New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Armor Spikes and Enhancement

PHB states that armor spikes "can be made into magic weapons in their own right".

What isn't made clear is this: does a single enhancement apply to all the armor spikes equally or must the enhancement be done separately for each limb?

I'm kicking around the idea for a thri-kreen, so the cheese potential is pretty high. Thoughts?
    "In reality perfection isn't really what we want, so we just throw words at the page and we call it a masterpiece if any part of it fits." -Schmidt

Monstrous law. Human slaves. Feuding dragons. And the evil elven empire. Freeholders, coming soonTM.

Hey look, a thing!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Armor Spikes and Enhancement

Enchantments on armor spikes affect all spikes equally. For multi-limbed enchantment cheese, you'll want gauntlets or spiked gauntlets.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

A piece of armor can't have multiple armor spikes, though there there are some things like armor spikes you can stack up with them. Armor Spikes are a mod made to armor, not a unique object, so the "armor spikes" are all one thing, despite being made of several objects (as implied by the plural name). Kinda like how a pair of pants is one object.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    A piece of armor can't have multiple armor spikes, though there there are some things like armor spikes you can stack up with them. Armor Spikes are a mod made to armor, not a unique object, so the "armor spikes" are all one thing, despite being made of several objects (as implied by the plural name). Kinda like how a pair of pants is one object.
    Perhaps a better example is a pair of boots of elvenkind is a single item instead of two.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Enchantments on armor spikes affect all spikes equally. For multi-limbed enchantment cheese, you'll want gauntlets or spiked gauntlets.
    The thought had crossed my mind, but ultimately decided that Rule of Cool dictated thri-kreen in spiked mithral breastplate was the way to go.

This was my first thought, and then I was like: "that can't be right". Since it seems to be the consensus I'll go with it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!
    "In reality perfection isn't really what we want, so we just throw words at the page and we call it a masterpiece if any part of it fits." -Schmidt

Monstrous law. Human slaves. Feuding dragons. And the evil elven empire. Freeholders, coming soonTM.

Hey look, a thing!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh? What stacks with armor spikes? I thought the slashing equivalents all stated they were alternatives to armor spikes, disallowing them to be combined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Oh? What stacks with armor spikes? I thought the slashing equivalents all stated they were alternatives to armor spikes, disallowing them to be combined.
    Armor razors do, at least. They say absolutely nothing about armor spikes at all, and are merely armor modification, which I don't know of any rules that limit you to one.