New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside

1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside

[The Astral Wilds]

Watching baby baboons cling to their mother's back is actually pretty adorable.

Probably less adorable when one has been thrust into the situation due to not taking a horrifically lethal plane seriously.

"Well, I think that's what the modrons are worried about,"
    Jezreel admits. "They don't want some crazy new species of magical beast to get a foothold on Midgard and start causing all sorts of ecological damage. That's why they don't want to leg progenitors through. Or any wildling that's packing around young for that matter. If we want a chance at making it through the portal we're going to have to try for it after we ditch the munchkins."

All those fuzzy little munchkins!

"So that means we'll have to just poke around here for a day or two. Find something to eat. Just basic stuff," she says. "So long as you don't get killed and eaten we should be good. Getting killed means you respawn somewhere random in the Wilds. The chances of me finding you again if that happens are slim to none."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

[The Astral Wilds]

Hey! Cassia totally took it seriously! She just got bogged down a whole lot by the riddle-beast!

Cassia nods and says, "Yeah, I figured. How did you respawn in your bag, anyways?"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Shadowside]

Oh a hill where sometimes there is a castle, depending on whether people are paying attention to it, a hole appears in the air. It's quickly widened by a metal point, then turns into an honest-to-goodness dimensional rift as the letter opener is slid along the boundaries of the world. Through the hole comes a figure, who quickly turns to pinch the walls of the portal shut and then flips the letter opener casually, to have it vanish at the apex of it's airtime.

And she sets off walking down the hill. Got a long way to go.

The traveler is humanoid, feminine shaped, wearing a black rubbery outfit padded with protective plates, a bandoleer with several types of ammo and throwable weapon, and sunglasses, which curiously brighten the world here, causing several moments of disorientation when she first enters. Heavy yellow gauntlets that resemble a certain ludicrous weapon provide the only splash of color.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2014-10-24 at 03:10 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

[Shadowside]

Soon enough, wherever she may be going, she'll meet one of the denizens of this place... A rather imposing one, too, regardless of her skill. For, just below, in a slight dip shortly past the bottom of the hill, stands a twelve-foot tall monstrosity, bipedal, even humanoid (though partly shadow and partly flesh), but with legs jointed backwards, arms ending in masses of flesh with long, spindly-seeming - though as thick as a man's wrist, only the beast's massive nature causing them to appear fragile - tendrils sprouting from them, a four-part mouth in its belly, and a chaotic mass of spines growing from its back and tail.

As she looks down at it, it raises a long, horse-like, head and sniffs the air, peering around with the mess of cloudy grey eyes that coat its skull; it's quite likely that she's been spotted, or will be soon.

5. - Top - End - #125

[Shadowside]

Well. Isn't that unfortunate. She had expected this to be mostly empty. With monsters like that, it isn't hard to see why is would otherwise be do.
    Doesn't look like it can see to well.
    Doesn't look like it needs to.

She tries the optimistic thing. Turn aside, attempt to circle around, giving it a very wide berth.
    And keeping an eye on it the whole while.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

[Shadowside]

As might be expected, that tactic doesn't work all that well. Probably better than charging it, but it doesn't seem to have lost her scent, judging by its continued snuffling at the air, and the fact that it slowly turns to follow her progress, though it's not actually moving towards her just yet. Perhaps it's having trouble pinpointing her position? Her assumption about the quality of its eyesight does seem to be borne out by the fact that it's still not quite looking at her, so she might be able to distract it, if she has a way to generate a strong enough scent or make noise away from herself.

7. - Top - End - #127

[Shadowside]

The visitor, who I'm just going to skip to calling Hunter right away, points at an empty little hollow off to the side, trying to conjure a distracting.
    When happens instead is a small explosion, leaving a few metal fragments and the smell of ozone.

Which is still fairly distracting.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

[Shadowside]

The beast lets out a shrill screech of pain and anger, whipping around to charge the place that the flashbang, or whatever it was that Hunter conjured, went off. It's quite fast, for something that seems so unwieldy, and the tentacles sprouting from its wrists, which are lashing through the air around the site of the explosion, are even more so.

9. - Top - End - #129

[Shadowside]

It was supposed to be a large noisy bird. Hunter isn't really sure what went so wrong. The monster will probably soon find that there's nothing left there.

She doesn't really mind, taking the opportunity to head away, far enough to feel safe pausing and pulling an elephant gun out of the air. She stops near a small rock and turns to aim towards the monster. Aim for the eyes, or the mouth, what a question.
    Obviously the answer is 'the center, to be more likely to hit it', boring as that is.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

[Shadowside]

...Well, that got its attention. The bullet wasn't as damaging as one might expect, but it did leave a rather nasty hole in the creature despite that - though it seems that the earlier explosion was rather beneficial, since, though it spun around, it's not nearly as quick to charge, seemingly having trouble pinpointing the source of the sound.

11. - Top - End - #131

[Shadowside]

Low levels of system shock.
    Probably not a purely physical being, maybe made partly of the strange shadow-stuff here.
    Might not have immediately vital organs to disrupt, or might just be very hardy.

Anyway, that's less important to Hunter than cycling the gun and firing again before it can complete a charge.
    If it's quick enough to get close after that, her counter just has to be trying to dive and roll beneath the massive creation.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Gloom]

Kr and the lich will arrive here, in some location that roughly corresponds to where Vigil's mountain base will be in the material realm.

Kr has already erected a ward against the negative energies of the Gloom. The lich is a lich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

13. - Top - End - #133

[The Gloom]

Having up a deathward whilst in the Gloom is certainly a good idea if you're alive and desire to stay that way. There's a disturbing number of awful things lurking around here that will happily drain someone to death, up to and including the plane itself.

The surrounding terrain has the same general topology as the area around the tower, but the tower itself is conspicuously missing. Usually buildings will only manifest in the Gloom as a ghostly echo if some sort of undeath-related atrocity has been committed there. Kr and the lich will find themselves standing on an ossified mountain of bone sand-stone, the grains glued together by fossilized bile. A loose scree of bone fragments and sand shifts upon the surface, tumbling away down the slope and making their footing unsure. High above the blood moon glows with sanguine light while a cruel wind picks up, filling the air with the scent of dust, decay, and spilled blood. Vast dunes of bone sand stretch away in all directions, punctuated by the occasional dead tree incrusted with salt, a pool of black necrotic bile, or a titanic bone sticking out of the ground.

That last one would be their prize.

Titan bones can be worked into quite a number of useful objects if one is the sort of person inclined toward spooky magic.

Liches like spooky magic, right?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

The Gloom

Honestly? This lich is far less inclined towards spooky magic than many others of his kind. Perhaps because, unlike many liches, he took the dark path not because he desired the power over death, but because his nature as a Tiefling meant he is destined to eternal torture after death and lichdom seemed easiest at the time to avoid that.

He has red skin stretched taut over his bones, and is wearing dark red robes with a silver sickle at his waist. He activates several spells he had previously cast but deactivated, raising three shimmering layers of force over his frame- one a glossy purple, one a brilliant gold and the third a matt grey. They protect him from divination, magical attacks and physical damage. He then starts chanting in an archaic dialect of Draconic, waving his hands around as he activates a spell that will let him see the magic animating undead- not the energy itself, but the magic binding that energy. It's not foolproof, but it should let him see most undead even if they are invisible, hiding or pretending to be a corpse.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Gloom]

Kr observes the lich's spellcasting, committing his draconic chant in particular to memory. That seems like it could be useful.
    She points at the titan bone now.
    "I believe that will be suitable for my purposes. It can be inlaid into a more common material in order to provide a powerful focus for the magic I intend to harness."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

The Gloom

The lich nods and starts to walk towards it. Hopefully it's not too far away- his nature meant he didn't study any form of conjuration or teleportation magic, and magical flight did not exist when he was alive.

This may take a while.

17. - Top - End - #137

[The Gloom]

It looks like...

What?

Two miles, maybe?

Two miles away from their present location down the slope of the mountain and across a stretch of bone-sand dunes. That should be a pleasant stroll for our heroes, what with their wards and nature to protect them from the most lethal aspects of the plane.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

[The Shadow Temple of Tamamo]

Keiko appears, hopefully with Ivaz in tow!

Ivaz should be feeling pretty mellow, and maybe a bit sleepy - that happens when you've been drained into a wraith. But that feeling should pass quickly now that they're home.

Keiko giggles

There! Now you're all nice and shadowy: nobody can eat you, you can stay as long as you like and do whatever you want, and you won't get turned undead. Whenever you're ready to go home, I'll just change you back!

There is a party going on here, too: shadowy beings of many descriptions are milling around and enjoying the hospitality of the temple.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow Temple

Ivaz takes a moment to get used to the feelings she now has. This isn't something she's done before. Sure, she's traveled through and hidden in shadows a bunch. But becoming one? That was new.

But, it isn't long before Ivaz is glancing around, taking in all of the sights before her.

This place connect to the shadows of every world? Or just the Nexus?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple]

Keiko sighs and looks off into the distance

Yes. Think of how one shadow can merge with another. Both are still there, but you can't see them individually: so in the same way, we merge all of the worlds.

She shakes her head and grabs a random drink from a passing servant, looking serious for the first time this evening.

My Dad's the king of this area of the shadows. I'm a princess. I'm richer than most gods and thanks to my sister's promotion to goddess and the subsequent contract with Inari, I'm more powerful than most as well. I'm the youngest of five and spend most of my time bored out of my mind, but that doesn't mean I'm actually out of my mind.

Then she grins again, all seriousness vanishing in waves of hyper energy.

And who cares? Now, while you're here, you're officially my daughter which makes you a princess too! Something to think about, eh? So... what shall we do first?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    The Gloom

The lich nods and starts to walk towards it. Hopefully it's not too far away- his nature meant he didn't study any form of conjuration or teleportation magic, and magical flight did not exist when he was alive.

This may take a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [The Gloom]

It looks like...

What?

Two miles, maybe?

Two miles away from their present location down the slope of the mountain and across a stretch of bone-sand dunes. That should be a pleasant stroll for our heroes, what with their wards and nature to protect them from the most lethal aspects of the plane.
    [The Gloom]

Kr is capable of casting a flight spell for the both of them. However, in this barren landscape, taking to the air may attract undue attention, so Kr will settle with walking for now. The flight spells will be saved for an emergency.

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Shadow Temple]

Keiko sighs and looks off into the distance

Yes. Think of how one shadow can merge with another. Both are still there, but you can't see them individually: so in the same way, we merge all of the worlds.

She shakes her head and grabs a random drink from a passing servant, looking serious for the first time this evening.

My Dad's the king of this area of the shadows. I'm a princess. I'm richer than most gods and thanks to my sister's promotion to goddess and the subsequent contract with Inari, I'm more powerful than most as well. I'm the youngest of five and spend most of my time bored out of my mind, but that doesn't mean I'm actually out of my mind.

Then she grins again, all seriousness vanishing in waves of hyper energy.

And who cares? Now, while you're here, you're officially my daughter which makes you a princess too! Something to think about, eh? So... what shall we do first?
    Shadow Temple

Well, as long as we don't run into any people from my world. Pretty much everybody I know there wants to kill me.

Well, that's what you get for betraying a large mercenary organization, Ivaz.

She grabs a drink as well.

I'm your daughter here? Kinda weird. Takes a few options off the table, too. Probably.

Then she takes a swig of her drink and shrugs.

You pick something. I know nothing about this place, so I have no idea what we could do.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Temple]

Keiko looks around

Temple's not the best place to plan - still too many stuffy people and relatives. Let's go to Trog's - I've got some ideas! There's always lots to do!

Then she giggles as it settles in what "options" Ivaz meant

I said "officially", and besides, I'm sure we can find someone to help out with new options! That's never a problem, really: the hardest part is deciding exactly who to play with.

And so she bounces her way out of the temple.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

The Gloom

The lich stalks forwards, not tiring from traversing the mounds of bone sand. Mostly as he hasn't any need to sleep and therefore can't get tired. He will reach down and scoop a handful up, though, rubbing it into his dessicated hands; my lichs aren't fully skeletonised, but instead usually appear as natural mummies with dessicated flesh pulled tight over their bones. He's keeping a glowing eye-socket out for any signs of undead, the spell he cast earlier hopefully giving him advance warning should any appear.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Fenric View Post
    [Shadow Temple]

Keiko looks around

Temple's not the best place to plan - still too many stuffy people and relatives. Let's go to Trog's - I've got some ideas! There's always lots to do!

Then she giggles as it settles in what "options" Ivaz meant

I said "officially", and besides, I'm sure we can find someone to help out with new options! That's never a problem, really: the hardest part is deciding exactly who to play with.

And so she bounces her way out of the temple.
    Shadow Temple

Ivaz shrugs a bit. Works for me.

And then she will go to follow Keiko.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Trog's]

The shadow-side equivalent of Trog's Tavern is every bit as rough and uncouth as it's material plane counterpart. Keiko leads Ivaz in, and jostles her way through the crowd to a table in a corner. She takes a seat, grins conspiratorially, and turns the talk-faucet back on.

They get a bit uppity over there if they hear me talk about anything fun, and I don't want to get grounded again already! So anyway: I was thinking we could ride Blacky - he's our pet riding dragon - over to the Shadow side of the Hunting Grounds. We'll get a snack and feed him, then there's a camp of that turd Tenjin's cultists back in the material world there that I encouraged Caroline and Katrina to forget about. Since this is your first time as a shadow then I'm guessing you've never drained anyone before - and that's not something to miss! So we'll sneak out, make a couple of new friends and get all hyped up on their energy, then come back and go wight hunting out in the waste. Not that you can't hunt them when you're high, but it's not nearly as much fun! We'll see if we can find a gloom pearl or two and then you'll have a really nifty souvenier to take home with you. And I have an idea for wrapping up, but I need to check on that before we head out...

27. - Top - End - #147

Shadow Trog's

Ivaz shakes her head a bit.

Nope, never stole somebody's life essence before. I am connected to somebody that way, but that wasn't my doing. What's involved with doing that? I gotta take a bite out of them or something?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Shadow Trog's

Ivaz shakes her head a bit.

Nope, never stole somebody's life essence before. I am connected to somebody that way, but that wasn't my doing. What's involved with doing that? I gotta take a bite out of them or something?
    Keiko grins and her nine tails flick and wave

Nope! Just gotta touch them, that's all. Armor and clothes don't usually matter unless they're especially enchanted to block us. We jump out, scare the crap out of 'em, give 'em a tap on the shoulder, and then we're set! It's not a sensation to miss!

29. - Top - End - #149

Shadow Trog's

Ivaz grins and leans back in her seat a bit, putting her hands behind her head.

Is that all? I used to work in the information department of a mercenary group. I was in charge of interrogation. I know how to scare people.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow Trog's]

Keiko gets a waiter's attention and orders a couple of doubles of her favorite scotch

This'll be awesome. You hungry at all?