New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Ways to store/carry mounts

I'm going to be playing a halfling witch with a riding dog mount (medium size animal). I'd like to take him into dungeons and while size is not a problem, there are definite obstacles that could be an issue such as ladders or climbing walls.

I'm trying to find ways that if necessary i could either shrink him down to be carried, store him in extra dimensional space etc. I know i could cast fly but that seems a waste of a spell when it will often just be a quick obstacle.

I know there is reduce animal but its the same level of spell as fly and so would still be an expensive wand.

There is the onxy dog wonderous figurine but it's very expensive and has 1/week usage limit which makes it something you pull out for special occasions, not as a general purpose mount.

Can anyone think of some options for helping to get my dog around dungeons?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Ways to store/carry mounts

Well, going up and down is a matter of a rope and appropriate harness if you're not in a hurry due to running from/after something or being in combat.

Assuming you've got an ally with an apporpriate strength score who is willing to lend a hand.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2014-10-11 at 01:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Well, going up and down is a matter of a rope and appropriate harness if you're not in a hurry due to running from/after something or being in combat.

Assuming you've got an ally with an apporpriate strength score who is willing to lend a hand.
    Yeah this is the fallback plan, i was just hoping for something usefull when speed is an issue or it's a particularly high climb.

The "carry companion" spell, and small bag of holding are two options i've been given in another thread that would work

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

What comes immediately to mind for me is
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/...aled-companion
    However, the item says it only works on class feature mounts, companions, etc. Maybe point it out to your DM and ask if you can buy one that will work for your mount?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainshine View Post
    What comes immediately to mind for me is
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/...aled-companion
    However, the item says it only works on class feature mounts, companions, etc. Maybe point it out to your DM and ask if you can buy one that will work for your mount?
    While I think that figurine is awesome and it's a great help for cavaliers and druids who are fortunate enough to find one, did it really warrant the artifact tag? If that was a reasonably priced wondrous item it would solve a lot of issues with the classes that rely on mounts.
    Last edited by Kudaku; 2014-10-11 at 02:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Options:

Hosteling armor/shield
    Spirit's Gift feat (give an animal companion a fly speed or climb speed)
    Whistle of Calling
    Carry Companion spell

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kudaku View Post
    While I think that figurine is awesome and it's a great help for cavaliers and druids who are fortunate enough to find one, did it really warrant the artifact tag? If that was a reasonably priced wondrous item it would solve a lot of issues with the classes that rely on mounts.
    It looks like a good idea and i think the GM might be open to letting me have one. As far as the "artifact" tag, it's a "metagame artifact" without a price. I don't know if it's official or third party but the metagame artifacts page says they're basically in-game tools for the GM to use to explain boring phenomena that gets in the way of the story like "where did bobs character go when he didn't show up to the game" and why the partys mounts were suddenly at the exit to the dungeon when they left them at the entrance on the other side of the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Options:

Hosteling armor/shield
    Spirit's Gift feat (give an animal companion a fly speed or climb speed)
    Whistle of Calling
    Carry Companion spell
    As a small witch i can't make use of hosteling armor unfortunately although that would be good for a paladin etc. I can't spare the feat for spirit's gift, but the whistle of calling and carry companion spell both look useful.