New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

I meant before the rest of us went up! By all the mighty gods, how thick can she be? No use in scouting the area once the rest of us are already there. Yix understood -- and they think humans are smarter than four-legged creatures?

Achkby doesn't seem eager to queue for the climb, and ascends toward the end of the group. While he's pleased to be back on familiar ground, he rather wishes it wasn't frozen. He's from the south, after all, and while they had snow, it was nothing like this.

"Which side are we on?" he asks suddenly.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

2. - Top - End - #212

Adalmar has already oriented himself by the movement of the sun. The ranger assures Achkby that they are all still on the western shore of Lake Ashane and haven't miraculously crossed under the Lake. In fact, the very idea of such an underground lake crossing strikes the ranger as quite humorous.

A quick survey reveals no signs of nearby life other than the seabirds in the sky.

A clatter of stone catches Aeroz's attention. The elf hisses a warning to everyone else, and calls their attention back to the sinkhole.

A misshapen crooked figure moves in the shadows at the bottom of the pit. Someone or something appears to have followed you out from the Underdark ...
    Last edited by Dr._Bob; 2007-04-25 at 12:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Tiriel

"That's because large flying targets are rather obvious and ..." She stops at Aeroz's warning. Glancing down the sinkhole reveals some...thing, probaly not a "someone." Tiriel quickly reels in the rope hanging over the lip of the hole.
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel
    {Board Dice Roller} [Roll=name]#d+#[/roll]

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Necromancer's Pact VIII: The Rising Tide

Callos

He may have been slow to move over to the edge of the pit but when he did, those opal eyes began to burn with more then a little bit of anger and he cracked his fingers slowly. And when he spoke, it was much like Lumpy's gravelly voice.

"Unless your a misshapen and grouchy half-orc, you have about three seconds to convince not to turn you into a living lightening rod. Now waggle that tongue of yours if your able!" He snapped out even as he pulled his spellbook out from his belt.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #215

Khazrael

Khazrael looks expectantly at Trinark. "Use your faerie fire so we can see him. It might be Lumpy."

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin highly doubts that the misshapen figure in the sinkhole is Lumpy, and she draws and loads her crossbow, although she does not aim at the figure, at least until she is certain what it is.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

The figure's head snaps up at the appearance of voices upon the sinkhole's rim, eyes glittering darkly in the shadows. It roars a belligerant response, not initially apparent as words over the great distance,

"Don't think I can't hit yer ugly mug with a rock from here, mage! Quit messing around!"

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Ahh, the sound of party members bickering in the morning. The sound of home... you know, that's kind of disturbing once Lissa thinks about it. She tries to calculate how long she's been on the road now as she wades through the snow. Two years? Maybe three. Too long, at any rate. I hope my home is still there when we're done... Lissa firmly pushes away such gloomy thoughts into a dark mental corner.

Upon spotting the figure, Lissa swiftly crouches behind a rock and aims her crossbow, squinting into the darkness. "Hey, that looks kinda familiar... LUMPY!" Then she frowns. "How do we know you aren't that blob-thingy trying to come up and eat us? It disguised itself as you before!", the gnome shouts down. "Tell us something only the real Lumpy knows!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

9. - Top - End - #219

Why the hell did y'all assume it was Lumpy rather than, say, Thokk?

Achkby follows the others back to the hole, peering down over Lissa's shoulder at whatever has emerged from the tunnels behind them.

"It was a fish," he whispers to Lissa.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Nonplussed, the figure folds its arms, roaring back a response to Lissa's query

"Lessee, I been torn up by more different sort of things in the past few months than I have in the entirety of my life prior ta them. Lemme know when ya've got enough!" He begins to recite a list, business-like,
    "Drow, driders, zombies, statues, ghosts, demons, hydras, a troll, skeletons, vampires, bats.. BATS, and one overlarge fish with a propensity fer giving me a headache. That cover it? Or how about: My birth name is Edgar. Ask the elf!"

11. - Top - End - #221

Aeroz

"The fish could have easily found that out! Here's one the it probably wouldn't have thought of: What was the name of that weird city in the underdark that had that shadow forest? Answer that and I'll be damn sure it's you." Aeroz calls out to Lumpy.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"Hells, I don't even know that one. More important things on ym mind at the time than what flying gnomes name their cities."

13. - Top - End - #223

Tiriel

Tiriel looks in confusion between Aeroz and the could-be-Lumpy.
    "Callos, what we saw back in the cave, that was an illusion right? Because those fish-things don't look like they could climb ropes... but half-orcs can."
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

14. - Top - End - #224

Khazrael

"Oh for Malcanthet's sake, someone just let him up already! Hasn't he been through enough, what with you all leaving him behind?"

15. - Top - End - #225

Interestingly, the fact that Lumpy can't remember the name of the gloaming city reassured Aeroz more than if the half-orc actually had been able to retrieve that trivia from his cortex.

The elf nods to Khazrael, and soon the rope is lowered back down into the pit and Lumpy is warmly reunited with the group.

The half-orc notes the missing party members - Fizahn, Thokk, the lizardman, and Yix - without comment.

Once all are reassured that Lumpy is indeed well and himself, you turn your attention again to the two towers - the closer one to the north, and the farther one to the south. Lumpy peers over the edge of the cliff. The frozen lake lies hundreds of feet down. There is no obvious path down to sea/lake-level.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

There was an almost rakish smile on his face when the half-orc was pulled out of the pit, even if he was more then a little bit suspicious behind the expression. After all how couldn't he be? But it didn't keep him from welcoming the fact that another one of their number had in fact returned to them. And from having a little fun at Lumpy's expense.

"Who are you calling ugly, ugly? It's nice to see you again though Lumpy, how'd you escape by the way?...And you won't mind me scanning your mind...just to be sure, will you?"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #227

Adalmar

He listens incredulously to the bickering among the group - though he is beginning to understand it is their way of coping with... well, everything.

"Hmm, shall" He coughs, getting his voice back. "Shall we try to go to the closest tower ? We'd get a better view of the lay of this shore."
    "Even gods must learn to control their tempers, lest they set a bad example."
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

18. - Top - End - #228

Khazrael

Khazrael nods to Adalmar. "We might also be able to see the advancing army, if they're close enough. It could be important to know what they're doing."

19. - Top - End - #229

Elthan

Though at first Elthan seems to cheer up at the mention that one of their friends had survived, he quickly returns to his former state upon confirming the identity. When Lumpy reaches the top, Elthan does his best to avoid eye contact, hiding his face whenever he feels Lumpys gaze.

With his head down, he faces the nearest tower and thinks out loud. "It would make sense if one of them had a way down."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

20. - Top - End - #230

Tiriel

"Agreed. There might be some supplies we could use there as well. We should go, it's not good to stay so ...visible."

ooc: what time of day is it?
    Player Registry link
    Characters:
    ____Tiriel

21. - Top - End - #231

Achkby, too, is pleased to see Lumpy again. If nothing else, the half orc is imminently reliable, and his disappearance had been nearly as discombobulating as Yix's.

"I suppose maps would be too much to hope for..." he says as they begin the trudge toward the tower.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

Katrin

Katrin is relieved to see that Lumpy really is alive and well and not an illusion. Lumpy was--is--a valuable member of the group.

Katrin looks around for something to attach a rope to if the group were to descend to the lake.
    The Feud continues!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash Kazdar View Post
    - Feud, the: The 'secret' plot to do something to BlackFox for some reason no one seems to really recall. Accusations of a government cover-up concerning the Feud remain unsubstantiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
    Hoseki looks between Blackfox and El Jaspero. "...I think the Elemental Plane of Fire has frozen over."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"LUMPY!" A small leather-clad projectile hurls itself at the half-orc, enveloping one of his legs in a ferocious hug. "Omigods I'm so glad you're not dead! We thought for sure you were, I left the offerings for the dead and everything!" Fortunately for Lumpy, Lissa gets her act together in fairly short order and releases his leg, beaming up at him before resuming her watch for approaching enemies.

Hearing Callos' comment about mind scans, Lissa gives the necromancer a mischievous grin- something that's been all too lacking in the past few days. "Oh ho, you want to scan our minds, do you? Go right ahead, I'm sure you'll like today's mental image even more than you did the last one!" She bursts into giggles at the thought.

Lissa nods in agreement with the plan to head for a tower. "Good idea, Adalmar. If nothing else, it'll give us somewhere to hole up if those vampires show up again." She rubs the back of her neck uneasily. "Speaking of which, have any of you magely types come up with an idea for getting this evil rune off of me?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

24. - Top - End - #234

Khazrael

"I don't know the first thing about getting rid of curses, sorry. Isn't that the kind of thing you religious types usually handle?"

25. - Top - End - #235
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy seems unscarred in every sense of the word, neither his already-marred visage or taciturn nature damaged by the encounter in the caverns. He is quick and to the point in dealing with the greetings and concerns of others, only accentuating the urgency of their position,

His response to Callos is perhaps the longest, "I didn't escape on account'a I weren't never caught. Never caught the dwarf though, and once the fish started handing out headaches what'd make yer nose bleed, I cut my losses. Just took me longer ta circle back around and find yer trail. And I do mind, a lot. Take my word or don't, but I submit ta nothing no more than ya'd submit ta me torturing ya. . . Just ta be sure."

Inititally, he has no words for Lissa, though he seems to have to resist the urge to pat her on the head when she grabs him. Afterwards, he presses a gold coin into her palm with a knowing nod, "I appreciated the offer, but don't count me out yet."

His final point of business addresses a concern not voiced, but one that hung in the air like a fog around them,

"The tower'll do fer now, long as we ain't hanging about too long.A quick hole-up." A hard eye turns to Elthan, "We got sorting out ta do before we go any further."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A critical look was in his eyes as the wizard looked over Lumpy with just a little hint of suspiscion in his eyes but gave a slow nod. After all, just how had he managed to avoid the fish abomination's mental attack and make his escape? Not that he didn't think the half-orc could do it...just that it didn't seem very likely. Maybe all he'd have to do is keep an eye on Lumpy in the future...like he should have with Elthan. A slight pang of guilt fluttered through him but it didn't keep a rakish grin from coming to his face when he looked over to Lissa.

"Don't tempt me Lissa. I'm sure the world would love to know more about gnome/halfling relationships...could probably even make a couple good book deals on it if I market it right. Heh, well that'd definitly be one way to get some gold in my pouch."

However the statement from Lumpy caused him to whip his head around to look at the misshapen half-orc and shook his head. "No. No, we don't. I trust the fact your not mentally dominated, you'll have to trust me with what Elthan did and how to fix it. Of course thats assuming its still the same as when I last was told about it."

27. - Top - End - #237

Achkby does his best to sink into the snow, but can't suppress the broad smile that takes hold of his cheeks.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

28. - Top - End - #238

There isn't enough rope to make a direct descent down the cliff face. Plus the party could probably use another night of rest before tackling the frozen Lake.

It is some hours past noon, Adalmar reckons. The party decides to head for the northern tower, which appears to be closer than the one to the south.

The trip there takes longer than one might have expected. The tower is much larger than it first seemed from a distance. It is almost dusk by the time you reach the tower. The ancient stone is bathed in an orange-red light from the setting sun to the west.

The walls are sheer and featureless, with no visible windows. There is also no obvious door.

As the sun begins to disappear over the horizon, the temperature drops noticably ...

29. - Top - End - #239

Khazrael

Despite the freezing temperatures, Khazrael doesn't put on any extra clothing. He barely seems to notice that the icy wind should be chapping the skin clean off of his bare arms. While the group surveys the tower, he munches on a handful of snow to stave off thirst.

"I can scale the side and look up top. Or I guess I could cast my climbing spell on Lumpy. Anyone else have any ideas?"

30. - Top - End - #240

Aeroz

"I recall my father once telling me that some of the most cunning and intelligent architects would put place escape routs and back doors in the most obvious of places."Aeroz states as he moves forward and knocks on the obelisk.

"This is still going under the assumption that this is a dwelling or a lookout. It could just be a glorified lawn decoration for all we know. It could even belong to Sethra or one of his cronies."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...