New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Popcorn Ruling Part 2

I saw the recent thread about popcorn and have a related question. What if one were to post a picture of munching popcorn to subscribe to a thread? Does it make a difference if they make a relevant comment at the same time?

(I imagine this happening on threads where the OP has a question, and other people with the same question don't want to lose the thread. I ask because I've seen the practice on other fora.)
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Popcorn Ruling Part 2

If you want to subscribe to a thread but don't have anything relevant to say, just use the "thread tools - subscribe to this thread" dropdown menu on the upper right of the thread pane.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Popcorn Ruling Part 2

Sheriff: If the poster isn't going to post some actual discussion content, then it'd be better to just subscribe to the thread manually. What you describe is not the normal practice here.

So, in your scenario, the popcorn munching picture is an expression of genuine interest in the topic of a thread? That doesn't seem to violate the Forum Rules. But if that's the only thing a person posts, that's minorly spammy, so probably some form of actual discussion beyond, "I'm interested in this" in words or pictures would be a good idea.

This example does illustrate the principle that it's not like munching popcorn is inherently violative of the Forum Rules (like say, real world religion), but it can be in some contexts. Posters should avoid using it in any inappropriate way.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex