Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1530
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Callos

    "...If I could see you right now, I'd probably punch you. You don't hear very well, do you? Do you know why we got as far as we have? Because we, usually, take a moment to assess the situation before rushing off into in and not go running into danger. It may seem callous to you, but every second we spread preparing is another percent that we don't die in the process of attempting a rescue." He said flatly, looking around in the darkness futilely for...well anything. Even being able to find Khazrael would have a bonus to follow throw on the threatened blow. But when Trinark spoke, he couldn't help but pause and glance in that general direction, voice solemn. "Trinark...are you certain? You do not believe there is even a chance?"

    Waiting quietly for the answer before fumbling around for his back pack, spell book, and other belongings. Pulling them all unto his own shoulder as a cold numb feeling began to fill him up. "Druid...we need you with us. You must remember the greater hunt here! Sethra must pay for everything he has done and plans to do, especially for what he did to the hatchling Sheyra. I know it hurts but...we need to keep in mind the greater goal. Keep the remaining pack alive and well druid so the pack left behind will not have gone beyond for nothing. Please...stay. Too many might have been lost today for us to lose another."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Katrin

    "I don't know, Khazrael. I trust Trinark's judgement on this. Anything that could kill Thokk and Lumpy this quickly can easily take the rest of us out, and someone has to alert the Iron Lord. If we all die here, then we will have died for nothing. I suggest that we try to determine whether Thokk, Lumpy, Lissa, Achkby, and Fizahn are actually dead or alive before we do anything else. And keep away from the water..."
    Last edited by blackfox; 2007-04-15 at 10:05 AM.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Tiriel

    "Do what you want, but I am not going to join their reckless charge.
    It seems to me that there's a good chance that at least one of them was enchanted and was used to try and lure the rest of us over ... there.

    Let's get going, if it's nothing they'll catch up, otherwise, I'd much rather be safe than sorry. We're so close to our goal, it'd be a shame if none of us ever made it.
    "

    ooc: dr.Bob, is there "dry" land that we can walk on? Or are we going to have to find some other way to get out of the "cave"?
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    The two torches provide enough light to see each other's faces clearly.

    For perhaps the first time, the drow's calm countenance twists into an expression of ... is it annoyance, or perhaps truly fear? A moment later, he composes his features again.

    "It would take too much time for me to explain in words ..."

    The drow closes his eyes and sends images to Yix, which the pseudodragon in turn relays to the others nearby.

    You perceive through your mind's eye an enormous fish-like, amphibian aberration with three eyes set in the midline, burning with unnatural cunning and intelligence. The creature has three horrific, pulsating orifices set along the bottom of its smooth belly. It has several writhing tentacles and secretes a rancid, nauseating slime.

    The beast is depicted in the gray-green shades of darkvision. The aboleth is at least as large as the fell troll you battled just yesterday.

    Trinark adds words to his thought-picture, "The aboleth has ... (what is your word for it?) ... psionic powers that can break one's mind and bend it to the aboleth's will, and its touch dissolves flesh. No doubt our friends have succumbed to its illusions."

    You receive a new image, one of a drow child wading out into a shallow pool of water, reaching for a glittering bauble. Suddenly the child is grabbed by a slimy tentacle, his skin immediately turning translucent as it begins to dissolve. He opens his mouth to scream only to choke on a thick mucus that fills his lungs, suffocating him to death ...

    "And even worse, it is possible that we may be dealing with a brood of aboleths, not just one ..."

    The telepathic images and words fade from your minds, replaced by the plaintive cries of the lost girl ...


    OOC: The cries are coming from downstream. The cavern itself is enormous, however, and between Trinark and Adalmar, you are likely to be able to find a path through the stalagmite forest that avoids the stream.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-15 at 02:24 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Alright, time to catch up!

    Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

    Achkby spent the night fitfully. The unnatural sound of water echoing was utterly unnerving. He woke frequently, the lack of a moon bothering him more than it ever had before. He had exhausted his spell energies drying and warming himself and his friends the night before, which usually plunged him into a deep, exhausted slumber. But not tonight.

    He had laid out his sopping (before liberal applications of Prestidigitation) bedroll near Lissa and Fizahn, hoping to take comfort from sleeping with people his size, but it helped little. He woke early, when only Lumpy was awake, from the sound of it. Not daring to venture away from the others, he sat on top of his bedroll for his 'morning' meditation. He heard Lissa wake at some point, but ignored her, taking solace in the familiar patterns of the arcane that swam at the fuzzy edges of his consciousness.

    When others had arisen, Achkby had already packed his bag. He stayed close to Lissa in the dark, only daring to venture away from her when the everburning torch was unearthed from whoever's pack it had burrowed into. Though he's as worried as the others by Trinark's concern, he keeps his thoughts to himself. Unlike when they were back in the barn, he's reduced to his usual superfluousness, hurled outside of his sphere of influence. Which really seemed very, very small in this immense blackness.

    [hr]
    When the light is quenched, Achkby panics. "Light the torch!" he cries pitifully in his native tongue, not realizing no one can understand him. "What's going on?!"

    He does exactly what he had the whole morning: follow Lissa. Reaching out for her arm, he grabbed it just as she began running. He follows, attached to her sleeve, moving as fast as he can over the uneven ground.
    "Stop! Stop! Stop! Stop!"
    Though he yells for an end, he doesn't know what he wants to stop -- Lissa, the crying, the darkness, the whole adventure -- why not everything? Why can't it all cease? If he stops running, will the darkness just go rushing past him, taking that horrible noise with it, sweeping off and leaving him dry and safe?

    Lissa takes a sharp turn right, and Achkby tries to follow, but steps on a slick patch of moss and overbalances, his heavy pack sending his hurtling sideways away from the gnome into a wall. He's stopped, but everything's spinning. The darkness is still there. There's silence for a moment, but then the crying begins again. A moment later, a splash -- Lissa?! No, no, it was much louder than someone Lissa's size. It couldn't be her! No.

    Achkby tries to follow the sound of the splash, but after three steps he comes up against another wall. What is this? Is it just an echo? A phantasm? Where's Lissa? And the others? Where should he go?

    So dark... should he summon some light? Dare he?

    Achkby stands still, breathing hard. His head is still spinning, and the sound of the waterfall and the crying echo about him. He raises his hands to begin casting a spell when suddenly, unprovoked, terrible images begin manifesting inside his head.

    an enormous fish-like, amphibian aberration with three eyes set in the midline, burning with unnatural cunning and intelligence. The creature has three horrific, pulsating orifices set along the bottom of its smooth belly. It has several writhing tentacles and secretes a rancid, nauseating slime.

    Yix!

    "Yix!" he shouts. The cry echoes off the walls, and the monstrosity in his head wavers. He clutches it to him, pushing aside his horror and disgust to grasp the image as firmly as he can.

    Yix! Achkby screams in his head. Yix? Is that you?

    It has to be.

    Yix! Help!
    Last edited by HempRope; 2007-04-15 at 03:07 PM.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Koji's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Khazrael

    Save for Yix, those who failed to follow Khazrael hear a snippet of his voice floating on the cave's drafty air, though the language is unfamiliar to them.

    "Damn you a hundred times, Cowards!"

    His pace picks up and he touches Adalmar's shoulder, a familiar surge of energy transforming him subtly. His hand falls to his own chest and he involuntarily shudders, his body wracked with the strain of change. He regains his composure and gestures again. He drops to a crouch and springs forward impossibly far. His hands connect with a stalagmite and he swarms around it, rushing towards the "trap" while keeping his body as far from the ground as possible.

    ((OOC: Yelling at them in abyssal, casting spider climb on Adalmar, then spider climb and jump on himself before moving towards Lumpy's last location.))

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Achkby turns so that his back is to a large stalagmite. He looks back and sees a faint glow. Torches? Or is it some kind of illusion? A sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach reminds him that he lost track of Lissa. Where is she? ... Where am I?

    ...

    The girl's cry continues unabated. Another cry, this one male, calls out from a slightly different direction. "Yix!" The pseudodragon hovers in mid-air, undecided. Achkby? Or is it some kind of illusion?

    ...

    Khazrael pushes past Adalmar, imbuing him with the spider climb ability once more. Khazrael stalks forward into the darkness, seemingly not caring whether anyone follows. He leaps toward a stalagmite, then scuttles to the other side and is gone from sight.

    Adalmar takes a few steps forward as well, holding his torch aloft. He looks back at the others, imploring them to come forward as well.

    ...

    Trinark watches the newcomers edge away from the main group and sighs. What is it about the surface races that make them so impulsive and irrational?
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-15 at 05:17 PM.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Tiriel

    "Gods damn them. Adalmar get back here if you know what's good for you! There's no way any of us are going to make a difference against one, if not more, of those things."

    Stopping to take a breath, Tiriel realizes that there is at least one person shouting actual words.
    Yix, can you see who that is? If not, could you lead me to their general direction?

    Tiriel motions for silence, hoping that the small dragon can pinpoint the noise.


    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Adalmar

    He doesn't understand the words of the lizardman, but his tone conveys their meaning well enough. He shivers, briefly.

    ...

    Revulsion seizes him as an uninterrupted flow of nightmarish images shoves aside his thoughts. He can taste bile at the back of his throat. Stop ! And with that his mind closes up, the ordeal thankfully over.

    ...

    His eyes sweep the group, and their faces that suddenly seem so cold, even bathed in the torch's glow. They won't be moved. He lets out a deep sigh, turns around and climbs up a stalagmite, imitating Khazrael.
    "Khazrael, wait ! Speed will avail us nothing if we fall prey to the abomination. Slow down !"

    He proceeds on more carefully than the sorcerer, stopping often to search the darkness and listen. Kir is flying in circles around him, more agitated than usual.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure how many Listen (+13) and Spot (+13) checks are going to be needed, DR, so I'll let you take care of them ? Or tell me how many Adalmar gets before something happens/he detects something.

    If at all possible, he ties the torch to his belt/backpack and keeps his sword in hand.
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Koji's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Khazrael

    Adalmar's words hang in the chill air behind him and he resolves to at least slow his pace. He scuttles as high as he can in order to keep out of reach of anything lurking in the dark, and pauses for a moment. He scans the edges of his dim gray vision and waits to see Adalmar's form emerge with his torch.

    "Adalmar! Thokk and Lumpy aren't exactly in a position for us to be taking our time, here!"

    I am the wind. I am the eagle. I call the lightning. I'll be thrice-damned before I let any slimy fish scare me. I've seen worse. I've faced hordes of drow, vampires, a two-headed troll, and some of the most frightening women in all of Faerun. If only the others believed in themselves...

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Yix circles around Tiriel and the druid, chittering excitedly. Zipping between and around the large stalagmites and stalactites, he disappears from view, then returns just moments later. It's Achkby!

    Yix leads Tiriel to the frightened halfling, and the two of them lead him back to the main party. "Where's Lissa?" she asks with concern.

    ...

    Adalmar leaps from stalagmite to stalagmite cautiously until he catches up with Khazrael. The two of them cling to a column of stone and look out onto a pool of water where the stream seems to have widened.

    Adalmar's torchlight reflects off of the mirror calm surface of the water. In the center of the small pool (perhaps 20 feet away) a little girl, race indeterminate, sits on a rock jutting out of the water. Her face is buried in her hands as she sobs inconsolably.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-16 at 06:00 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Adalmar

    "I can be pretty naive" Adalmar begins - a strange admission of his own shortcomings - "but something's not right about this."

    He observes the scene around him, looking for signs of the predator the drow fears.

    He calls out : "Lissa !". He glances at Kir, hoping the hawk's superior vision will reveal something : "Kir, see something ?"

    Then, just in case : "Girl, have you seen anyone here ?". He repeats in the various languages he knows.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually get +2 to Listen/Spot against the aboleth since it's among my favored enemies.
    Listen ; Spot (1d20+15=34, 1d20+15=16)
    Kir : Listen ; Spot (1d20+4=24, 1d20+16=29)
    Last edited by namo; 2007-04-16 at 07:00 AM. Reason: rolls
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Kir circles the pool, avoiding the stalactites protruding from the cavern's ceiling. The hawk appears puzzled.

    The surface of the lake creates a perfect inverted reflection of the sobbing girl on the rock. There is no sign of Thokk or Lumpy (or Lissa for that matter).

    A chill runs up and down both Khazrael's and Adalmar's spines. Both also share a hard-to-define feeling inside their heads, as if a mild headache is brewing, one that can not be localized ...

    The girl finally stops sobbing. She lowers her hands from her face revealing three eyes lined up vertically on the midline, from her forehead down to where her nose should have been. Her mouth is a gaping black hole. The corners of the mouth crinkle into what might pass as a smile ...

    ...

    Back at the camp, Tiriel, Yix, Katrin, Achkby, Trinark, Callos, Aeroz, and the lizardman notice that the sobbing has stopped.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-16 at 09:52 AM.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Koji's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Khazrael

    Khazrael blankly evaluates the creature, recognizing the three eyes as a parallel to Trinark's description. He tries to recall whether he'd learned anything of these beasts during his time in the Underdark.

    "Aboleth, I know what you are. No facade is necesary. If you feel like speaking before we come to violence, we would be happy to oblige. We only want to get our friends and get out of here."

    His undercommon sounds eloquent, despite a distinct strained effort to make it as casual as his speech in common. A listener might mistake him for a drow if they couldn't see him. As he speaks, he tries to move to a safe perch on the stalagmite, motioning for Adalmar to do the same.

    He attempts to send a message to his allies back at the camp, but the cluttered landscape catches his message and blocks it.

    ((OOC: Hoping to apply the appropriate knowledge checks to allow Khazrael to identify whether this is an illusion or a shapeshifted form, as well as anything else applicable. Trinark did mention that aboleths trick people with false images.))

    Last edited by Koji; 2007-04-16 at 10:30 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Adalmar

    He looks at Khazrael, puzzled. "What are you saying ? Anyway, I agree we should take better cover."

    He climbs up and to the side of the stalagmite, sheathing his sword and preparing to use his bow.
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Koji's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Khazrael

    "I told it that we're willing to pack up and leave without a fight. No sudden moves unless it decides to attack, alright?"

    Struck by a sudden thought, he continues in undercommon.

    "I see that you have made this place your home. I tell you now that even if you defeat us, we are being pursued by a foe that would destroy you and enslave your remains. This foe has a weakness that I am willing to share. You know what I ask in return."
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-04-16 at 11:07 AM.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    HempRope's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Kalamazoooooo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Achkby

    Yix! "Tiriel!"

    Achkby starts towards the woman, but is stopped by her words about Lissa.

    "I don't know! She took off, and we were running, I was following her, but I don't know where we went, I yelled for her to stop, but she turned, and I slipped, and I lost her! I lost myself, too, all I could hear was that sobbing, that crying, but then I heard, I heard... I don't know! I don't know where she is. I heard...

    "Where are the others?
    "
    Last edited by HempRope; 2007-04-16 at 11:17 AM.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

    GO BLUE

    The biggest problem with the alignment system is that it encourages us to choose.

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Tiriel

    "I don't know. I don't like leaving anyone here but I also know that there's not much I can do to help anyone who's been found by that monster."

    By the time they get back to camp Tiriel has decided that getting those still alive out of danger is more important than trying to rescue people who might already be dead. Crap. Well here's where I get to be the ******* and tell everyone to leave...

    "Okay we're going, NOW. They know what they're up against and they still ran in like fools. You can blame me and hate me later, but it's time to leave."

    Tiriel picks up her pack and starts walking, trying to pick a path away from the water and in a general "Eastwards" (downstream?) direction.
    Last edited by kuja.girl; 2007-04-16 at 11:31 AM.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Lizardman Druid

    Accompanying Tiriel he reaches Achkby's side. He clasps a clawed hand on his shoulder, a visible expression of relief on his face.

    "I find her" he swears to the halfling.

    Hearing Tiriel, he grunts
    "Find way out. I save as many and find you"

    He doesn't look her in the face, staring into the darkness where the two newest additions to their company disappeared to save his missing packmates.

    Casting SpiderClimb on himself, he feels his body tingle slightly and walks up the wall heading to the voices of Khazrael and Adalmar.

    "Tell Tongues farewell"

    is the last thing Tiriel, Yix and Achkby hear.

    He steels himself as he prepares to face the mostrosity that Trinark's mind flashed to them. All the humans he'd met in this momentuous quest flash through his mind.

    Memories of Thokk dying at a bridge and Callos and Djital transforming flit past as well as one of a sleeping Sheyra beside him. Lastly he remembers his first meeting in the Wetwoods. Only Elthan remained and the death of Evandur was still too fresh for him to trust the wizard. Everyone else was dead or dying. This wasn't about a blood debt. He wouldn't throw his life away foolishly. It was a rescue.

    Fear had frozen him on that stone bridge and made him watch Thokk die once.

    Not this time. The stride of the druid was more paced now. He moved the way predators did when they were stalking .

    There was more than one hunter in the darkness.
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-04-16 at 03:30 PM.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Dark_Stalion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Behind you.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Trinark

    Trinark looks deeply sad. He had done everything he could and there was nothing more that he could do. He turns to make one last effort to stop the lizardman, his friend, his companion without whom he would have never come this far, sacrificing himself so pointlesly to this abomination of the dark waters. He had lost friends before to these creatures and he didn't want to lose more, but their quest was far too important to risk everyone.

    He looks into the darkness after the retreating lizardman's back, his hunting instinct taking over as he sees the lithe movements his back starts to make, natural and unhindered, unlike the stiffness he had seen in him most recently. He looked in the other direction, after Tiriel the golden angel.

    His mind was made up. Tiriel was enough to finish the mision herself. His friends needed him and he had been afraid for far too long. Now was the time for him to face his fear, face it along side his friends and win. They were strong, so strong compared to any he had met before. If anything it was the lizardman's dissapointment that hurt the most.

    With his heart beating like a thousand drums in his chest he padded after the sinuous grreen tail of his friend, his armor making chinking noises at each step.
    The management holds no responsibility for loss of sanity while reading this post.

    Kurt

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Dr._Bob's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maryland, USA

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    The lizardman slips into the darkness after his friends. Shaking his head, Trinark follows.

    Her jaw set with determination, Tiriel heads in the opposite direction, aiming for higher ground. She is accompanied by Katrin and Aeroz.

    Elthan, Yix, Achkby and Callos look back and forth from one group to the other, undecided.



    OOC: Ssathiya, Trinark, Khazrael, and Adalmar all need to make DC 15 Will checks immediately.
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-16 at 08:49 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Aeroz

    "This is insane! If Trinark is right then I don't know how they can expect to rescue the others." Aeroz states with a sigh as he follows Tiriel.

    Accelerating his pace to be walking alongside her, he takes a deep breath.

    "Tiriel, why did you do it? Why did you steal the Kris?"
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Callos_DeTerran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ...

    Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Callos

    "Grrr....CAN'T YOU PEOPLE AT LEAST MAKE THE PRETENSE OF LISTENING TO ME ANYMORE?!" Callos screamed out at the darkness, and those with darkvision could see his face turning darker. Redder if there would be color. What didn't those empty headed knuckle heads get?! Trinark said they'd already be dead or worse, yet they charging off after a futile hope.

    "Tiriel...couldn't you have...you know..grabbed them or something. Stopped them from going running off? I mean geez, what the heck are we supposed to do to help them or the others who went off before hand?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

    Spoiler
    Show




  24. - Top - End - #174
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Koji's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Khazrael

    Khazrael puts a hand to his head, blinking repeatedly. In the flickering torchlight, Adalmar fails to notice that anything has gone awry until he hears an oddly familiar metallic clinking--the sound Khazrael's bangles make as he moves his hands to complete the pattern for the Lightning Bolt spell.

    Spittle hangs off of his shaking lips as he hoarsely barks out the incantation, and his face is briefly illuminated by the brilliant blue glow of burning electricity that streaks toward Adalmar.

    ((OOC:Lightning bolt on Adalmar, 6d6=22. Reflex half, DC 16. Sorry bud, whiffed my saves hard.))
    Last edited by Koji; 2007-04-17 at 12:22 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground
     
    runehawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Lizardman Druid

    Voices enter the druid's head crowding out all semblance of coherent thought and thru it all the slowly growing nudging of an alien mind. The tendrils of the alien mind were insidious and subtle.

    Obey
    they whispered.

    Give In
    they echoed.

    A throbbing pain erupted as the sensation of the aboleth's mental presence grew as if it was physicaling crushing his brain and occupying the space within his skull.

    Clutching his head, he roars out.

    OOC: Will Save 20 +7 = 27

    Hearing a cry below him, he looks up from the ceiling to the floor to see Trinark clutching his head.

    Roaring he rushes to him to pin him down.

    The moon!.. Focus on the moon!
    he thinks.

    OOC:If i can.. pin Trinark's arms to his side and carry him out of range
    Last edited by runehawk; 2007-04-17 at 02:05 AM.
    Raik Ir'Ghandalla ; Chiron ; Tanis Torrn d'Thraask


    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

    Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

    "We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    namo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Adalmar

    He felt mental tendrils brushing his consciousness, then nothing. Suddenly they came back and struck with incredible power. But sheer stubbornness was on his side. Feeling dazed, he looks at Khazrael, a question on his face. Only to see the gestures, and brilliant death coming for him. He screams when the electricity wreathes around his body, making his muscles jerk incontrollably. Then after a second that seems an eternity, it ends.

    Abomination...

    And cold calculation enters gentle Adalmar's mind, brought in by adrenaline. Survival. Where to go, how to save Khazrael...

    He gives his surroundings a quick look. "Kir, to me !" he exclaims, and suddenly he stuffs the torch into a side pocket of his haversack : darkness rules again. He then gets away from the possessed sorcerer.

    Hidden and silent, he hears a roar that sounds oddly like the lizardman.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Remaining HP: 9. I figure it's a std action to put the torch away, which leaves me a move action to either climb up or jump to another stalagmite - the idea being that Khaz can't see me anymore and/or I have total cover.

    Time to make use of all the skills : Move Silently, Hide (moving at half-speed for this reason), plus Listen to get a sense of what happens around me.

    I think I already used the spell that gives me blindsense - and for nothing. Shame.
    Last edited by namo; 2007-04-17 at 02:31 AM.
    My old characters (I don't game on this board anymore) --- Avatar by Castaras

    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    blackfox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Katrin

    Katrin hurries after Tiriel with a grim expression. "Aeroz, this is about the worst time that I can think of to bring this issue up. If you want to talk about it later, fine, but right now we're trying to get out of here alive. And that means we can't slow down to argue."
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    King_of_GRiffins's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Lost within my mind
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Elthan

    Elthan had since sat down. It seemed very clear that everyone had their own idea of what to do, and were as stubborn as usual in not giving up. Maybe Lumpy was right; The group could stand to benefit from a bit of decisiveness.

    Then again, Lumpy was dead, or at least everyone was content to label his fate as such. Who else in the group had such decisiveness? Maybe he was just lucky in guessing, but it did seem as if Lumpy knew exactly what he had done when he barged in at the Common House.

    At this point, it was certain that all of the party that remained knew he had killed Evandur, but what exactly did Lumpy divulge while he was not observant? What if he had said no more than Evandur was dead and hoped to sort everything out after the fight? What if no one else saw the room in question, with its tell-tale circle and bloody sword and spear? It could be, with the best of luck on his side, that when Lumpy died, so did the truth of the matter.

    Even so, it would take a bit more to continue the lie. Even if the group did not know everything, they did know something. It was that collection of facts that could overturn his escape. If he would play the lie, he must first force their hand.

    None of that mattered when the deep cry of the Lizardman pierced the surroundings. Could it be that the Lizardman had died as well? The last member of the party that had fled into the portal save himself, gone with all the others? He had trusted him with his name, that so far as he was aware, only he knew. How could it be, that even so far into the journey, the Lizardman would die nameless to the ones he traveled with?

    It became clear to Elthan just how far away he was from were he started. Form the crazy old man, from the marshes, from his home. The only tangible link he had left was the Lizardman. No, not Lizardman, or Druid.

    Rushing a few feet past the collected party, he steps into the darkness and lets out a yell of concern. "Ssathiya!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    kuja.girl's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    central valley, CA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Tiriel

    Tiriel grits her teeth in frustration. "I've only got one free hand Callos, which one did you want me to grab? If I knew how to help them don't' you think I would have !?! That's not an enemy I know how to fight and some of us need to make it out alive and get to the Iron Lord.

    "And damn it Aeroz, Katrine's right. I'm not going to talk about that until we're out of here since the answer isn't going to help anyone!"


    ooc: is it too late for Tiriel to grab Trinark? Because she'd at least have tried to keep him with them...
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Frojoe21's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Torontonia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

    Aeroz

    "Yeah, its a terrible time, but that's been eating away at me for a while. Don't want to talk about it, thats fine. Just needed to get that off my chest before some fish monster eats us" Aeroz states blandly.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

    Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

    Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •