New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Random Plots and Places 10: Results may not be between 1 and 10

[Sticks' Other Study]

There is no such thing as devolution, Sticks! You oughta know better!

Zareen slithers as quietly as possible through the corridors. Keeping a "totem silence" with Stick's too. This place made her weary and rightfully so, ghosts were often more dangerous than any other spirit if only by the fact that they sometimes envied the living, or in other causes, hated them since they reminded them who they once were. The fact this place was so neat and clean suggested that perhaps they still believed themselves to be alive and the only thing that disturbed that illusion were actually living beings. And they couldn't have that.

So as she see the gathering she starts looking for a way to go around them, gesturing to the rest of the group to do the same. She wanted to be as far away from these spectres as possible.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post
    Undisclosed Location

Titans and gods? Truly?
    Hades sits up and jumps down from the operating table.
    He'll test his new strength, attempting to lift said table.

What favors would you ask of me? What can I do with only an arm for weapons?
    Marciano chuckles a little bit, backing away from his new servant as he will successfully lift the operating table right off the ground. "Of course. See your newfound strength, feel it in your bones..." His voice trails off as he ponders over the question, thinking of the right way to word his phrasing. He'd have to be extra careful with this one. "I need ya help, Hades." He doesn't pronounce Hades properly at all. "There's some men comin' to my 'ome, with the intent to kill me."

"You're gonna make sure that don't 'appen."

Breakview

Det looks paler than normal. Still, a look of resolve settles across his face.

Terminate. He whispers coldly, reaching out to grab a severed limb or misplaced organ.

This would not be pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    [Breakview Hospital]

Psi looks at Det, then towards the area where the good Doctor is. "Analyzing. Possibility Medical Subject being mentally unstable: 82%. Possibility of hostility: 67%."

She says this in a voice barely more audible than a whisper. "Possible courses of action: Leaving. Hiding. Attacking and terminating target."
    There are several organs strewn about the room, but most aren't very good weapons. No limbs appear to be anywhere, and as far as anyone could tell, the doctor doesn't appear to operate on limbs. However, he'll be able to grip the kidney easily. It's quite gross. A closer look in the room will reveal that there's several long hooks hanging from the ceiling, many bodies hanging from the hooks. Several tarps also hang, so the room looks difficult to traverse through. The doctor is standing in an area slightly raised above the ground, several trays and tables around him, covered in rusty looking tools. The previously mentioned fridge hums slightly, but other than that, even the Doctor is quiet this round, doing nothing but muttering to himself as he searches for a final tool...

He doesn't notice anyone yet.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

Caravan Building

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Caravan puts the magic magnifying glass back down. "Probably the cape. Like I said, not super useful, but it's simply fun to use."

She goes over, takes the cape out of the case, and puts it on. Her eyes immediately turn red, small vampire fans appear, and the shadows around her seem to deepen. "The most obvious effects are an illusion, which can be repressed at will." Caravan goes back to normal. "I usually keep it off, it looks ridiculous. The wearer has increased strength, speed, durability, and endurance, but that's not the fun part." Caravan suddenly breaks apart into a swarm of batlike shadows, which flit around the room and then converge on the other side of Inari, re-forming into caravan. "That is. It's a unique feeling, and oddly easy to control. It can be used to fit through small spaces, and is feasible for crossing a city if not for longer distances. There's a few other uses, mainly involving conjuring those little shadows in combat."
    Inari laughs

What a delightfully quirky item! I can certainly see why that would be your favorite!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sticks' Other Study]

Vax presses her finger to her lips and gestures for the others to follow her. She doesn't know whether these beings are the walking dead or memories of a past time, but she knows that now is not the time to find out. She looks for the darkest parts along the edge of the courtyard. With a thought she can pulls the shadows around them, concealing them from sight. That's the idea at least.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"Quite." Caravan takes the cape off and puts it back in its case. "My other hobby is rearranging economies to be more stable. There's no such thing as a perfect economy, but I like to try to sort them out in worlds where I have enough clout."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caravan Building]

Inari nods

No, there are always trade-offs: that is why I personally try to stay out of such things. I am not truly cognizant enough of economics to trust my impulses.

Then she looks thoughtful

Caravan... what are your consulting rates for economic remediation? I cannot help... I have tried, and it did not turn out well... but if you are familiar with such things.

She looks ... vulnerable, she isn't comfortable, but she has never had someone whom she trusted who might be able to help before

There are literally hundreds of worlds that I am principle caretaker where someone who knew what they were doing economically could help.

She looks very seriously at the gilded pony

It would mean far more to me than a bit of IT equipment.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"It depends on the economy, many of them need to be radically restructured and it needs a LOT of clout. Going to honest, almost dystopian amounts. However, economics has always been easy for me. It's my gift. Literally, my special pony talent." She poses, showing off her cutie mark: an ornate gold treasure chest. "I get people what they want. I got this after a lengthy trading chain scheme in my school to get my good friend one very nice chocolate bar as a gift." Caravan straightens up. "Sorry, cutie marks are a big thing among ponies. Anyway, fixing an economy is basically giving almost everyone what they want. It's only possible because of my gift, and never simple."
    Last edited by Lost_Deep; 2014-11-09 at 09:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caravan Building]

Inari nods, almost absently

I understand... and I do mean places where I am the principal caretaker: there are worlds where I am the only god.

Inari sighs

I try to spread my plants and my children. Usually it is a trivial matter, but there have been not a few occasions where no-one else was particularly interested.

She looks somewhat pleadingly at Caravan.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"And I can only imagine how much trouble the worlds with natural rice are-"

Caravan holds up a hoof to stop Inari before she starts, Caravan knows what she's talking about and what she's claiming, "-trust me, they are out there, I have seen rice in worlds where I have definitive proof that my interference was the first extrarealital contact-"

"-but my economic expertise is going to need a price, and the price is going to vary a lot. Some places honestly won't have a niche for you (or me) and some places are going to be royal pains to work with. It also will vary on how much time I have, I have a good amount of spare time right now, but that might change."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caravan Building]

Inari nods solemnly

At this point, I am quite willing to say: name your price for each place, Gilded Caravan: we will make it work.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"I'll need details. Let me get a print-out, there's no printer in this room."

Caravan will lead to a room with a printer, and print out a lot of papers. "Fill all these out in detail, and I can give an estimate. In order to really be able to do anything, I'll have to examine the economy personally, and we'd have to set up some kind of payment since I really can not afford to do that level of work for free. Start with the biggest issue, I'd recommend."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Pixie in the Playground

Caravan Building

Inari fills out several forms for Caravan, listing worlds and describing their overall structure and the troubles they are having. Seems to be a mix of the usual "command ecomony" problems.

Let us start with these, and see how it goes.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

Caravan looks at the piles of papers. Yes, each entry is a whole pile, front and back. "Looks like a set of the standard mistakes. Should be relatively easy to fix, but... before we start considering potential payments, two things should be said aloud: One, things won't smooth out for many years, and more often than not the time before then is chaos. I always try to minimize bloodshed, but sometimes there's a few people, or a group of people, who are keeping the economy in trouble. Sometimes you can push them to the side, but sometimes you have to put them in the ground. Fixing an economy is a lot like treating cancer: the sickness is crippling in the long-term, but the cure gives you more short-term issues and appears to do a lot of unneeded harm. However, there's no way to do it that isn't messy."

"The second thing is how this connects to my company: it does not. This would be me, as an economic adviser, who just so happens to own a company. This means that I can't be paid in the same way that the company can be, which can make it harder OR easier, depending."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caravan Building]

Inari nods

It is bound to be better than my misguided attempts. I am a botanist, Caravan: not an economist.

She chuckles

I imagine that I might know a piece or two you could add to your collection, given my rather extensive worshipper base. As I told Atorre before: the number of people whom my field operations group cares for numbers slightly more than the number of electrons in the standard material universe.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"Which standard?" Caravan asks a moment before waving to dismiss the answer before it comes. "I understand the sense of scale (as much as a mortal can), because I operate on a similar one myself. However, this does make being paid... awkward. What do you give someone who has everything? On the other hand, I can't be bribed."

Oh, wow, money, a small nation, and a personal army. Right. Because that's more than I have right now.

"I'll look over these in detail, maybe make a visit if we can arrange it, before we start haggling. I don't like haggling much, I'm likely to take what's offered. And if I can't fix it, I return whatever payment, of course," Caravan says. "Anyway, that's it for now. Anything in particular you want to see?"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

[Breakview Hospital]

"Understood," says Psi, without whispering. Det will be able to notice that some sort of energy is emanating from her, and sparks are appearing around her eyes, which are also glowing. She also begins to float a few inches off the ground. "Subject currently labeled 'Unknown Medical Professional' now identified as Target. Initiating battle interface.

Loading. Loading. Complete.

Battle Interface now engaged. Commence termination of target."

The girl dashes in, only far enough for the doctor to be within view and extends her hands in front of her. "Energy Wave Sequence." An energy wave is expelled from her hand towards where the doctor stands.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Marciano chuckles a little bit, backing away from his new servant as he will successfully lift the operating table right off the ground. "Of course. See your newfound strength, feel it in your bones..." His voice trails off as he ponders over the question, thinking of the right way to word his phrasing. He'd have to be extra careful with this one. "I need ya help, Hades." He doesn't pronounce Hades properly at all. "There's some men comin' to my 'ome, with the intent to kill me."

"You're gonna make sure that don't 'appen."
    Undisclosed Location

Hades sets the table down and looks deeply into Marciano's eyes, thinking.
    I will keep you alive.
    Where are my weapons? I will need them to defend you.

He's quite chatty for a brainwashed fellow. Perhaps it's due to the lack of his former foreboding aura.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    There are several organs strewn about the room, but most aren't very good weapons. No limbs appear to be anywhere, and as far as anyone could tell, the doctor doesn't appear to operate on limbs. However, he'll be able to grip the kidney easily. It's quite gross. A closer look in the room will reveal that there's several long hooks hanging from the ceiling, many bodies hanging from the hooks. Several tarps also hang, so the room looks difficult to traverse through. The doctor is standing in an area slightly raised above the ground, several trays and tables around him, covered in rusty looking tools. The previously mentioned fridge hums slightly, but other than that, even the Doctor is quiet this round, doing nothing but muttering to himself as he searches for a final tool...

He doesn't notice anyone yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    [Breakview Hospital]

"Understood," says Psi, without whispering. Det will be able to notice that some sort of energy is emanating from her, and sparks are appearing around her eyes, which are also glowing. She also begins to float a few inches off the ground. "Subject currently labeled 'Unknown Medical Professional' now identified as Target. Initiating battle interface.

Loading. Loading. Complete.

Battle Interface now engaged. Commence termination of target."

The girl dashes in, only far enough for the doctor to be within view and extends her hands in front of her. "Energy Wave Sequence." An energy wave is expelled from her hand towards where the doctor stands.
    Breakview

Det grips the kidney uncomfortably, looking squeamish. Suddenly, Psi goes into battle mode, and the ghost detector decides to hang back and see how this plays out.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

18. - Top - End - #168

[Ssut - Palace Courtyard]

Curiously, the Ssutans give no indications of being dead - in fact, they all look quite healthy. They don't glow, or hover, or pass through one another. No translucence or ghastly moaning to give them away either.

The roofed path around the edges of the courtyard seems relatively clear of spirits - there are a few outliers leaning on pillars or chatting with their backs turned. They pass close to one as Vax shrouds them, and it seems to work. The lot of them continue with their studies or chatter in quiet reverie.

The dreamlike stillness and quiet is broken by the sound of Sticks' voice, emanating from the totem. He is not a particularly loud man, but his voice is still far from the volume one might consider stealthy. "Vax? Zareen? The silence gnaws at me. Have you reached the courtyard I spoke of?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #169
    Pixie in the Playground

Caravan Building

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    "Which standard?" Caravan asks a moment before waving to dismiss the answer before it comes. "I understand the sense of scale (as much as a mortal can), because I operate on a similar one myself. However, this does make being paid... awkward. What do you give someone who has everything? On the other hand, I can't be bribed."

Oh, wow, money, a small nation, and a personal army. Right. Because that's more than I have right now.

"I'll look over these in detail, maybe make a visit if we can arrange it, before we start haggling. I don't like haggling much, I'm likely to take what's offered. And if I can't fix it, I return whatever payment, of course," Caravan says. "Anyway, that's it for now. Anything in particular you want to see?"
    Inari nods

Quite agreeable, thank you.

And no, there is nothing in particular that comes to mind. Thank you for sharing your home with me today, and thank you for minding Stephanie for me, that was very kind of you.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Caravan Building

"No trouble at all, and it seems like I may get a valuable employee out of it. Okay, let's finish up then." Caravan leads through a transporter back out to the lobby. "That's that! Now, some of my department heads want to meet you sometime (one in particular has a long list of questions for you) but that can wait until another day."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

[Caravan Building]

Inari follows Caravan back up. She smiles and nods

Certainly. I look forward to our next meeting. Until then, fare well.

And then she is no longer there.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground

If the spirits didn't react to Sticks voice, they probably wouldn't react to her reply either. Still, she holds her hand close to the totem to somewhat block his and her voice. "We are the courtyard. There are spirits here. Trying to sneak past." Zareen can at least slither stealthily, a slight advantage to feet and shoes that usually made sounds when they walked.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Undisclosed Location

Hades sets the table down and looks deeply into Marciano's eyes, thinking.
    I will keep you alive.
    Where are my weapons? I will need them to defend you.

He's quite chatty for a brainwashed fellow. Perhaps it's due to the lack of his former foreboding aura.

----

Breakview

Det grips the kidney uncomfortably, looking squeamish. Suddenly, Psi goes into battle mode, and the ghost detector decides to hang back and see how this plays out.
    Undisclosed Location:

Marcy stares back at Hades awkwardly for a bit before blinking and snapping a finger away from Marciano's face to attract the attention of the warrior. "Hey, yeah, don't do that. Ya get all bug-eyed when ya stare too long, it's weird." With that matter down with, he scratches his cheek, moving away to lean against a wall. Eye contact with organics was incredibly uncomfortable for the robot, for whatever reason. He'll face him now, adjusting his tie. "Aww, yeah. Weapons! Aheh. I gotcha some nice thematic nonsense there for ya, I know ya like ol' fashioned stuff. Part o' your thing, I can respect that." He knocks against the wall loudly and two attendants walk in. One grips a suit of special banded metal, setting it down with a huff. The other carries a basket of dark steel blades, a large shield held between his arm and chest. He'll also set it down.

"Go ahead, take a look."

"They won't bitecha."

---

Breakview Hospital"

As the silly music hammers away into the eardrums of those listening, there's suddenly a great burst of energy thrown at the Doctor. He turns around as he finally manages to hear the pair, the unperceptive man getting a face full of pain as he's lifted off the ground. Doctor Malpractice begins to take flight, his face that of a confused old man as suddenly he's airborne. He flips over and onto the table, right onto his patient, blood splashing everywhere. Now, his white coat is soiled with fresh blood, instead of dirty dried blood. However, this will give him time enough to stare at his attackers and reach his buzzsaw limb up to cut at one of the many ropes hanging in the air. "MMMM, WE HAVE INTRUDERS, NURSE?! THIS REQUIRES SOME DELICATE FINGERING, IT SEEMS.

I'M TRYING TO SMASH SOME RIBS HERE, WHAT ARE YOU DOING INTERRUPTING MY WORK?!?"

With that, the rope is severed, and a seventy point weight begins flying through the air, angled right towards the robot.

24. - Top - End - #174

Undisclosed Location

Hades narrows his eyes, blinking once.

What a weak man...how could this Marciano have saved him?
    The former hoplite girds himself in armor quickly, stretching to test the mobility of his new suit.

Then, he will take the shield and feel its weight, before swinging one of the swords a few times.

These are well made.

When do you expect to be attacked?

Breakview

Well...there's not much our pale-faced hero(?) can do, besides throw the kidney at the mad doctor, aiming directly for his face!
    Kidneys are slippery...there's a decent chance that he'll miss.

Det is not a bad aim, he's just not especially strong, and he vomited recently, so the man is a little shaky...
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Angel in the Playground Moderator

[Breakview Hospital]

Psi notices the weight coming at her and swiftly sidesteps it. At incredible speed, her senses make a note of the doctor cutting a rope overhead. This seems convenient.

"Data logged."

Psi will jump onto another platform if there is one available, and fires a small, concentrated beam of energy at another random rope in an attempt to sever it. Causing trouble must be in her mind.

With her other hand, she fires another energy beam in the Doctor's direction.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Grief

The large beast is quiet for a few moments, considering the answer it had been given. Finally it gives an amused chuffing sound as it gets up and looks at it's right, towards a break forming in the clouds to reveal an all-too-large moon. There is a temple in that direction. An hour away. The child is there sleeping. It tells them as it begins to fade. I will be waiting. Do not stray from the path for it will keep you safe. It adds, the teeth fading last. In its stead is a small boy's backpack that it had been sitting in front of, the kind with wheels, and the start of a four foot wide path marked only by two lines drawn into the soil.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post

Curiously, the Ssutans give no indications of being dead - in fact, they all look quite healthy. They don't glow, or hover, or pass through one another. No translucence or ghastly moaning to give them away either.

The roofed path around the edges of the courtyard seems relatively clear of spirits - there are a few outliers leaning on pillars or chatting with their backs turned. They pass close to one as Vax shrouds them, and it seems to work. The lot of them continue with their studies or chatter in quiet reverie.

The dreamlike stillness and quiet is broken by the sound of Sticks' voice, emanating from the totem. He is not a particularly loud man, but his voice is still far from the volume one might consider stealthy. "Vax? Zareen? The silence gnaws at me. Have you reached the courtyard I spoke of?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post

If the spirits didn't react to Sticks voice, they probably wouldn't react to her reply either. Still, she holds her hand close to the totem to somewhat block his and her voice. "We are the courtyard. There are spirits here. Trying to sneak past." Zareen can at least slither stealthily, a slight advantage to feet and shoes that usually made sounds when they walked.

"Quietly." Vax says, barely a whisper. It'd be a wonder if Sticks heard. Zareen should get the message, though. These beings can look as alive and nonthreatening as they like, she doesn't trust it for a second. Hopefully they can keep moving past without the beings being alerted. If that hasn't happened already.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

The Call

Gwen, now dressed in hiking clothes and carrying a water bottle, approaches the location she was told to go to by the mysterious voice.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Call

Into a forest, large and old, Down a tunnel, recently widened. Into a cavern, populated by one being.

Sixty-one feet tall, Iriel now looks very inhuman. Like a scorpion, but the tail is another body. This other body is topped by an inhuman face, with only one eye. There are pupils in the eye. They constantly move and shift past each other. there is another eye on her chest, with black pits moving randomly across the triangle-shaped eye. There's another eye, too, where the scorpion's head should be. It only has one pupil. It's shaped like the Mandelbrot set.

The more human part of the body has arms. They're praying mantis arms. The scorpion part really starts being less scorpion-like when you notice the long, pale tentacles that reach off of the scorpion's back.

Finally, the human head has hair. It writhes and moves, as if it is alive in and of itself. Some of it moves toward Gwen, and she can see that it is hair... long, prehensile blue strands of hair.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

The Call

Gwen steps back, in awe of the being in front of her, speechless and utterly awestruck.