New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [Semi #1]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and entering The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #501 - #600 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on October 15th, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this semi-final will go on to the finals which will be held after the second semi-final is done. The two strips that get the most votes during the semis that DIDN'T win, will also reach the finals. So voting is extra special important this time around, as it will determine who the 'Wild Card' entrants are.

Last week, 593 Another Choice faced its final fate with a quiet dignity and decided it would rather face whatever laid beyond it then and there. As it turns out, its reward was securing the final placement in the Best of the Hundred Tournament.

Once again we turn to the best of the best. But which will be the best of the best of the best? We find that out by your votes. So join us all now in voting for.....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (501-600)
    ..............(Semi-Final #1)

Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [Semi #1]

530 > 505 = 550 > 520 > 538
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2014-10-10 at 03:07 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll take 538.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So, I didn't vote for any of these in the rounds of 10. Interesting. However, looking back on it I think I should have gone with #520 in that round, so I will vote for that one.

Peelee’s Lotsey

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

O-Chul, forgive me.
    538, by a very small margin.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

550 gets my vote.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

O-chul FTW

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I like O-Chul/MiTD, but I vastly prefer 549, so I will not vote for 550.

I don't think it is really that strong, but I'm in the mood to vote for 538 - Fiend or Foe?.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Looks like a batch of relatively weak strips to me....Fortunately, that makes it easy to go with the last panel of 505.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Compared to previous semis, this one is not such a contest. #538 it is.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Ehhh, these are all pretty good, but no all-time favorites here. Definitely a slow portion of the arc.

I'm going to go with 550: +1 BFF, because of the sweet ending. It might not be one of the greatest strips in the arc, but it's one of the most lovable.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueWizardGirl

550: +1 BFF, no contest. It's completely heartwarming, a great moment for both characters, and and an exemplar of what a paladin should be like.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm going with 550. Tough, but in hindsight it is probably the most important to the plot of these five.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Belkar killing is always amazing :D
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

15. - Top - End - #15

550 gets my vote.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I'll take one order of 550 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGirl

Only one that really comes off as deserving here. The others are just silly strips of varying humour with a side of 'Hey, Celia is actually pretty badarse'.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'll throw in a vote for 550 sure

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGirl

550 for me.
    I am: Neutral Good: -2 chaos, -21 evil and 15 balance!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Kommander View Post
    Heartless? Those flaming letters spelled ELAN! How many sons can honestly say their father has murdered dozens of human beings just to show how much they care?

Tarquin's fatherly love is truly unique... or at least I hope it is!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    First, I'm impressed that this topic went so far off topic that it ended up back at The Order of the Stick.
    Can't find the strip you're looking for? Head on over to OOTS Strip Summaries!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As 550 seems to be destined for an easy way through, I'll try to boost 505 to the grand finale of this century.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

550bfhfvfvgfvbvbbvvtvt
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

550. O-Chul would be disappointed if I voted otherwise.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

550, spent all of 10 seconds to make that decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

538 belkar all the way
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Happily 538.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Gotta admit, I was shocked at the early returns in this vote. Not a single vote for what I considered the runaway favorite in the first four votes, and it didn't pull into the lead until the vote got into the teens.

Just goes to show why one should wait until all the votes are in before seeing how things will go.

For me, there are some excellent strips here. Darkblood Gloomgloom is particularly hilarious. But nothing can compare with the sublime, at times quiet, brilliance of 550. It, IMO, is absolutely deserving to move on to the finals. And, perhaps, depending on how things shake out, the Best of the Thousand.

But that will be decided in a bit. For now, I am content to vote for it here.

And with that.....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

550 - +1 BFF is the winner of this semi-final! It now moves on to the finals for the Best of the Hundred tournament (501-600).

538 - Fiend or Foe? is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 6 votes and 505 - ...Or We Will All Stick Separately is currently holding down Wild Card spot #2 with 2 votes.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (501-600 | Semi-Final #1)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we continue this Best of the Hundred tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-15 at 03:01 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb