New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Legend of Korra, Book 4: Too Graphic for TV

There's been a lot of mediocre reviews showing up, which is unfortunate.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    For the videogame I hope (has there ever been a decent Avatar videogame?). This fourth season has been pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

The game is... okay, I guess? For a 15$ dollar beat'em up? What really disturbs me is the fact that

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, equalists work for spirits now. Because... Uh... Reasons?
    Last edited by Hyena; 2014-10-22 at 10:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Got to air temple island. So far my opinion is that I've been fine spending $15 on much, much worse. It's not bad, though man passing the probending solo was annoying. Target with left stick click, then use right stick to change targets until you force off 1 at a time, and get good at counter timing and dodging.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    It's on steam already? It just got released to consoles this week.

Not played it, but I keep seeing adds for it on face book. I want to like it, but I'm already worried since Activision is involved.
    It's made by Platinum and therefor is alright in my books. If I had money I'd own it by now and have more to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
    The game is... okay, I guess? For a 15$ dollar beat'em up? What really disturbs me is the fact that

Spoiler
    Show
    It's also non canon by my understanding so you can likely ignore that

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    Got to air temple island. So far my opinion is that I've been fine spending $15 on much, much worse. It's not bad, though man passing the probending solo was annoying. Target with left stick click, then use right stick to change targets until you force off 1 at a time, and get good at counter timing and dodging.
    I beat it last night, I can say that I liked it and that it was worth 15 bucks. The best piece of advice I can offer is charge your attacks. When you got charged Ki Korra is noticeably stronger and finding ways to make use of those buffs is the best way to go through the game. If you blindly button mash, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, don't forget about the shop, which you can enter from the game over screen. Buy the bending scrolls and books (especially the fire bending book because air dashes are great) and have a couple of healing items equipped.

You are at the roughest part of the game, with only one bending style unlocked but it becomes much better when all your combat options are available to you.
    Last edited by Gettles; 2014-10-23 at 01:32 AM.
    Thanks to Lindorm for the Ziltoid avatar.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geez, talk about adding insult to injury. I do hope it's not canon.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gettles View Post
    I beat it last night, I can say that I liked it and that it was worth 15 bucks. The best piece of advice I can offer is charge your attacks. When you got charged Ki Korra is noticeably stronger and finding ways to make use of those buffs is the best way to go through the game. If you blindly button mash, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, don't forget about the shop, which you can enter from the game over screen. Buy the bending scrolls and books (especially the fire bending book because air dashes are great) and have a couple of healing items equipped.

You are at the roughest part of the game, with only one bending style unlocked but it becomes much better when all your combat options are available to you.
    Hey, with where I am I don't EVEN have 1 style unlocked yet. "Got to air temple island" meant got to that chapter. :-)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Uhh... maybe those Equalists aren't working alongside the spirits? Maybe they're just remnants who are independently out to hunt down the Avatar?
    Don't tell me they actually do work for that end boss?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Uhh... maybe those Equalists aren't working alongside the spirits? Maybe they're just remnants who are independently out to hunt down the Avatar?
    Look, a guy comes up to hire you to take out the Avatar and steal her Chi, you gonna complain?

11. - Top - End - #131

DruidGuy

Also, with this kind of numbers on their side and so many mecha-tanks, how did equalists lose the control of the city in the first place? Did they just decide "No Amon - no revolution, time to hunt down the Avatar instead"?
    Last edited by Hyena; 2014-10-23 at 09:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That always seemed a bit weird to me too. Maybe when they found out amon was a fraud they lost heart and disbanded?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

13. - Top - End - #133

DruidGuy

Well, given that bending council was replaced with a non-bending president, I guess equalists made some demands and they were fulfilled.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

The ending to Book One was half-assed - news at 11.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #135

DruidGuy

New episode here. Really nothing here to say, except that Meelo is super annoying.

By the way, anyone else grows tired of Korrasami shippers? It's like new Zutara.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Episode 4 Spoilers
    Show
    After finally working things out in her own head, Korra was able to bend the last of the metal poison out of herself and reach the Avatar State again. I liked how Toph explained how each of the prior villains had good points but fell to extremism.

Other than that the episode was mostly centred on Tenzin's kids. I think this is about the only episode Ikki's been focused on actually. Meelo's also a lot better at drawing than his great uncle Sokka too, clearly. We also got to revisit the wall of Avatars. And Toph had some amazing recaps of how she taught Aang to earthbend and how they took down the Fire Lord.

It was also outright confirmed that Kuvira's heading off to invade Zaofu with her Earth Empire forces, the next episode will be centred on the invasion itself no doubt. Still, while Korra's removed the metal poison from herself so Kuvira can't go Magneto vs Wolverine on her and has the Avatar State again, it almost certainly won't be as simple to fight Kuvira at this point in the season as it seems.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

New episode here. Really nothing here to say, except that Meelo is super annoying.
    That about sums it up, unfortunately. It kind of felt like a waste of time.

Spoiler
    Show
    The airbending kids are annoying, and their family drama is boring, but more than half of the episode is focused on them. Korra's internal struggle comes off as half-hearted as a result - although this is also because I cannot treat Amon and Unalok seriously, period. So in the end everyone just sort of stumbled around, found each other, hugged and fixed things. Oh well. At least now it's over with and she can get down to business fighting Kuvira.

Also, it looks like the speculation about Omashu was predictably rendered irrelevant, since Zaofu is the only city left for Kuvira to take over.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-10-24 at 04:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Why, after 3 friggin' seasons, does this show still insist on playing Family Ties with the boring Tenzhin family?!?! Didn't we have enough of that for the 1st 3 seasons?
    I don't mind the teenage winged squirrel airbending team, but Tenzhin's children are juuuust short of being interesting teenage adventurers. They are not relevant. Why must we deal with them when we have ready-made teenage protag airbenders fostered from season 3?

19. - Top - End - #139

DruidGuy

Agreed. Meelo is more unlikable then prince Wu - because Wu is, at least, funny, and Jinora is more of a mary sue stick in the mud character then book 1 Katara was. I would rather watch Kai, Opal and Ikki - but no, the writers think we gotta love some Tenzin family drama.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MLai View Post
    Why, after 3 friggin' seasons, does this show still insist on playing Family Ties with the boring Tenzhin family?!?! Didn't we have enough of that for the 1st 3 seasons?
    I don't mind the teenage winged squirrel airbending team, but Tenzhin's children are juuuust short of being interesting teenage adventurers. They are not relevant. Why must we deal with them when we have ready-made teenage protag airbenders fostered from season 3?
    Agreed. Meelo is more unlikable then prince Wu - because Wu is, at least, funny, and Jinora is more of a mary sue stick in the mud character then book 1 Katara was. I would rather watch Kai, Opal and Ikki - but no, the writers think we gotta love some Tenzin family drama.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd honestly rather see more introspection and self-reflection from Korra than relationship drama from the people looking for her, regardless of who they are. I doubt the older airbenders would have been much more interesting than the kids.

As far as comparing Prince Wu and Meelo goes, I used to put them on about the same level, but after the third episode the prince kind of comes off as deliberately pathetic, and I started to feel bad for him. Meelo is just a walking fart joke.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-10-24 at 05:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I would rather see Korra kicking ass then doing any kind of thinking. Last time it happened, the writers came up with "Unalaq was right about opening the portals because reasons", and I would rather not take the risk of Korra getting any more crazy ideas.
    By the way, am I the only one, who thinks that writer notes for season 1 and season 2 got mixed up? Because when Amon tries to bring equality to the world, Korra antagonizes him without much of a thought. When Unalaq annexes South Water Tribe and lets loose spirits, creatures known for unstoppable power, bad temper and little love for humans, Korra is all "Well, he may have a point!".

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yeah but at least Opal is sooooo much easier on the eyes.

LoK suffers from the problem of... outside of Team Korra all the other good guys are either snotty little kids or gray old ppl. We don't have any say, 30-40 y/o beautiful/handsome/cool/stylish protag characters.

And hey at least Opal is related to the central conflict by way of Bolin, Kuvira, and Suyin. Her character dramas can have relevance.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I would rather see Korra kicking ass then doing any kind of thinking. Last time it happened, the writers came up with "Unalaq was right about opening the portals because reasons", and I would rather not take the risk of Korra getting any more crazy ideas.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I'd take it over the wacky hijinks of squirrel-kids.

By the way, am I the only one, who thinks that writer notes for season 1 and season 2 got mixed up? Because when Amon tries to bring equality to the world, Korra antagonizes him without much of a thought. When Unalaq annexes South Water Tribe and lets loose spirits, creatures known for unstoppable power, bad temper and little love for humans, Korra is all "Well, he may have a point!".
    Certainly not. I had the exact same impression.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Just rewatched all of AtLA (it was Fall Break). Have to say, their pronunciation of Tui is the only one that particularly annoys me. I still instinctively call him Tway, since that's the actual Mandarin pronunciation of it. Every other Anglicization is fine with me. (Well... Wan Shee Tong also confused me, but it makes sense. The alternative would run the risk of sounding like the word shit. Because that's a decent approximation of the sound the i makes)
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

One of the writer's posted a little bit about Zuko's daughter/the current Firelord, including her name.

Spoiler: Zuko's daughter
    Show
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

By "bring equality to the world", you mean make a bunch of unfounded assertions about benders and threaten to attack and cause permanent harm to all of them (EDIT: Oh, and in their first meeting, almost did so to one of her friends), and then actually did attack Republic City. As for Unalaq, once it was clear he was acting for power, she was hardcore against him too, arguably even more so than Amon. That said, there was clearly agreement that Amon had a point buried somewhere in his anti-Bender propaganda, since the council was dissolved and they elected a president.
    Last edited by Reverent-One; 2014-10-24 at 08:35 AM.
    Thanks to Elrond for the Vash avatar.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phexar View Post
    One of the writer's posted a little bit about Zuko's daughter/the current Firelord, including her name.

Spoiler: Zuko's daughter
    Show
    They also had something to say about the Equalists. Apparently, after Amon's exposure they fractured, but in the end, they made their point and increased awareness of non-bender representation, which led to the dissolution of the Council and Raiko's election through a majority non-bender vote. They even tentatively admitted that maybe they didn't do a good enough job portraying it in the actual show. It's all too little, too late, but it's still interesting to know. At least it's something to chew on, with the latest episode being rather uninspired.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-10-24 at 09:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

DruidGuy

bunch of unfounded assertions about benders
    I don't see how his assersions are unfounded.

cause permanent harm to all of them (EDIT: Oh, and in their first meeting, almost did so to one of her friends)
    I don't see how loss of a superpower is a permament harm.

29. - Top - End - #149

Well, it's definitely a permanent alteration of their physical abilities. If their livelihood depended on bending, like those lightning-bender power station employees, then I can see losing it as a harmful thing.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

And people born blind or deaf might have a hard time seeing how losing those senses is harm.