1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [Semi #2]

Welcome to The Stick Awards II: Second Edition!

The Stick Awards are handed out to the best strips of all time as chosen by our fellow Playgrounders.

Over the next few days, we're taking a bit of a break and continuing The Best of the Hundred Tournament for Comics #501 - #600 as we take the time to decide which of the strips really are the best of best.

For full details about the Stick Awards, and any questions about them, please check out the main thread here.

To read more about the original Stick Awards, created by Nazzo, the 102nd, please read his thread here.

To vote in this thread, simply state which comic of the five listed is your favorite. Bolding the number of the comic (Like this) helps it stand out.

Voting, which only lasts five days during the Best of the Hundred Tournament will close on October 20th, 4pm EDT. Any votes made after that will NOT count toward the totals.

The winner of this semi-final will go on to the finals which will be held after this second semi-final is done. The two strips that get the most votes during the semis that DIDN'T win, will also reach the finals. So voting is extra special important this time around, as it will determine who the 'Wild Card' entrants are.

In the previous semi-final, 550 - +1 BFF decided that the best way to fight its battles was to save its strength and to fight another day. As such it will indeed see at least one more test as it moves on to the finals of this set of the Best of the Hundred

Meanwhile, 538 - Fiend or Foe? is currently holding down Wild Card spot #1 with 6 votes and 505 - ...Or We Will All Stick Separately is holding down Wild Card spot #2 with 2 votes. Thus if another strip is to enter the finals without winning this semi, it has to get at least 2 votes.

At least one strip is now in this Best of the Hundred. But the rest are still shrouded in shadow. To figure out who else will be joining, we need your votes. So let's get dangerous and start the vote for....

................THE STICK AWARDS II:
    BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT (501-600)
    ..............(Semi-Final #2)

Vote, vote, vote, vote for the best of The Order of the Stick strips by voting in....
    The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Voting is now underway for
    the Best of the Hundred Tournament (501-600 [FINALS])

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition (BotH [#0501-#0600]) [Semi #2]

That is a really though one. On the one side there is 587 with one of the more awesome phrases the comic has ever delivered. On the other side there is 593 featuring the tragic death of Therkla.

I think I should really be voting for 593, but currently I just can't resist the lure of 587 - What to Expect When You're Expecting Assassins. (And I have the feeling that 593 will have enough supporters anyway)

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2014/09/10 - Containing:
    16 Stick it to You, 3 Stick it to My Family, 39 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

The lure is strong with 587, as it has hooked myself as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodan View Post
    I must be the least observant person on the planet.

I JUST noticed, after reading the comic since 2007ish, THAT V HAS BEEN WEARING A CLOAK SINCE COMIC 1

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

593, of course

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

578, I suppose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmmm, this one is tougher. I voted for 568 and 587 in the previous rounds, but 593 is also pretty good. I think in the end, my vote goes to #568. I can't wait for the next hundred, where on one of my favorite strips is.
    Jaxzan

How vampires work in OOTS.

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Nearly all of these are great, but in the end I can't vote for anything but 593: Another Choice. The pathos in it is just too strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    When Durkon gets hungry, he'll come through the OotS-verse's notoriously fragile fourth wall and dine on the people who have called him something goofy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Better batch than the previous one. #593 gets my vote.
    THE SCRYING SENSOR AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Mongolian hordes. Lots of lots of mongolian hordes. With a mongolian warrior chief. They will conquer Gobbotopia and rename it as Mongolitopia. Because that makes so much sense.

Also ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    elan: dad plz dont kill roy
    tarquin: ok
    Damn it! Now I have to rewrite the script for #917.
    Spoiler: NSFW
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

It's between 568 for humour and 593 for drama.

I'm going with 593. I like Therkla.

Aw, my mind is playing "A Little Fall of Rain" now, and it's making me sad.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2014-10-15 at 05:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

A lot of my favorites from Don't Split the Party can be found here - but in the end, 587 - What To Expect When You're Expecting Assassins gets my vote. One of the most memorable scenes in the book, in my opinion.
    group hug!
    Hold person.

