New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: Planeside

1. - Top - End - #181
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Planeside

[The Gloom - Azgul Fortress]
    And though there's nothing to imply that it's looking at her, though she would much rather it wouldn't, Rabbit can feel it's...gaze? It hardly has a full form, but whatever it's doing, she can feel it's consideration weigh heavily down on her.
    Slowly, Rabbit lets her green eyes drift upwards, taking a peek at it through the fringe of her bangs, though any look she gives isn't complete, but like a flickering to-and-from.
    What does it want, looking at me that way?

Though Rabbit doesn't seem to view it reverentially, she does have considerably more respect for it than Solana.

"I'm not one for propositions. I've already made more deals recently than I'm comfortable with."

One.
    She's made one arrangement.
    But it's still more than she'd like.

"Rabbit."
    Last edited by RabbitHoleLost; 2014-11-24 at 04:46 AM.

"This is why it hurts the way it hurts.
    You have too many words in your head.
    There are too many ways to describe the way you feel.
    You will never have the luxury of a dull ache.
    You must suffer through the intricacy of feeling too much"

— Iain S. Thomas

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Gloom - Nightterror Attack]

Kr tumbles clumsily to the side, narrowly dodging the pillar of disgustingness that attempt to smoosh her.

Indeed it's a rather clumsy dodge, and she's going to spend the next round getting her bearings back for another counter attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Gloom - VIGILite Fight!]

Boy, it seems like everyone is occupied right now, doesn't it?

The giant tendril that just narrowly missed KR sends up a spray of bone fragments before sweeping toward her, aiming to smash into her with all the sublime grace of a speeding freight train.

As for several more limbs, they seem to be interested in crushing the lich into dust. I hear lich dust is a pretty cool magical reagent if you can get a bottle of it. Or is that just superstition?

Anywho!

At about this time an awful, reverberating voice suddenly splits the sky, dripping with a horrifying sense of doom. No, not doom like DOOOM! Doom like fate. Terrible fate. You're going to get eaten by the giant gloom-doom cloud sort of fate. A voice at once terrible in its immensity and yet little more than a still, small whisper.

"~You shall not survive. Give up.~
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

The Gloom- VIGILante Excursion

The lich opens his eyes, no longer worried about the link between his body and his soul; it's as reinforced as he can make it, and the Nightterror doesn't seem to be continuing that attack. Still holding the glowing jar of sunlight, he tries to dodge the various limbs, surprisingly agile for a creature that looks like a dessicated corpse. When the voice speaks, however, he responds quickly. "I shall survive. I refuse to die. You WILL submit to ME." He reaches out, casting a spell that leeches all the sunlight from the jar and lets the tentacle grab him. At which point, the spell he is using should flood the thing's brain-analogue with sunlight mixed with necrotic energy, with the aim of completely removing its memories and personality... And free will. If the spell is successful, the Nightterror should find itself unable to ignore anything the lich says.

Lich dust is a rare and powerful reagent, but the magical sort is not created by the destruction of its body, but rather leaks from the remains of a destroyed phylactery. Which as noted, is not on this plane and is very well hidden.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post
    Azgul Fortress

Do you want the honor guard, regardless? I guarantee my children fight better than your frostbitten corpses...she smirks.
    Clearly, she doesn't hold the Lich in any high esteem...it would serve its purpose. That is all.

Woman...tell me your name, and I will make you a proposition.
    The being simply stares towards her, a rather unclear answer to her question. Again, it doesn't appear to react to her offensive tone, seemingly to only understand what she's asking at the basest sense, the complexity of human communication lost on it. It's certainly unnerving, but the necromancer would do well to send the honor guard anyway. It seemed that for what the monstrosity had in store would require well-trained warriors. With Snjókomu there along with the necromancer's elite, what force could stand against them?

For now, the being continues to stare blankly, faceless and formless.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    [The Gloom - Azgul Fortress]
    And though there's nothing to imply that it's looking at her, though she would much rather it wouldn't, Rabbit can feel it's...gaze? It hardly has a full form, but whatever it's doing, she can feel it's consideration weigh heavily down on her.
    Slowly, Rabbit lets her green eyes drift upwards, taking a peek at it through the fringe of her bangs, though any look she gives isn't complete, but like a flickering to-and-from.
    What does it want, looking at me that way?

Though Rabbit doesn't seem to view it reverentially, she does have considerably more respect for it than Solana.

"I'm not one for propositions. I've already made more deals recently than I'm comfortable with."

One.
    She's made one arrangement.
    But it's still more than she'd like.

