New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Question about the Grease spell

Ok so I have a player in my group that likes to use grease. No problem. The issue is with the wording as we don't think it's very well worded. It says that a creature that doesn't move while in the grease is not considered flat footed. So his argument is that the inverse must then be the case and if they move they are flat footed.

Now I (as the dm) have been ruling that if they make the acrobatics check when they try to move they are not flat footed but if they fail they slip and fall prone. I think this is a fair compromise and also how I would interpret things.

His thought is that the acrobatics skill says if you are moving through slick surfaces you are flat footed. But the spell doesn't specify.

Thoughts?

Also I've read a few places where in pathfinder if you have 3 ranks in acrobatics you are not considered flat footed while balancing can anyone point out where that is in the books or is that just a common homerule?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Question about the Grease spell

Definitely a corner of the rules that is a bit ambiguous. Per RAW, I believe the answer is not flat footed. The reference to flat footed seems to refer to the text of the acrobatics skill, which states that you are flat footed when using acrobatics to cross uneven terrain or a narrow ledge. Since acrobatics calls out specific cases, the unmentioned specific case ( slick) doesn't apply.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Question about the Grease spell

Per legal statute interpretation and logic rules; A causing B does not imply that either lack of A means lack of B, or lack of B means lack of A.

This is most likely a way that the initial authors clarified the "real world" argument that people standing in grease cannot move well and could be considered flat-footed.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan