you don't listen in the first place.

"As for the mind-reading, you know just what you'll get out of it. If you want me to speak my mind, all you need to do is ask. Besides, I'm not sure our two companions will agree to the act."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Trinark

The dark elve's face remains impasive throughout the tirade. Callos' breakdown had been a long time in coming. He was thankfull he had not collapsed completely as his own reserves of calm and serenity were starting to run low as well and comforting a broken humanoid was just a little beyond him at the moment. Living in mortal fear on this scale was not something that one should have to endure often, even in the underdark.

His keen elven ears are among the first to notice the keening of the child's cry. His brow furrows. This was more than unusual. No living thing within sight or hearing untill suddenly this... It made him even more uneasy.

"However much you do not want to deal with danger at the moment, Callos, I suspect that danger has just found us."

He pans his head from left to right trying to divine the direction of the sound.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

Kurt

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

"Does anyone else hear that? It sounds like a hurt animal, or... or a child crying..." Katrin carefully and slowly approaches the sound, with her hand on the the hilt of her sword, looking for the source of the sound. ...but what would a child be doing in the Underdark? If it's a child from the town, then how could it have escaped?
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-04-13 at 07:17 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

11. - Top - End - #131

The crying seems to be coming from the stream up ahead.

Thokk is among the first to leap over the edge of the protective stalagmite wall and run towards the child.

"I see her!" the dwarf calls back over his shoulder as he disappears from view behind an enormous rock column. There is a loud splash.

Several other members of the party also split off to investigate the noise. Some head off in one direction. Others in a different direction.

Katrin moves forward more cautiously, holding an everburning torch. Trinark stands at her side, his face uncharacteristically grim. The drow now knows what is happening and realizes that the party is in a tremendous amount of danger. "I think that you might want to put out that torch ..." he whispers to Katrin.

Tiriel and the lizardman join them as those of you that remain (including Callos, Elthan, Khazrael, Adalmar, and Yix) peer into the darkness, wondering where everyone else went ...

OOC: Message left for DS/Trinark in the Private Conversations thread ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-13 at 10:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132

Khazrael

In the choking darkness, Khazrael fusses with his hair in his hand mirror.

"Did she say something about a kid? Yeah, THAT'S not a trap."

Once satisfied with his hair, he calmly strolls forward in an effort to rejoin the others.

13. - Top - End - #133

Lizardman Druid

The druid had embraced a relieved Trinark on his return and had listened and agreed with his concerns. Knowing relatively little outside his native experience in the underdark and the rare scroll or skin about the Deep Earth in his mentor's huts had been sketchy at best , he was unable to help with his otherwise extensive knowledge on natural flora and fauna. . Unable to spot any tracks or other signs he could identify, he'd agreed with the general concern to move on just as the cry came.

Frowning he looks at Trinark's face in puzzlement. The expression that settles on it is sufficient for Ssathiya to react instinctively.

He swings up the club from his belt and hefts his shield onto his other arm.
    With his back to the group, he peers into the gloom, even up at the ceiling for a possible aerial attack.

"Keep the light", he growls softly as Trinark advises they extinguish it.

"We need. It no need" he explains ineloquently.
    OOC:
    Ready action
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-04-13 at 02:37 PM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yix

"Whats going on? Yix relays to the members that scattered off into the darkness. He peers around looking around for anything to entertain himself while the others run around.

15. - Top - End - #135

Adalmar

He is worried when he first hear the plaintive sounds, but he is bound to stay with the torchbearers for now. I am becoming a liability - maybe I should light my own... On the other hand, who knows how long we will spend down here.

"Where did the dwarf go ? Let's follow him !" He draws his sword - who knows what kind of predators inhabit this nightmare realm ?
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

16. - Top - End - #136

Aeroz

"Oh yes, follow the dwarf who has lunch with death itself every couple of tendays! We are in a dark cave Adalmar, one which could have a million and one creatures out to turn us into a midday snack." Aeroz exclaims in response to the Archer's suggestion.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

17. - Top - End - #137

Elthan

"No!" shouts Elthan in swift protest to Adalmar. As his voice echo's around the cavern, it is apparent his voice has quite more power than could be summed by looking or traveling with him. Elthan himself seems a bit surprised at this as well Clearly, he was just as stressed as Callos was. However, he carries on with the thought, albeit a bit softer.

"I do not like this. They all just, split off. To go chase a voice in the darkness? I know they know better than that. They know better than to ring a bell that never rang. Just, just stay here for now, Adalmar. I do not like this."

Already standing up and rested enough to replenish his strength, he cast Mage Armor upon himself, making him illuminate the area for a brief moment before fading.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

18. - Top - End - #138

Trinark reconsiders about the torch when the druid speaks, "You're right, my friend."

If there are indeed aboleths about, they already know where we are, and the humans will need the light.

Lumpy, uncharacteristically rash, follows Thokk out of sight. Fizahn, Achkby and Lissa are also missing. Did they run off or are they nearby?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

The necromancer sat up abruptly as he heard the sound of a child's scream, eyes darting from side to side as if to locate the source of it. He knew it! He had known it! He had even warned all of the others about it but nnoooo why listen to him?

...Alright, perhaps that part didn't need nearly as much explanation.

"Trinark...do we need to leave? Answer honestly."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

20. - Top - End - #140

Adalmar

His face takes on a stubborn expression. "I am not saying we run after him. But he had found something." He is also quite clearly avoiding Elthan.

He takes out an everburning torch from his backpack, and holds it in his left hand ; he also straps his buckler on. At the same time, he's calling one of the only names his brain can come up with now : "Lissa ? Where are you ?" He starts very low, but steadily increases the volume and he won't mind shouting if she doesn't reply.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-04-13 at 10:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141

Khazrael

When his short search turns up no sign of the missing, he shouts to the others, "We've got a problem! If the others wandered into a trap, they're in trouble unless we show up, and we're in just as deep if they all die and leave us here alone!"

At a loss for ideas, he moves a hand to his chest and mutters a bitter-sounding phrase in a long-forgotten language. His pupils dilate and he gazes in the direction of the sound that drew the dwarf just moments before.

((OOC: Casting Detect Magic, which should register any currently in effect or lingering traces of already used spells in a 60ft cone emanating from Khazrael's position. It's focused on the area Thokk ran towards.))

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

...damn. It's a trap... there must be some type of creature over there, trying to lure us to it so it can eat us or something... Katrin stops advancing, peering warily towards the area where Thokk disappeared. "Trinark, you can see in the dark--can you tell what's out there? I can't see anything within the torchlight."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

23. - Top - End - #143

Tiriel

"You've got to be kidding me."
    She's been in the group long enough to no longer be surprised by rash actions, but charging off into the dark is more stupid than rash.
    "As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Callos in this matter. Trinark if you know what's out there please share, because I'd rather not charge after those already committed to meeting the reaper unless I have too."

Tiriel draws her sword and peers into the dark, her vision is better than a normals humans but she'd still quickly lost sight of those who'd left.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

24. - Top - End - #144

Khazrael

Tiriel's darkvision picks up Khazrael's reaction to her words. He turns, and even against the numb gray brought on by the darkness, his eyes seem eerily sharp. He spits, "Drop the attitude! They'd risk their lives for yours! Why not sweep the river by air and look for them instead of cowering in the dark?"

He returns to sweeping the area he originally set his magically-enhanced gaze on, striding forward slowly and steadily as he does so.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Don't you ever talk to Tiriel that way again feather head. She's demonstrated her bravery and loyalty on more then one occasion and for you to insult her integrity...NEVER do that. Are we understood?"

Came the chillingly cold voice from Callos as he rose up to his feet in the dark. An odd sort of outrage was filtering in past the quiet terror he was feeling. Odd for lots a reasons but mostly because he even cared that someone was insulting a woman that he utterly despised with every fiber of his being. Maybe it was cause only he should be allowed to do it.

He sure as hell didn't know but his tone did soften as the sound of brushing his clothes free of dirt. "Besides, she's not suggesting we just 'cower' here. Just we don't act like a bunch of damn fools and go running off."

26. - Top - End - #146

Trinark shakes his head. "There is no point in looking for our friends. If I am right, they are already dead. And we shall be too, if we do not leave immediately."

"I doubt that you would have a word for these abominations in your language. We call them aboleths and avoid them at all costs."

27. - Top - End - #147

Khazrael

Though Callos can't see it, Khazrael's face twists into a vitriolic snarl.

"What in Acheron is wrong with you people?! Wake up! A perfectly logical orc runs off after a baby that has no business being down here, our friends mysteriously vanish, and you're acting like it's no big deal and we should just leave?! Where are the warriors that took out the two-headed troll?! Where are the people who stood against a hundred dead and WON?!"

He spins on his heels to look at Katrin.

"This falls to us, then, Katrin? I don't believe that one Aboleth could beat half our group before we even knew it existed. If Lumpy or Thokk are still alive, the three of us should be able to take care of anything that's lurking around here. When you three are ready to grow up, you're free to join us."

"Raskoruran, I hope you're on my side here--every wasted word is a step towards death for the missing."

He slips his dagger from his belt and cautiously starts walking in the direction he saw Lumpy go. As he leaves, he mumbles something and gestures at the figures behind him.

Little Dragon, can you see in the dark, too? Help me look, but stay out of sight! We're all dead if they've killed the others.

((OOC: Casting Message on the others in sight before moving towards Lumpy's last location.))
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-04-15 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Forgot about ssath

28. - Top - End - #148

Adalmar

Though he can't bring himself to be as scalding as Khazrael, Adalmar finds himself agreeing. How can they so desensitized ? Wait, are they actually some band of villains ? The half-elf...

But, no, Tiriel, she can't be.

He steps forward. "I agree. We can't abandon them just like that. I won't pretend I know you" - and this time his eyes are fixed on Elthan - "and I don't know those aboleths but I have to try. I have lost enough friends. I won't just flee."
    His voice, shaky at first, becomes firm after the first few words. Lissa...

Torch and sword in hands, he joins Khazrael, shares a look with him. "Besides, how do we avoid this invincible creature ? Tiriel, you really could help."

29. - Top - End - #149

Lizardman Druid
    His first reaction had been a rising fury as the humans began to bicker when a powerful creature was stalking them out there.

But the fury was doused as Trinark surprised him with his suggestion to leave them for dead.
    He turns to look at his closest companion and his voice is quiet, soft and non-acusatory.

"I have never known you to feel.. such fear. You single-handedly saved my .. our lives many times. If there is truly something here that makes you say this then I fear for all of us........But I will not leave them."

He turns away and fixes his eyes back into the darkness.

The next words come as a whisper.
    "Go now. While there is still time."

There is only sadness and finality in his words and the druid speaks no more.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-04-15 at 08:47 AM.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Spoiler
    Show

Lumpy
    "I'd rather walk."

30. - Top - End - #150

Aeroz

"It may just be the stereotypes talking, but when the drow are afraid of something then it will always be best to run away, quickly." Aeroz states in a matter-of-fact fashion.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...