"Rabbit."
    The thing shifts a little, moving to the right of her. It's bizarre, though the thing has the texture and appearance of a deep dark smoke, it moves through the air like liquid, it's very form altering the way reality is perceived by those around it. At the same time, the air around it is affected by a mirage, as if the being gives off incredible heat, despite the fact that it does the exact opposite, sucking in all warmth like a great black hole. It's rather difficult to tell which way it's looking as well, so again, Rabbit will most likely begin to feel uncomfortable, or rather continue to exist in her state of nervousness. As far as one could tell, it didn't seem to desire to make anyone uncomfortable, it was just a side-effect of it's existence. Perhaps where it came from these side-effects were a regular thing, but around those of this plane, this world, it was quite odd. It was nearly impossible to tell where it was looking, for no matter where you stood beside it, you always seemed to be gazing at it's front.

That's impossible, isn't it?

These questions will no doubt be nagging at Rabbit's mind as the silent being moves about her, now making it's center of attention a lot more clear. It is most definitely staring right towards her, gazing deeply into her, although eye contact is impossible with the thing's 'face' barely being anything but a head-shaped orb of smoke. This was a strange thing, and dangerous, no doubt.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Halfling in the Playground

Azgul Fortress - The Gloom

Solana dismissively opens a black portal with a wave of her hand.
    Go then, my children will meet you there...

Her business with the lich is finished for now.
    The Nightshade had more interesting matters to attend to.

Rabbit...I am Solana the Nightwalker, and I have given up potential size and physical might for magical prowess.
    Become my student, my acolyte, and I will teach you my ways.

As she speaks, a thin bar of darkness fades into existence, held between her hands as if it had always been here.
    While Solana explains that Rabbit need not stay at all times, the bar transforms into a shortsword of solidshade. She hands it to the human, perfectly balanced for Rabbit.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Gloom]

A tentacle the size of a tree-trunk, moving at freight-train speeds against a prone target with impaired mobility due to the fact that her last (largely unimpressive) assault burned the tips of her fingers off. That doesn't sound too promising. Only the sheer ridiculous number of protective enchantments Kr placed on herself before coming to the Gloom prevent her from doing her best impersonation of a bug on the windscreen of a F-35 fighterjet traveling at supersonic speeds, and more than half of them fail outright when confronted from the sheer force of the impact, the rest serving well enough to prevent her ribs from shattering and her organs from rupturing as she gets knocked a fair distance by the whirling tentacle, tumbling through the air like a golf ball aggressively chipped out of a bunker by a particularly disgruntled bank sub-manager on a gloomy Saturday morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

A portal has opened here, appearing in the rift of a small branch of the great tree.

The world the portal opens into consists of a single great tree, spreading up, and down, as far as the eye can see, though the circumference is notably less than that of a standard round world, it extends far enough in both directions that the tree's crown and roots are out of sight. Gravity is down towards the bark, so nobody passing through the portal is at any risk of falling off. Growing across the bark is a thick mat of lichen that in properties closely resembles grass, though it's lichen's grey-green colour.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Yggdrasil]

Cleosepha the Pink Wizard emerges from the portal, landing lightly in the lichen mat and twirling around once or twice. She hums a happy little verse that should cause the lichen-grass to waves back and forth in rings for a few moments.
    Then she takes stock of where they are and falls over in dizziness, falling to seated, knees slightly bent, dress slightly disarrayed on the tree trunk. It just goes down, well onward, forever. At least that's what it looks like. No curve of the world to take it out of view, in fact it should be thicker that way, or is it that way? and yet it's out of view from nothing but distance and air.
    "Look at that."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

Our nanosuit-wearing friend The Fixer emerges next from the portal, one feet landing on the lichen mat, and then the other. He's somewhat surprised to find that he doesn't need any extra effort to keep his balance on the tree branch. He looks up and down, the tree crown and roots out of sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden
    "Look at that."
    "I'll say. He replies as he keeps observing the area they're at.
    Last edited by Cyber Punk; 2015-02-08 at 07:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Yggdrasil

With a thud Arlen lands face first into the strange grass, as he explodes out of the portal, just narrowly missing the others before him.

"Wow" he says as he sits up right and looks around while rubbing his head.

His moment of still amazement is abruptly cut short as he notices the odd gravity. Moving from side to side on the branch as he stands, he thinks he understands it.

He bursts out into light hearted playful laugh as he begins sprinting down the branch towards the tree trunk, should the branch they are on be thin enough, he will be running on a diagonal path, looping around it as he goes.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

The main thing limiting vision is the fact it's a tree, with lots of branches and leaves that are getting in the way.

Arlen does understand the gravity correctly, and goes on his looping run down the branch. The main trunk is many miles thick; thin enough that it doesn't fill the eye like a continent, thick enough that it's a serious amount of tree. After they're all through, the sprouting branch from which the portal opened splits and morphs back into a dryad- Veggmaleri is here, too.

Anybody looking closely enough may note, far in the distance in what might be 'up' the tree (it's hard to tell), a cluster of regular shapes built about the base of a larger branch.

13. - Top - End - #193

[Yggdrasil]

Cleo gets to her feet, and, why not, follows Arlen down the branch. Looks like fun. At first it looked like he'd fall, but gravity is clearly too fun here for that.
    "Hahahah! What a place."

"Oh, are you headed somewhere in particular here, Veggmaleri? Those buildings up there?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

The Fixer slowly shakes his head and walks in a straight line after Cleo and Arlen, smiling a bit when he sees Arlen having fun. He decides to practice his wall-walking skills (that is, he walks in a manner that makes the tree seem horizontal from his point of view). He does so with a straight face.

As Cleo speaks to Veggmaleri, Fixer notices that to his left, there are some regular shapes clustered together about a larger branch. "Veggmaleri, what are those? Buildings? Homes? Other dryads, perhaps?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Yggdrasil
    Arlen continues on slightly ahead of the group and as he nears the trunk he will wait on the other side (underside?) of the branch, out of site beneath the rest of the group.

He rumages in his pockets searching for something but comes out empty handed, plonking himself down onto the strange grass he untied a shoe and romoved his sock.
    He giggles to himself at the thought of surprise this should give the others as he throws it off the branch and spins around ready to catch it.

He kept it low and didn't throw too hard, he's hoping it carries around and comes back around behind him.

(He hadn't noticed what the others had yet.)
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2015-02-09 at 11:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

"I don't know where I'm going. I'll just tag along with you. I've not been here before either. I think they're buildings. As I said, I've not been here before, so I don't know." Veggmaleri follows the others, walking at a sedate pace.

The sock is thrown! Socks don't throw easily, and the gravity is greater than that of Deimos in Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (if that is not where you got the idea from, I recommend the book... once you've read Red Mars, the first book in the trilogy) so the Fixer, Veggmaleri and Cleosepha see the sock arc past them to land just out of sight of Arlen.

17. - Top - End - #197

[Yggdrasil]

Cleo snatches up the sock and hurls it so that it can hopefully go further around its orbit.
    "Come on, Arlen! There's something to see up there!"
    And she gets back to walking towards them, at quite a quick pace. Think of all that could be there!
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

[yggdrasil]

"She's only two days old"
    Arlen proudly calls from his side of the branch trying to speak impressively with his limited retained knowlage.

Arlen laughs as his sock flys around to him. After quickly pulling it back on with his shoe he jumps up and runs around to meet the others.
    As his eyes fall on the dryad his movement comes to a sudden hault as his face is hit by a mix between a happy smile and a bashful shock.

"Alright so where we going?" He asks excitedly shaking off a now familiar surprise while looking at the others.

Once they point it out he will run one lap around the branch before heading to the trunk, always excitedly skipping and jumping around a few feet infront of the group.

((Nope, wasn't in reference to the book but I shall check it out :)))
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2015-02-11 at 07:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

[Yggdrasil]

"Hmm..." The Fixer thinks to himself. She seems to have been born with innate knowledge of her species, but she probably lacked real experience. "I'm guessing you actually haven't met any of your sisters."

"I think it's safe to say we're headed in that direction." Fixer points in the direction of the regular shapes. When they all get to the end of the branch, he would begin walking or climbing towards the shapes.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

It's more that she was 'born' with an innate telepathic connection to the consciousness of Yggdrasil itself (which has basic knowledge, but Yggdrasil is an immortal, plane-spanning tree) and a complete understanding of the common language of Nexus humanoids, the language of fey and the secret language of druids. And then spent two whole days (she doesn't need to sleep) talking to unicorns.

"Nope, not yet. I know they exist, and I can... Feel them, in here." She puts her hand over the centre of her chest between her breasts as she says the last bit. "Three of them will be here soon." She continues walking, stepping off the branch and putting her foot on the main trunk and reorienting herself easily to the new 'down' direction.

((They're science fiction, written by a science lecturer at an American university. He knows his stuff- and ruined Mars for me, too. He used an actual map of Mars for the trilogy.))

21. - Top - End - #201

Yggdrasil

Cleo nods to Veggmaleri, and hurries to keep up with Arlen. She jumps from the branch and turns a somersault to land on the trunk. Every moment playing with the wonderful changing gravity direction.
    "I look forward to seeing them."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Yggdrasil

(Removed post about Arlen asking if he could try feel them too)

"Three of them?" He asks, suddenly stopping and looking around, "and you can just feel it?"

"Your family is friendly, right?" He continues on seemingly to be in a mixed state of nerves and excitement.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

((Sounds like a book I'd be interested in. I'll check out the series.))

Fixer nods, then follows suit, catching up to the others and putting one foot, then the other on the trunk and reorienting himself like Veggmaleri did.

"I look forward to seeing them as well, Veggmaleri."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

((It's Red Mars, then Green Mars, and finally Blue Mars. All by Kim Stanley Robinson.))

"Should be. I don't know for certain, though- I've not met them yet. They'll be here about... Now." She closes her eyes as speaks the last bit to concentrate on the feeling. As she says 'now', a large red squirrel bounds around the tree trunk, coming to a stop a few metres away. The squirrel is scaled to slightly larger than a horse, and riding on its back are three more dryads that quickly climb off to greet the newcomers. The first to approach appears elfin, with a slender build and pointed ears; she's thinner by far than Veggmaleri, and appears a year or so younger. The next is built more solidly; not fat or muscular, but less elfin and more buxom; she seems about seventeen, and slightly taller than the first. The third is the shortest; also elfin in build, with incredibly long, delicate ear-points; she appears to be the youngest, about fourteen, and keeps the taller girls between her and the strangers.

The thinnest dryad is the first to speak, and curtsies. "Welcome, sister. I am Korisfa, and these are Yteved and Blodau." Yteved being the human-framed one, and Blodau being the smallest. Both curtsy themselves as they hear their names; Blodau's curtsy is the lowest and most graceful, despite all three being completely nude and lacking skirts to spread.

((This should have been posted yesterday, but I think I accidentally logged out & closed before pressing the 'submit' button. It was all saved, however.))

25. - Top - End - #205

[Yggdrasil]

Look at the squirrel.

Cleo curtsies to the dryads after their introduction, and she does have clothing to spread and flourish.
    "Greetings all of you."
    "You are concerned about something?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

[Yggdrasil]

Fixer focuses on the squirrel. If I didn't mention it before, silly me, Fixer is covered in his nanosuit from neck to toe. His head sports a very low crew cut, and his purple eyes is covered in a transparent hard-light visor that is equally purple. (Like this pic, but purple).

Anyway, it's obvious that Fixer is focused on the squirrel in awe. That awe is disguised, but it's still slightly obvious. That is one big squirrel.

Fixer nods his head. "Greetings, lad-- err... dryads. Happy to meet you, you may call me The Fixer." He'll let Cleo and Arlen introduce themselves.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Yggdrasil

"Woah, you girls too?" Arlen says as his face returns to the embarrassed red. He had got used to one naked dryad but 4!!!
    'why didn't tree people wear clothes' he wondered.

His conflicted eyes nervously bounce around for a while, the squirrel! thats a safe place to look.

"Oh"

He folds over in a deep bow,

"My names Arlen, it's a pleasure to meet you, Korisfa, Yteved Blodau"
    He grants each one a bow and smile as he recites their names, then as if he can contain himself no further he bursts out with an excited giggle as he runs before the giant squirrel.

"Wow, it's massive!" He says in awe before looking back to the girls. "Can I pat it?"

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shadow-Inside]

Frederick leads the way, uncomfortable as he is with that, and heads through the twisting streets of Inside on the shadow plane toward the northwest gate along with Helen and Steven.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Shadow-Inside

Steven follows along cheerily, whistles and using a small walking stick he shaped out of shadows.
    "It's really quite interesting, how it all looks so similar and so different at the same time." he comments idly.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Yggdrasil

"We just wanted to meet our sister, and quiz her about the new world linked to Father. Don't mind Blodau, she's shy. And we're still ladies, as well as dryads, Master Fixer. An unusual name; what is it that you fix?" Korisfa approaches the Fixer whilst Yteved and Veggmaleri walk a short distance away and sit down to discuss the Nexus and Yteved's world.

Blodau's looking more on Arlen than the others. "Here, let me introduce you before you approach. Lets him know you're friendly. He's my Ratatosk, he'll listen to me." Blodau will try to catch Arlen before he gets too close to the squirrel. If she doesn't, the giant rodent will try to bite Arlen's face with massive incisors that could cut through his skull easily.