New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Male

Default [Incarnum] Spells Targeting Soulmelds

I don't know if I missed it in the rules text somewhere, but (aside from Dispelling and Disjunction) can soulmelds be directly targeted by spells, such as Invisibility, Sequester, and Prestidigitation? Are they affected by the spells cast on you? Can they be damaged? I don't think the latter is doable, but I'm not entirely sure about the rest of it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: [Incarnum] Spells Targeting Soulmelds

"A shaped soulmeld acts as a normal object that might be worn, such as boots, armor, or a robe except for the following: they cannot be removed from the individual wearing them, they cannot be damaged except as specifically noted and they don't have a weight (though they can restrict movement, thus giving an armor check penalty if applicable)."

Thus by RAW, yes, you can target them with invisibility. Sequester however would do nothing, because that would count as "removing them from the individual." Prestidigitation can clean or soil them, though the saving throw (whatever it is) might apply.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Aye. Soulmelds are best viewed as "I cast a spell that lasts 24 hours and this weird object is the visual effect of that spell" when trying to decide if they're objects or effects or what. It's more viscerally accurate than puzzling through their weirdness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    "A shaped soulmeld acts as a normal object that might be worn, such as boots, armor, or a robe except for the following: they cannot be removed from the individual wearing them, they cannot be damaged except as specifically noted and they don't have a weight (though they can restrict movement, thus giving an armor check penalty if applicable)."

Thus by RAW, yes, you can target them with invisibility. Sequester however would do nothing, because that would count as "removing them from the individual."
    Why would that count as "removing them from the individual"? All Sequester does is make an object invisible, even to True Seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Prestidigitation can clean or soil them, though the saving throw (whatever it is) might apply.
    It can also change the color, in case you're sick of everything being blue all the time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik View Post
    Why would that count as "removing them from the individual"? All Sequester does is make an object invisible, even to True Seeing.
    Derp. I totally confused that with Imprisonment. Yeah Sequester should work; it would be no different than sequestering your armor or shield.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Male

That being settled, what would you consider to be the best spells (and psionic powers) to target your soulmelds with? I rather like taking the Ghostly Grasp feat, casting Persisted Ghostform on myself (and all my items) and affecting all my soulmelds and most of my equipment with Chained Sequester. Add some truedeath crystals to my weapons and make my armor out of serren wood or jade, and suddenly I've got Schrödinger's ghost, where I count as corporeal or incorporeal simultaneously, and all of my soulmelds (and clothing) are invisible and incorporeal.

Who needs visible clothing when your physical stats and Charisma are all sky-high?
    Last edited by Rubik; 2014-10-16 at 12:56 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Who needs visible clothing when your physical stats and Charisma are all sky-high?
    Talya, is that you?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Male

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Talya, is that you?
    Nyet, but beyond practical concerns, the idea of clothing is kind of ridiculous.