New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Diablo III: Don't Forget To Eat Today

Does anyone have any advice for solo barbarians surviving GR29ish rift guardians? My barbarian recently started getting further in rifts and the ones in 28/29 absolutely wreck me, to the point where I'm relying on Furious Charge damage every 6 seconds, plus WotB/CotA on cooldown to defeat them. I can't tank their hits for very long at all, maybe 3-4 seconds at most for bosses like Blighter, or a little longer for, say, Perdition. I know at higher levels group play is pretty much required, but I feel like this should be doable, I just don't quite know how.

Here is a link to my build if you need it.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2015-01-07 at 03:51 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #152
    Spamalot in the Playground

Afraid melee isn't my strong suit so I can't really help. You could try using a shield build, or war cry instead of battle rage to be a bit less squishy? I know you can't trust sheet toughness, but 7M is on the low end for T6 (or equivalent). (I am however jealous of your Raeko's )

Speaking of, I've put together another single-element build I'd like to share: my Barbarian who is doing very well on T5, my "druid." It is a ranged build focused on physical damage: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Sj!ihSe!baZcbY

What's fun about it is that because nearly everything generates Fury I can do without a primary. It will be even better once I complete IK and Raeko, and then I'll be more comfortable in T6.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Afraid melee isn't my strong suit so I can't really help. You could try using a shield build, or war cry instead of battle rage to be a bit less squishy? I know you can't trust sheet toughness, but 7M is on the low end for T6 (or equivalent). (I am however jealous of your Raeko's )
    It turns out my problems were mostly tactics; I'm mostly doing the same thing ("kiting" with Charge vs. certain bosses and attacking during CotA/WotB) but intelligent use of FC and Ignore Pain (ignorance is bliss) has helped a lot. I'm up to GR 31 now, but I repeatedly get unlucky with Fire Chains packs that kill me a ridiculous number of times.

Speaking of, I've put together another single-element build I'd like to share: my Barbarian who is doing very well on T5, my "druid." It is a ranged build focused on physical damage: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...Sj!ihSe!baZcbY

What's fun about it is that because nearly everything generates Fury I can do without a primary. It will be even better once I complete IK and Raeko, and then I'll be more comfortable in T6.
    Nice; it's almost like a barbarian spellcaster! If only there was some way to get Bombardment onto the Barb, you could totally rock a (mock) Fire druid from Diablo 2. IK 4 piece is definitely a nice boost though, to both damage and survivability; my barb jumped from ~t4 to t6 with it (esp. if you go with Council Rises with a bit of +fire damage). Raekor's is great, but it pretty much needs Vile Ward to really shine (a bit like Leapbarian and the Lut Socks, really).
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2015-01-11 at 04:53 PM.
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #154

Thanks And yes, I've been a fan of magebarians ever since my Singer from D2 I took on UberD with.

Vile Ward is tempting but I won't need it (I'll very likely want the shoulder slot for Raekor's Burden so I can more easily cram both sets into one build - see below.) Rather, I use Furious Charge as a way to refill all my Fury, not really for damage. Stamina is a mandatory rune for this build, without it I would likely be relying on Weapon Throw to refill much, much less efficiently instead.

This build is definitely T6 viable - I am all but immortal on T5 as it is - but my gems are terrible and I want a few set bonuses so I can squeeze more damage out before I take the plunge. If I can, I'd like to avoid the IK hammer - most Barbarians I group with are using two-handers and War Cry for extra defense. It's always nice being the one guy who brings Battle Rage to the table and buffs the damage of everyone else in the room.

With RRoG I need 3 IK pieces and 4 Raekor pieces to get the full bonuses. To minimize overlap between the two, I'd target those pieces that are only in a given slot on one set and not the other. For IK, that means the belt is mandatory for my endgame, and for Raekor I'll want the shoulders and pants. The rest will be driven by whichever I find first. I already have IK boots and Raekor gloves, so it's only a matter of time. (And I'm having plenty of fun being the only one not to die to various affixes in the meanwhile.)

I'll decide later whether I want to use IK hammer or stick with my sword and board setup. If I use the hammer I may be able to get 2 Aughild pieces in there as well.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-11 at 05:20 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks And yes, I've been a fan of magebarians ever since my Singer from D2 I took on UberD with.

Vile Ward is tempting but I won't need it (I'll very likely want the shoulder slot for Raekor's Burden so I can more easily cram both sets into one build - see below.) Rather, I use Furious Charge as a way to refill all my Fury, not really for damage. Stamina is a mandatory rune for this build, without it I would likely be relying on Weapon Throw to refill much, much less efficiently instead.

This build is definitely T6 viable - I am all but immortal on T5 as it is - but my gems are terrible and I want a few set bonuses so I can squeeze more damage out before I take the plunge. If I can, I'd like to avoid the IK hammer - most Barbarians I group with are using two-handers and War Cry for extra defense. It's always nice being the one guy who brings Battle Rage to the table and buffs the damage of everyone else in the room.

With RRoG I need 3 IK pieces and 4 Raekor pieces to get the full bonuses. To minimize overlap between the two, I'd target those pieces that are only in a given slot on one set and not the other. For IK, that means the belt is mandatory for my endgame, and for Raekor I'll want the shoulders and pants. The rest will be driven by whichever I find first. I already have IK boots and Raekor gloves, so it's only a matter of time. (And I'm having plenty of fun being the only one not to die to various affixes in the meanwhile.)

I'll decide later whether I want to use IK hammer or stick with my sword and board setup. If I use the hammer I may be able to get 2 Aughild pieces in there as well.
    I used my FC/permanent CotA build before getting Vile Ward (before having 4 piece Raekor's, actually - I just used Merciless rune to do group damage), so it's definitely doable.

Nifty-neato thing from the PTR: The 5piece of Raekor's is being changed to 4 piece, and its 2 piece and a new 6 piece are being designed; currently they're not as amazing as the 4 piece, but they are nice (3000%wpndmg DoT on each enemy hit, can't crit, but takes crit damage and crit chance into calculating the damage of the DoT; and the first enemy hit by charge takes +100% damage).

Also in the PTR, Dreadnought's being redesigned; in its current iteration it gives FC 2 charges, instead of dragging things with you. A lot of its utility is being changed, in that it's getting to be a better attack against single targets, but its ability to perma-control groups is getting nerfed a bit, since it can no longer really bunch enemies up.
    Morning Star

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post

Nifty-neato thing from the PTR: The 5piece of Raekor's is being changed to 4 piece, and its 2 piece and a new 6 piece are being designed; currently they're not as amazing as the 4 piece, but they are nice (3000%wpndmg DoT on each enemy hit, can't crit, but takes crit damage and crit chance into calculating the damage of the DoT; and the first enemy hit by charge takes +100% damage).

Also in the PTR, Dreadnought's being redesigned; in its current iteration it gives FC 2 charges, instead of dragging things with you. A lot of its utility is being changed, in that it's getting to be a better attack against single targets, but its ability to perma-control groups is getting nerfed a bit, since it can no longer really bunch enemies up.
    I saw this and I don't mind at all. Again, really the only thing I use it for is to refill my fury. The massive damage buff on Raekor's is just going to be icing for me and will definitely make me feel better about not going after Might of the Earth.

Also since my previous posting I now have 3 Raekor's pieces Thank you Kadala, you frigid money-grubbing cow.

Random act of kindness I wanted to share - a DH I was playing with randomly asked if anyone wanted a Marauder chest. The other DH didn't need it, so I piped up for my alt, and sure enough he plopped it on the ground for me no questions asked. Then later in the run he apparently got Marauder's shoulders too and sent those my way as well. So that's two fewer pieces I have to farm when I finally get around to playing my DH again (post-patch most likely.) In the previous run, someone dropped an extra bottomless potion they had found as well. There are definite advantages to playing with higher-Paragon folks
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I saw this and I don't mind at all. Again, really the only thing I use it for is to refill my fury. The massive damage buff on Raekor's is just going to be icing for me and will definitely make me feel better about not going after Might of the Earth.

Also since my previous posting I now have 3 Raekor's pieces Thank you Kadala, you frigid money-grubbing cow.

Random act of kindness I wanted to share - a DH I was playing with randomly asked if anyone wanted a Marauder chest. The other DH didn't need it, so I piped up for my alt, and sure enough he plopped it on the ground for me no questions asked. Then later in the run he apparently got Marauder's shoulders too and sent those my way as well. So that's two fewer pieces I have to farm when I finally get around to playing my DH again (post-patch most likely.) In the previous run, someone dropped an extra bottomless potion they had found as well. There are definite advantages to playing with higher-Paragon folks
    Unfortunately, the DH changes don't seem as nice as the barbarian ones in the PTR; currently, the Companion bonus is shifted to 2, and the 4 piece is a mangled heap of the old 6 piece (Sentries fire your hatred spenders when you do ), though the 6 piece seems nice; IIRC it increases the damage of certain spenders (including cluster arrow) by like...30%? for each Sentry you have out. I don't know if it affects the damage dealt by spenders used by sentries, though...

Nevermind, after looking over them again, the changes seem pretty good. 6 piece is actually 100% for generators, Chakram, Cluster Arrow, Elemental Arrow, Impale, and Multishot, not 30%, and if Rucksack remains the same, that's a huge boost to damage.

Bluh bluh, I've spent just over 2000 shards trying to get the Raekor gloves, so I can start gambling for Leoric's Crown. I've seen at least 4 MotE gloves, IK gloves twice, along with every Stone Gauntlets, Andrew Gages and Magefist under the sun.

@Generous DH: It's always great to find decent people in pubby games; I think Diablo 2's hardcore community kind of put me off of them, though, even though PvP in this game is entirely separate. D2HC's code was basically "Past level 10, get in your own game or prepare to die to a griefer".
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2015-01-12 at 03:17 AM.
    Morning Star

8. - Top - End - #158

Huh, I have a couple of Leorics and I never noticed that property before... I got them from A1 bounties if that helps you find them. I've never gotten one from a rift or Kadala, at least to date.

Eugh, I couldn't imagine playing HC back in D2 and that goes quintuple for D3. At least in D2, your friends could send you over some of their spare sets as replacement gear to get you back on your feet in case the unthinkable happened, or worst case scenario you kick a few bucks over to the Far East and have those guys bring you an entire set of shiny new toys. To put that kind of investment into D3 only to have it all evaporate... ick.

Sentries not firing the spenders automatically anymore is a bummer but I can also see how it might have been broken too. Manual fire should still be useful.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

Huh, I have a couple of Leorics and I never noticed that property before... I got them from A1 bounties if that helps you find them. I've never gotten one from a rift or Kadala, at least to date.

Eugh, I couldn't imagine playing HC back in D2 and that goes quintuple for D3. At least in D2, your friends could send you over some of their spare sets as replacement gear to get you back on your feet in case the unthinkable happened, or worst case scenario you kick a few bucks over to the Far East and have those guys bring you an entire set of shiny new toys. To put that kind of investment into D3 only to have it all evaporate... ick.

Sentries not firing the spenders automatically anymore is a bummer but I can also see how it might have been broken too. Manual fire should still be useful.
    Yeah, I just recently heard about the Crown's legendary power; for a while i thought it was just another ascended-rare piece of junk.

==========

Back in D2 it was actually possible to make it through all 3 difficulties with just the gear you found from grinding levels, though the difficulty obvs. depended on your class and build; I've had three assassins now hit Hell mode, though only one made it through (thanks to a lucky Tgod's Vigor drop, mostly; she got ambushed by black souls ALL. THE. TIME.)

==========

The biggest broken part about the sentries thing is that attack speed lowered the cooldown on their hatred spenders, so they could quickly pump out some big numbers (getting like, 60% attack speed lowered the CD on their Cluster Arrow to like 2.2 seconds. Owch). However, with the way sentries themselves are changing (becoming a charge skill, recharges every 8 seconds but with no CD otherwise) I think it's mostly a balance concern - being able to throw down 3 sentries in 3 seconds is a lot more potent than 3 in 24 (or less depending on your CDR).
    Morning Star

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Is there somewhere we can look at the patch notes? :X

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Is there somewhere we can look at the patch notes? :X
    Here you go

(Note these are subject to change until the patch is actually released, and some changes may show up that aren't on this list.)

Back in D2 it was actually possible to make it through all 3 difficulties with just the gear you found from grinding levels, though the difficulty obvs. depended on your class and build; I've had three assassins now hit Hell mode, though only one made it through (thanks to a lucky Tgod's Vigor drop, mostly; she got ambushed by black souls ALL. THE. TIME.)
    Assassin at least had Fade to help with Hell, though of course you needed fire traps or a kicksin to do much of anything to black souls.

The biggest broken part about the sentries thing is that attack speed lowered the cooldown on their hatred spenders, so they could quickly pump out some big numbers (getting like, 60% attack speed lowered the CD on their Cluster Arrow to like 2.2 seconds. Owch). However, with the way sentries themselves are changing (becoming a charge skill, recharges every 8 seconds but with no CD otherwise) I think it's mostly a balance concern - being able to throw down 3 sentries in 3 seconds is a lot more potent than 3 in 24 (or less depending on your CDR).
    Indeed I'm really looking forward the option to chain-drop sentries. And that should even out this nerf quite nicely since you can have a whole volley ready.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-12 at 10:13 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Bluh. Didn't they just change a bunch of stuff about the DH to be more poison?

Also, I kind of want to go back to playing my barbarian again...

13. - Top - End - #163

I can only guess that meeting went: "GUYS. ENOUGH WITH THE POISON. TOO MUCH POISON."

Try my Earthmage build!
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, that's not a major nerf to Firebirds, I think I'll stick with my build. Particularly since I found a legendary 1h mace pattern that gave me a +20% to fire damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

[Note, I play on the PS3 RoS version of the game, mostly on T3 at this time]

Out of curiosity, are there any particular items for which I should go looking for my level 70 witch doctor who is primarily a poison build? All his skills are poison based with a little pet thrown in - zombie dogs and gargantuan both with the runes that make them poison oriented are the only pets he runs with.

I definitely scoop any items that have +poison damage, but any other specific suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Frolic and dance for joy often.
    Be determined in your ventures.
    -KAB

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Eh, that's not a major nerf to Firebirds, I think I'll stick with my build. Particularly since I found a legendary 1h mace pattern that gave me a +20% to fire damage.
    Yeah, Devastator is nice. I'm trying to get a Doombringer to drop, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrin View Post
    [Note, I play on the PS3 RoS version of the game, mostly on T3 at this time]

Out of curiosity, are there any particular items for which I should go looking for my level 70 witch doctor who is primarily a poison build? All his skills are poison based with a little pet thrown in - zombie dogs and gargantuan both with the runes that make them poison oriented are the only pets he runs with.

I definitely scoop any items that have +poison damage, but any other specific suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!
    There are three passives that give you extra dogs, I'd consider getting all of them. From there you have a choice - go with the 4th passive that gives you fetishes every time you cast a spell, plus the poison rune Fetish Army and a Carnevil so that they all shoot poison darts when you do.

Then the passive that makes you create fetishes would be my 4th, and Fetish Army with the poison rune, and a Carnevil so that they all shoot poison darts when you do to take down big crowds from safety. Alternatively, go with Mask of Jeram so your pets hit like trucks.

EDIT: Here is a MoJ build I would go with. You stand behind your pets, piranha on cooldown and beeeaaars. Refill with toads as necessary. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...UT!dgRW!ccabcY
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-12 at 11:31 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Try my Earthmage build!
    Nah, I was playing Garen up in this rift.

On that note, I now remember why I stopped playing diablo. Lag is the most OP skill, I swear.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually they've been removing Poison from the DH since 2.0. I had forgotten the DH still had some poison skills left.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

right. I just remember that there were a lot of skills changed.

Is it bad that I think that poison on DH makes more sense than lightning?

20. - Top - End - #170

Nah, I was playing Garen up in this rift.
    Playing who/what now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Ferret View Post
    Actually they've been removing Poison from the DH since 2.0. I had forgotten the DH still had some poison skills left.
    Weird, you'd think the assassination class might want to use poison...

And Monks don't use any so all that +Dex +Poison gear was only going one place.

Story question: So most of the stuff in Ithereal's Prophecy appears to have happened, except (I think) for these two lines:

Spoiler
    Show
    1) "Valor shall turn to Wrath" - which hints that Imperius will change hats like Malthael did (going from Wisdom to Death) and become a boss one day.

2) "Fate lies shattered forever" - sounds like Ithereal himself will snuff it, likely so that we can't predict anything about the future anymore. Will Imperius kill him, or something else?

Am I correct in thinking those haven't happened yet? If so, do you guys think we're getting another expansion, or will this stuff wait for D4?

Also three other potential issues:

Spoiler
    Show

- Tyrael believes the nephalem will become corrupt one day, and need other heroes to put them down - I wonder if we'll end up fighting thes 6 at some point, similar to the D2 heroes battling members of the original triad. I don't see us going back to not being nephalem in the next Diablo (whenever that may come to pass) but maybe we will start human and become nephalem as the game progresses...?

- Horadrim are disappearing in the Skovos isles - an island/beach setting is one terrain type we haven't seen in the game and would be a likely choice for some cool exploration.

- Covetous Shen and the other "gods" of the world. What are they? Is he a nephalem too? As Sera from Dragon Age would say, "you can't have a bunch of gods AND the Maker. It doesn't bloody fit." Similarly I don't see how a bunch of Sanctuary's other faiths can be right AND have all the angels come out of this crystal arch thing without any of their input (or help in defending heaven.)

Is it bad that I think that poison on DH makes more sense than lightning?
    Not at all! I think poison makes more sense for them too.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2015-01-12 at 02:02 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #171
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Re the prophecy:

Spoiler
    Show
    I would take the section of the prophecy talking about fate being shattered to be a reference to the worldstone and the fact that the Nephalem do not appear in the scroll of fate. Since the worldstone was the only thing preventing humanity from turning into nephalem (and its now shattered) then the scroll of fate is not going to be very accurate anymore. If all of humanity are no longer bound by fate, then that would certainly complete the prophecy.

The part about Valor becoming wrath certainly implies that Imperius is going to go off the deep end due to his anger with humanity at large and possibly turn himself into a corrupted angel of some kind.
    I try always to be friendly, polite and helpful. If something I have said offends, please assume I am joking and/or misunderstood.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Assassin at least had Fade to help with Hell, though of course you needed fire traps or a kicksin to do much of anything to black souls.
    The easiest way to take care of em was to spam Mind Blast while your merc picked em apart until one died, so that your Death Sentries could wreck them with Corpse Explosions. It really helped that Death Sentry by itself packed 3 different attack types, so even against Lightning Immunes, you could rely on the Fire/Physical explosion.

Barbarian ftw . The charge build is so fun, because everything explodes, and sometimes it chains just right so it looks like you're a train lugging cargo around or something.
    Morning Star

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think it's much, MUCH better, as it encourages you to care about firing your primary weapon, as opposed to just dropping Sentries and playing keep-away. I also like the charges change, which keeps the same 24 second timeframe top drop 5 sentries, but lets you front-load 2 of them if you're charged up.

Plus, I have a kridershot build which should be totally nuts with M6. Fun times.

24. - Top - End - #174

Patch is live! Gonna check out my DH with the sentries.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

I need to get a Seasons character to 70. Anyone care to assist?

26. - Top - End - #176

LOVING the Furious Charge change! My rage problems are a thing of the past.

I need to get a Seasons character to 70. Anyone care to assist?
    You do? Honestly Seasons are kinda pointless imo...
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

I just want the transmog, tbh.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Fastest way is for you to start a game on T6 then have a fully leveled person come in and destroy the packs. You will super level that way. Unfortunately its quite boring and I don't particularly enjoy doing it. Sorry...

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Just tried out my barbarian post-patch... I like these changes.

First rift after the trial was GR34 (!!) and I spawned the guardian with about 8 minutes left. I do nothing but charge for daaaaaaaays now. Seems they massively bumped up the reward, too - just got 3.6 million gold for beating it .
    Morning Star

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Played for a few hours last night and I got enough gold to glue all of my diamonds together with a substantial amount left over to start working on my rubies. Plus Ancient items are amazing! Just one Ancient weapon between my buddy and me when we were grifting was enough to take us up two grift ranks.