You forgot that the half-orc cleric who researched it is Redcloak's niece.
    Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome elf cleric avatar made by Kurien. Many thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

568 for me. Belkar's comeuppance was very satisfying, and I never found Therkla's death as moving as a lot of people.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I can say with absolute certainty that no one ever told Rich his books would stop being published if he didn't include a lesbian airship captain.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

Useful links:

OOTS Smilies Thread
    Index of the Giant's Comments
    (more later)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

568, lickmyorangeballshalfling is an awesome village name xD
    thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

Thanks to zimmerwald for the amazing avatar

13. - Top - End - #13

#568 is both extremely hilarious and extremely satisfying.
    All thanks to half-halfling for the avatar.

There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

There is multiple strong strips in this bunch.

But for me, there is NO WAY 587 would not go in final !!
    Last edited by Timy; 2014-10-16 at 03:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

568 - my favourite Therkla strips did not make it to the semis, so I'm sticking with and the unsurprisingly well prepared oracle.

16. - Top - End - #16

587 and 593 are strong contenders, but the oracle's payback is just too good.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2014-10-16 at 06:26 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #17

DwarfClericGuy

So far we've got :
    568 : 6
    587 : 4
    593 : 4
    578 : 1

18. - Top - End - #18

587. Secondary character awesomeness!
    Pinky splint. Typing slowed through mid-July.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

568 gets my vote.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

568 is the one I vote for.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

593, no doubt.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

593 - Another Choice
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

This is a tough one. Unlike apparently a lot of other people, I didn't really like 587. But 552, 568, and 593 are all top-notch. In particular, 552 and 593 are difficult to compare, since one ends an arc that the other starts. Ultimately, though, 593 does a better job showing me how emotionally invested I am in the characters--552 was mostly just for laughs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If Orcus was a nesting doll, that would certainly make the whole thing work smoother. When you cast a level 1 summoning spell, you summon the little Orcus from the middle, but when you cast Gate, you get the really big Orcus that holds all the small Orcuses.

Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Hands down, my favorite death scene of all time in any work of art.
    With the exception, of course, of the dearly departed Milk Dudes.
    Have a gaad day everybody!
    I like white text. Highlight my posts for bonus goodies.
    Hail Banjo.
    Currently playing the Azurites in Civ Game 10. "...But lets face it, your children are going to die horribly and there's nothing you can do about it." - the first Grand Azurite Advisor Dude

25. - Top - End - #25

Much harder choice than the other semi-final; I think I voted for all of these. Kasumi in 587 is still, of course, pure distilled awesomeness; 568 has a great set-up and punchline; but I have to go for 593 for such a great NPC death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."
    Fantastic avatar by the very generous and talented Kymme!

26. - Top - End - #26

HalflingPirate

I choose 578 now.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

All hail the ascended Red Shirts! Long live House Kato!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorteld View Post
    I'm sorry if this is showing a complete lack of respect for the gravity of the situation, but...

AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

That was priceless.

28. - Top - End - #28

DwarfClericGuy

We are now at :
    593 : 9
    568 : 8
    587 : 6
    578 : 2

29. - Top - End - #29

NinjaGuy

Well, this is an easy vote for me, especially since I don't have to worry about ties in this stage of the Stick Awards. Oracle all the way, baby! I gave my reasons before on why I love 568 and they still stand now. To expand a bit though, part of it was just how unexpected it was. I mean, looking back, one would think an All Seeing Oracle would have a few tricks up his sleeve in situations like this. But this specific one?

Pure. Gold.

Gonna set up a real difficult vote for me for the next round though!

But that's for then. As for now....

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

568 - A Sign That You Have a Problem and 593 - Another Choice are the winners of this semi-final! Both now move on to the finals for the Best of the Hundred tournament (501-600).

Ordinarily, a tie would take up one of the Wild Card spots. However, we have a tie for the second Wild Card as well, meaning both 538 - Fiend or Foe? and 587 - What to Expect When You're Expecting Assassins will advance onwards with six votes apiece.

Full Results are as follows:

.............THE STICK AWARDS II:
    ..BEST OF THE HUNDRED TOURNAMENT
    ......... (501-600 | Semi-Final #2)

Comic Number Votes Received Vote Percentage

Please join us as we finish this Best of the Hundred tournament, in this thread here.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2014-10-20 at 03:04 PM.
    Vote, vote, vote, vote for the best of The Order of the Stick strips by voting in....
    The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Voting is now underway for
    the Best of the Hundred Tournament (501-600 [FINALS])

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb