New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Lesser Geas: Await further instructions?

One of my PCs is currently under the influence of a sepia snake sigil(she was tricked into reading it). The one who tricked her intends to put her to further use. He wants to use a Lesser Geas on her, but at the moment is only telling her to "await further instructions"... in this set up, once the mage releases her, he can issue her an order to "Kill one of your friends"...
    Would this work?

According to the RAW, this is not strictly forbidden.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-11 at 01:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Lesser Geas: Await further instructions?

A lesser geas places a magical command on a creature to carry out some service or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired by you. The creature must have 7 or fewer HD and be able to understand you. While a geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.

The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.
    So yes, provided the caster either discharges the first Geas or waits 1 day per caster level, and issues the command by casting it a second time, this should work.
    Last edited by The Grue; 2014-10-11 at 01:09 PM.
    Thermonuclear Banana Split - A not-really-weekly Eclipse Phase blog/campaign journal

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you could geas them to await further instructions. However, with that phrasing, they are only compelled to wait for you to give them instructions- they're not necessarily compelled to follow those instructions once you give them, because that's not what the geas compels them to do. So yes, you could do it, but it wouldn't do what you want.

A better way to handle it would be to say "kill the people I indicate when I indicate them," which would do pretty much the same thing but compel them to actually kill people rather than just listen to the order to kill people.

(Also note that even if he commands her to kill her allies, once she is released she can just stab him in the face, walk over to her allies, tell them what's going on while trying to kill them, and then they can do their best to take care of the problem. Geas is not dominate.)
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2014-10-11 at 01:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingPirate

So it may be more efficient to release her and then cast it, but of course in this case he will need the time to cast it. Fortunately, he could buy time using Shadow Step.

Given her present helpless state, might it be more effective for him to tell her to "kill my enemies"? This could be interpretted as "anyone who held ill will against me" or more obviously as "anyone who tries to kill me", correct?

Edit: Amber, Thank you! :D

I think this would be a great source of interplayer conflict, because the affected player is still in control of their own actions, fully aware of what is going on... perhaps just has that nagging urge to kill someone specific(maybe even someone they like), they never had before.

What the wizard could do is move her to a cage, release the spell, charm her with flowery promises of power and wealth, then place the geas on her.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2014-10-11 at 01:31 PM.