Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default NaNoWriMo in the playground 2014

Having waited until the powers that be were done with getting websites ready, and checked that we didn't already have a forum thread for this produced by someone more intrepid and dashing than myself (possibly Elan), without further ado, here's the thread for this year's National Novel Writing Month.

I'm planning on taking part again this year, going with fantasy rather than science fiction this time around the block, having relied on SF for most of my previous five outings.

This thread is intended as a central hub, where we can share encouragement, moments of triumph and despair alike, and brave new methods of procrastination (because we'll all end up procrastinating somewhere along the line).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: NaNoWriMo in the playground 2014

I'll be making my third attempt. My first two were unsuccessful - the first made it to around 40k, the second petered out early on. Third time's the charm, right?

Trouble is, I've got too many ideas and I don't know yet which one I'll be going with. Many writers get asked where they get their ideas; I, for one, wouldn't know how I would answer that. They just keep coming and coming and coming.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2014-10-14 at 06:27 PM.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not planning to join officially since I don't want to write anything else than two of my currently running stories.

One of them just needs to finish then get polished until it shines.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm thinking about having a try at National Novel Writing Month for the first time.

Two ideas I have for that first novel: A magic forest, and dragons.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Gah, looks like another year I won't be able to do it. I have a week-long thing I'll be out of state for, and I really don't feel like writing a novel in a pocket-sized notebook on the road. Maybe I'll just try to finish one of my other projects instead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

@ AdmiralCheez: If you really wish you could participate, just do it anyway and readjust your goal accordingly (say, 35,000 words). It's not like there's a prize for hitting 50,000. The goal is to create something and have fun doing it.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

That is a good point. I can always use that random week for brainstorming ideas in my off time and then write it when I get back. A smaller word count goal, but a slightly higher quality end product should suffice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Oh it's already the middle of October.

I am woefully underprepared for it this year. Like always.

Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher
    So the moral of this story is that you should never listen to me ever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to, but school has decided to kick my butt hard this year, so I will sadly not be participating this year.
    We don't know how many the Collectors have stolen. Thousands, hundreds of thousands. It's not important. What matters is this: Not. One. More. That's what we can do here, today. It ends with us. They want to know what we're made of? I say we show them, on our terms. Let's bring our people home.

Mass Effect: Scars.

Returning 2015.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll be participating for essentially the first time; I've tried to get started before, but never even gotten off the ground. This time I'm going to make it work! I'm working on some groundwork now, so that I'll be ready when the time comes.
    Spoiler: 5E homebrew
    Show

DIY Dungeon Mastery Challenge: a 5E forum homebrewing contest #1 Make a Monster!

Current Game: Shattered Skies, A D&D 5E Steampunk Adventure IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm too intrigued not to try. I'll be aiming for the full 50k, but as it's my first try I'll probably not end up even near that. Kind of unsure if I should write in English or Finnish... OR BOTH.
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!

PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish you all the best. Pumping out 1600+ words a day for a month sounds hard.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    I wish you all the best. Pumping out 1600+ words a day for a month sounds hard.
    Speaking from experience, it really can be hard- but it's also very rewarding when you manage it...

And FinnLassie, whichever language you choose to write in, here's hoping you cross the Finnish line
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

I'm going to give it yet another shot this year, but I expect my job to go "Free time? whatchoo talkin' 'bout?" like it always does.

I've tried four or five times now, I at least know I can reasonably maintain the pace without interruptions, but I have difficulty covering lost ground when I fall behind.

Anyway, Best of luck to everyone else!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Having only found out about this about a week ago, I plan on trying it out. I don't have much hope in actually doing 40,000 words but hey, any writing is better than no writing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garazza
    You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey there, fellow Nanoists

Welcome to everyone who want to try for the first time! 1.667 words a day does sound frightening, but experience shows that it's just the right amount. It's high enough to be a challenge, but it's very doable and even when you miss a couple days, you still have a chance of catching up. The hard thing IMO is to keep the flow going.

I've been with Nano four years now, won two, crashed and burned last time. That's when I found out I'm not a pantser From experience, I have to say that while winning in itself is rewarding, even if you don't, it's still tremendous fun because you do it together with so many creative people all around the globe.

I'm working on my outline right now, and it's the first time I'm trying out a story with multiple protagonists and story lines, so hopefully, when I get stuck on one, I can just continue with another.

Weirdly, it actually helps if you're busy at your job or with school. Chris Baty, the founder of Nano, once took the whole month off for Nano and found that having all that time really doesn't help productivity at all.

Now to see how I can embed that nifty word count thingy in my signature...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

What exactly is NaNoWrMo? I took a look at the website, but I'm still a bit lost.

I've gathered that you write a novel and try to reach a set wordcount on a website, but what else is there? Is this a charity thing or likely to help getting a book published? What do you need to do to participate?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Durkoala Miner were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It amuses me that Yukito prioritizing saving a little girl over finishing a snack is all that it takes for you to like him more.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durkoala View Post
    What exactly is NaNoWrMo? I took a look at the website, but I'm still a bit lost.

I've gathered that you write a novel and try to reach a set wordcount on a website, but what else is there? Is this a charity thing or likely to help getting a book published? What do you need to do to participate?
    This link and this link may have some more answers, though I will endeavour to address your questions myself.

NaNoWriMo- or national novel writing month- began as a result of founder Chris Baty (and a few others) deciding that rather than trying to be writers 'one day' in the distant future, they would challenge themselves to write a novel of 50k words within the space of a month- which has been the challenge ever since.

While the possibility exists to give a donation towards the charity that has now been set up to administer NaNoWriMo, the office of letters and light (OLL for short), the challenge remains a creative challenge at heart- the competition, such as it is, being against yourself rather than anyone else.

To address the inevitable question of quality over quantity, the rationale is that obsessing over quality during the initial stages of writing is actually counterproductive, leading to the creation of a first draft taking anything up to several years to complete- only to then have to turn around and edit your painstakingly achieved first draft beyond all recognition because as John Green argues in this video it is almost impossible to write a good novel in its first draft- to quote "books are made in revision".

As for the matter of NaNoWriMo leading to success as a writer, while still a small proportion of the overall number of participants, between self-publishing, print on demand and even more traditional publishing houses, anything up to a couple of hundred writers have managed to take books first begun during NaNoWriMo and publish them- with one example of this being "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, which spent a creditable period in the bestseller charts.

I hope all of this addresses your questions- but if not, please feel free to ask more and I will answer them as best I am able (or just find successful authors who can argue my case for me).
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2014-10-19 at 03:20 PM.
    Part of YugiohITP

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

It's a Sparkplug/motivational device.

The idea is more or less everyone has a novel idea, and they're usually so intimidated by the thought of actually writing a book they don't even attempt it. So NaNo is a bit of encouragement to just sit down and blitz through it, by setting a 30 day time limit and an achievable target word count. Sure, if you make it you'll run into all sorts of problems like needing to edit it, the fact that it probably isn't THAT good, etc... but in theory you've actually written it and see that it wasn't so scary after all. And even if you don't finish in time, you can still finish afterwards.

The NaNo group runs workshops afterwards on how to edit and pitch your novel. I don't know what those are like, but from what I've gathered they're basically social networking meetings where you get to know other authors and what the actual options are for getting published. (Or, more accurately, what the options are for even getting the time of day from a publisher/what to expect if you self publish via e-book.)

The only thing you really get at the end is what you wrote, but that is a cool reward.

Personally, I've never made it past 24,000 words, but I've learned tons from every failed attempt. This year I think whatever I decide to write might stand a decent chance if my job and campaign setting project don't eat too much time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    To address the inevitable question of quality over quantity, the rationale is that obsessing over quality during the initial stages of writing is actually counterproductive, leading to the creation of a first draft taking anything up to several years to complete- only to then have to turn around and edit your painstakingly achieved first draft beyond all recognition because as John Green argues in this video it is almost impossible to write a good novel in its first draft- to quote "books are made in revision".
    This. So much.

If you've ever toyed with the idea to write a book, Nano is the best way to finally get started. Ideas tend to grow. You have an idea that you think is good enough to turn into a book someday, but you hone it and treasure it and keep it forever in your heart until it's far too big to ever make it onto that terrifying white page. Nano makes you write, no matter what. Because it sets a deadline and gives you hundreds of thousands of other people taking the same road.

Yes, your resulting text probably won't be good. But it will be a point to start and maybe grow into something someone might probably want to read someday. It's better than keeping that idea in your head forever. And even if you don't make your set goal, it teaches you about how to keep up a story, and how to (hopefully) get into the habit of writing more often. Even if it's just once a year (which, for me at least, is a whole lot more than it was before...)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you for the advice and links. The only remaining problem is that I prefer to write on paper rather than typing up things, but that's my problem.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Durkoala Miner were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!
    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    It amuses me that Yukito prioritizing saving a little girl over finishing a snack is all that it takes for you to like him more.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Assuming that I can finish the outline for my current project by then, I'll participate again this year -- doing NaNoWriMo gives me a good motivation to actually get down to business and make sure that I write every day, or nearly every day. Since tech week is going to be falling towards the beginning of it, that'll present a challenge, but I'll just need to factor that into my speed calculations.

Hopefully proclaiming that I am going to do it will also give me some motivation to finish the outlining work in the next week or two.

I've succeeded in writing more than 50,000 words both the years I've participated so far, but this time I'll be trying to concentrate a bit more (although not too much, hopefully) on quality over quantity. I almost hit 75,000 last year, so it is my hope that I'll still be able to hit 50,000 while taking the speed down a notch.
    Ilya alcar i huorinquan
    Castle Anarchy | Portfolio | my DeviantArt

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you for the advice and links. The only remaining problem is that I prefer to write on paper rather than typing up things, but that's my problem.
    For what it's worth, there are methods for validating hand-written novels- though they do add a little extra complexity to the project, it's entirely up to you though- I'm just trying to lay out the options clearly here.
    Part of YugiohITP

24. - Top - End - #24

Sounds like something I would do if I could write more than a few thousand words before taking a one to 12 month break, and only occasionally coming back to it. I should start a thread of Duck's unfinished works, if I ever get around to it.I may try and even get to the 5k mark, but I don't think I could get much more than that. Maybe if I got a 5 month headstart...

Anyway! Maybe I'll try, maybe I won't. I have a lot of ideas floating around that thing they call a brain. I never run out of ideas, partially because I have and come up with so many, partially because I never use most of them, and partially because the ones I use are never finished.

Edit: Does it do the word count for you? If so, how does it count hyphenations and other punctuation? I have seen things that count hitting enter/return as a word.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-10-19 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Geammarizing!
    Haruki halloween costume by Rain Dragon. | Other avatars.
    WW and Other Structured Game Stuffs
    Quotes!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

This will be my third time trying it. My first succeeded, but my second flamed out miserably when that turned out to be a bad month at work. Currently I'm tossing back and forth between two ideas - a science fiction "closed circle" story and a revision of a story I lost years ago to a disk failure, I called the concept Multipath.

Multipath essentially involves several alternate timelines interweaving around a single point\character. The variant I'm currently looking for is that a "event" splits off several different timelines, which then begin to 'fight' for dominance. The original involved several pre-existing timelines that find themselves "seeding" each other when a character tries to invent time travel to ensure something happens - but instead discovers travelling to other dimensions without realizing it.

The "closed circle" story is the classic case of a group of people that suddenly find themselves isolated together - Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" being an example. Idea I'm running with now is that a "dropship" that gets separated from its "jumpship" during "hyperspace" and the characters find themselves "in trouble" and facing the idea that one of them is responsible for it. It's a bit trite though, and unless I can think of a better plot Multipath is probably what I'm going with.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Pain is nature's way of saying you're not dead and the other guy is.
    • Current Project: Ramping up for NaNoWrMo 2014.

26. - Top - End - #26

So I've chosen an idea. An idea that I've actually had for a while, and almost made a webcomic for, but my art skills suck and I could never draw a webcomic.
    Speaking of which, could anyone here draw me something for a cover photo, also just to see what it looks like because I think it would be cool.
    Spoiler: Request, if there are artists here
    Show
    Could I get a bracer with a wolf carved on it. Also, behind it have a falcon in mid flight behind it. If the bracer is not possible, a falcon with wings outstretched with a wolf behind it is acceptable.

Edit: Inspiration for my story needed: I need 6 animals. There will be 10 rings that turn into animals. I already have falcon, snake, mouse, and whale. I need 6 more to have a set of ten. Though I may only need 4, because who uses thumb rings anyway?
    Last edited by Duck999; 2014-10-19 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Typos
    Quotes!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I have decided on a working title for my NaNoWriMo debut - I never left Glasgow. It'll be mostly personal experiences and stories from the city & the surrounding area, so a rather personal topic...
    Saor Alba
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Just use your imagination, it's realistic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    For goodness sake, whatever you do, do not put a ring on it!

PS. Can I please marry Belkar?
    Do not give me any kind of physical affection IRL or online unless otherwise initiated.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Edit: Does it do the word count for you? If so, how does it count hyphenations and other punctuation? I have seen things that count hitting enter/return as a word.
    The site has its own word count validation tool- so you can just select all, then copy and paste into that. Hyphenated words are counted as a single word by their validator, and it does have known issues with quotation marks (particularly in Open Office), but to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't count hitting return as contributing towards word count (they've had about twelve years to work on their word counting technique, and they have a vested interest in making it work well)

As far as your need for animals is concerned, may I suggest the following: Octopus, Hummingbird, Hyena (that'll at least get you through half of your shortfall, while leaving space for other people to be inspired.
    Part of YugiohITP

29. - Top - End - #29

Thanks for the word stuff and the animals.

I might use hummingbird and hyena, though probably not octopus. That would be somewhat strange, and I want to limit it to one aquatic animal unless I am really inspired.
    Quotes!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    Thanks for the word stuff and the animals.

I might use hummingbird and hyena, though probably not octopus. That would be somewhat strange, and I want to limit it to one aquatic animal unless I am really inspired.
    That's okay, I was trying to go with animals that were quite different to the ones you had already picked out, and was bearing in mind that with water covering as much of the planet as it does, aquatic creatures are an awful lot more prevalent than we like to think.
    Part of YugiohITP