New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Guides, Tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

but still there's no 5e table formatting that's already been put in place to copy/paste? Ugh. Maybe I'll have to get around to doing it. Homebrewing custom classes is just too troublesome without it.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

I really like this cleric guide.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/p...hreads/4168996

And thank you. You are doing a terrific job.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A very slick encounter generator, from Goblinist: http://tools.goblinist.com/5enc
    Matters of Critical Insignificance - My Blog for all my favorite entertainment
    11/4: Announcing the Vow of Honor KS! (I contributed)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Treantmonk has made a guide for 5e Wizards that you can add to the Class Guides list

Part 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...JP0oH7HE_v67QY
    Part 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...ag8uBJndE5saro
    Please tell me the answer, is fate unchangeable?
    Even at his most powerless, man's existence is never without meaning.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

I commend you for making this thread, since guides are useful for keeping your build focused on its goals and not getting stuck in things that don't help you do what you are trying to.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Here you go guys, preset class tables.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...or-5e-Homebrew
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Hi all,

I humbly suggest my own excel Spell list, sortable by class, school, level, etc.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Spell-Database

bye!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I updated my Ranger guide to come in line with the Unearthed Arcana released so far. Feel free to scream at me via PM or post if you disagree with me.

9. - Top - End - #69

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    This thread is an attempt to collate a list of the many new guides and references that have been popping up around the fifth edition version of D&D. The goal is to give anyone looking for general advice a single location from which they can find almost anything they could need.

Note: Given the fact that we are all at present new to this system, it is likely safe to assume that all of the following guides are a work in progress to some degree, even if they do not say as much. They still contain good advice, just keep it in mind

Spoiler: Class Guides!
    Show

Barbarian:
    The Gentleman's Guide to Proper Barbarism by Jell_Moo
    I'll NEVER Die! by NeoSeraphi

Bard:
    A party without music is lame: A Bard Guide by Mellored

Cleric:
    The Devout and the Dead, a guide to clerics by Yorrin
    For God and Party-A cleric's guide by DanMathMan

Druid:
    5e Druid Handbook - Land & Moon by Hymer
    Thy Fearful Symmetry: A Circle of the Moon Handbook by RCanine
    Lunar Wilds: A Moon Druid Animal Guide by Yunru (note: incomplete, and the maker is apparently no longer interested in updating)

Fighter:
    Bow Bond: An Eldritch Knight’s guide to Archery By MightyThokk
    The Art of War: A Fighter Guide by Koga305

Monk:
    Kicking and Screaming, a guide to monks by The Crowing1432
    Meditation, Mediation, Devastation: A Monk's Guide by Yunru

Paladin:
    Oathbound: The Paladin Guide by GladiusLegis
    A Guide to the D&D 5th Edition Paladin through the eyes of a 3.5 Player by T.G. Oskar
    Good is Not Nice, A paladin's guide by EvilAnagram

Ranger:
    Not all who wander are lost, A Ranger's Guide by EvilAnagram
    Animal Buddy: A guide to the Ranger's beast companion by Lord Ventnor (note: thread simply has a link to the guide, which is in google docs format)
    The Outdoorsman Guide to Natural Ranging: A Rangers Guide by dwgautier

Rogue:
    A Knife in the Dark – The Rogue’s Handbook by Clutchbone
    Dealing Death: Handbook of the True Assassin by GladiusLegis
    Person_Man’s 5E Rogue Guide

Sorcerer:
    Power Overwhelming: A Sorcerer guide by RhaegarT
    Sorcerer Guide by sorxores

Warlock:
    Blade, Book, and Chain - A Warlock Guide by Mephi1234
    Pact-making 101: A guide to the 5th edition Warlock by Oncoming Storm

Wizard:
    The master of the arcane by rfkannen
    Arrive On Time by TheBigHouse

Spoiler: Character Builds - mechanical focus
    Show

Breaking BM by Easy_Lee A guide for those wanting to get the most out of the Beastmaster
    Dual Wielding Battlelock by Easy_Lee A guide for those wanting to build the warlock in to a melee DPR master.
    Skill Monkey Builds by Mistwell Make those lockpicks dance.
    The Coffee Drow by XmonkTadUse and abuse your sorcery points. Note: DM judgement required to use

Spoiler: Character Builds - concept focus
    Show

The Li'l Chef by Easy_Lee You eat what you kill has rarely been a more disturbing phrase.
    The Crazy Alchemist by Easy_Lee If you see this guy running like crazy, try to run faster than he is.
    Shaken, not Stirred by Easy_Lee For those that dream of being the master bond style spy.
    Does that Dark Cloak come in a Large? by Easy_Lee The gang's muscleman

Spoiler: Guides for specific in game actions
    Show

The Grappler's Manual - Grappling in 5th Edition by ktkenshinx. A guide to making your opponent cry uncle
    Stealth, Hiding, and you! by Noctaem. A guide to being that sneaky bastard.
    GWM reference table by Xetheral, analyses the "-5+10" aspect of the feat Great Weapon Mastery. Should help in deciding whether or not to invoke it.
    Ways to attack with your reaction by GladiusLegis. a list of ways to bring the pain when it is the other guy's turn.
    Use an object action and thief by dwgautier a discussion on some of many uses that fast hands can get you
    Minor Conjuration: Use and Abusestarted by slipperychicken. A discussion on the many potential uses of creating objects at will.
    Master of Reactions A listing of the many things one can do with one's reaction by Odigity

Spoiler: Guides for magic use
    Show

List of Useful and Powerful Spells started by Person_Man
    Annual Cantrip Review started by FluffyBunbunkittens, review and discussion of the various at will cantrips available for use
    Conjurer of Cheap Tricks - A Conjuration Handbook by IxidorRS, a guide to making new friends. (literally)
    A Compilation of Useful Spell Lists by Leugren. This is a list of spells sorted by various features. (Want a list of everything you can cast while tied up? this will help)
    Know Your Rites: A Guide to Ritual Castingby Oraibi. This guide shows you the ins and outs of ritual spells
    MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage by Yorrin. Flinging balls of fire around may be neat, but it might not be the most effective element to choose to work with in the long run. For an idea of how often baddies are going to just shrug off your spell, have a gander at this analysis of creature entries from the Monster Manual

Spoiler: Other useful threads and guides
    Show

Magic Item Distribution by FireLance, this guide gives DMs an idea of how much in the way of magical loot a party playing "default D&D" can expect to pick up
    Complete List of action recharge times by Jkat718, lists abilities by their recharge time, useful for planning action economy
    Non obvious combosStarted by ZardnaarTips and tricks to combine small features together to great effect
    A useful DnD 5e Primer by Person_Man
    Feat Analysis; First impressions of a wanna be optimizer - by Beige
    The DM's guide to Pre-Game ambiguous RAW started by Corinath
    The Magic Economy by MukkTB is a great thread discussing Magic Items and using them as loot
    DPR King Candidates by Borg285, this guide compares a number of character builds by melee DPR.
    Handbook to Guide Writing by Dictum_Mortuum. The handbook of handbooks for handbooks. Seriously though, this guy has posted some of the best D&D guides out there, and his advice on creating your own is solid.
    Level Dip guide by Mellored. Offers advice on multiclass dips
    Fighting Styles Overview/Discussion/Whathaveyou by Mechaviking. A discussion of the pros and cons of various fighting styles.
    Repository: Homebrew and original ContentCollated by Kalani. A long list of homebrew content for those of us who want more options
    Let's talk about multiclass cutoff points Started by Joseph Silver. This thread features a discussion of optimal points to stop taking levels in particular classes when multiclassing.

Spoiler: Amazingly Useful Websites
    Show

This spell sorter/index is a massive compendium of 5e spells, sortable by every statistic. Great for spell casters.
    Another Spell Compendium This one lists some more information and can run a more specific search.
    5E Premade Characters Site run by twitch, a massive listing of premade character sheets for all classes and levels. Perfect for that late addition to the table who needs a quick start
    Sage Advice - A massive compendium of tweets made from developers to players who ask them questions
    A Monster Analysis Blog Created by Surfarcher
    Monsters by CR - straight from WotC
    Encounter Builder Mostly a tool for DMs, this website helps one build challenging encounters for a group of a particular level and size.

Spoiler: Home Brew Material
    Show
    D&D 5e Homebrew Compendium A massive compilation of D&D 5E homebrew material, the good, the bad and the ugly. Whatever you're looking for, checking here is a good idea. Great work TwelveTrees!

D&Dwiki homebrewLarge collection of homebrew on a site well known as a go to for D&D knowledge.

Spoiler: Credit!
    Show

Thanks go to several individuals who have helped in this thread and its progenitor by suggesting threads to add to the list. They include (but may not be limited to), GWJ_DanyBoy, T.G. Oskar, Zoltar, Thomar_of_Uointer, neovenator250, Xetheral, Greylind, Odigity, Rfkannen, Hymer, Rezby, Ghost Nappa, Krymoar, and Kryx

a similar thread by HeirRaktus on the community.wizards.com website was used to locate additional content. Credit goes to odigity for suggesting it

This thread is the unofficial successor to "The META THREAD of useful things!", created by Corinath here Corinath then essentially disappeared. Rather than letting it die, this version was posted to keep the index growing

Enjoy the thread, I hope others get good use out of it.

By all means, please let me know if I have missed something or if there is new content out there. I'll be keeping an eye out, but of course I can't spot everything.
    This is so helpful, thank you!

10. - Top - End - #70

@EnderDwarf: In the future, you don't need to respond with a quote, especially for such a long post. Thanks!

Sincerely,
    Mobile Users Everywhere
    Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal
    Current PbP Game: 5th Edition low-level game IC OOC Tracker Map
    Current PbP Game: I6 - Ravenloft IC OOC

Full Signature
    I often post from mobile, so feel free to correct any typos.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Halfling in the Playground

I think it would be useful to merge this post with another list of guides, provided here:
    http://zenithgames.blogspot.ru/2014/...to-guides.html
    Fi onio duo rena!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Add the Sage Advice Compendium
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Advice-is-out
    http://media.wizards.com/2015/downlo...ndium_1.01.pdf

Some guides need to adapt to this new ruling, as Eldritch Knight guides (no more semiautomatic handcrossbow and shield), or Warlocks guides with Crossbow expert.
    Last edited by Luriant; 2015-07-21 at 11:52 AM.
    Sorry: Spanish user with low level english.

13. - Top - End - #73

DwarfClericGuy

I made a monk guide, see my signature. Can you add it?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Main post updated with a new category. Enough general character OP guides out there that I felt it deserved its own spoiler tag.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I forgot to mention here that I finished a Bard Guide.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

17. - Top - End - #77

Thanks for recommending my post. I could've sworn it was already on here, but I guess not
    Show
    Current Live Game: Defenders of Stormfast, "A Brave New World of Adventure" Obsidian Portal

Full Signature

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Great post guys, it will help me to build a proper character since I'm new with this system; unfortunately, WotC did it again.

Remember when they decided to take down all their 3.5 post from their forums? Well, apparently they decided to take ALL their post now from their forums. Which means that many of the Guides of this post are now lost.

I have click some of the links here and this is what I get:

Quote from WotC:

Thank you for your interest in the Wizards Forums.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players. All information posted to the Community Forums as of November 5 has been deleted.

For further questions, please contact us at wizards custhelp com
    Last edited by Dericof Diname; 2015-11-08 at 10:11 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If you get some time for clean-up, delete all the threads linking back to the now-defunct WotC forums (what WERE they thinking????).
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Could one of the moderators update the posts that link to the Wizards of the Coast forums? Half of them don't work anymore. They were deleted, so I presume it's senseless having guides pointing at posts not there anymore.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, since Wizards took down their forum, maybe someone should do something about the links pointing there. Rule of Three.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'll get on it as soon as I have time, should be later today. This is a lot of lost data, I do hope the original creators are up to recreating their works elsewhere.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I'll get on it as soon as I have time, should be later today. This is a lot of lost data, I do hope the original creators are up to recreating their works elsewhere.
    Thank you!
    And let's hope your hope is warranted.

24. - Top - End - #84

Perhaps, rather than delete the text of the links, you could just cross them out, so people can look to see if their favorite guides have been posted elsewhere, and you could update the link.
    Show

Full Signature

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

All right, done weeding. Unfortunately, the post is now looking somewhat anemic. Of particular concern, we've lost all of our fighter and sorcerer class guides, and several other classes are down to just one. Several other useful resources have been lost as well.

The text from defunct links have been moved to a 'graveyard' section. If people happen to know of locations where the resources in question have been re-posted, I would be glad to hear it.

I just made a lot of changes, and will be surprised if no mistakes were made in the process, so please bring any to my attention.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2015-11-09 at 11:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, there's a fighter handbook here, which looks okay. It even goes into EK spell selection, which is something a lot of fighter guides only glance at.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

On the bright side, I can now claim without reservation to have the best Ranger guide on the web.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilAnagram View Post
    On the bright side, I can now claim without reservation to have the best Ranger guide on the web.
    I admit to having looked for the bright side in similar places.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Try looking on Enworld for the old guides. It looks like a bunch of them were preserved there.
    Avatar of Lukas Stormlord the Paladin done by the Lovely Ceika!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hymer View Post
    Well, there's a fighter handbook here, which looks okay. It even goes into EK spell selection, which is something a lot of fighter guides only glance at.
    Bingo, that is indeed one of the ones we lost