New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: About popcorn

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default About popcorn

It came to my attention that the common meme of "munching popcorn" is considered trolling in these forums. Am I allowed to create a thread in Random Banter so that other people might also know that?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: About popcorn

Sheriff: That is not at all what I said. Posters using that or any other meme should be particularly careful not to do so in a manner that flames or trolls. It is particularly easy to do with memes because people often mean them humorously or use them unreflectively. That doesn't really matter under the Forum Rules. If a post is flaming, trolling, and in particular with the popcorn meme, "threadcrapping," that may well be a Forum Rules violation.

Since the addition of "threadcrapping" to the Forum Rules, it's far more likely this and similar memes may be a problem. If you're just there to poke fun at the thread and its participants, maybe don't do that. Be careful not to denigrate the thread or mock its participants, regardless of what language or meme you employ.

But there's no subject matter ban on popcorn or prohibition on that specific meme. Posters should just be careful how they use it, and as always, err on the side of caution.

Bananas, on the other hand, are verboten.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2014-10-11 at 04:33 PM. Reason: it's "its" not "it's" - derp
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex